Jump to content

Dees win $1million McClelland Trophy


Big Col

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, binman said:

More good news for the club. 

Any journos perusing Demonland for a good news story, please note, winning the McClelland trophy for best men's and women's football program can be added to an impressive list of positives from the last 3 years, a period where we:

  • have won three flags 
  • are even money favorite to win our fourth flag in a few weeks
  • finished top 4 in the men's and women comp every season
  • made finals in every VFL season
  • (despite this success) go into the upcoming draft with a brilliant draft hand for any team, let alone a top 4 team 
  • have a united board 
  • a CEO (who had his critics when he came to the dees) doing a top job 
  • have stabilized financially
  • thankfully no longer have to rely on income from pokies 
  • got to 70k plus members (an all time record)
  • continued to strengthen the women's program
  • have been able to keep the women's team together (very much unlike other top teams)
  • are on the way to creating the best, most successful program in AFLW history
  • did a thorough review of our 2022 season and made changes as a result
  • resigned our men's and women's coach 
  • made a series of long term, contract extensions to key players
  • resigned Koz, a terrific message that our club is considered culturally safe by Aboriginal players (reinforced by McAdam nominating the dees) 
  • been leaders in the Aboriginal cultural space - for example the Indigenous jumpers and Narrm initiative that other clubs are now getting on board with (eg renaming their team for Indigenous round)  
  • not unrelated to the above two points, bedded down our Innovate Reconciliation Action Plan 
  • managed the departure of Jackson in a way that has given us a great draft hand
  • managed the  transition of Burgess to Griffith super well
  • managed the situation with Jonsey not getting a game in the GF super well
  • resigned Melk when we we could have easily said see ya
  • have done a great job connecting with past players and bringing them back into the fold 
  • had an assistant coach win one of the most coveted jobs in footy - the tiger's senior coach

Yes, like every other club we have had our share of isolated incidents but by any measure that is a super impressive list of achievements, albeit missing one key thing - a home base. 

We are in better shape now that than at any other point in the 45 plus years i have ardently followed the mighty dees. 

Go redlegs. 

 

Binman please take a bow, that is a very significant list of achievements for the mighty MFC.

  • Like 11
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/10/2023 at 22:43, DeelightfulPlay said:

Unfortunately a lot of the natural growth and interest in the game has been hampered by the AFL's strange decision making in respect of the AFLW.  The most obvious instance being last year's grand final, where they forgot to secure venues in various states and so then we ended up in Springfield...  

Scheduling games at suburban grounds is one thing (and has its own charm) but doing so at 5 pm or other strange times on a Thursday or Friday makes it difficult for a lot of working people to travel and attend.  That'll eat into crowd numbers...

It's important to make things accessible to the general public to grow interest - which is why we prefer to play our home games at Ikon Park (heart of the city and all that) over Casey Fields.  

There are a whole lot of double standards used to justify the lower pay of the women.  It sounds reasonable until the bigger picture is looked at.

As I've noted before, I think they should play on the same venue on the same day/time consecutively after one another.

I'd much rather watch our women play than the borish and garish pre-game entertainment we are currently left with.  Perhaps they could even alternate the women's or men's playing before or after each other?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

😂 was typing when one of my chooks jumped from outta nowhere onto my lap, spilling coffee over the two of us. I didn’t realise I’d pressed submit.

The chook in question is Goldie, maybe she wanted to remind me to mention what a great player she is. 😂

She won’t do that again in a hurry since being bathed is not on the top of her things I like list. 

Anyways, as I was saying, the players are…

BLOODY AWESOME!!!!! 😁

Shouldn't let your chooks drink coffee WCW. They'll be up all night.

You might get some tasty eggs though.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

As I've noted before, I think they should play on the same venue on the same day/time consecutively after one another.

 

No

11 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

How bout the whole 1 mill goes towards our next home?

