POSTGAME: Community Series vs Carlton

Demonland

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Don’t be childish. We have an exceptional best 22. We haven’t done enough to turn over the 24-32 spots on the list at a crucial time where a couple of good mature body role players could be vital. 

Might be worth reviewing the trades / list changes of all clubs last year. If you cant be bothered, I will let you know. There was next to no trade related activity. 

It is actually a massive positive that guys like Weid, Melksham and co, have hung around in the hope that they can get a game, rather than going to a weaker club where they could be starting 22.  How you can spin this as a negative astounds me. 

Edited by 1964_2
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I know small forwards can be terrific tackling/defensive weapons but they should also be aiming to hit the scoreboard and crumbing off the big blokes is a major source of opportunity.

That is simply it: a dual role for small forwards is essential . A third role might be 'getting under the feet' of opposition backs as annoying little blowflies with the intent of destroying their (the opposition's) critical balance, just like Paul Callery used to do.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We’re moving the ball too quick and playing pairs of talls (I count Fritsch as a tall) deep. We need to ease back the speed of ball movement just a bit, spread the ball more and get it in to the talls as the smalls come in. Plus starting a small deeper at times would help as well. 

Our forward structure was certainly poor last night. I remember one occasion near the goal square when 3 Carlton defenders were in the picture and not a forward to be seen.

• Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We’re moving the ball too quick and playing pairs of talls (I count Fritsch as a tall) deep. We need to ease back the speed of ball movement just a bit, spread the ball more and get it in to the talls as the smalls come in. Plus starting a small deeper at times would help as well. 

Please take your pills, go have a lie down, and then watch the replay of the Grand final. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

You'd pay out Melksham's contract just to get him off the list. That's just stupidity. He's definitely depth at worst and I would argue he's better than that. I agree that Baker hasn't set the world on fire but you have absolutely no foundation to say at this stage he'll never be an AFL player. The same about Weideman. He signed a new contract last year so clearly the Club still thinks he has some potential. As you know Mitch Brown is a rookie-listed player, as is Majak Daw). They cost us basically nothing, are on the list for one year sat a time, and both have performed at senior AFL level in the past. Brown played one game last year and kicked 2 goals in the Round 5 Win against Hawthorn. Majak is basically back-up for Gawn & Jackson and on form probably is the best ruckman running around in the VFL. He didn't get a game last year because we had no ruck injuries. List Management isn't about paying over-the-odds for players in their declining years at the expense of younger players with potential. It's about having a balanced list and fitting that within the salary cap. Melksham and Mitch Brown are depth players who cost us nothing but I guess you'd remove them off the list because you've decided you don't like them. So much for worrying about our depth.

Weids is a fine depth tall.

Melksham hasn’t played well since 2018. 3 years now. He doesn’t play our brand.

Mitch Brown has never played our brand and got cut from Essendon years ago, waste of a spot. 

Baker has 4 years of not being anything like an afl footballer. Clear evidence 

Majak a nice depth piece. No idea why we didn’t have a ruck on the list until a few weeks from the 2021 season but so be it.

I’ve got no issues with Turner and Deak Smith as developmental rookies. Doesn’t mean we couldn’t have tried a few 21-25 year olds. 

2 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

My namesake needs to pull his finger out and quickly. People will point to the fact that he laid 8 tackles. Big deal. Did any of them stick and cause turnover in our favour? Whether it's the position he is playing at the moment or something else, he is all out of sorts. He does not get to any of the right spots as a small forward. We literally had no representation at ground last night. He doesn't know where to be when we don't have the ball. I think he needs some serious guidance, as he is ineffectual at the moment, as he was on GF Day. I hope he can find his mojo, otherwise a spell at Casey may reignite the spark. Seemed to have plenty of 'leisure time' over the summer. Time to get serious. 

