Farewell Luke Jackson

Lucifers Hero

Not that I want Jacko to go and while I don’t believe the Sumich rumour, which could be Jacko’s manager trying to scare us, but just consider this if he did go.

Would you take a player at 3, who helps you win a flag after 57 years without one and is then traded, for say 2 first round picks and a few players who might solve your ruck and forward issues for the next few years?

If Jacko is traded, we are in the box seat. WC are on the improve and shouldn’t be on the bottom at season’s end, which should avert the fear of the PSD.

I still think he will re sign with us, but now think it may be a longer deal, with better money for Jacko. This rumour could be the Manager’s attempt to get him the best deal, if he has told him he wants to commit to us.

I just can’t see any way Freo, with its list and need to re sign players, could flash that offer around and actually manage it. Other players would want their share if he was getting that much. It is just way over the top. $7m over 7 years is way over the top. $10.5m is ridiculous.

Then again.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2022 at 5:42 PM, DemonOX said:

Would be great timing NOW if Jackson signs on given we are in a 3 game losing streak and the off field issues we have had. 

Wont hold my breath though. 

His value, worth, salary may well be decided in the next few weeks when Max is injured.

It may also help him realise the value of being surrounded by a good team rather than being the high priced,  trophy recruit, saviour.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, dpositive said:

His value, worth, salary may well be decided in the next few weeks when Max is injured.

It may also help him realise the value of being surrounded by a good team rather than being the high priced,  trophy recruit, saviour.

Great post.  Luke has been off the boil these past weeks and needs to justify the hype at present IMO.

He has now been handed a gold-plated opportuniy with Max out. If we snag several of the next few games, against the tide, he will have absolutely locked away his potential and worth , if not, it may just then be hype.  

And we move on whatever happens a la Hogan the experience and wish him well..

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Great post.  Luke has been off the boil these past weeks and needs to justify the hype at present IMO.

He has now been handed a gold-plated opportuniy with Max out. If we snag several of the next few games, against the tide, he will have absolutely locked away his potential and worth , if not, it may just then be hype.  

And we move on whatever happens a la Hogan the experience and wish him well..

Agree 100%, good summation.

• Like 2

What makes the Jackson situation so interesting is his value over the next years is true speculating. 

In most sides a third year ruck/forward, even high end draft, would just be finding their feet in a senior side or have played 15-25 being in and out as they find any consistency and their body adjusts to the rigours. Jackson’s impact has been quality enough that he is on target to play his 50th at the back end of this year. 

Secondly I still don't think anyone knows whether you are buying a ruck/forward, forward/ruck, tall midfielder, heck he could make a quality centre half back. 

How far you think he can go and what role that is must certainly play into what you see his worth to be. 

I hope we are reasonable in what we believe he can become and where it fits in our sustained success. If he decides he does not answer the call for home we should just stick to how we see his worth and if not maximise what we make of it. 

Edited by Lil_red_fire_engine
  • Like 2

I just can't believe that Sumich propose offer from Freo. How do they afford it first of all. And secondly they'll need to come up with a suitable trade, we're not accepting two mid-late teen picks for him (unless we've lined up more deals to trade up which really should be on them to do first).

I'm not going to speculate, until he decides not to I'll assume he is re-signing with us.

• Like 4

I shall happily take 3 first round picks for Jackson and nothing less than that.

38 minutes ago, Thehardtackler said:

I shall happily take 3 first round picks for Jackson and nothing less than that.

whilst that's somewhat laughable to think in those terms, the contract being speculated for a 21 year old is 'deserving' of type of thing.

For Peter Bell, it's one thing taking Hogan when he was homesick and Freo were an ordinary team struggling at the bottom third of the ladder, it's another to get Jackson from us with both teams essentially top 4 clubs. They will need to part with some serious trade currency to land that deal.

Also if the rumours are try and they are holding out on un-contracted players to try and lure Jackson on a mega deal and also apparently land Lachie Neale back at the club, is ballsy, but it could backfire somewhat spectacularly.

I love Jackson as a player and want him to stay at the dees, however if 1.5 mil a year for 7 years is on the table, we won't come near that, nor should we even attempt to. 

• Like 3

It is difficult to see how Freo can get either Jackson or Neale in a trade, let alone both.  They may have the salary cap to pay them but little to trade with.

They have signed up all their good talent.  Those left OOC aren't anything to write home about; some barely 'steak knives'.  Would they turn round and trade out a player they recently signed.  Unlikely.  And their draft picks will not be attractive.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

It is difficult to see how Freo can get either Jackson or Neale in a trade, let alone both.  They may have the salary cap to pay them but little to trade with.

They have signed up all their good talent.  Those left OOC aren't anything to write home about; some barely 'steak knives.  Would they turn round and trade out a player they recently signed.  Unlikely.  And their draft picks will not be attractive.

Valid points Luci!

