Welcome to Demonland: Bayley Fritsch

What

The whole team needs to learn to tackle. We’ve been out tackled all year. Fritsch glides one arm across the front of opposition players and then barely chases. Sure he’s great out the back and maybe people are right by saying it’s our ball movement. However tackling and harassing is an all team non negotiable and he’s not delivering. That’s on the coaches now as it’s been that way for sometime. 
We also need to learn to break tackles, according to me it all comes down to the tackle.

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

7 hours ago, RedLegs23 said:

Bailey Fritsch is an elite finisher around goal - but unfortunately that is all. 

Don’t be fooled by the aesthetics of his kicking style, because his field kicking & decision making is rubbish for a guy so talented. 

Doesn't chase or tackle with intent. No team first mentality & would rather do the miraculous highlight instead of what’s best for the team. 

Becoming increasingly frustrated with this bloke & it’s only because we all know what he could be if he improved on the above.

Agree with that and the challenge for the FD is to get him to improve in the other areas.

Trade him and you won’t get value and will lose goals.

He needs to improve his defensive game, tackling, pressure and field disposal. That can be done.

There is more to gain by improving his game, than trading him for under value.

Last night like in some other games he turned it over nearly every possession and his pressure was actually non existent.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Agree with that and the challenge for the FD is to get him to improve in the other areas.

He needs to improve his defensive game, tackling, pressure and field disposal. That can be done.

There is more to gain by improving his game, than trading him for under value.

Last night like in some other games he turned it over nearly every possession and his pressure was actually non existent.

Why wont you get value? I suggest he is one of few we should be seeing what his value is to the right team. We need to find ways to maintain our high pick and try and get another this year whilst bringing in other mature roles that may have upside for cost.  

Edited by Lil_red_fire_engine

7 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Spot on. Welcome aboard. 

It’s time to sell him off whilst he still has some value 

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

Agree with all and needs to be traded out, insipid efforts far too often!

IF his appearance of being UNinterested is not related to some sort of niggling injury then what would we get for him?   
One of my decades long queries - do we have a sports psychologist - may be very relevant here.  

2 hours ago, Roost it far said:

The whole team needs to learn to tackle. We’ve been out tackled all year. Fritsch glides one arm across the front of opposition players and then barely chases. Sure he’s great out the back and maybe people are right by saying it’s our ball movement. However tackling and harassing is an all team non negotiable and he’s not delivering. That’s on the coaches now as it’s been that way for sometime. 
We also need to learn to break tackles, according to me it all comes down to the tackle.

Does Max Viney have any official role in the club?   I know he has been doing grappling work with JV7 and others,  and AFLW, but could he help get our whole team to tackle, and break tackles better?

• Thanks 1

Fritsch is obviously a full forward only and needs the right set up to be a positive contributor. He is not going to change and learn to tackle or pass. But he is a good one on one mark and great kick for goal.

Some of his decision making up the field was very poor last night and he lacked effort.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, monoccular said:

One of my decades long queries - do we have a sports psychologist - may be very relevant here. 

Absolutely we do. Petracca spoke glowingly in his BnF acceptance speech last year of the work the team psychologist had done with him.

Edited by gs77
Typo
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gs77 said:

Absolutely we do. Petracca spoke glowingly in his BnF acceptance speech last year of the the team psychologist had done with him.

Can he/she put something together to fix the Collingwood issue? 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

To the folks that want to trade him, why would another team want him?

I’d have moved him on last year before the rest of the league caught on but he still has a very rare skillset as a goal kicker.

A team like Freo that are right in their window, have agile talls and lacking scoring might go for him. 

He is one who absolutely needs to be hit between the eyes during his exit interview. So many clips of efforts which are substandard and very much part of getting hurt on rebounds 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fr_ap said:

Not sure what's happened , but his back half of the season has been very poor - he's looked very low on confidence, disinterested in anything physical and just completely lacking verve and desire.

