Club lists finalised with further signings

titan_uranus

Ultimately I think it would have been harsh to delist chandler/Bedford given the lack of VFL this year. Whether they’ll make it is another question but happy they get another chance 

• Like 8

Very disappointed, although given we are talking about list pozzies 33-37, it is hardly crucial.

What annoys me, and I've said this before, is that we have a high number of sub 6-footers (less than 184cm) on our list - 12 in all. Obviously some small guys are necessary and very deserving - Richmond had nine of their premiership 22 under 6 feet.

But which of Rioli, Castagna, Bolton, Short and Edwards are regarded as slow or without weapons. Then there's workaholics like Lambert, Baker and Graham and their bull in Prestia.

Of our 12, only Viney, Langdon, Kossie and Salem are walk-up starts and I'd add Lockhart to that (although the coach wouldn't).

That's seven little guys battling for spots and four of them - Bedford, Chandler, Spargo and ANB - are battling for a small forward spot that isn't even a pre-requisite spot given Kossie has nailed down the main one.

As I said, it's not a biggie in the overall scheme of things, but one of that four should have been delisted. Imagine the outcry if we have five ruckmen on our list battling for one spot!

• Like 4

• Demonland changed the title to Bedford, Jordon, Chandler, Lockhart and M Brown all Re-Sign

So this is where we stand.

PRIMARY LIST: —

Oskar Baker Toby Bedford Angus Brayshaw Ben Brown Bayley Fritsch Max Gawn James Harmes Michael Hibberd Marty Hore Jayden Hunt Luke Jackson Neville Jetta Nathan Jones James Jordan Kade Kolodjiashnij Ed Langdon Jake Lever Tom McDonald Steven May Jake Melksham Alex Neal-Bullen Clayton Oliver Christian Petracca Harrison Petty Kysaiah Kropinyeri Pickett Trent Rivers Christian Salem Charlie Spargo Joel Smith Tom Sparrow Adam Tomlinson Aaron vandenBerg Jack Viney Sam Weideman                    34

TO BE UPGRADED TO PRIMARY LIST: —

Jay Lockhart                                    1

ROOKIE LIST: CATEGORY A —

Mitch Brown Kade Chandler         2

TO BE PLACED ON ROOKIE LIST: CATEGORY A: —

Aaron Nietschke                            1

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Very disappointed, although given we are talking about list pozzies 33-37, it is hardly crucial.

What annoys me, and I've said this before, is that we have a high number of sub 6-footers (less than 184cm) on our list - 12 in all. Obviously some small guys are necessary and very deserving - Richmond had nine of their premiership 22 under 6 feet.

But which of Rioli, Castagna, Bolton, Short and Edwards are regarded as slow or without weapons. Then there's workaholics like Lambert, Baker and Graham and their bull in Prestia.

Of our 12, only Viney, Langdon, Kossie and Salem are walk-up starts and I'd add Lockhart to that (although the coach wouldn't).

That's seven little guys battling for spots and four of them - Bedford, Chandler, Spargo and ANB - are battling for a small forward spot that isn't even a pre-requisite spot given Kossie has nailed down the main one.

As I said, it's not a biggie in the overall scheme of things, but one of that four should have been delisted. Imagine the outcry if we have five ruckmen on our list battling for one spot!

So Richmond had 19 under 184cm on their list and by my count 11 in the Premiership side and you're upset because we have 12 on the list in total?

Viney and Langdon are midfielders. Sparrow and Baker are their back ups. 2 inside, 2 outside. That's fine.

Salem will have competition from Jetta, Lockhart and Chandler (played as a defender) for what could easily be 2 spots down back. It might only be 1 of them in the team as we go with a taller backline but 4 guys for 2 spots is reasonable. 

Same thing up forward, 2 spots, 4 guys. Kozzie, Spargo, Bedford, ANB.

I'm more worried if they are good enough than if they are tall enough.

• Like 5

• Whispering_Jack changed the title to Club lists finalised with further signings

Pleased to see Jordon and Bedford get extended. I think both of these should/will be in our best 22 in the not too distant future. 

Lockhart very well deserved.

Chandler I'm not confident about.

M. Brown, I don't get it, but ok. 

• Like 3

So do we use 18, 19 and 33 or do we trade 18 and 19 for a higher pick (ie 8-13) and use 33 and 50.

Tend to think pick 18 and 19 would be a good move. A few could slip in this draft and having two in a row gives a good chance of one being the right choice. 

Our picks in the 30's are generally ok and more for a back up.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

So this is where we stand.

