Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

8 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

Boomer has no clue buddy was from Perth, players like hogan don't go back to Perth, there are more chances of hogan going to a big Victorian club, or Sydney. 

Its called relevancy deprivation for Boomer. Trying to build any profile when not a serious journalist (I'm looking at you Kane Cornes) is the textbook approach to build post game career.

Too many ex players by far. Ex champ Jimmy Bartel is the worst. No idea on interviewing and getting info we don't already know.  Just a head on the screen with nothing better to offer now retired.

Just another headline grab .... Harvey you are becoming irrelevant . Sad to watch a good footballer in his day go down this path, he has lost his spotlight and now will be saying nearly anything to get a headline . 

Dont wast your time even reading his stuff . Even if Hogan did go back Harvey would have no idea, he is just hedging his bets here 

9 hours ago, P-man said:

Well that was a big load of nothing. No explanation as to why, other than Freo needing him.

Stick to car raffles, Boomer. 

Agreed, all absolute cow tish.

Hogan has a head on his shoulders and it tells him to do as he is doing. It keeps him sane and to a large extent, low-profile in comparison to some egomaniacs only just nearing his aptitudes on the football field.

We see a little frustration from him at times and for realistic reasons concerning 'team' but more frequently, tremendous smiles and motivation for the Demons and himself to continue along winning pathways.

He is the epitome of all things good in football, with loyalty to the Club not discounted.

He will retire in years to come as a Demon with a fantastic career in evidence. As we improve as a linking, team-oriented group of players with commensurate success ever-increasing Hogan, too, will contiuously improve and receive immense reward for his efforts in this regard. He is the new breed of footballing pros: skilled, improving, team-centred, successful and importantly, winning.

Is he a free agent in 2019?

If so I would consider trading him at years end if there is any chance of him leaving at the end of 2019.  Ideally we get him to sign a 3 year contact extension by end of the year, but if not Fremantle hand over 2 first round draft picks and he is yours.

We have a bloke developing nicely at Casey that will be banging down the door in 2019.

10 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Is he a free agent in 2019?

If so I would consider trading him at years end if there is any chance of him leaving at the end of 2019.  Ideally we get him to sign a 3 year contact extension by end of the year, but if not Fremantle hand over 2 first round draft picks and he is yours.

We have a bloke developing nicely at Casey that will be banging down the door in 2019.

That’s a bit like selling your car just in case someone steals it.

When Jesse gets to the FA stage, he’ll be a RFA anyway. If he comes to the club with an offer and wants to go, we make the other club come up with a suitable trade, Dangerfield style. I definitely wouldn’t pre-empt it though. Save that stuff for the paranoid and the insecure, and back ourselves to keep him.

This is all hypothetical anyway. I’m very confident he’s not going anywhere. I know some people think footballers are all filthy liars, but the quotes from the article listed by @ProDeereally resonate with me, because they align with exactly what I thought would happen. So long as we could successfully navigate those first few homesick years, he would develop in to an adult that was settled in Melbourne. That’s precisely what has happened.

4 minutes ago, Nasher said:

That’s a bit like selling your car just in case someone steals it.

When Jesse gets to the FA stage, he’ll be a RFA anyway. If he comes to the club with an offer and wants to go, we make the other club come up with a suitable trade, Dangerfield style. I definitely wouldn’t pre-empt it though. Save that stuff for the paranoid and the insecure, and back ourselves to keep him.

This is all hypothetical anyway. I’m very confident he’s not going anywhere. I know some people think footballers are all filthy liars, but the quotes from the article listed by @ProDeereally resonate with me, because they align with exactly what I thought would happen. So long as we could successfully navigate those first few homesick years, he would develop in to an adult that was settled in Melbourne. That’s precisely what has happened.

Nasher, unlike a lot of others on this site, I don't see Hogan as the be all end all type.  Would love to see him play at Melbourne for the next 8 odd years but any doubt we need to do what is best for the club.  We wouldn't be able to match the Fremantle offer, lets not kid ourselves on that.  To me if there is any risk trade him on our terms and not risk getting a buddy like pick that Hawthorn received.

I thought that Hogan's game against Footscray was  a breakout game to be honest. I also think think that the way he played it was instrumental in our approach to forward entry, which really looked good from a spectacle viewpoint. The fact that this ex player who happ ens to have come from the same Club where a CHF (Carey) of the highest quality played, has not been lost on me. I would think there has been a lot of talk this week about Hogan and his more intense aggression at the ball. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Nasher, unlike a lot of others on this site, I don't see Hogan as the be all end all type.  Would love to see him play at Melbourne for the next 8 odd years but any doubt we need to do what is best for the club.  We wouldn't be able to match the Fremantle offer, lets not kid ourselves on that.  To me if there is any risk trade him on our terms and not risk getting a buddy like pick that Hawthorn received.

Good comments from both of you.

Ultimately, football is business. They have a short career and Hogan would know this. They money is a substantial consideration, no doubt. Unless he has grand plans to have after footy success like Welsh or invests wisely his $ now. I'm not clear that some notion of club loyalty has much of a place anymore (as a rule) but there obviously would be exceptions to this statement, and Hogan may prove this.

In any case, it's not at all silly to sit down and have an honest convo with him.

Club > player

Hogan is a great player and I hope he stays.  It was absolutely vital that we signed him to his current contract. 

But if he left at the end of this contract it wouldn't be fatal.  TMac has signed long term and Weid is going to make it.  We can't currently fit all three in and retain team balance.  We have Tim Smith as depth and we could get away with one true tall forward - Richmond-style for a period anyway if necessary.

Hogan to Freo for Andrew Brayshaw and their 1st rounder - say pick 6 would be a very reasonable deal for us.   Weid is not Hogan but a deal like that means for our best 22 - Out: Hogan, In: Weid, Brayshaw, pick 6.  I could live with that.

9 minutes ago, dieter said:

Pavlich was an Adelaide boy....

Pavlich was on so much money outside of football in WA, he was everywhere and Hogan would get the same in WA.  Which to me might be one reason he does stay, going back to Perth everyone will want him, he doesn't strike me as a media type of guy and would rather surf with his mates than do this.  WA is a fish bowl, it really can break good players

• Like 1

Hard to see him leaving anytime soon to play with a side that looks a fair way off finals footy....Freo have an ok list but a lot of gaps still. And playing under Ross "The Floss" Lyon! The way they move the ball he'd be lucky to kick 30 goals a season!

59 minutes ago, willmoy said:

I thought that Hogan's game against Footscray was  a breakout game to be honest. I also think think that the way he played it was instrumental in our approach to forward entry, which really looked good from a spectacle viewpoint. The fact that this ex player who happ ens to have come from the same Club where a CHF (Carey) of the highest quality played, has not been lost on me. I would think there has been a lot of talk this week about Hogan and his more intense aggression at the ball. 

He made strides against Freo as well. Still a bit tentative to really run and jump at the footy and open himself up to contact which is a concern but it's much better than the few weeks before that.

• Like 1

Muppets sitting around at SEN HQ’s drinking coffee and laughing at MFC supporters sites going into meltdown.

tenor.gif?itemid=4268618

• Like 2

Out of context. Boomer was doing a review of the Freo list and was selling hope that Hogan would come to Perth. 

In his analysis of the Melbourne list earlier this year he talked about Hogan being a big part of the future of the Melbourne football club. 

Not a story which is why it is thin and boomer hasn’t followed up the comments.