...and no

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Is it just me or is AFL.com.au and other media deafening in its silence about Melbourne’s success, doesn’t fit the narrative? 5th para in the Age article about Collingwood losing, mentions that Melbourne wins, pathetic, just pathetic.

And for all the culture bandwagoners, our culture is just fine, it is how you come back from adversity that matters, every set back we’ve had since 2018, the team has found a way. Good to see tall poppy syndrome alive and well (not). I remain as proud (and frustrated with the result of Pies/Carlton games) of the club as ever.

Finally my daughter was at a wedding yesterday/day before (who knows with timezones) and this was played. I suggest that plenty of folks do possess the spine required to handle the adverse media, driven by those journalists who are truly parochial and adversarial in their agendas. (And D’landers in this crowd btw?)

 

  • Like 6
  • Love 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, DEE fence said:

Is it just me or is AFL.com.au and other media deafening in its silence about Melbourne’s success, doesn’t fit the narrative? 5th para in the Age article about Collingwood losing, mentions that Melbourne wins, pathetic, just pathetic.

And for all the culture bandwagoners, our culture is just fine, it is how you come back from adversity that matters, every set back we’ve had since 2018, the team has found a way. Good to see tall poppy syndrome alive and well (not). I remain as proud (and frustrated with the result of Pies/Carlton games) of the club as ever.

Finally my daughter was at a wedding yesterday/day before (who knows with timezones) and this was played. I suggest that plenty of folks do possess the spine required to handle the adverse media, driven by those journalists who are truly parochial and adversarial in their agendas. (And D’landers in this crowd btw?)

 

that bit of alfoil at the start looks a bit suss 😮

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rpfc said:

We have over $20m in the bank from the sale of the Bentleigh club so $500k is not going to suddenly mean anything.

And no, we want a training base the way everyone else gets one - from the taxpayer.

Boy you sure can kill a party !!

you’d be upset if we lost a mill I bet so give credit where it’s due. 
Well done all the players good team efforts. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

250k divided equally between 44 AFLM players = $5,681.00 ea

250k divided equally between 31 AFLW players = $8,064.00 ea

500k to the club but effects the soft-cap.

A good breakdown I reckon

How does it affect the soft cap? I thought the soft cap related to expenditure, not revenue. Do you mean that depending on where we spend it, it could affect the soft cap? If so, surely there are ways to make use of it without the soft cap being affected?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, DEE fence said:

Is it just me or is AFL.com.au and other media deafening in its silence about Melbourne’s success, doesn’t fit the narrative? 5th para in the Age article about Collingwood losing, mentions that Melbourne wins, pathetic, just pathetic.

DEE fence is bang on, the silence is deafening. MFC wins the trophy and 1mil for being the most consistent club across AFL and AFLW and radio silence from AFL.com. Instead an article about how important top ten picks are (duh!). MFC has been the benchmark across all three competitions AFL, AFLW, VFL for three years now. We’ve won 3 premierships (and counting with AFLW23 still to play) 4 GFs, finished in the top 4 8 times, made 9 final series and easily been the best club over this period. 
 

But what are they reporting on? A smear campaign against our coach and his family from 2020-21.

What are our real issues?Joel Smith is an [censored] who did coke in season. Clayton Oliver is immature and has some issues, Stephen May is confident and has a big mouth, leading to one stupid fight with his teammates and a statement about CFC that annoyed them (despite being true!). That’s it.
 

Compare that to CFC:

Magpies deny players involvement in elicit video (off-season 2023): https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-magpies/magpies-deny-players-involved-in-explicit-viral-video-and-warn-fans-of-criminal-offence/news-story/1527df5feed42453ba45d130f819cb56

Ginnivan at the races pre GF: https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/09/30/magpies-defend-ginnivan-over-trip-to-the-races-before-grand-final-everyone-just-relax-and-chill/amp/


Jack Crisps alleged sexting exchange with an underage girl 2023: https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/jack-crisps-next-move-revealed-after-afl-completes-investigation-into-inappropriate-video-c-10314050.amp

