AFL and 18 Clubs apologise to Adam Goodes

Lucifers Hero

18 hours ago, demonstone said:

I wondered how long it would be before a knuckle dragger brought up this red herring.

If that is a reason for sustained booing, why didn't other "floppers"  (eg.  Matthew Lloyd)  cop it? 

Further, if it were the real reason, why did he not get booed for all of his career?

Why don't other indigenous players get booed? There is more than 100 of them playing and most of us marvel at their talents. 

as for calling someone a knuckle dragger I think this says more about you and your bs virtue signalling than anything written here about Goodes.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

What a load of PC guff.

eddie betts doesn’t get booed.

goodes was a racially divisive [censored] of the highest order and got exactly what that delivers.

betts will be remembered as a great man and a superb player.

goodes tried to bring politics in to football and got exactly what he deserved. The crowd spoke - “F^*+ off mate” 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Fitz Fitzpatrick said:

What a load of PC guff.

eddie betts doesn’t get booed.

goodes was a racially divisive [censored] of the highest order and got exactly what that delivers.

betts will be remembered as a great man and a superb player.

goodes tried to bring politics in to football and got exactly what he deserved. The crowd spoke - “F^*+ off mate” 

To you it’s politics. To Goodes it’s a lifetime of lived experience. Potato/potarto.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Nasher said:

To you it’s politics. To Goodes it’s a lifetime of lived experience. Potato/potarto.

Careful Nasher, you'll get accused of the heinous crime of 'virtue signaling'.

I wonder what the opposite of virtue signalling is? Bigot signalling? Redneck signalling? Nuffie signalling? 

Edited by binman
  • Like 7

I'm a little surprised that nobody has gone with the "PC" accusation earlier as it seems to be a coverall criticism.

"Political Correctness" is best defined as a  hackneyed, cliched term of uncertain meaning trotted out in a kneejerk manner by those of low intelligence and limited education when confronted with anything about the modern world that they just don't understand.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, binman said:

Careful Basher, you'll get accused of the heinous crime of 'virtue signaling'.

I wonder what the opposite of virtue signalling is? Bigot signalling? Redneck signalling? Nuffie signalling? 

My other favourite is SJW. My goodness, you wouldn’t want to be seen fighting for the justice of others ?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, demonstone said:

I'm a little surprised that nobody has gone with the "PC" accusation earlier as it seems to be a coverall criticism.

"Political Correctness" is best defined as a  hackneyed, cliched term of uncertain meaning trotted out in a kneejerk manner by those of low intelligence and limited education when confronted with anything about the modern world that they just don't understand.

I’m pretty indifferent about the whole debate to be honest but your posting about this topic irks me, particularly the condescending comments such as ‘knuckle draggers’ and people with ‘low intelligence’ and ‘limited education’. It’s classic left wing attack dog behaviour.

You should take a second to stop and recognise the irony of your approach here.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I dont like adam goodes. I thought he got boo'd occasionally before he pointed out the younh girl for horrible racist comments. I think he could have used this terrible situation that wasnt his fault in a much better way. Teaching and bringing people together. Instead he polarized. Am i racist? I think adam goodes is racist.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, binman said:

I look forward to watching the doco. Apparently it is going to shown as part of the Sydney Film Festival then that's it in terms of a cinema release. So no release to cinema and i don't think TV either. They plan to put it on a website (i can't recall which) where it can be viewed for free to enable it be used for educational purposes. Brilliant idea.

Interesting concept for the doco in so far as there is no narration, interviews or talking heads. It is 100% archival footage, the idea apparently being that that approach support people making up their own minds about what happened and why. 

I'd highly recommend reading Bruce Pascoe's Dark Emu.

Should be read in every school.

The more Australians learn about this wonderful culture and appreciate what they've had to endure since colonolisation, the less booing and [censored] there'd be.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, McQueen said:

It’s classic left wing attack dog behaviour.

Ah yes, "Lefty", the natural stablemate of "PC",  "Virtue Signalling" and "SJW".  You've completed the quaddy!

I stand by my comments and I stand by Adam Goodes.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Then he won AOTY and instead of using the honour to unite he chose to use the platform to deliver divisive anti australian rhetoric during some of his speeches.

