Joe Daniher

Lord Nev

From first glance you could class Heffernan a flop at Melbourne but he was really finding the footy in his second season with us. Had a few howlers in 05 and then that was sort of it.

I did always get the impression that he was a very smart guy almost to his detriment. Many players would take that chance of being traded as a chance to 'stick it up' the old mob but I always had this feeling that it weighed on him a lot more mentally. 

On 7/7/2020 at 10:15 AM, Lord Nev said:

Not a subscriber so don't have the copy. But the preview to this makes it sound like we're genuinely making enquiries.

Dees Set To Make Play For Joe Daniher

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 10.15.29 am.png

NO NO NO AND UNEQUIVOCALLY NO and that is my Final Offer!! Where do you want me to start? Absolutely Injury plagued!! Plus cannot kick straight 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Biffen said:

Hibberd?

Probably the only good one .

Steven Clark played a few good ones! Heres another "Blast from the past" Ken Roberts and Ray Smith both played some serviceable games after crossing from Essendope!

• Like 1

Of course Uncle and you know with two great minds like ours its a wonder scientists the world over are scrambling to the rights of our DNA to create a "Super Race" Genetically superior to anything else. A bit like the 6 Million Dollar man, meets James Bond, with a healthy dose of Indiana Jones thrown in for good measure Eh?:blink:??

Edited by picket fence
  • Haha 2

Both Daniher and Essendon lost out badly by his trade to the Swans not going through.

I feel very sorry for one of them.

AFL contracts are very limited in what can be included re fitness, games played etc so I don't see many clubs prepared to take the risk.

MFC would be mad to risk much.

Strangely enough Daniher may be best to take a one year contract at say $300k in the hope of proving his fitness and then he can demand the mega contract.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Fair enough mate, still disagree though. The Dangerfield trade is VERY different to the Daniher situation.

Dangerfield, at the peak of his career, wanted to go to a specific club to be back home. An amicable situation was worked out without free agency offers even being made.

Daniher requested a trade away from his current club without such reasons. He just wants out. He likely won't play this year. He's not necessarily going to a specific club so various offers will be fielded and his value is questionable.

Essendon can 'threaten' whatever they want, but it's pretty clearly easy to call their bluff given the circumstances.

And still, no club has matched a free agency offer and kept their player.

Really can't see Essendon getting into a bidding war trying to keep a player who wants out. Especially in a unique year like this when salary caps are going to be a different kettle of fish.

There's 2 important similarities though if LH's hypothetical about a pick 40 compensation is correct:

1. WIll the compensation be less than a trade return as it was with the Crows/Cats - yes.
2. Can the club theoretically afford to keep him given the contract likely won't be huge (Danger took a big discount) - with a slight asterisk about the salary cap situation due to covid I'd imagine if Daniher is only triggering 2nd round compo that's a yes.

That's really all a club needs to threaten to force a match. They'll still trade the player, the AFL will just about force you to is my guess, but they'll get a late first or early second for him. Which other club has ever been in a position to force a trade? Usually the compensation so overvalues a player that it's not an issue.

Personally I think even if he doesn't play for the rest of this year Sydney will be keen and I think Brisbane would have to be at least interested, plus Essendon have to make him an offer. I find it unlikely he walks without a contract figure that doesn't trigger end of first round compo.

31 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

He only kicks straight when he plays against us, maybe he’d always kick straight if he played for us..?

ikRMSp9Fv-byUcWJ7Q9S-GAGHTCicPFOdjRx108G

Alas, I do believe he managed 1.6 and and oof or two against us once upon a time. Bank on that being his new normal if he came here.

Confirmed- round 6, 2017. 13 marks including 4 contested and 4 inside fifty, for 1 goal 6 behinds, his personal worst accuracy even before noting the outright misses. He was at his absolute best that day in every way except one. It was beautiful football - Possibly the greatest football moment ever provided by an Essendon player because it also made Essendon supporters miserable.

Edited by Little Goffy
Details found
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Alas, I do believe he managed 1.6 and and oof or two against us once upon a time. Bank on that being his new normal if he came here.

I now fully expect one of the nuf-nufs at the Herald Sun to make use of the fact that 1 goal 6 behinds is 21% of our season average total score of 56.2 points a game as an argument as to why we'd be mad not to go after him.