Jack Ginnivan allegedly does ketamine with players preaseason 2023: https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101994502

Jordan Degoey’s litany of mysognistic misdemeanours: https://amp.9news.com.au/article/384aa7b0-45be-4488-8f9c-d9c1f2e1191f

Quaynor and Ginnivan rate women’s appearance in online video: https://www.foxsports.com.au/web-stories/free/fox-sports/jack-ginnivan-and-isaac-quaynor-apologise-for-tiktok-video

Steele Sidebottom goes out drunk during COVID restrictions: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8477947/amp/AFL-star-Steele-Sidebottom-drunk-does-not-remember-breaking-COVID-19-rules.html

The “do better report”: https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/01/collingwood-afl-clubs-culture-of-structural-racism-condemned-in-scathing-report

Wow what an incredible “culture” led to this years flag, it’s almost like winning premierships is possible even with a team of misbehaving DH’s as long as they are good at football. But no, it’s probably Darcy Moore’s ability to deliver a year 10 level debate speech and Craig MacRae and the Daicos’s being nice guys, I’m sure that’s an impeccable “culcha”. 

It’s nice to confirm the bias against us in the AFL media, which was largely under the surface until now. They hate us and will never praise us as a “big club” (within 10k and 16k of Hawthorn and Essendon with a higher average home attendance but never acknowledge that). Time for us to start calling them out often and loudly, or stop listening to and watching their rubbish as Robbo, Warner at the Hun are out for us as are Damo, Cornes and others at AFL.com. Stuff em.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rpfc said:

We have over $20m in the bank from the sale of the Bentleigh club so $500k is not going to suddenly mean anything.

And no, we want a training base the way everyone else gets one - from the taxpayer.

Usually any government involvement matches a contribution from the applicant. Its sort of similar to having a line of credit based on your own equity or investment. 

The sound financial position of the club should allow us to explore Fishermans bend freehold with govt contribution for community involvement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, durango said:

I reckon the men should donate their portion to the women

I was at a wedding yesterday for one of our Ruby Demons members, to which Hester Brown was the celebrant.  Ben Brown and I were discussing the McLelland Trophy, and he hinted there were a few of the male players who were planning to do just that.  

On another note, Ben and I did get in trouble for following the scores of the Adelaide/North game.  We were watching the last quarter on my phone, to which Hester came over and said, "Oh, Ben, you're not....."  Ben and I did get the giggles!

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, deejammin' said:

DEE fence is bang on, the silence is deafening. MFC wins the trophy and 1mil for being the most consistent club across AFL and AFLW and radio silence from AFL.com. Instead an article about how important top ten picks are (duh!). MFC has been the benchmark across all three competitions AFL, AFLW, VFL for three years now. We’ve won 3 premierships (and counting with AFLW23 still to play) 4 GFs, finished in the top 4 8 times, made 9 final series and easily been the best club over this period. 
 

But what are they reporting on? A smear campaign against our coach and his family from 2020-21.

What are our real issues?Joel Smith is an [censored] who did coke in season. Clayton Oliver is immature and has some issues, Stephen May is confident and has a big mouth, leading to one stupid fight with his teammates and a statement about CFC that annoyed them (despite being true!). That’s it.
 

Compare that to CFC:

Magpies deny players involvement in elicit video (off-season 2023): https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-magpies/magpies-deny-players-involved-in-explicit-viral-video-and-warn-fans-of-criminal-offence/news-story/1527df5feed42453ba45d130f819cb56

Ginnivan at the races pre GF: https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/09/30/magpies-defend-ginnivan-over-trip-to-the-races-before-grand-final-everyone-just-relax-and-chill/amp/


Jack Crisps alleged sexting exchange with an underage girl 2023: https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/jack-crisps-next-move-revealed-after-afl-completes-investigation-into-inappropriate-video-c-10314050.amp

Jack Ginnivan allegedly does ketamine with players preaseason 2023: https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101994502