Harsh indeed, on many fronts. Not sure what you mean by too much leisure time over summer, I’ve never seen him in better shape. Last two praccy games he’s spent quite a bit of time in the midfield, particularly at stoppages. What I saw at Casey v North was pretty exciting really, adding x-factor and genuine speed to our midfield mix. Last night he ran out the game strongly. He is bloody fit and he is deadly serious. And he ain’t just a small forward anymore.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DemonOX said:

Two question for me:

1. Will Goody review the game and 

2. Is goody the right guy

🏆😉😉😉😉😁😁😁😁🏆

I heard on good authority that Goodwin hasn't even reviewed the GF yet!

could be trouble!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

My namesake needs to pull his finger out and quickly. People will point to the fact that he laid 8 tackles. Big deal. Did any of them stick and cause turnover in our favour? Whether it's the position he is playing at the moment or something else, he is all out of sorts. He does not get to any of the right spots as a small forward. We literally had no representation at ground last night. He doesn't know where to be when we don't have the ball. I think he needs some serious guidance, as he is ineffectual at the moment, as he was on GF Day. I hope he can find his mojo, otherwise a spell at Casey may reignite the spark. Seemed to have plenty of 'leisure time' over the summer. Time to get serious. 

Yes defence is fine but we need some offence to go with it.

18 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Sydney, umpires have been called maggots as long as I can remember, going way back to when I first started going to the footy in the sixties. 

Compared to other names I have heard directed at them, it sits at the lower end of the offensive scale for me.

There was a time when fans would scream at the umpires calling them F_____. Rhymes with maggot. And it wouldn’t be a match without the odd death threat being issued. 

20 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Sydney, umpires have been called maggots as long as I can remember, going way back to when I first started going to the footy in the sixties. 

Compared to other names I have heard directed at them, it sits at the lower end of the offensive scale for me.

Fair enough. Some of us have moved on from the 60s, but to those who haven't.... I was born in 1960 but doesn't mean that you can't progress in your thinking post-1975. I suppose there are plenty on this site who think racial abuse is still OK because it was common place historically. I'm happy to say I don't.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 3

2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

There was a time when fans would scream at the umpires calling them F_____. Rhymes with maggot. And it wouldn’t be a match without the odd death threat being issued. 

I did a doco on footy fans for a uni project back in 2008 (doesn’t feel that long ago); p**f, f****t, c**t, and just about every other name (though thankfully never witnessed any racial slurs) was common place. I’m all for passion and creating an atmosphere but I’m definitely glad the language has tidied up (mostly, not all the time). 

Maggot worked when they were all in white, doesn’t make any sense now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

And the wonderful experiences Collingwood players had of fans spitting in their faces affter a loss at Victoria Park. How I miss being abused by fans from opposition clubs catching the train home from Richmond Station. The good old days.

• Haha 1

The wrist slashing after a practice game that we lost by 5 points, with next to no intensity shown by the players is quite extraordinary.

What makes it even more amazing is we also just won a flag for the first time in 57 years only 5 months ago.....

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

The wrist slashing after a practice game that we lost by 5 points, with next to no intensity shown by the players is quite extraordinary.

What makes it even more amazing is we also just won a flag for the first time in 57 years only 5 months ago.....

interesting.......can you provide a link

edit: asking for a friend

Edited by daisycutter
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

If we can afford to pay Melk to play we could afford to pay him out and scrape together the money for an extra draft pick. 

I don’t even have to see these guys play at lower levels. They never get picked at afl level! The coaches are letting us all know loud and clear that Chandler, Smith and Hunt are about the best we’ve got outside the 23.

Laurie’s got some moves but he’s sub 180 without speed. Don’t need to watch him play to know it’s hard to get an afl gig on the flank as a young player with that combination. He’ll get fitter and stronger in time. 

My issue isn’t the first and second year kids, they need time. It’s the lack of list turnover from fringe players that doesn’t make sense to me.

Are you kidding? So you pay a bloke not to play whose definitely still in our top 30? Then you find money (that should be put aside to use on required players) to use on a low-level draft pick that's highly unlikely to make it. 

