• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Community Series vs Carlton

Demonland

20 hours ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Fair enough. Some of us have moved on from the 60s, but to those who haven't.... I was born in 1960 but doesn't mean that you can't progress in your thinking post-1975. I suppose there are plenty on this site who think racial abuse is still OK because it was common place historically. I'm happy to say I don't.

I have never racially abused a maggot or an umpire in my life and I doubt there would hardly be anyone on this site that endorses racism. In fact despite the negative comments re players at times, I'm often buoyed by the fact of how racism is rightfully condemned here.

PS 1975 was a great year.

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
  Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
   Walk This Way - Aerosmith
 .Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
 I'm Not In Love - 10cc

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I have never racially abused a maggot or an umpire in my life and I doubt there would hardly be anyone on this site that endorses racism. In fact despite the negative comments re players at times, I'm often buoyed by the fact of how racism is rightfully condemned here.

PS 1975 was a great year.

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
  Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
   Walk This Way - Aerosmith
 .Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
 I'm Not In Love - 10cc

my five faves from 75:

1. bob dylan - blood on the tracks
  2. pink floyd - wish you were here
  3. bruce springsteen - born to run
  4. neil young - tonight's the night
  5. patti smith - horses

helluva year

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 2

Following the AFL’s determination that players can’t express their opinions on decisions to the umps anymore, it was reported on the radio this morning that a club has instructed its players not to say anything to them at all. Though that could be problematic at the coin toss, maybe we’ll see some interpretive dance?

If this is the path the AFL really wants to take, they should instruct the umpires to revert back to referring to players by their numbers not their names and stop pretending they’re best mates with the players. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, defuture15 said:

Gill just said on TV that he wants the umpires and players to mix off the field more. Said it was about respect not dissension. Clarifies what I saw last Thursday night.

I can't work out if you mean the last sentence or are being ironic?

• Like 2

No that's what his intention was. Answering back. Demonstrative responses from players. It wasn't well advertised and seemed very precious. Apparently it's about showing respect to officials at all levels. He wants the interaction with umpires and players in the rooms etc. To encourage respectful interactions.

I guess we are all "stakeholders"

I was very wild on Thursday night as it was as subtle as a sledgehammer 

Edited by defuture15

3 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Underselling Tomo I reckon. There were stages early last year people had started talking about the possibility he would be AA.

Were those people of mentally sound mind? He’ll be the CHB for sure until Petty makes it a conversation, and as long as he can play on rucks or ordinary talls he can do a very solid job. But he has limitations with a lack of speed and doesn’t dominate aerially. I’d be shocked if he was ever in AA contention 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Were those people of mentally sound mind? He’ll be the CHB for sure until Petty makes it a conversation, and as long as he can play on rucks or ordinary talls he can do a very solid job. But he has limitations with a lack of speed and doesn’t dominate aerially. I’d be shocked if he was ever in AA contention 

Love Petty and I personally would have him ahead of Tomlinson currently just on recent form, but people have forgotten how good Tomo was early last year. He also had the best loss % of defensive one on ones before injury.

I don't think you have to be quick or dominate aerially to be All-Australian. There's more than enough players throughout the history of the AA team that point to that too. I don't think he would have ended up AA last year had he not been injured, but you have a short memory if you can't recall people talking about how important he was.

Tomlinson, who will miss the remainder of the season with a knee injury, conceded just one of his 21 one-on-one contests this season to have him ranked as the most miserly defender for contests lost.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/621252/the-young-forwards-coming-for-tom-hawkins-crown

The fantastic form of defenders like Steven May, Jake Lever and Adam Tomlinson has been crucial.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-demon-denial-why-melbourne-s-defence-is-at-its-best-since-1965-20210420-p57ks4.html

Melbourne – Adam Tomlinson

Melbourne’s defence are finally starting to find some synergy and after superb performances from Jake Lever and Steven May in Round 1, it was Adam Tomlinson’s turn to impact the contest. While he didn’t light the stats sheet alight, Tomlinson was a rock in defence as the Saints tried to claw their way back in ‘Spud’s Game’. The 27-year-old finished with 17 touches at 94 per cent, an equal team-high 11 marks and four rebound 50s.

https://www.aflplayers.com.au/news-feed/stories/unsung-heroes-round-2-4

Melbourne- Adam Tomlinson

With Steven May substituted out of the game before half-time, Adam Tomlinson had to step up, suddenly presented the challenge of playing on Tom Hawkins. And he did. Tomlinson kept the reigning Coleman Medallist to only two goals, which forced Geelong to search for alternative options going forward. Tomlinson, despite only touching the Sherrin eight times himself, was as important as any Demon on the ground.

https://www.aflplayers.com.au/news-feed/stories/unsung-heroes-round-4-5

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, The Chief said:

If this is the path the AFL really wants to take, they should instruct the umpires to revert back to referring to players by their numbers not their names and stop pretending they’re best mates with the players. 

Well they should do this. I can't understand why the umps need to talk to the players at all except to say "play on" or "advantage". They should be able to umpire a game without knowing the name of a single player. They certainly don't need to be giving a running commentary on their own performance, live.

How does soccer do it with Somalia playing Argentina with an Iranian referee? The ref isn't saying "Back two, Diego. Back two mate. Back two." He's using his whistle and signalling the decisions/directions with defined gestures, and that's all he needs to do. Cricket, same. Just about every ball sport or ball/stick sport, same.

