POSTGAME: Rd 01 vs West Coast

Demonland

We can all just cut and paste our comments from last season because based on our first and possibly only match of 2020 it’s exactly the same crap. 

I have no confidence that if we have another preseason with Goody anything will change. 

Either the players aren’t listening OR the coach is not getting through to the players. 

• Like 3

The pity of the postponement of the season is that it delays proper assessment and decisions on players and coach.  

A little like an aborted early employee performance review.

In a normal season the halfway mark would give us a  much clearer picture of individual and team performance, and that of the coach. 

There was a lot to like about our performance but that is balanced against the reappearance of the same old problems and deficiencies as 2019.

How long does it take to rectify the same old problems. Can they be rectified with our existing personnel?   

Sadly, that will probably have to wait until 2021, and, even then, it will be simply be like a restart of 2020. 

At the same time, some personnel will probably be gone due to the recast footy landscape.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

The pity of the postponement of the season is that it delays proper assessment and decisions on players and coach.  

A little like an aborted early employee performance review.

In a normal season the halfway mark would give us a  much clearer picture of individual and team performance, and that of the coach. 

There was a lot to like about our performance but that is balanced against the reappearance of the same old problems and deficiencies as 2019.

How long does it take to rectify the same old problems. Can they be rectified with our existing personnel?   

Sadly, that will probably have to wait until 2021, and, even then, it will be simply be like a restart of 2020. 

At the same time, some personnel will probably be gone due to the recast footy landscape.

Existing personnel And/or Coaches???

Agree but plenty of work to bridge gap on top teams.

minimised damage after a wasteful start as always !!!

we really need that never say die attitude we had in the first two finals off 2018, to be the absolute minimum intensity and desperation at every single contest no matter the scoreboard if we can't do that then... bye bye Goodwin

Edited by Rednblueriseing

22 hours ago, Redleg said:

Given the late flight, change in hotel, suspension of the competition just before the game, rumours of difficulty getting home, more inside 50 entries, playing a WCE at home and at full strength, poor disposal and terrible form of most of the team and then only losing by 27 points, I am not too critical of the result.

Really? I have seen and heard most excuses but you have created a new low.

You should expect more given we have been butchering the ball for a decade. Goodwin's game plan don't work. The shiny new coaching panel have a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dpositive said:

Sams as last year? I'll ask again. Were our short and misdirected disposals caused by our players being unbalanced and under pressure.

Of course some were, that is the nature of footy. Pressure exacerbates poor skill and technique. The eagles are a much, much better kicking team and executed under pressure much better. As good kicks do. At one point deep into the second half the DE was 75% to 42%. 

But many of the errant kicks were under zero pressure. Some from stoppages after a mark or free. Like Mays missed kick that went straight to an eagle and cost us a goal.

We are the worst team in the league at kicking a football accurately.

6 hours ago, Nelo said:

What’s the point in getting heaps of the ball if you lack basic skills and turn it over. Then players are out of position and scoring on the transition is easy.
Skills are king. 

I've been banging on this for ages. We need to recruit players with excellent disposal skills or work bloody hard on existing to up skill them over whatever period we have out of the game. We get ball easily enough. We just give it back far to easily.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Really? I have seen and heard most excuses but you have created a new low.

You should expect more given we have been butchering the ball for a decade. Goodwin's game plan don't work. The shiny new coaching panel have a lot of work to do.

Why don't you read my post slowly and try to understand what I have written.

I never said that "rumours of difficulty getting home"  was an excuse for poor kicking.

What I said was, that I am not too critical of a 27 point loss, given ALL the factors that I mentioned.

Read it again here    "Given the late flight, change in hotel, suspension of the competition just before the game, rumours of difficulty getting home, more inside 50 entries, playing a WCE at home and at full strength, poor disposal and terrible form of most of the team and then only losing by 27 points, I am not too critical of the result."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Congrats to May (and Viney) for winning selection in the team of the week for afl.com.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/389954/team-of-the-week-r1-who-makes-the-cut-

He's rightly copped it from all and sundry, but full credit to him for keeping a gun full forward goal-less.

I'm glad May got into the team of the week. A lot of frustrating things came out of this game but our defense looks better, when allowed to maintain their structures. As the commentators said, they would rightfully criticise May if Kennedy had kicked a bag on him so it's only fair that credit is given when he is kept quiet.

Viney thoroughly deserves his spot, he cracked in all day and put a lot of his teammates to shame with his intensity.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, binman said:

Of course some were, that is the nature of footy. Pressure exacerbates poor skill and technique. The eagles are a much, much better kicking team and executed under pressure much better. As good kicks do. At one point deep into the second half the DE was 75% to 42%. 