All of which suggest the Sumich story is a fantasy to rival "Lord of the Rings". ( or maybe "Lord of the dings")

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

They have signed up all their good talent.  Those left OOC aren't anything to write home about; some barely 'steak knives.  Would they turn round and trade out a player they recently signed.  Unlikely.  And their draft picks will not be attractive.

That and they already have the best young first ruck in the game in the 24 year old Darcy. So you are basically selling the farm for your second ruck who will play most of his time forward or in midfield bursts. If Jackson does want to go home surely you would choose the team you will be the future main man for not the second ruck?  He has been pretty clear that he loves being around the ball more so than as a forward. 

• Like 2

IMO i dont think we will see the dominant Jackson in the next month. He is not a first choice ruckman. He is a utility, old fashioned ruck rover if you like. I dont thin he is a dominant ruckman at all.

His value the next month will be dropping back behind teh ball or marking inside 50. It wont be in the ruck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Well done to out recruitment team for selecting a flight risk at pick 3 on the assumption he ends up going.

The most obvious strategy of a list manager and head of recruitment is to use a high end draft pick on a player that is based in his/her/they club’s state. It’s not rocket science and there was some mighty fine Victorian based players picked in the top 10 of the 2019 draft. Eg - Hayden Young who looks like he’ll be a generational talent.

If someone said that a flight risk would play a huge role in winning you a flag in only their second year you'd take the bloody risk. If he goes I'd be disappointed but it's not like he's bailing on us at a time of need ala Scully or soon Horne-Francis on North.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

I love Jackson as a player and want him to stay at the dees, however if 1.5 mil a year for 7 years is on the table, we won't come near that, nor should we even attempt to. 

And we have the best player in the AFL on our list, who becomes a restricted free agent at the end of next year, to focus on.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I just can't believe that Sumich propose offer from Freo. How do they afford it first of all. And secondly they'll need to come up with a suitable trade, we're not accepting two mid-late teen picks for him (unless we've lined up more deals to trade up which really should be on them to do first).

I'm not going to speculate, until he decides not to I'll assume he is re-signing with us.

Sumich also went hard on the 'Neale back to Freo' trade rumour. 

Grain of 🧂 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

They have signed up all their good talent.  Those left OOC aren't anything to write home about; some barely 'steak knives'.  Would they turn round and trade out a player they recently signed.  Unlikely.  And their draft picks will not be attractive.

Isn’t there a rule that says you can’t trade someone you have just signed?

11 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Well done to out recruitment team for selecting a flight risk at pick 3 on the assumption he ends up going.

The most obvious strategy of a list manager and head of recruitment is to use a high end draft pick on a player that is based in his/her/they club’s state. It’s not rocket science and there was some mighty fine Victorian based players picked in the top 10 of the 2019 draft. Eg - Hayden Young who looks like he’ll be a generational talent.

The bloke literally flipped a grand final on it's head and helped us win a flag, even IF he leaves, that selection has been completely, without a doubt worth it. 

• Like 8

Just now, Redleg said:

I don't know but Freo have certainly shored up their talent.

Either way Freo wins:  if the can't trade a contracted player they keep him or if they can they will say: "you want a contracted player then our value in a trade is xxxx..." 

20 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

And we have the best player in the AFL on our list, who becomes a restricted free agent at the end of next year, to focus on.

Yes!!

Get Clarry signed & Gus for that matter, the fabric of the footy club

Put an excellent  offer to Jacko for his age & move on

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, praha said:

If someone said that a flight risk would play a huge role in winning you a flag in only their second year you'd take the bloody risk. If he goes I'd be disappointed but it's not like he's bailing on us at a time of need ala Scully or soon Horne-Francis on North.

6 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

The bloke literally flipped a grand final on it's head and helped us win a flag, even IF he leaves, that selection has been completely, without a doubt worth it. 

Fair call. I acknowledge that.

It would just be disappointing to lose a pick 3 after only 3 years.

Just now, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Fair call. I acknowledge that.

It would just be disappointing to lose a pick 3 after only 3 years.

No doubt. But the Cats lost Ablett and Hawks lost Franklin. They both won flags after they left. Both were far and away their respective team's best player at the time. Jackson isn't even our best yet. He'd barely scrape top 10 on current form.  If team's want him on the basis of potential and potential alone, and he's leaving on that basis rather than actual form, then it's not the end of the world. We move on and identify new talent.

• Like 2

It just doesn't make any sense to me.  Fremantle have a genuine star ruck in Darcy.  Jackson at 199cm has actually yet to prove he's a competitive ruckman in any more than 5-8 minute bursts.  You have a super talented young list at Freo, paying in effect a second ruck and not particularly effective key forward 10 mill over 7 years is not the sort of call I'd expect from the Freo admin.  Now WCE, that might be a different story!

39 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I'm not sure if there's been a recent change but we definitely acquired Dom Tyson from GWS after he signed earlier in the season.

The way he performs in the next 3 games will give a clearer indication to his likely intentions and whether we remain committed to keeping him or not. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1