CHANGES: Rd 02 vs Carlton

Whispering_Jack

5 hours ago, Pates said:

I know a lot of the talk has (fairly) been on Bennell, but Weiderman is someone that I hope the club is lighting a rocket under. He is getting to an age where potential has to be turned into results or we look at options to replace him moving forward. I would like to see a forward structure that utilises TMac as the focal point but Weiderman tries to create the second option that almost demands the ball more. 

Now has to be the time for him to deliver.

Really hoping that Jackson is showing some dangerous forward work, competition for spots can always help in these cases.

The challenge with Weid is he is not a natural forward. He played his junior years almost exclusively as a ruckman. I hold some hope (not loads though) that given the relative newness of the craft he just needs a bit more time for it to click. Am a bit surprised they never attempted to get a look at him down back ala Darcy Moore. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ding said:

Did you just dis' my pal Nev??

You didnt just do that did you???

Nobody disrespects Nev on my watch.

Grrrr.

*wistfully thinks of Nev........

(Super excited to see Rivers develop though, i think he will become known as a draft steal over the next couple of seasons.)

No dis' at jetta what so ever. Been a great player and I hope he finds it again but I feel his form is on the wane.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Jackson 6 said:

The challenge with Weid is he is not a natural forward. He played his junior years almost exclusively as a ruckman.

Not sure that's entirely accurate. He played ruck very early but switched to forward while still young. It was after switching to forward that he won two best and fairests, so not sure "not a natural forward" is correct if you're looking at junior level.

• Like 1

How much does not having a VFL/Reserves competition affect selection? At some stage, it would appear that any of the players who haven't played a game since last year because of injury will have to be played without the common opportunity for some match practice via a VFL game.

Under normal circumstances, from the club's language it would seem that Bennell would be an automatic VFL selection this week, although perhaps on limited minutes. However, because that competition doesn't exist, does that mean the club would, or should, take a risk and play him straight away?

On 6/8/2020 at 5:29 PM, picket fence said:

No to Fritsch at CHF T MAC to CHF WEEDS to play rest of the year at FF UNLESS he remains Goaless after 3 Games. Smith must play and ANB is surplus to needs as is Hibberd! Jackson not yet! 

I'd still like to see TMac back at CHB - leaving Lever as the intercept (on the run); agree with the Weideman thing and its duration; ANB and Hibbo, out for a while; Smith must play; Rivers on the bench, 

50 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

How much does not having a VFL/Reserves competition affect selection? At some stage, it would appear that any of the players who haven't played a game since last year because of injury will have to be played without the common opportunity for some match practice via a VFL game.

Under normal circumstances, from the club's language it would seem that Bennell would be an automatic VFL selection this week, although perhaps on limited minutes. However, because that competition doesn't exist, does that mean the club would, or should, take a risk and play him straight away?

While your argument sounds logical five odd years of watching VFL has taught me that VFL form is irrelevant. I would assume that in this day and age the other desirable.... namely match fitness can be obtained in other ways..contact training drills, repeat running etc

Bennell has an added risk....the game has changed since he last played...five odd games in four years. Only one way to simulate that and its not at VFL level. Other than Gold Coast we are not going to have an easier opponent for the year.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

Just now, ArtificialWisdom said:

3 huge changes

Wow big selection news.

I’m hoping with Rivers in the side it means Harmes can go back to the midfield. He should absolutely tag Cripps. Nullify him and we are 80% of the way to beating Carlton. 

Also assume if Jackson is in, Weids isn’t. 

• Like 5

Not surprised about Bennell or Rivers due to the recent hype they've been getting from the club, but Jackson is huge news for me. From what I've seen he still looks very raw. Hopefully it just means he's already developing a lot.

• Like 2

Rivers is an exciting prospect, good pace, good kick, good hardness. Reckon he takes Hibberds role on the half back flank.

Bennell huge in. Hope his body holds up and he can build his way into being an explosive damaging player again.

Jackson in is a shock as he doesn’t look up to AFL standard at this stage. He lacks physicality, his forward work and midfield work have been poor to date, while he’s shown he suits the ruck with his huge leap. He’s got potential to be great long term, but feel we’re perhaps pulling the trigger early!

• Like 7

On 6/5/2020 at 1:59 AM, WERRIDEE said:

After listening to Chaplin and Richo I think they will make drastic changes so here's my team:

B: LOCKHART, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, SMITH, RIVERS

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, TOMLINSON

HF: PICKETT, JACKSON, JONES

F: MELKSHAM, T.MCDONALD, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: HARMES(BACK), BRAYSHAW(MID), BENNELL(MID), HANNAN(FORWARD)

EMRG: JETTA, HIBBERD, O.MCDONALD, WEIDEMAN

This is looking like the clubhouse leader Werridee - somewhat the oracle.

For me, I reckon this 22 with OMac replacing Smith.

7 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Rivers is an exciting prospect, good pace, good kick, good hardness. Reckon he takes Hibberds role on the half back flank.

Bennell huge in. Hope his body holds up and he can build his way into being an explosive damaging player again.

Jackson in is a shock as he doesn’t look up to AFL standard at this stage. He lacks physicality, his forward work and midfield work have been poor to date, while he’s shown he suits the ruck with his huge leap. He’s got potential to be great long term, but feel we’re perhaps pulling the trigger early!

I suppose Carlton is the perfect opponent for Jackson. They are also a young team and their back line is not great. And without Kruezer it’s a good chance to have him ruck forward as well. 

• Like 1

Good luck to all the debutants. 

HB I really hope this is the beginning of the next phase of ur career, u have earnt it big time. Your persistence has paid off. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Exciting news, even though I'm a little worried that Jackson isn't ready for AFL.

If we assume Salem is an inclusion, that's four changes minimum. Jones is also a chance to be brought back so could be five. Could be more if we're looking at Smith or AVB but I suspect they're depth at this stage.

Would have thought Spargo, Bedford and Brown are all going to make way but from there I don't think it's clear. Presumably someone has to come out of the backline (Lockhart or Hibberd).

In - Jones, Salem, Bennell, Rivers, Jackson

Out - Spargo, Brown, Bedford, Lockhart, ANB

Lockhart very stiff, but feel as though Salem is a direct replacement.

ANB, aside from kicking our first goal of the year brought nothing else to the table.

I still feel as though our forward structure falls down without a second genuine key forward supporting T Mac.

I still think Lever might be an out despite Goodwin saying he'll likely play. 5 omissions does seem a lot, although probably warranted.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell