Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training Ground?

Romey

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The available figures are very rubbery

Essendon's facility at Tullamarine is quoted at $21M whereas Hawthorn's new facility at Dingley is quoted at $100M.

$15M sounds reasonable compared to the Hawks contribution at perhaps $30M

Jimmy S wiped out $5M of debt so hopefully over time we can find $15M

As I recall from the Foundation Heroes event, the debt was covered in one night’s donating.

Without doubt the biggest fund raising event ever at the MFC.

It was Jimmy’s idea and his gift to us, with the time he spent away from his family, working on the event, when he should have been spending every precious moment with his family.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

7 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The available figures are very rubbery

Essendon's facility at Tullamarine is quoted at $21M whereas Hawthorn's new facility at Dingley is quoted at $100M.

$15M sounds reasonable compared to the Hawks contribution at perhaps $30M

Jimmy S wiped out $5M of debt so hopefully over time we can find $15M

We have $15m in the bank, we just won’t want to use it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Heard 21 year lease.

Two ovals.

Building to house admin and football department.

$15 million needed from us - come on down Foundation Heroes and Legends.

Presumably the 2nd oval will be in the dimensions of GMHBA given how often we are fixtured there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 22
  • Clap 2
  • Vomit 1

6 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

...another week to go...FIFA requires the stadiums to be free for a week AFTER the last game is played. 

https://sport.optus.com.au/news/womens-world-cup-2023/os59834/fifa-womens-world-cup-2023-host-stadiums-melbourne-aami-park

This seems ridiculous to me. Why would FIFA care two hoots about what happens a week afterwards?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

This seems ridiculous to me. Why would FIFA care two hoots about what happens a week afterwards?

Allows time to decamp.. remember FIFA control all aspects of the stadium during the event (clean stadium)

For example the caterers need time to pack up as does the media facility provider. These exist only for the tournament. The logistics are substantial. Just de trucking the Budweiser must take a day or two not to mention those USA jerseys !!

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

25 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Allows time to decamp.. remember FIFA control all aspects of the stadium during the event (clean stadium)

For example the caterers need time to pack up as does the media facility provider. These exist only for the tournament. The logistics are substantial. Just de trucking the Budweiser must take a day or two not to mention those USA jerseys !!

Some time is fair enough (couple of days probably). But a full week seems over the top.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Not only is the Foundation Heroes event on today, but also the Ron Barassi Wills and Bequest event. This is for people to include the MFC in their Wills and Bequests

Ties in with money being sought for new facilities.

Remember we have a lot in the bank already from the sale of Bentleigh land and Oakleigh lease of pokies facilities.

However, we would be talking a lot more money and will need plenty from other sources, private, government, AFL etc.

Hopefully my info was correct and Caulfield Racecourse is about to be announced as our new home base.

Go Dees.

Great work with the info 'Red'

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

Some time is fair enough (couple of days probably). But a full week seems over the top.

If you thought the IOC are demanding... FIFA is at another level altogether

FIFA must be licking its chops at the apparent success of the WWC. Their only problem is how to monetise it in the Middle East but I can see Northern Africa (Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia) getting a WWC in the not too distant future.

Another four years of EPL and Champions League competition will see interest grow. Unfortunately I can't see the A League version cracking on but who knows.

My final word on the subject... why we co-bid with NZ I'll never know...most of their crowds were abysmal

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

If you thought the IOC are demanding... FIFA is at another level altogether

FIFA must be licking its chops at the apparent success of the WWC. Their only problem is how to monetise it in the Middle East but I can see Northern Africa (Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia) getting a WWC in the not too distant future.

Another four years of EPL and Champions League competition will see interest grow. Unfortunately I can't see the A League version cracking on but who knows.

My final word on the subject... why we co-bid with NZ I'll never know...most of their crowds were abysmal

The only thing they understand is rugby. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Heard 21 year lease.

Two ovals.

Building to house admin and football department.

$15 million needed from us - come on down Foundation Heroes and Legends.