But many of the errant kicks were under zero pressure. Some from stoppages after a mark or free. Like Mays missed kick that went straight to an eagle and cost us a goal.

We are the worst team in the league at kicking a football accurately.

Binman, all in all, W.Coast were simply a better team on the day. Their kicks went mainly where they wanted them to go. You have those days. The Demons have been having too many days, though, where their kicks go straight to the opposition. It also didn't help that when Hibberd kept the long, markable kicks into the forward line, West Coast marked them. Brown and Tom were not effective. All in all, what can ya do? It is what is is. Or, It was what it was...Che sera, sera...

Shots of Goody during the third qtr saw him looking like a rabbit in the spotlight, like Don Pyke in the 17 Grannie. Where was the passion? The Fire? Bloody hell, Dimmer gave the Tigers are rev up at 3 qtr time and they were well up. Goody was cold, and he doesn't inspire his troops.

The game plan doesn't work. The game plan doesn't work. The game plan doesn't work. 

Nothing has changed for the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieter said:

Binman, all in all, W.Coast were simply a better team on the day. Their kicks went mainly where they wanted them to go. You have those days.

Simply,  West-Coast were playing very composed, almost slow,  and we were rushed,  (did this to ourselves), and wasteful for the whole game.   This might have been related to our pre game setup.

I take nothing out of this game,  because its just not a good enough look at our footy.

11 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Either the players aren’t listening OR the coach is not getting through to the players. 

Or the players aren't good enough, at least in terms of decision-making and disposal under pressure.

Half of our I50's came from just 3 players: Langdon, Hibberd, Viney. Great disposers of the ball? I think not.

Compared to WC, where their leading I50 disposer was Kelly, as sublime a kick as there is.

• Like 2

The amount of pointless analysis for a game that the team and club did not want to play, after the season was shut down, is remarkably stupid and tragic. The game should not have gone ahead, that it did does not give a reflection of the team or prospects. Playing 17 rounds will never never be fair for teams playing interstate. Stop talking about this season, it will not count. Playing the game was about advertising, not football.

18 hours ago, Redleg said:

Why don't you read my post slowly and try to understand what I have written.

I never said that "rumours of difficulty getting home"  was an excuse for poor kicking.

What I said was, that I am not too critical of a 27 point loss, given ALL the factors that I mentioned.

Read it again here    "Given the late flight, change in hotel, suspension of the competition just before the game, rumours of difficulty getting home, more inside 50 entries, playing a WCE at home and at full strength, poor disposal and terrible form of most of the team and then only losing by 27 points, I am not too critical of the result."

In future, could you please type it more slowly. That might help.

• Haha 1

My thoughts about the game which in the scheme of things means very little:

• Forward line structure, balance and movement is non-existent as per 2019
  • The kicking into the forward line was deplorable but the forwards weren't helped by the structure and constantly being outnumbered
    • I almost died of laughter when West Coast at one stage had two players all on their own in their forward line
  • 2018 Tom McDonald isn't coming back
  • Despite dropping a handpass from 2 metres away early in the game Oscar McDonald was solid
  • Spargo and ANB should never play senior football again in the same team
  • Hibberd is cooked
  • I love Langdon's hair but already sick of his up-and-under kicks
  • Tomlinson peaked in the Marsh series
  • I was all for Brown but he didn't do enough to suggest he's worth persisting with
  • Our centre clearances were woeful for a team who supposedly is good at it
    • How often did West Coast win the hit out to a player on his own and all of our midfielders would just run away allowing an easy forward entry?
  • Pickett will be the pick of the draft, what a star
  • The way West Coast move the ball is effortless (much like Richmond)
    • I've been saying this for a long time but for us to score is such hard work, even in 2018 when we were good the scoring came about through sheer grit and hard work which is great but not sustainable
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, bing181 said:

Or the players aren't good enough, at least in terms of decision-making and disposal under pressure.

Half of our I50's came from just 3 players: Langdon, Hibberd, Viney. Great disposers of the ball? I think not.

Compared to WC, where their leading I50 disposer was Kelly, as sublime a kick as there is.

This is a problem in itself.

Why are we setting up scoring chains with players like these delivering inside 50? Particularly Hibberd who is a half-back. Why is he galloping up the ground and bombing it 50m repeatedly?

We need players delivering the ball inside 50 who know what they're doing. I won't write Langdon off after one game but we all know Hibberd and Viney stink at it so we need to change the way we're setting up and the way we're getting the ball from the back half to the forward half.