Jordan Degoey’s litany of mysognistic misdemeanours: https://amp.9news.com.au/article/384aa7b0-45be-4488-8f9c-d9c1f2e1191f

Quaynor and Ginnivan rate women’s appearance in online video: https://www.foxsports.com.au/web-stories/free/fox-sports/jack-ginnivan-and-isaac-quaynor-apologise-for-tiktok-video

Steele Sidebottom goes out drunk during COVID restrictions: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8477947/amp/AFL-star-Steele-Sidebottom-drunk-does-not-remember-breaking-COVID-19-rules.html

The “do better report”: https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/01/collingwood-afl-clubs-culture-of-structural-racism-condemned-in-scathing-report

Wow what an incredible “culture” led to this years flag, it’s almost like winning premierships is possible even with a team of misbehaving DH’s as long as they are good at football. But no, it’s probably Darcy Moore’s ability to deliver a year 10 level debate speech and Craig MacRae and the Daicos’s being nice guys, I’m sure that’s an impeccable “culcha”. 

It’s nice to confirm the bias against us in the AFL media, which was largely under the surface until now. They hate us and will never praise us as a “big club” (within 10k and 16k of Hawthorn and Essendon with a higher average home attendance but never acknowledge that). Time for us to start calling them out often and loudly, or stop listening to and watching their rubbish as Robbo, Warner at the Hun are out for us as are Damo, Cornes and others at AFL.com. Stuff em.

The video incident smacks of porn revenge.  If what I heard is true, that Ginnivan was trying to get back at McStay for catching him taking drugs in the preseason, by filming him with his girlfriend, that's revenge porn and a crime.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

The video incident smacks of porn revenge.  If what I heard is true, that Ginnivan was trying to get back at McStay for catching him taking drugs in the preseason, by filming him with his girlfriend, that's revenge porn and a crime.

It’s appalling isn’t it. Almost everything CFC on that list is a serious crime, the club cleans up for them. There’s a patterns there of seriously disgusting attitudes and behaviour to women also. 

  • Like 4
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, binman said:

More good news for the club. 

Any journos perusing Demonland for a good news story, please note, winning the McClelland trophy for best men's and women's football program can be added to an impressive list of positives from the last 3 years, a period where we:

  • have won three flags 
  • are even money favorite to win our fourth flag in a few weeks
  • finished top 4 in the men's and women comp every season
  • made finals in every VFL season
  • (In spite of this success) go into the upcoming draft with a brilliant draft hand for any team, let alone a top 4 team 
  • have a united board 
  • a CEO (who had his critics when he came to the dees) doing a top job 
  • have stabilized financially
  • thankfully no longer have to rely on income from pokies 
  • got to 70k plus members (an all time record)
  • continued to strengthen the women's program
  • have been able to keep the women's team together (very much unlike other top teams)
  • are on the way to creating the best, most successful program in AFLW history
  • did a thorough review of our 2022 season and made changes as a result
  • resigned our men's and women's coach 
  • made a series of long term, contract extensions to key players
  • resigned Koz, a terrific message that our club is considered culturally safe by Aboriginal players (reinforced by McAdam nominating the dees) 
  • been leaders in the Aboriginal cultural space - for example the Indigenous jumpers and Narrm initiative that other clubs are now getting on board with (eg renaming their team for Indigenous round)  
  • not unrelated to the above two points, bedded down our Innovate Reconciliation Action Plan 
  • managed the departure of Jackson in a way that has given us a great draft hand
  • managed the  transition of Burgess to Griffith super well
  • managed the situation with Jonsey not getting a game in the GF super well
  • resigned Melk when we we could have easily said see ya
  • have done a great job connecting with past players and bringing them back into the fold 
  • had an assistant coach win one of the most coveted jobs in footy - the senior coach of the tigers

Yes, like every other club we have had our share of isolated incidents but by any measure that is a super impressive list of achievements, albeit missing one key thing - a home base. 

We are in better shape now then at any other point in the 45 plus years i have ardently followed the mighty dees. 