There would be no way we are heavily investing in a facility on crown land, with only a 21 year lease. 99 years more likely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well I was hoping to come back on DL with the scoop of the year but there was nothing, zilch, niente.. Mr. Leg you still hold the mantle.

I was hoping Perty would be at the function so I could stand up on behalf of all DLers and ask the pert..inent question.

Alas no CEO but good old Robbo (full forward not journo) and it seems Robbo is not in on any info. So no big announcement but we did hear from Jonesy and Brad Green.

Jonesy was asked about being a one club player and he said that he was comfortable with the decision to stay but was a little disappointed how it ended but also at the same time understood the reasoning behind it. His decision to stay was that he felt that as a leader of a club that at the time was not travelling well, he felt that he needed to stay to finish what he had started. Jonesy said that he contacted Clarry a couple of weeks ago to see how he was travelling mentally dealing with his injury. He said if you hadn't had a soft tissue injury before it was difficult to deal with mentally. He feels now that Clarry will be back that Trac will spend more time forward and has confidence in our small forwards.

Robbo asked Brad about being a one Club player and he emphasised that coming from Tasmania at 18 years old, not knowing anyone, he was embraced by the Club and that is why now if the Club ever need him to do something he is always happy to assist. He sees the Club and past players as family.

They both emphasised the importance of the noise that supporters make at games and how it lifts the players on the ground especially in those close games. He said he was lying on the beach in Italy or Greece watching the Brisbane game and went for a swim at half time thinking it wasnt looking good but during the last two quarters he was getting calls from mates in Melbourne saying we were coming back. 

We also heard from Nibbler and Tom Sparrow. Alex NB is a very good communicator and I can see how he is in the leadership group. 

There was a brief round up from one of the Directors (cant remember who) who basically said the Club is in a very good financial position not much else (probably why I can't remember his name).

The concerning thing was that Ronald D was not at the event and he is always there. He was filmed at the football a couple of weeks ago so I am hoping all is well with RDB.

Finally the food was good but only one scone per person🥲

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

54 minutes ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

Well I was hoping to come back on DL with the scoop of the year but there was nothing, zilch, niente.. Mr. Leg you still hold the mantle.

I was hoping Perty would be at the function so I could stand up on behalf of all DLers and ask the pert..inent question.

Alas no CEO but good old Robbo (full forward not journo) and it seems Robbo is not in on any info. So no big announcement but we did hear from Jonesy and Brad Green.

Jonesy was asked about being a one club player and he said that he was comfortable with the decision to stay but was a little disappointed how it ended but also at the same time understood the reasoning behind it. His decision to stay was that he felt that as a leader of a club that at the time was not travelling well, he felt that he needed to stay to finish what he had started. Jonesy said that he contacted Clarry a couple of weeks ago to see how he was travelling mentally dealing with his injury. He said if you hadn't had a soft tissue injury before it was difficult to deal with mentally. He feels now that Clarry will be back that Trac will spend more time forward and has confidence in our small forwards.

Robbo asked Brad about being a one Club player and he emphasised that coming from Tasmania at 18 years old, not knowing anyone, he was embraced by the Club and that is why now if the Club ever need him to do something he is always happy to assist. He sees the Club and past players as family.

They both emphasised the importance of the noise that supporters make at games and how it lifts the players on the ground especially in those close games. He said he was lying on the beach in Italy or Greece watching the Brisbane game and went for a swim at half time thinking it wasnt looking good but during the last two quarters he was getting calls from mates in Melbourne saying we were coming back. 

We also heard from Nibbler and Tom Sparrow. Alex NB is a very good communicator and I can see how he is in the leadership group. 

There was a brief round up from one of the Directors (cant remember who) who basically said the Club is in a very good financial position not much else (probably why I can't remember his name).

The concerning thing was that Ronald D was not at the event and he is always there. He was filmed at the football a couple of weeks ago so I am hoping all is well with RDB.

So no mention of any new training ground?

Was there any reason given why the function was held?