I have zero Intel, but strongly suspect something happened in his personal life that's thrown him for six. Partner, family, dog - reckon something's happened. 

Hasn't looked himself for 3 months 

Good observation upon his form.

Really dried up midway though the season.

He is a skilled player that thrives in space. One on one it a fwd line with lots of spare real estate he thrives and makes defenders very nervous 

And so quick to get ball upon boot.

I think towards the middle of the season our midfield slowed down and our entry fwd was slow, clumsy and methodical and therefore resulted in Fritta not being able to utilize his talents.

That said his last six to seven games have been well off. There were clear occasions where  he was injured or of not, then  evident that he could not be bothered chasing and or tackling opposition players in the slightest. 

And at that point, statistically speaking, we could still play finals 

Jvr and Kozzie despite spending more time in the middle scored the same number of goals for 24 as for 23.

Fritta went backwards.

But maybe our fwd inside 50 s were down because I know our midfield was or maybe it's as you infer...due to other issues.

He's a rare talent and I hope a good pre season sees him back to his lethal left foot best in 25.

I'm a big fan of his goal kicking. Beautiful set shot.

Some of his efforts in the back half of this season have been pathetic. Really pathetic. I'm very disappointed with what he's dished up recently.

he is a better prospect than taking pick 70 something in this years draft after you delist him if that was possible for example ... that's why he stays with mfc a little longer ... next year will be telling

Edited by Demons1858

Don't trade him. Just tell him he needs to work harder. If we had another tall key forward who would take the best defender each week fritta would be freed up.

But yes he definitely needs to work on his defensive game.  A bit of pressure wouldn't go astray. 

A month or two into the season he was leading the Coleman and then he scored that goal against the Cats

Feels like a looooong time ago now

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DubDee said:

To the folks that want to trade him, why would another team want him?

He'd destroy teams replacing Gunston for the Hawks

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Don't trade him. Just tell him he needs to work harder. If we had another tall key forward who would take the best defender each week fritta would be freed up.

But yes he definitely needs to work on his defensive game.  A bit of pressure wouldn't go astray. 

You don’t reckon they haven’t been telling him for years to work harder and lay a tackle?

A new forwards coach is a tiny reason for hope but largely if he hasn’t done it by now why would he at Melbourne?

He’s playing like a guy who wants to be traded, so we might as well do what he wants.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Fritsch would walk into the starting line-up of ever other club in the league. Any thoughts of trading him are ridiculous. In the absence of genuine key forward targets, he's been relied upon as our focal point for too long, which is an indictment on our list management. Bolster our forward line and he'll improve with it. He's genuine class that we can't afford to lose. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mickey said:

I wouldn't look to actively trade him, but I wonder if he'll take the decision out of our hands and request a trade.

Wonder no more. He won’t be requesting a trade. Not now. Not ever. If he leaves the MFC it will be because he’s been booted. 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, Redleg said:

6 goals in the last 6 weeks - I think we can afford to get rid of him. Does ZERO when it comes to keeping the ball in our fwd 50. 5 tackles in the last 8 weeks.

Not one single possession in the forward half last night and in the first 10 weeks he had something like 8 possessions in the collective first halves.

We are better off without him

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

6 goals in the last 6 weeks - I think we can afford to get rid of him. Does ZERO when it comes to keeping the ball in our fwd 50. 5 tackles in the last 8 weeks.

Not one single possession in the forward half last night and in the first 10 weeks he had something like 8 possessions in the collective first halves.

We are better off without him

He's in the top 5~ for goals kicked in the entire league in the last 4 years and kicked 6 in a Grand Final.

I know things are tough right now but [censored] me, some people seem to have a wish for us to end up like North or West Coast, or god forbid, Melbourne 2011-2013

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Seriously... We have a bad year and suddenly everyone is crud and needs to be traded.

I'll tell you this, fix the structure of the forward 6 where Fritta isn't the 4th tall and the midfield move the ball quickly and kick to a player and he will kick a lot of goals again. 

• Like 5