Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TEAMS: MS02 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

58 minutes ago, Pates said:

Interesting robust discussion on OMac, I’m not a huge fan of his but I think as a second tall he does a decent enough job DEFENSIVELY. When he gets the ball I may panic attacks though. 

That said I would always expect May to be taking the opposition’s no. 1 key forward which leaves OMac/alternative option on their second tall forward and Lever floating as the interceptor. 

For now I think OMac has done enough to have that place in the team, I’m just glad we don’t have both him and Frost there together. 

I am not sure why you panic when he has ball in hand. His kicking is actually very good, one of the best we have

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Bay Riffin said:

big game for Weideman, who never seems to be a consistent showing week to week.

I must say Omac seems to play way more games then what he offers. even with May and Lever in he's selected.

Yes, “week to week” is probably the appropriate terminology, given there’s only been roughly two weeks of matches. 

1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

All the attention has been on Kossie, so Bedford has been a bit of a sleeper and gone under the radar a bit.

In general, from a situation of being bereft of small forwards we may end up with it as being a strength.  If they are both in good form, don't see why we couldn't play both of Kossie and Bedford.  Then we could also have the luxury of ANB, Spargo, Hunt and Baker all fighting it out for competition for a spot in the team - all of which are very capable on their day.  If Hannan and/or Smith ever make it off the injury list, they are both pretty quick forward types very much capable of making an impact in the air or on the ground.

One would hope that the return of Hannan and JSmith is a soon-to-be fait accompli. Those two are terrific footballers - very potent avenues for our forward success. Injuries must have made them both doubly hungry for success in their respective contributions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, binman said:

Like tmac said in the commentary box his role is to be the last line of defence. Move across and back as required to force the opposition to consider the  kick inside 50. Said rhe work he does is hard to see.

As you say he will also take the opposition big in a man on man, almost traditional full back role allowing may and lever to intercept and be attacking defenders.

A very specific role that means he will not get many disposals or kudos for that matter. Lots of one percenters and not much razzle dazzle. 

Key is he plays the role coach asks him to the letter. I sudpect unlike frost.

Not a hater of O'Mac, though in recent times I definitely agree with TMac that 'the work he does is hard to see' but probably from a different perspective! 

No AFL standard player can be forgiven for semi regular uncontested skill errors whether they have lost confidence or not. From a distance he doesn't always seem to keep his concentration levels and focus up.

However, I do recall he was handy a few years ago, so hopefully with a fit back line around to support him he get back to those levels

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

One would hope that the return of Hannan and JSmith is a soon-to-be fait accompli. Those two are terrific footballers - very potent avenues for our forward success. Injuries must have made them both doubly hungry for success in their respective contributions.

Smith will play in defence and may be the one that pushes OMac out of the side.

9 minutes ago, dworship said:

Smith will play in defence and may be the one that pushes OMac out of the side.

That is a pleasing consideration as he has the capacity, speed and clearance skills to ably so do.

17 hours ago, Demonland said:

Add Salem and Kossie to that team and it is looking solid!

potentially drop ANB for kossie. then from the bench, remove, LJ, Brown, Spargo, Hore, lockhart - some stiff blokes there!

bench of Salem, AVB, Gus, Bedford? 

• Like 1

Strong line up. The four I would like on the bench this week are Brayshaw, avb, jackson, Lockhart.

My only changes i would then like to see for round 1 if all available.

- Kozzi or Hannan in for ANB

- smith in for omac

- Salem for Lockhart 

3 hours ago, binman said:

Maybe dazzler. But I don't think you can underestimate the importance of a player playing the role assigned by goody. And i reckon ANB does, most particularly in the distance he covers.

I understand the knock on his game but my gut tells me plays round one.

He covers distance.

You've sold me. 

Happy to have O Mac in the side if it means Lever can be the floating intercepting third key defender that got him a nomination in the All Australian 40 in 2017 in his third year of footy.

We haven't seen the full value of Lever yet as he's played just 3 games with May and 0 games with both May and O Mac.

1 hour ago, The Swimming Dee said:

I am not sure why you panic when he has ball in hand. His kicking is actually very good, one of the best we have

His kicking is ok, it’s his decision making that’s the issue. Much like Frost he’s not a smart player. 

36 minutes ago, Mdemonski3 said:

Strong line up. The four I would like on the bench this week are Brayshaw, avb, jackson, Lockhart.