I'm very impressed that you are able to address talent without seeing it. You are clearly psychic. The only reason you haven't seen these young players is because we had no injuries in 2021 and had winning form. 

The lack of list turnover is something you've made up. It just isn't true. I already posted about last year's delistings. We all know the reasons Melksham's still at the Club. Daw & Mitch Brown are depth players and rookies so they cost us very little. We could have delisted Mitch Brown and replaced him with a delisted player from another club but I think key position players that you can put on a rookie contract are a little thin on the ground. Laurie was a 2020 Draft Pick who got injured last year. Just as well Bowey made the side in Round 20 or no doubt you would have written him off since he'd already breen on our list for 10 months and hadn't yet been picked! We have no-one 24yo+ who isn't experienced and close to senior selection. Who would you trade of the following? 

Melbourne Demons Season 2022 Players Demons Past Players  

No Name Games Age Date of Birth Height Weight Origin Position
14 Hibberd, Michael 173 32yr 2mth 3 Jan 1990 186cm 94kg Frankston Defender
38 Brown, Mitchell R 76 31yr 6mth 28 Aug 1990 196cm 91kg Sandringham Dragons Forward
28 Daw, Majak R 54 30yr 11mth 11 Mar 1991 195cm 97kg Western Jets Defender
Ruck
18 Melksham, Jake 195 30yr 6mth 29 Aug 1991 186cm 86kg Calder Cannons Forward
11 Gawn, Max 159 30yr 2mth 30 Dec 1991 208cm 108kg Sandringham Dragons Ruck
1 May, Steven 171 30yr 1mth 10 Jan 1992 193cm 100kg Southern Districts Defender
25 McDonald, Tom 193 29yr 5mth 18 Sep 1992 194cm 99kg North Ballarat Forward
50 Brown, Ben 143 29yr 3mth 20 Nov 1992 200cm 100kg Werribee Tigers Forward
20 Tomlinson, Adam 160 28yr 6mth 10 Aug 1993 194cm 96kg Oakleigh Chargers Defender
7 Viney, Jack 150 27yr 10mth 13 Apr 1994 178cm 86kg Oakleigh Chargers Midfield
27 Dunstan, Luke 116 27yr 1mth 29 Jan 1995 185cm 84kg Woodville West Torrens Midfield
29 Hunt, Jayden 94 26yr 11mth 3 Apr 1995 187cm 81kg Brighton Grammar Defender
3 Salem, Christian 130 26yr 7mth 15 Jul 1995 183cm 84kg Sandringham Dragons Defender
4 Harmes, James 122 26yr 4mth 5 Oct 1995 185cm 85kg Dandenong Stingrays Midfield
5 Petracca, Christian 127 26yr 1mth 4 Jan 1996 186cm 97kg Eastern Ranges Midfield
10 Brayshaw, Angus 119 26yr 1mth 9 Jan 1996 187cm 91kg Sandringham Dragons Midfield
30 Neal-Bullen, Alex 105 26yr 1mth 9 Jan 1996 183cm 80kg Glenelg Forward
15 Langdon, Ed 109 26yr 1mth 1 Feb 1996 182cm 76kg Sandringham Dragons Midfield
44 Smith, Joel 21 26yr 25 Feb 1996 191cm 88kg Geelong Supercats Defender
8 Lever, Jake 117 25yr 11mth 5 Mar 1996 195cm 89kg Calder Cannons Defender
31 Fritsch, Bayley 85 25yr 2mth 6 Dec 1996 188cm 84kg Casey Demons Forward
26 Weideman, Sam 49 24yr 8mth 26 Jun 1997 195cm 94kg Eastern Ranges Forward
13 Oliver, Clayton 124 24yr 7mth 22 Jul 1997 187cm 88kg Murray Bushrangers Midfield
33 Baker, Oskar 13 23yr 9mth 25 May 1998 184cm 84kg Aspley Midfield
35 Petty, Harrison 30 22yr 3mth 12 Nov 1999 197cm 90kg Norwood Defender
9 Spargo, Charlie 59 22yr 3mth 25 Nov 1999 173cm 74kg Murray Bushrangers Forward
37 Chandler, Kade R 2 22yr 1mth 13 Jan 2000 175cm 76kg Norwood Forward
12 Bedford, Toby 2 21yr 9mth 27 May 2000 179cm 71kg Dandenong Stingrays Forward
32 Sparrow, Tom 23 21yr 9mth 31 May 2000 183cm 84kg South Adelaide Midfield
Forward
23 Jordon, James 22 21yr 2mth 20 Dec 2000 187cm 82kg Oakleigh Chargers Midfield
36 Pickett, Kysaiah 39 20yr 9mth 2 Jun 2001 171cm 72kg Woodville West Torrens Forward
24 Rivers, Trent 34 20yr 7mth 30 Jul 2001 188cm 88kg East Fremantle Defender
6 Jackson, Luke 30 20yr 5mth 29 Sep 2001 199cm 100kg East Fremantle Forward
Ruck
42 Turner, Daniel R 0 20yr 1mth 28 Jan 2002 192cm 80kg Murray Bushrangers Defender
16 Laurie, Bailey 0 19yr 11mth 24 Mar 2002 181cm 77kg Oakleigh Chargers Midfield
Forward
19 Rosman, Fraser 0 19yr 9mth 30 May 2002 194cm 84kg Sandringham Dragons Midfield
34 Smith, Deakyn R 0 19yr 6mth 22 Aug 2002 179cm 65kg Dandenong Stingrays Defender
17 Bowey, Jake 7 19yr 5mth 12 Sep 2002 176cm 69kg Sandringham Dragons Defender
40 Woewodin, Taj 0 18yr 11mth 26 Mar 2003 183cm 78kg East Fremantle Midfield
22 Howes, Blake 0 18yr 10mth 7 Apr 2003 190cm 79kg Sandringham Dragons Midfield
Forward
21 Van Rooyen, Jacob 0 18yr 10mth 16 Apr 2003 193cm 91kg Claremont Defender
Forward
41 McVee, Judd R 0 18yr 6mth 7 Aug 2003 183cm 72kg East Fremantle Defender
Midfield
45 Moniz-Wakefield, Andy R 0 18yr 4mth 26 Oct 2003 181cm 70kg NT Thunder Midfield