PRIMARY LIST: —

Oskar Baker Toby Bedford Angus Brayshaw Ben Brown Bayley Fritsch Max Gawn James Harmes Michael Hibberd Marty Hore Jayden Hunt Luke Jackson Neville Jetta Nathan Jones James Jordan Kade Kolodjiashnij Ed Langdon Jake Lever Tom McDonald Steven May Jake Melksham Alex Neal-Bullen Clayton Oliver Christian Petracca Harrison Petty Kysaiah Kropinyeri Pickett Trent Rivers Christian Salem Charlie Spargo Joel Smith Tom Sparrow Adam Tomlinson Aaron vandenBerg Jack Viney Sam Weideman                    34

TO BE UPGRADED TO PRIMARY LIST: —

Jay Lockhart                                    1

ROOKIE LIST: CATEGORY A —

Mitch Brown Kade Chandler         2

TO BE PLACED ON ROOKIE LIST: CATEGORY A: —

Aaron Nietschke                            1

While there has been no announcement I am including Bradtke as a rookie giving us a total of 4 rookies.  We are allowed 6.

8 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

So, essentially -

* 3 picks in the national draft

* 1 rookie selection and

* if  KK is put on the long term injury list then the club can list a player as a Pre-Season Supplemental Selection. This is for players who can be added to our summer training squad from 6 January, 2021.

We have 2 rookie spots vacant.

As I understand the rules we can add a player to the PSSP as a rookie so we don't need to change KK's status.  However, changing his status gives us another senior list spot in case we want to add DFA.

• Like 1

Without knowing the details I'd think about moving KK on to the rookie list too so we can use pick 50 or sign a delisted free agent if we need to. I'd always want the flexibility to bring in a player you want if you can rather than be forced to wait until the rookie draft.

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Without knowing the details I'd think about moving KK on to the rookie list too so we can use pick 50 or sign a delisted free agent if we need to. I'd always want the flexibility to bring in a player you want if you can rather than be forced to wait until the rookie draft.

u can't just delist a contracted player and put him on a different contract structure outside the total budget. hopefully and likely he has a lot of match bonuses in his deal and a low starting salary anyway. plus being able to make him inactive gives us an extra list spot anyway so whether he's senior or rookie listed makes no difference

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turner said:

u can't just delist a contracted player and put him on a different contract structure outside the total budget. hopefully and likely he has a lot of match bonuses in his deal and a low starting salary anyway. plus being able to make him inactive gives us an extra list spot anyway so whether he's senior or rookie listed makes no difference

You can't change what you owe him but you can totally delist and redraft a player in order to pay them out. Sydney did it with Tippett. Hawthorn did it with Langford. 

It makes a difference to the senior spots. Which at the moment we don't think we'll need but that's not a certainty. Personally I'd always want 1 spare senior spot before the draft is done. We just don't know who will be available towards the back end of the draft and having to sit back and wait for that player to fall to pick 10 of the rookie draft seems potentially risky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deespicable said:

What annoys me, and I've said this before, is that we have a high number of sub 6-footers (less than 184cm) on our list - 12 in all.

Check your arithmetic! It is deespicable! The metric equivalent to the old imperial 6 foot is 182.88 cm rounds off to 183 cm in whole numbers. That may explain the inordinate number of the 'vertically challenged' on our list!  image.png.fd87020f0ea6b822b75bc698517afd9c.png

Edited by Tarax Club
the seven
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Lockhart definitely is a player. Hard at the footy. Determined. Tackles. Good pace.  Can cement the small defender BP role.
Mitch Brown - ok for 2021 as a good backup key position player ?

Bedford and Jordan are youngsters and hope to see them given a chance to see if they are capable. ?

Chandler - ??? given a lucky break. 

• Like 1

these signing make it an obvious decision to keep Jones on for another year.  Hopefully some of these 5 make it but in reality most won't. 

Pity we do not have a season of exposed form at Casey/lower levels as we could have looked at some mature recruits.  hopefully things get back to normal next year

14 hours ago, Ham said:

Lockhart very well deserved.

Chandler I'm not confident about.

M. Brown, I don't get it, but ok. 

To me, I agree absolutely with Lockhardt and Chandler ( also agree Re Jordon/Bedford whom you mentioned).

I do think Mitch Brown is reasonable key position depth/insurance based on his quite serviceable performances throughout the year.  I guess he is a fairly short term backup too given his age.  Probably on pretty modest coin too, so ticks that box for us as well.

• Like 4

There are some decent mature age players in the state leagues that I would have liked we take a punt on. Very safe play extending all but understandable given covid and limited opportunities to develop this year.

Hopefully Lockhart can cement his spot in the 22. He showed decent form last year before mysteriously falling out of favor.

Other than the addition of Brown (huge get) we’re heading into next year with the same group. I think it’s enough for Top 4 as long as the coaching/game play improves and Burgess keeps us fit.

• Like 3