Of course the rules of soccer are not a quagmire of interpretations on top of interpretations, but then again, soccer (along with every other game in the world) has not encumbered itself with the bogus concept of "interpretations" at all. Only our game has the self-imposed burden of having to "interpret" its own rules.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Love Petty and I personally would have him ahead of Tomlinson currently just on recent form, but people have forgotten how good Tomo was early last year. He also had the best win % of defensive one on ones before injury.

He was very good and complimented Lever and May. His big tank covered a lot of ground to allow Lever and May to stay in position and his kicking gives some good rebound too. But the Hawkins game was the only one where he ended up on the best forward. 

I don’t trust those one on one stats at all. There’s plenty of 2 on 2 or more contests with the way the game is played where one defender is in prime position and it doesn’t count for that stat. And if you’re playing CHB with Lever alongside and May behind you’re not going to face many one on ones either, hence the 3 or so per game that is was. 

Anyway, he’s a lock. And there might be a few bumps as he gets match fitness back but otherwise he should be at least solid. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Well they should do this. I can't understand why the umps need to talk to the players at all except to say "play on" or "advantage". They should be able to umpire a game without knowing the name of a single player. They certainly don't need to be giving a running commentary on their own performance, live.

How does soccer do it with Somalia playing Argentina with an Iranian referee? The ref isn't saying "Back two, Diego. Back two mate. Back two." He's using his whistle and signalling the decisions/directions with defined gestures, and that's all he needs to do. Cricket, same. Just about every ball sport or ball/stick sport, same.

Of course the rules of soccer are not a quagmire of interpretations on top of interpretations, but then again, soccer (along with every other game in the world) has not encumbered itself with the bogus concept of "interpretations" at all. Only our game has the self-imposed burden of having to "interpret" its own rules.

Perhaps go the Rugby Union way. No players allowed to talk to the ref unless spoken to by the ref. Only Captain can question or speak to ref. Players can only respond with, “Yes sir” when spoken to by the ref.

Edited by John Crow Batty

5 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

That’s not entirely true. There’s always been some grey area with players offside being active players or not. And similarly handball, which has swung the other way and has become clearer but not at all fairer with VAR. Not to mention every time a player is obstructed then dives it becomes one heck of a judgment call.

I agree with the sentiment though. Really there should be a lot more free kicks and initially a lot more quick ball ups rather than asking for throws or play ons in congestion. Then as a massive clamp down on holding occurs, the game opens up. If we can drastically decrease the amount of tackling, we’ll get a far better game.

We also gave up a few 50m for 'delaying' when players asked who had the free.  It took about 15 seconds.  Is that delaying?  I would say not?

And, Oliver was pinned 50m for giving ball to teammate thinking he had the free.

The umps need to not be so whistle happy when it isn't clear who has the free, or the infringement wasn't in line of sight of the player collecting the ball.  Or stand next to and point to the player who has the free. 

Perhaps, it is best to let opps players collect the ball themselves.  That is what some other teams do.

As an aside, I wonder how many 50m the whingeing cats give up.  Good chance by the time they play their game the umps put the whistle away for 50m...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Just out of interest, do you think he is slow. I’m pretty sure he was 2.93s for the 20m at his draft combine, which is pretty quick.  And I don’t recall seeing him beaten easily on the lead ever.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

As an aside, I wonder how many 50m the whingeing cats give up.  Good chance by the time they play their game the umps put the whistle away for 50m...

If the umps look up at the coaches box during cats games they’ll give up about 25 of them. 

• Haha 5

58 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Just out of interest, do you think he is slow. I’m pretty sure he was 2.93s for the 20m at his draft combine, which is pretty quick.  And I don’t recall seeing him beaten easily on the lead ever.

Good in a straight line, takes an eternity to turn and lacks agility. It’s a big reason why he’s well suited to CHB but struggled on the wing in our chaotic game style 

14 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Good in a straight line, takes an eternity to turn and lacks agility. It’s a big reason why he’s well suited to CHB but struggled on the wing in our chaotic game style 

He needs to say hello to TMac’s trainer that improved his turning circle

57 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Missed being able to watch the game live, then saw the score so haven’t bothered to watch the replay. Should I start panicking or just an off day? 

Just a slow start. A few rusty players and some strange umpires.

Dont panic Mr Mannering. Just watch the gf replay instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chook fowler said:

He needs to say hello to TMac’s trainer that improved his turning circle

Your right. I used to have a front wheel Magna that had a smaller Tc than Tmac circa two seasons ago, but he seemed to have fixed this last year and here's hoping he keeps going well this season.

7 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

Perhaps go the Rugby Union way. No players allowed to talk to the ref unless spoken to by the ref. Only Captain can question or speak to ref. Players can only respond with, “Yes sir” when spoken to by the ref.

Probably why there's more biffo in that game.

I think umps have the right not to be abused but that's a big difference to simply arguing the toss of the coin.

Afl players are under considerable duress and while they are well compensated, they need to blow off a little steam now and then. Is pointing to the scoreboard replay and questioning the validity of the decision so offensive?

I mean it's not like those maggots..I mean white grubs...I mean those arbitrary arbitrators get it right all the time. Sometimes we see quite a few absolute howlers. It's pretty hard to not scream from the comfort of my lounge chair, so I can't imagine how hard its is for a player to keep mom.

Just my two cents.