• Like 6

You can't win the flag at this time of year but you can lose it.

Looks to me like we have had a good preseason.

We have no long-term injuries, zero injuries to key players and we look fit (9 out of 11 last goals).

The players who will miss against the Dogs (Petty and Rivers) are replaceable.

We have been given a lesson to shut our traps and give the ball back faster.

The Blues were pretty impressive IMO. McGovern looked excellent down back. Kennedy played well. Cripps is a star again.

Viney looks like he could do with another run but it's a long year and we need to be careful not to over do him.

Lever started poorly but got better. Fritsch a similar story.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth a mate messaged me this morning. He's a coterie member at Richmond and is / was one of the mods on the VFL footy in the 80's facebook page I think. He watched the second half of the game last night and thinks we'll still finish top this year. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Some old timers on this forum have forgotten to take their afternoon nap pills it seems lol...

Can’t remember where l put them Dazzle😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ben E said:

Harsh indeed, on many fronts. Not sure what you mean by too much leisure time over summer, I’ve never seen him in better shape. Last two praccy games he’s spent quite a bit of time in the midfield, particularly at stoppages. What I saw at Casey v North was pretty exciting really, adding x-factor and genuine speed to our midfield mix. Last night he ran out the game strongly. He is bloody fit and he is deadly serious. And he ain’t just a small forward anymore.

He ain’t exactly a midfielder either. Hunt gets criticism for the fact he runs quick but butchers it, not sure Kozzy does much better. Easily moved off the ball at centre bounces and hardly likes to get down and dirty. In say that, he does tackle. Think he needs to be more desperate and make better decisions with ball in hand

• Facepalm 2