Serious question 'Fork'.

I've seen a lot of people talk of unite...what actions do you see he could have done or words he could have spoken to unite?

When you see a divided country and your people downtrodden what do you do? what should you do?

....and what was the anti Australian rhetoric he used?

This is his Australia day acceptance speech by the way...seems inclusive and uniting to me but maybe I'm not reading it right. 

“It’s an honour to win an award for doing stuff that you love and that you believe in. For me, I chose that life is all about actions and interactions. I believe that our choices and how we interact with each other creates our relationships and this in turn creates the environment that we live in.

Our environment shapes our communities which then shapes the country that we all live in. Growing up as an indigenous Australian I have experienced my fair share of racism. While it has been difficult a lot of the time, it has also taught me a lot and also shaped my values and what I believe in today. I believe racism is a community issue which we all need to address and that’s why racism stops with me.

There are always two ways we can look at a situation. We can choose to get angry. Or not. We can choose to help others. Or not. Or choose to be offended. Or not. We can keep our silence or educate ourselves and others about racism and minority populations.

It is not just about taking responsibility for your own actions but speaking to your mates when they take out their anger on their loved ones, minority groups or make racist remarks. It means treating people the way you want to be treated, whether that’s your manners, the way you talk to people, whether they are your loved ones or the person serving your dinner. It’s about how you choose to give back and make a difference to those around you, your community or your country that goes outside of just yourself.

I believe we are all connected whether we like it or not. We are all equal and the same in so many ways. My hope is that we as a nation can break down the silos between races, break down those stereotypes of minority populations, indigenous populations and all other minority groups. I hope we can be proud of our heritage regardless of the colour of our skin and be proud to be Australian.

I’m not here to tell you what to think, or how to act to raise your children. All I’m here to do is tell you about my experiences and hope you choose to be aware of your actions and interactions so that together we can eliminate racism.

I’m so grateful for this award and this honour, however the real reward is when everyone is talking to their mates, to their families and their children, having those conversations and educating others about racism. What it looks like, how hurtful and how pointless it is and how we can eliminate it.

The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals. To me, everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it’s the people and the interactions between us that makes this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day.”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Ah yes, "Lefty", the natural stablemate of "PC",  "Virtue Signalling" and "SJW".  You've completed the quaddy!

“Alt-Right” “Racist” “Redneck” “Nazi”

The game of puerile extremes works both ways. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Why are you quoting something that I didn’t say?

oh hang on...

53 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I'd highly recommend reading Bruce Pascoe's Dark Emu.

Should be read in every school.

The more Australians learn about this wonderful culture and appreciate what they've had to endure since colonolisation, the less booing and [censored] there'd be.

Yes, it's on my to read list. Friends have told me it is brilliant.

I recently watched Warrick Thornton's excellent (sort of) sick We don't need a flag about the southern cross and Bruce Pasco was interviewd. Interesting fella.

Highly recommend the film for the much the same reason as you recommend Dark Emu. Great soundtrack too.

OK, maybe some people booed him because of his flopping etc.  But I'd bet my bottom dollar, a lot of racists felt free to boo him because they had that as an excuse to hide behind.

That indicates progress to me - racists being embarrassed to be seen as simply that can only mean that in time those attitudes will only be held by a decreasing minority.  Today's PC is tomorrow's social norm.

Edit to add:  Maybe better to say yesterday's PC is today's social norm.

Edited by sue
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for posting Goodes' speech. Sounds quite gracious to me, after all he has experienced. Even wishes everyone a great Australia Day. (Something others are currently campaigning to get rid of.) What part of it did people find so offensive and confronting? Makes you wonder what some people can read into things.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dame Gaga said:

Thanks for posting Goodes' speech. Sounds quite gracious to me, after all he has experienced. Even wishes everyone a great Australia Day. (Something others are currently campaigning to get rid of.) What part of it did people find so offensive and confronting? Makes you wonder what some people can read into things.

I think the campaign is to change the date from January 26 rather than eliminate the celebration.  But unfortunately the campaign was politicised as Invasion Day and Goodes became the lightning rod for a campaign which he had nothing to do with.