I still believe if my info was correct, that there will be an announcement about us having our new home base at Caulfield Racecourse in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

33 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I still believe if my info was correct, that there will be an announcement about us having our new home base at Caulfield Racecourse in the near future.

you're under the pump now red

but we're sticking fat with you

caulfield or bust

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, daisycutter said:

you're under the pump now red

but we're sticking fat with you

caulfield or bust

Yep.

Am hoping it’s just a few details being finalised and then bang.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

8 hours ago, Redleg said:

I’d say your mail is good, but so good it is far from ready for announcement. When I asked my friend who would have some insight, his response was simply “Something in the media?”

Then went on to reveal knowledge of discussions between the club and the trustees, that it would be a great result for the reserve (unaware of how good it would be for us!) but also that state govt currently has no budget to develop the land.

It may be much too early for a reveal, as it sounds quite a bit of water needs to go under the bridge with securing significant funding for any sort of development. I’m not privy to the inner workings of these things, but it seems a bit chicken or the egg. A big commitment for us if no funding eventuates, but a development probably needs the profile of an AFL club to attract such funding. I’d say an AFL club that has just won another flag would be ideal, but maybe one that just had another strong finals showing is enough.

• Like 6
  • Thinking 2

On 8/1/2023 at 7:27 AM, pitmaster said:

Yes, timing is awful. Plus for wider acceptance clubs need a gimmick, some community element that sets them apart such as Bulldogs: western suburbs; Richmond : indigenous centre; Carlton: base of AFLW…I wonder what’s left for us?

Partner with Reach - Jim Stynes Centre - targeted at underprivileged kids/youth mental health. It's sitting right there.

• Like 10
  • Clap 4
  • Thinking 1

11 hours ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

There were two different MFC functions yesterday - the Ron Barassi Bequest Society and the Foundation Heroes event. Gary Pert was at the latter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Maybe they can make a separate boghole to practice on for Hobart games..

I think the idea is to have two ovals.

One will be the exact dimensions of the MCG.

The other can be adjusted as needed to simulate the sub standard, non elite ground the MFC might have to play on:

• Kardinia Park with it's non existent wings and 50 metre arcs that meet in the centre circle
  • Boggy Tassie grounds with added wind turbine for verisimilitude
  • Tiny, ammo standards grounds to simulate Cairns and Darwin with added ground water and humidifier for verisimilitude
  • See above for the Gabba
  • Beautiful ground with a branch from a gum tree over hanging the boundary line to simulate the Alice with added flood water and lifting turf to replicate once in century flood events
  • A postage stamp ground to simulate Docklands with added capacity to dim the light towers as required to replicate the terrible lighting at a ground remarkably built in the last 30 years (they have contingency plan if finance becomes an issue - train at dusk and don't turn the lights on at all)
  • The exact dimensions of Optus oval - just for feel good vibes when needed

No stone unturned. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

I’d say your mail is good, but so good it is far from ready for announcement. When I asked my friend who would have some insight, his response was simply “Something in the media?”

Then went on to reveal knowledge of discussions between the club and the trustees, that it would be a great result for the reserve (unaware of how good it would be for us!) but also that state govt currently has no budget to develop the land.

It may be much too early for a reveal, as it sounds quite a bit of water needs to go under the bridge with securing significant funding for any sort of development. I’m not privy to the inner workings of these things, but it seems a bit chicken or the egg. A big commitment for us if no funding eventuates, but a development probably needs the profile of an AFL club to attract such funding. I’d say an AFL club that has just won another flag would be ideal, but maybe one that just had another strong finals showing is enough.

Can it be privately funded?

Maybe sell the naming rights to a corporation for top dollar?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Can it be privately funded?

Maybe sell the naming rights to a corporation for top dollar?

Someone would need deep pockets.

I’d think the facility naming rights would be a lucrative component for us to exploit irrespective of where the funding comes from.

Mind you - does Casey have such a deal? Or is it too heavily controlled by the council?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1