Might even win said nuf-nuf one of those sought after News Ltd awards for journalism.

12 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I now fully expect one of the nuf-nufs at the Herald Sun to make use of the fact that 1 goal 6 behinds is 21% of our season average total score of 56.2 points a game as an argument as to why we'd be mad not to go after him.

Might even win said nuf-nuf one of those sought after News Ltd awards for journalism.

If we were on the the HS pet clubs, all those failed inside 50s would be called 'shots on goal that were controversially touched before going through'. Innovation in journalism award in the bag.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Confirmed- round 6, 2017. 13 marks including 4 contested and 4 inside fifty, for 1 goal 6 behinds, his personal worst accuracy even before noting the outright misses. He was at his absolute best that day in every way except one. It was beautiful football - Possibly the greatest football moment ever provided by an Essendon player because it also made Essendon supporters miserable.

I rate Daniher and think he's a very talented player, despite that god-awful jumper he wears.

His goal kicking record against us however is diabolical:

Joe Daniher Vs Melbourne

5 games / 9 goals / 15 behinds

That gets worse when you consider that he kicked 5.0 against us in 2015.

When you take that match out he's kicked 4 goals 15 behinds from the remaining 4 matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

There's 2 important similarities though if LH's hypothetical about a pick 40 compensation is correct:

1. WIll the compensation be less than a trade return as it was with the Crows/Cats - yes.
2. Can the club theoretically afford to keep him given the contract likely won't be huge (Danger took a big discount) - with a slight asterisk about the salary cap situation due to covid I'd imagine if Daniher is only triggering 2nd round compo that's a yes.

That's really all a club needs to threaten to force a match. They'll still trade the player, the AFL will just about force you to is my guess, but they'll get a late first or early second for him. Which other club has ever been in a position to force a trade? Usually the compensation so overvalues a player that it's not an issue.

Personally I think even if he doesn't play for the rest of this year Sydney will be keen and I think Brisbane would have to be at least interested, plus Essendon have to make him an offer. I find it unlikely he walks without a contract figure that doesn't trigger end of first round compo.

I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves with the whole pick 40 compensation thing.

1) Key forwards will almost always attract a higher contract offer.

2) Let's remember clubs have to use picks to get the points for FS/Academy. It's not like you just slide down 15-20 picks.

Even thought it's Essendon and we all know their reputation; I can't see them risking matching an offer for a player who doesn't want to be there. Of course there's still the small chance they convince him to stay, but seems highly unlikely.

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

Of course Uncle and you know with two great minds like ours its a wonder scientists the world over are scrambling to the rights of our DNA to create a "Super Race" Genetically superior to anything else. A bit like the 6 Million Dollar man, meets James Bond, with a healthy dose of Indiana Jones thrown in for good measure Eh?:blink:??

Let's hope the police aren't scrambling to get your DNA to eliminate you two from any current enquiries ( forget about creating a Super Race) A composite ' being ' made from the best combination of Demonlander traits could be something awesome !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, picket fence said:

NO NO NO AND UNEQUIVOCALLY NO and that is my Final Offer!! Where do you want me to start? Absolutely Injury plagued!! Plus cannot kick straight 

An interesting selection of fonts, font sizes, capital letters and punctuation.

Just needed some multi colours in there, that would have really topped it off Picket.

4 hours ago, picket fence said:

Steven Clark played a few good ones! Heres another "Blast from the past" Ken Roberts and Ray Smith both played some serviceable games after crossing from Essendope!

I'm only at the peak of my decline Pickett so I never witnessed the Ivor Warne-Smith Era.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Daniher almost single-handedly won the game against the (admittedly mediocre) hawks yesterday. It will be interesting to watch this space over the rest of the season. He clearly hasn't lost any athleticism.

I don't think we're in the race, and granted there are still significant questions over whether he can stay on the park.

But if we couldn't win a flag with a spine of Daniher, Weid, Gawn, Petracca, May and Lever, we might as well pack up and go home.

• Like 3

I understand his kicking woes but I love Joe.

Huge talent and a quality person.

Would absolutely love to see him in a Dees jumper.

• Like 3