Federation of the existing 6 British Colonies comprising the Australian continent, occurred on Jan 1, 1901, our first federal election was on March 30, 1901and our first Prime Minister elected. 

My view is March 30 would be a very fitting Australia Day as that was the first time we had self rule, true independence and our democracy as one nation was formed. For mine it is more fitting than Jan 26, 1788 being the day Cook hoisted the British flag on our shores and claimed us as a British colony.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

My point is obvious. Reality in it's totality can't captured through the lens of one perspective only. No matter how emotive or 'right' that view may be presented as.

Unfortunately we live in an age where we just can't deal with that degree of nuance. We need our information wrapped in neat little bows. In black and white, literally.

It is a complex issue and you are free to remain paralysed by nuance and equivocal in your view.

I choose to understand the essence of the Goodes story - that the booing of him had a signficant racist component.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Dame Gaga said:

A speech is as much about what you don’t say as what you actually say. 

I remember the speech and just re-read it. It was hard hitting which is fine but not particularly conciliatory. It was certainly not a unifying, positive minded speech of the kind you’d hear say a Barack Obama make. 

He also chose to use the term “Invasion Day” on Australia Day as well which is clearly politically charged and was so obviously going to stoke more animosity in the nuff-nuffs. Unnecessary and unwise. Just like the simulated spear throwing at the crowd.

These things might’ve given some satisfaction to militant Far Leftists but they did nothing for race relations in this country. Anger and hysteria wins no friends.

As far as (let’s call it) Middle Australia was concerned, I think a lot of people saw a healthy, wealthy, well spoken young man and, although very understanding regarding the welfare of many indigenous Aussies, couldn’t cop why he wasn’t just a little more grateful to live in a country, a free and egalitarian country, which has provided him with such wonderful opportunities in life. Barely a word proffered about that.

I thought it was a poor speech. An opportunity missed.

Edited by Matsuo Basho

10 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

So why did Goodes get named Australian of the Year again?
Was it because he actually did something worthy of the honour or that he was just a prominent aboriginal at the time?

He first got boo'd for his cheap shots on the field that the AFL often let him off for.
Then he won AOTY and instead of using the honour to unite he chose to use the platform to deliver divisive anti australian rhetoric during some of his speeches.
This made many of the population who couldn't care less what colour you are didn't like the direction he took which is when the booing ramped up.
He then thought it a bright idea to run brandishing an imaginary spear at a small pocket of Carlton supporters at the SCG on prime time TV which is when all hell broke loose.
And he wonders why.

Now as they tend to do these days, all the holier than thou virtue signallers are out in force squealing racists.

Isn't coincidence amazing!  Outspoken aboriginal player receives unprecedented booing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Matsuo Basho said:

A speech is as much about what you don’t say as what you actually say. 

I remember the speech and just re-read it. It was hard hitting which is fine but not particularly conciliatory. It was certainly not a unifying, positive minded speech of the kind you’d hear say a Barack Obama make. 

He also chose to use the term “Invasion Day” on Australia Day as well which is clearly politically charged and was so obviously going to stoke more animosity in the nuff-nuffs. Unnecessary and unwise. Just like the simulated spear throwing at the crowd.

These things might’ve given some satisfaction to militant Far Leftists but they did nothing for race relations in this country. Anger and hysteria wins no friends.

As far as (let’s call it) Middle Australia was concerned, I think a lot of people saw a healthy, wealthy, well spoken young man and, although very understanding and conciliatory regarding the welfare of many indigenous Aussies, couldn’t understand why he wasn’t just a little more grateful to live in a country, a free and egalitarian country, which has provided him with such wonderful opportunities in life. Barely a word proffered about that.

Just my take.

Please link to where Goodes said 'Invasion Day' on or when referring to Australia Day.

1 minute ago, Matsuo Basho said:

https://www.zerohanger.com/adam-goodes-australia-day-speech-1282/amp/

“There was a lot of anger, a lot of sorrow, for this day and very much the feeling of invasion day,” he said.

You ever been invaded, man? You ever had your land declared terra Nullus? You ever been shot at by invaders who want to run sheep on your land? 

• Like 2