My only changes i would then like to see for round 1 if all available.

- Kozzi or Hannan in for ANB

- smith in for omac

- Salem for Lockhart 

Kozzie is a very different player to ANB, more of a traditional small forward whereas Nibbler works hard and covers lots of territory. Hannah hasn’t had a pre-season, I’m a big wrap for him but I think he’ll need at least a week at the VFL to gets some match fitness. 

Smith has barely been training with the main group, OMac is ahead of him until Smith gets fitness and form I would’ve thought. 

• Like 1

Was going to play a drinking game tonight where I have a shot every time Luke Breust gets a contested possession.

Hopefully I can get drunk on the smell of rum, because there sure won't be any going down my throat.

Softest player I have ever seen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, loges said:

Weideman under a lot of pressure from Brown, he needs to show something early.

Weid (22 years old) played ruck against Adelaide and had 19 touches.

Brown (29 years old) got a couple of lucky goals and was unsighted for the rest.

Don't really think he's putting "a lot of pressure" on him.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Anything is a upgrade on ANB. I would like to Honestly say that i would be absolutely shocked if ANB is in our round 1 side. If the coaches are fair dinkum about picking a strong side against the eagles then he doesn't get a gig.

5 hours ago, binman said:

Maybe dazzler. But I don't think you can underestimate the importance of a player playing the role assigned by goody. And i reckon ANB does, most particularly in the distance he covers.

I understand the knock on his game but my gut tells me plays round one.

I also think the key to ANB's selection is the ground he covers, however with Bedford now on the scene, and able to cover the distance - with the better skills - it really does put pressure on ANB to get his act together. Could ANB have kicked that goal against Norf? More likely to send it out on the full I reckon.

I like ANB but he's had enough chances to get his disposal right, and if Bedford shows he can play that role tonight, he firms for round 1.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Omac, May, Lever with Hibberd is one tall too many in my view. Kozzie’s absence really leaves the door open for Bedford to take his chance whilst its there. Was very good against North and could have easily kicked 4. Will be interesting to watch how we use the bench to manage minutes or whether we will play 22 and the other 4 are purely to sub on an as needs basis. 

Id be opposite think it just right. Omac/May both key posts. Lever best suited to third floater/interceptor. Hibberd best suited to mid size runner.

In comparison Haw have named, Frost, Frawley, Stratton, McKevoy, Sciliy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

No AFL standard player can be forgiven for semi regular uncontested skill errors whether they have lost confidence or not. 

See this is what i don't get. Of all our defenders only jetts come close in terms of hitting targets, and jetts can only do so up to 40 metres.

I understand the knocks on his game,  in particular that he can be a bit reactive and is slow off the mark.

But it is just not true that he semi regularly makes uncontested skill errors. I find it strange that a dees fan could watch us play regularly and thinks he does.

Hore, lever and hibbo do but omac doesn't. And frost most certainly made any number of skill errors, uncontested and contested. Which is why we low balled him.

The fact that omac hits targets and makes few skill errors is a key reason that, much to the chagrin of many it seems, he is in the side.

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, binman said:

See this is what i don't get. Of all our defenders only jetts come close in terms hitting targets, and jetts can only do so up to 40 metres.

I understand the knocks on his game,  in particular that he can be a bit reactive and is slow off the mark.

But it is just not true he semi regularly makes uncontested skill errors. I find it strange that a dees fan could watch us play regularly and thinks he does.

Hore, lever and hibbo do but omac doesn't. And frost most certainly did not. Which is why we low balled him.

The fact that omac hits targets and makes few skill errors is a key reason that, much to the chagrin of many it seems, he is in the side.

Agree 100%. 

Omac is very reliable with ball in hand and does not make 'semi regular uncontested skill errors'. He is a more effective kick than he is handball, but overall, he is not one to worry about when he has the ball. It's the one part of his game that doesn't really need much work. 

You're also correct in that his weaknesses are that he is reactive and can ball watch; and he is also quite slow with a poor turning circle, so he often misses the chance to impact either the footy or an opposing forward with speed. He is the polar opposite of Frost. 

Omac = Smart, Safe but slow and reactive

Frost = Dumb, Risky with speed and high twitch

So many fans watch Footy with blinkers on. They see Omac lose a 1v1 contest with a loose ball against a more nimble opponent, which means conceding a goal because of where he plays at full back, and therefore everything Omac does is no good. All of a sudden he can't kick, can't spoil or tie his own bootlaces. 

