Extended contract for Simon Goodwin?

Supreme_Demon

3 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Learnings are happening. 

Connection forward of centre are happening. 

There's no question.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I believe the panel and the additons this year - Yze and Willimas, Chaplin etc. and Richo's role - helped a lot and the pen should be out for them. This coaching /mgt team needs to stay together also, at least for 2022.

Simon lead them beautifully, but I had great faith with him on the boundary (which I applaud, and Ross Lyon said would cost us ) , knowing Yze is up in the box.  

• Like 6

Basically the club has said to Goodwin, "Take this group, take these mature champions you have, see what you can get out of them and then once they start retiring and the list begins to turn over you can see how you are feeling."

I'm happy with that. There's clearly a pretty deep bond between the coach and the leading players at the club. Knowing they are committed to chasing glory together can't hurt.

I still maintain my theory that Goodwin took a personal pay cut prior to 2021 so that we could afford our elite panel (Bringing in Burgess, Yze, Williams) under the soft cap rules. I often find it hard to believe when people still scrounge and scrap about money whenever their income is over $5,000/week so I'd believe it now if someone told me he was still on pretty modest coin in recognition that it is the coaching team as a whole which maximised his strengths and completely overcame his weaknesses.

Personally, I wouldn't put it past possibility that Adem Yze will be our next coach. If all goes to plan he might even get a 'freebie' Chris Scott style premiership before our current monstrous group of 24-26 year olds begin to retire!

La la la la who said just because we won a premiership I can't get wildly unrealistically optimistic in October?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Lots of mid aged talent on the list and big Maxy has years ahead of him in combo with Dogga.  

Dogga, Riv, Kozzy, Jakey all with 10 years of footy ahead of them. Lots to enjoy.

I’m sure Goody will want to stick around.  

Edited by spirit of norm smith
H
  • Like 3

I just rewatched the On The Couch after the GF and Garry made Goodwin reveal one of the main messages at HT “get it and kick it”

And in that simple message reveals quite a bit. The main thing is finals footy is about the contest and ‘territory’ but it’s also about the loosening of the reigns from the coach to the chaos. 

Not to pick on Geelong - but Chris Scott would never advise his team on such a simple direction. He wants control he can’t get, and he wants to give direction that can’t be executed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rpfc said:

I just rewatched the On The Couch after the GF and Garry made Goodwin reveal one of the main messages at HT “get it and kick it”

And in that simple message reveals quite a bit. The main thing is finals footy is about the contest and ‘territory’ but it’s also about the loosening of the reigns from the coach to the chaos. 

Not to pick on Geelong - but Chris Scott would never advise his team on such a simple direction. He wants control he can’t get, and he wants to give direction that can’t be executed.

It is quite amazing when it's simplified down to a message like that isn't it.

I think I remember Oliver or Petracca saying later in the season that one of the key differences from the coaches this year is keeping the messages simple.  Can't get much more simple than that.

I guess when you're the fittest team in the comp and arguably the best at the contest, "get it and kick it" is going to work pretty well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Melbourne expects to have a new long-term deal for premiership coach Simon Goodwin locked away before its flag defence starts against Western Bulldogs in Round 1 next season.

While Demons chief executive Gary Pert did not wish to go into detail about ongoing discussions with Goodwin and his management, he said a new deal was likely to be in place before the March 14 kick-off to the 2022 season.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Melbourne expects to have a new long-term deal for premiership coach Simon Goodwin locked away before its flag defence starts against Western Bulldogs in Round 1 next season.

While Demons chief executive Gary Pert did not wish to go into detail about ongoing discussions with Goodwin and his management, he said a new deal was likely to be in place before the March 14 kick-off to the 2022 season.

Not surprised this has not been put to bed yet. Post season the club would have been so busy . Soaking up the win . Selling millions in Merchandise with very little stock and dealing in a covid environment with their main courier being so busy with online sales and covid sick staff.

organising the Dee cup tour , Dec 5 th  celebration , fridays best and fairest . It was only mid nov when restrictions were being lifted so offices could get staff back .

These negotiations arent going to get done on zoom and emails . You need face to face meetings .  
winning the flag in covid season of interruption will be an expensive exercise  in  increased costs without the anticipated revenue. The club committing millions  with extending Goodys contract would be negligent not to negotiate in clean air.The  footy media might be concerned( sarcasm) but in Pert I trust.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jontee said:

So 2-3 year extension with options?

After 2018 (contracted until end of 2019) he was granted a further 3 years. 

Given he’s delivered a Premiership I’d expect something similar perhaps even an extra year if his management pushes for it. 

• Like 2

There was a time when contracts were offered open ended.

It was xpected you would have a job until you left, did something to get sacked or were let go with a payment to compensate for the termination.

Wages were increased after analysis of success and ability to pay.

There was a certainty and stability that existed.

Then we had the birth of the fixed contract as employers wanted to be able to terminate without any reason and without consideration of compensations. Employees had no sense of certainty and no sense of loyalty.

id be saying Simon the jobs yours as long as you want it, if we can't afford you you can leave with our best wishes and thanks, if it ain't working for us we will let you know, give plenty of notice and provide an appropriate termination payment. Part of contract can contain things like Super and long service payments that can give some stability and mitigate unexpected and unsustainable large payments.

The team is the thing total payments must be shared.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:39 PM, Biffen said:

Personally ,

I’ve had enough of his excuses.

Yeah, says the same thing  all the time. Poker faced, uses cliches from the movies. I've had enough already.😂😎

Edited by dieter

We need to maintain stability and keep the group together. Longer term contracts are important for this stability. Eg if Goody had of being out of contract at the end of 2020 he may have not been extended and we wouldn’t have a flag. 

many were critical of the longish contract last time but it turned out to be a master stroke. 

happy with another 4-5 years for sure.