The Jack Watts in 2018 Thread

Ugottobekidding

I don’t wish any ill will towards him, I hope he does well at port, as long as he’s cr@p when he plays us!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pates said:

I don’t wish any ill will towards him, I hope he does well at port, as long as he’s cr@p when he plays us!

Agree Pates.

Wish him all the best and hope he does well, just not too well when he plays us.

afaic, we are a poorer team as a result of his departure.

• Like 2

I just watched the highlights.  He kicked some very nice goals, but I note that his traditional issues were still on show.  He still can't take a mark cleanly in his hands which will hurt him during the regular season and he got a couple of pretty soft frees as well.  Still, a good effort from him. 

• Like 2

Can we have one Jack Watts thread? Then people who want to complain about trading him when he kicks a few can do so, and when he plays a stinker the same people can jump on and talk about how happy they are he left.

He's no longer a Dees player so couldn't care less what he does on an individual level. All I care about is how many wins we have.

• Like 9

Personally didn't want to see us trade Jack Watts, but please lets not have this commentary everytime he plays well, poorly or indiferent.  

Good that this has happened in preseason so it doesn't take up discussion space during the season proper when I will only be interested in our current listed players and how the team is traveling towards the ultimate success - move on Watts lovers.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

I laughed when I read this on the AFL website though:

Watts gives another genuine tall target who can beat his opponent one-on-one.

ummm I liked Jack when he was at Melbourne, but I think this is perhaps over-gilding the lilly

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I just watched the highlights.  He kicked some very nice goals, but I note that his traditional issues were still on show.  He still can't take a mark cleanly in his hands which will hurt him during the regular season and he got a couple of pretty soft frees as well.  Still, a good effort from him. 

Happy for Jack and note it was a practice game.

Interesting comment by Dermie when Jack was softly bumped away from a contest after he had 5 goals up. Dermie said " he has played a nice game today, but he should not have been bumped off the ball/line so easily, that is one of the reasons he is still not with the Dees".

PS. Worked out why we couldn't get pick 24 off the Cats for Jack, Tim Kelly. Also we got Fritsch for the Port pick we got for Jack. So everyone is happy.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Happy for Jack and note it was a practice game.

Interesting comment by Dermie when Jack was softly bumped away from a contest after he had 5 goals up. Dermie said " he has played a nice game today, but he should not have been bumped off the ball/line so easily, that is one of the reasons he is still not with the Dees".

PS. Worked out why we couldn't get pick 24 off the Cats for Jack, Tim Kelly. Also we got Fritsch for the Port pick we got for Jack. So everyone is happy.

Straight swap Watts,J. For Fritsch,B.

I can live with that. Bayley has racked up more hard ball gets in 2 practise games than Wattsy got in 9 years. 

Wattsy was a beautiful kick, the rest of his game never got past average. 

When he looks back at it all in 30 years he will agree. 

• Like 2

Pffft, Adelaide’s defence just weaker cos we got Lever.... don’t read too much into the performance. 

I’m more disappointed we don’t still have Dom Barry... he did look good.

Edited by Ouch!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn’t James Sellar kick 5 in a preseason win against Port in 2013 (a fortnight before they buried us and started that nightmare of a season)? You can never tell with pre-season. Not sure he’ll have it so easy when the real stuff starts and he had a tough one against the Eagles last week.

Edited by Goffer
  • Like 2

Yes, Jack, his effort (singular) has never been questioned, so said one of Fox's esteemed ex St Kilda / North /commentators/experts.

There goes another Umps new friends/ex Melbourne player that are now worthy of the o' so valuable free kick.........

5 hours ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

Can we have one Jack Watts thread? Then people who want to complain about trading him when he kicks a few can do so, and when he plays a stinker the same people can jump on and talk about how happy they are he left.

He's no longer a Dees player so couldn't care less what he does on an individual level. All I care about is how many wins we have.

The dilemma continues and many of us will nearly always feel a loss. It is difficult to dismiss Jack now that he has left the Club and many of us wish him well in the greater football world. Now it is time for us sympathisers to heal; Jack has. We must move on with focus on the current bank balance and its possibilities. The problem with being a MFC supporter is that we are loyal as hell, forced to be reminiscent, living histories of neglect and poor decision-making, and consequently unsuccessful at the level of which we dream. Let's do it this time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wish Jack all the best at Port. He was always a good player for us, and a loyal clubman too. The club treated him appalling at times and mismanaged him his whole career. From the get go he was thrown to the wolves, and never in AFL history has a player had so much unwarranted external pressure placed on them throughout their career. He was loyal to the end and we cast him out. Anyone who holds a grudge against him or wishes him ill is a f*cking fool. I don't think it was a bad trade to move him out, as it definitely shows where the club is heading and has now symbolically moved on all players born from that dark period in the clubs history. However, there should be no ill will against a guy who was loyal and was instead pushed out the door.

Best of luck with the rest of your career Jack. Do us a favour though and fluff a few of your usually perfect kicks when you play against us though please!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

It'll be great to see him play finals at Port if they are good enough. Watched the highlights of that and his skills were as good as ever.

The club has pretty much rid itself off that era apart from Jones (I don't count Gawn due to his injuries) so all we have to do is to look onwards and upwards and see what this team can achieve. 

It's simple - Watts fits Port's game style better than ours.

Classic win-win - he'll play better with Port (and they'll play better with him); we'll play better without him.

Should be an interesting GF! 

• Like 2