Go redlegs. 

I love our club

  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

It’s appalling isn’t it. Almost everything CFC on that list is a serious crime, the club cleans up for them. There’s a patterns there of seriously disgusting attitudes and behaviour to women also. 

There's certainly suggestions they're key reasons why Chloe Molloy, Steph Chiocci, and Jamie Lambert left their AFLW program.  Their entire team went to the football department last year after DeGropey's Bali incident and basically stated that unless the club does something to address apparently misogyny in the club, they'll have a serious problem retaining several of their women players.  Those three walked.  I can't say I blame them.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

There's certainly suggestions they're key reasons why Chloe Molloy, Steph Chiocci, and Jamie Lambert left their AFLW program.  Their entire team went to the football department last year after DeGropey's Bali incident and basically stated that unless the club does something to address apparently misogyny in the club, they'll have a serious problem retaining several of their women players.  Those three walked.  I can't say I blame them.

Could one surmise from that that maybe the club didn’t adequately address those issues? 3 leaders and their best players still walk after the club was told to clean up its act…. Collingwood has a history of wanting to look like it’s dealing with serious prejudice without actually dealing with it… Do Better cough cough

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic achievement by all. The girls are flying and look set to go back to back!

AFL mens premiership 2021.
VFL premiership 2022.
AFLW premiership 2022.

The club is in a really fruitful period of success. Enjoy it while it lasts and hopefully what has been built the past few years is sustainable long term.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    FEARS by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s worst fears about the absence of Max Gawn were realised when it received a shellacking from Fremantle’s ruckmen Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson who dominated the hit out tally in their game at Optus Stadium on Sunday by a massive 47 to 19. As a result, the 50-point deficit at the end of the game proved to be a loss that was long foreseen that was two years in the making and demonstrated a complete lack of hindsight and planning from the club. To add insult to injury, Jackson was a D

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 3

    PREGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

    The Demons return to the MCG in Round 20 to take on the GWS Giants and will be hoping the injured Captain Max Gawn is fit to return to his role in the ruck as their season is slipping away. Who comes in and who comes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 66

    PODCAST: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 22nd July @ 7:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demonsl oss at Optus Stadium against the Dockers in the Round 19. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 28

    VOTES: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The injured Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Jack Viney, Alex Neal-Bullen & Steven May make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Dockers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 19

    POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demons were once again outclassed, outplayed and outcoached by the Fremantle Dockers in 2024 ultimately going down by 50 points at Optus Stadium in Perth as they plummet to tenth on the ladder.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 294

    RAIN CHECK by Whispering Jack

    The Frankston Dolphins broke a run of six straight losses against their neighbours, the Casey Demons and kept their hopes for a long-awaited return to the VFL finals alive with a 27 point victory over at Kinetic Stadium. Casey was welcomed to the Peninsula by grey skies, heavy rain and angry seas with threatening white-capped waves whipped up by gale force winds. After a slow start in the opening term when they failed to take advantage of the breeze, it appeared that the Demons had decided

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    It's Game Day and the Demons have a golden opportunity to stamp their 2024 finals credentials as well as make amends for their disastrous first meeting against the Dockers earlier in the season when they take on Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 910

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND - Good evening, Demon fans and welcome back to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast ... before we took that last phone call from a Demonlander, we were discussing how the club overcame it’s midseason slump, the season-ending injury to Christian Petracca and the loss for a brief period of skipper Max Gawn due to a  crack to the base of his right fibula, to slowly surge up the ladder turning our detractors into believers and how it ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 6

    EARLY BIRDS by KC from Casey

    Wet, slippery conditions and threatening rainfalls greeted the VFL Bombers at the end of their long journey southeast of the big city on Sunday. The threatening weather combined with the fact that neither side had realistic prospects of advancing to action in September, meant that spectators gathered at a cold Casey Fields weren’t expecting a classic exhibition of football. Nor did they get one. Instead they were presented with a dour struggle that never reached great heights. It was a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...