WELCOME TO DEMONLAND: DANIEL TURNER

6 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

I would be interested in knowing his height, he was recruited as a 192cm back. Has he grown? He and JVR could potentially play forward or back they are both talented and MB, TMac, Steven May and BB aren’t getting any younger.!!!

The clubs stats have him at 194 ht and someone mentioned he’d put on 5kg so that would make him about 93kg - a reasonable size for a mobile forward or back.

• Thanks 1

We have two Key (lockdown) Defenders ahead of him in May and Petty.
Both have a history of injuries and May will be 31 at the start of next season.
Tomlinson hasn't been able to recapture anything close to his 2021 form following injury.

This is a very good signing.

• Thanks 1

Love the look of young Disco very happy with this signing. Thanks Daniel and TJ.!!!

• 10 months later...

I think a lot of fans would have been a bit underwhelmed with Daniel Turner’s game on the weekend. There were times in the game when he was clearly undersized and outmuscled against Levi Casboult, albeit Casboult didn’t have that much impact on the game and only had 9 possessions.

That said, I think there is evidence that Turner will be a long-term AFL player. He is a level above in the VFL and he has the right attributes. He is reasonably quick, a neat kick, makes good decisions, has courage and can take marks at the highest point. Currently he lacks a bit of strength and we have not seen if he can play on smaller, nippier AFL players. While Turner is clearly not in our best defence at this stage, I think we need to make sure he gets at least 4 or 5 games this year to see if he can improve and adapt to the pace of the game and be in our best side come September.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

I think a lot of fans would have been a bit underwhelmed with Daniel Turner’s game on the weekend. There were times in the game when he was clearly undersized and outmuscled against Levi Casboult, albeit Casboult didn’t have that much impact on the game and only had 9 possessions.

That said, I think there is evidence that Turner will be a long-term AFL player. He is a level above in the VFL and he has the right attributes. He is reasonably quick, a neat kick, makes good decisions, has courage and can take marks at the highest point. Currently he lacks a bit of strength and we have not seen if he can play on smaller, nippier AFL players. While Turner is clearly not in our best defence at this stage, I think we need to make sure he gets at least 4 or 5 games this year to see if he can improve and adapt to the pace of the game and be in our best side come September.

Im more underwhelmed with with coaching staff, to put essentially a debutant on Levi, who has entire game is based around out muscling players is a bit of an odd choice. Disco's confidence took a hit from that, but I do think in a year or two he will be pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Thought he was coached poorly on the weekend.

GCS had King, Casboult and Chol all over 200cm. It was a tough matchup but I’m not sure Goodwin was entirely to blame. Particularly given we are clearly committed to giving the Petty experiment a full run before making a decision. 

• Like 5

I thought he started poorly but started to get into rhythm in the 3rd quarter before getting subbed out.

He will be better for the run, and will continue to get better. His vfl form has been good, and I think he can build his form and make a case to play in the senior side.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

GCS had King, Casboult and Chol all over 200cm. It was a tough matchup but I’m not sure Goodwin was entirely to blame. Particularly given we are clearly committed to giving the Petty experiment a full run before making a decision. 

Who else should you blame if it is not Goody and/or the Match Committee?

Not Disco to blame completely but at times I don't think he looked as though he was completely up with our system which is sort of understandable also, I guess. 

Was at the game sitting up top about halfway up the stand on the outer side at the  Nerang/Broadbeach Rd end( southern) end. and found it hard for some reason to pick up all our players especially in the opposite side of the ground which is IMO possibly due to so much orange in the background. 

I also have mixed feelings about our defence at the moment. It looks loose ( nowhere near a replica of 2021/22)  and also uncertain (nervous almost)  especially after the Rooy/ Ballard clash which took our main momentum away when we only had a 15 point buffer. All backs were a bunch of nervous nellies especially when Rivers panicked when he should have run the ball out and two/ three players fumbled previously and let the last two Suns goals in. Petty was sent back and it looked a lot safer.

Can anyone explain why when we kick out or line up after a goal our defenders are 10/20m away from the their opponents and we still insist on kick outs to go Long all the time and not use  the first kick to our advantage? 

However I still hold hope that Petty can get his CHF role positively with match and training but he was too slow with the ball after marking, maybe because there seems to be very little leading these days. Time for a change of Forward Coach perhaps after all this time. 

IMO if Harry stays forward maybe Tmac is better placed as a third defender to handle all the bigger third tall forwards ie Casboult, etc. Disco was a bit undersized but fought hard. 

Also when watching the replay I found that Disco did a lot more than I realised and Riv played a terrific game and possibly saved us.

Maysie is for some reason ( every one says he is injured but don't say where) is not in his usual best touch but only 2 charity goals to King says he played his part even without his trademark marking and run we all love. 

We are still a sort of "work in progress"certainly up forward more a who are the deck chairs than where they are placed. 

Two pluses are that we are second on the ladder and have a high percentage at this stage.

Eerily sounds like last year a bit but the experimentation for nearer perfection is alive and well and we are playing positively, have a really fit list and our last quarters ( even last Sat) have been a revelation compared to 2022.

Let the team tweaking for positions and placement continue but like 2021 I hope that our best may not be revealed until the latter home and away rounds and we all know the fantastic result that year. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Thought he was coached poorly on the weekend.

Agree the coaching match ups were dreadful.  Casboult is one of the strongest marking players in the comp. Obvious match up was May. Thought Turner was ok & needs to be given 3-4 consecutive games.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Agree the coaching match ups were dreadful.  Casboult is one of the strongest marking players in the comp. Obvious match up was May. Thought Turner was ok & needs to be given 3-4 consecutive games.

Goodwin felt that King was the more dangerous forward and that the obvious matchup for him was May.

• Like 4

Thought he just got caught short a few times when it came in, one in particular where he looked absolutely filthy on himself. Not going to read too much into this one he'll be right with some games in a row. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

We have a lot of trouble with tall forward lines.

Reid from Sydney has given us a lot of grief. Hipwood, Mason Cox, Casboult, Lobb on occasion. Daniher has created problems but fortunately can't kick.

We don't have a tall backman - ie over 200cm - that can take those players. Instead we rely on pressuring delivery. And when that breaks down we look terrible against the talls.

• Like 1

Would honestly like to see him play consecutive games down back while Petty is working on his trade up forward. 

If there is a period where investing game time and experience into guys that have been banging down the door then it's now with the likes or Hawthorn and Freo coming up over the next few weeks.

Gotta see whether some of these kids are up to it at AFL level.

• Like 6