Another poster above suggested Bedford brings everything ANB brings re. endurance, but with better skills. 

ANB doesn't have amazing skills, but have you watched Bedford at all? Earlier in the game against North he missed 2 regulation set shots from exactly the same position, 25 out albeit with a breeze. Later on, he gathered the ball in midfield and tried a 5m kick that landed in the arms of the opposition. For a small player, he is not highly skilled and has an irregular ball drop. This is not a criticism as I think he has potential, but to suggest he's more skilled than ANB on the showing of one practise game with less than full-AFL intensity and pressure is just absurd.

The poster who said ANB would have sprayed Bedford's running goal out on the full - ANB has kicked that exact goal for us, playing GC in Brisbane in 2018, coming off the back of the square. He's probably done it other times as well, in full AFL games. He's also topped the team in pressure acts, score assists and kicked over 20 goals as a roaming HFF in 2018, with regular possession counts over 20. On historical and exposed form he's so far ahead of Bedford it's not even funny. I am not some ANB fanatic and I think we can do better in his position as I question his decision making under pressure and think he lacks explosiveness, but he is continually undervalued.

I understand when supporters of other teams make these observations, but you're right binman I just don't know how anyone can watch the Dees semi-regularly (or regularly enough to watch a practise game live stream!) as a supporter and fail to actually comprehend what is going on.  

Edited by fr_ap
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, binman said:

See this is what i don't get. Of all our defenders only jetts come close in terms of hitting targets, and jetts can only do so up to 40 metres.

But it is just not true that he semi regularly makes uncontested skill errors. I find it strange that a dees fan could watch us play regularly and thinks he does.

Hore, lever and hibbo do but omac doesn't. And frost most certainly made any number of skill errors, uncontested and contested. Which is why we low balled him.

This is 100% correct. Those that say he is no good with ball in hand have OMac confused with another of our players. It is simply untrue 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

Agree 100%. 

Omac is very reliable with ball in hand and does not make 'semi regular uncontested skill errors'. He is a more effective kick than he is handball, but overall, he is not one to worry about when he has the ball. It's the one part of his game that doesn't really need much work. 

You're also correct in that his weaknesses are that he is reactive and can ball watch; and he is also quite slow with a poor turning circle, so he often misses the chance to impact either the footy or an opposing forward with speed. He is the polar opposite of Frost. 

Omac = Smart, Safe but slow and reactive

Frost = Dumb, Risky with speed and high twitch

So many fans watch Footy with blinkers on. They see Omac lose a 1v1 contest with a loose ball against a more nimble opponent, which means conceding a goal because of where he plays at full back, and therefore everything Omac does is no good. All of a sudden he can't kick, can't spoil or tie his own bootlaces. 

Another poster above suggested Bedford brings everything ANB brings re. endurance, but with better skills. 

ANB doesn't have amazing skills, but have you watched Bedford at all? Earlier in the game against North he missed 2 regulation set shots from exactly the same position, 25 out albeit with a breeze. Later on, he gathered the ball in midfield and tried a 5m kick that landed in the arms of the opposition. For a small player, he is not highly skilled and has an irregular ball drop. This is not a criticism as I think he has potential, but to suggest he's more skilled than ANB on the showing of one practise game with less than full-AFL intensity and pressure is just absurd.

The poster who said ANB would have sprayed Bedford's running goal out on the full - ANB has kicked that exact goal for us, playing GC in Brisbane in 2018, coming off the back of the square. He's probably done it other times as well, in full AFL games. He's also topped the team in pressure acts, score assists and kicked over 20 goals as a roaming HFF in 2018, with regular possession counts over 20. On historical and exposed form he's so far ahead of Bedford it's not even funny. I am not some ANB fanatic and I think we can do better in his position as I question his decision making under pressure and think he lacks explosiveness, but he is continually undervalued.

I understand when supporters of other teams make these observations, but you're right binman I just don't know how anyone can watch the Dees semi-regularly (or regularly enough to watch a practise game live stream!) as a supporter and fail to actually comprehend what is going on.  

Mods: Will Fr ap be banned for speaking too much common sense? 

I am really hopeful that the balance in our back 6 will produce something special and cant wait to see how Lever, may and Omac work together. 

• Like 1