Trade rumours

Big T Mac

25 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

The only other club that I can think of that made at least as many mistakes as we did was......Richmond. 

You only make "mistakes" when your picks are regularly higher than everyone else.  You don't make mistakes in others eyes when your first picks are lower down

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

And the Premiers took Tambling over Buddy and Roughy. Yes all clubs make mistakes.

They're not mistakes at the time they occur. 

"Hindsight bias is the inclination, after an event has occurred, to see the event as having been predictable, despite there having been little or no objective basis for predicting it."

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Demon77 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFL_Trade_Guru/status/914708804633325568

I know it's nothing to do with us but didn't we want Mackay a few years back, not that I would take him now.

That's a far cry from wanting 2 1st round picks for Gibbs last year, when the Crows 1st rounder was a lot higher last year. This seems a fair trade.

14 minutes ago, bing181 said:

They're not mistakes at the time they occur. 

"Hindsight bias is the inclination, after an event has occurred, to see the event as having been predictable, despite there having been little or no objective basis for predicting it."

They are mistakes when most of the other recruiters say it is a mistake at the time and are proven correct.

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

If I remember rightly Sloane isn't our biggest fan after we jilted him at the draft for Jamie Bennell. 

Winner winner chicken dinner :rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

A little bit dramatic but i agree with you.

In saying that untradable and traded for the right price are very similar.

What i think @Roost It was saying is you're not going to trade Gawn for tippet as an example, but if you got offered say Lobb and Sheil you'd look at it. 

It's not likely but if an amazing offer came along. It's sensible is all I'm trying to say.

Yeah, but the trouble is, if you tell a player they're "not untradeable", what is that player going to tell their manager about how the end-of-season meeting with the coach went? Especially after the year that Hogan's had. Especially if up until now, the club has given him the impression that he IS untradeable.

And if you were that manager, and you continue to get speculative calls from the clubs in their home state, what might your advice to your player be?

It's probably nothing, but the door's been opened just a chink when there was absolutely no need to touch it.

Edited by Akum
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

They are mistakes when most of the other recruiters say it is a mistake at the time and are proven correct.

Which is the definition of hindsight bias, events being "proven correct" by subsequent events.

19 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFL_Trade_Guru/status/914708804633325568

I know it's nothing to do with us but didn't we want Mackay a few years back, not that I would take him now.

I used to go to school with Dave Mackay. Would go to the footy with him often. Was a hardcore dees fan. He's been a steady performer for them for a while now being a jack of all trades master of none. Not sure he has much value anymore for a new club.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Akum said:

Yeah, but the trouble is, if you tell a player they're "not untradeable", what is that player going to tell their manager about how the end-of-season meeting with the coach went? Especially after the year that Hogan's had. Especially if up until now, the club has given him the impression that he IS untradeable.

And if you were that manager, and you continue to get speculative calls from the clubs in their home state, what might your advice to your player be?

It's probably nothing, but the door's been opened just a chink when there was absolutely no need to open it.

No doubt i hear what you're saying.

But you or i don't know what's been said to the players, you're only speculating a negative situation.

And how is it any different to a player being disgruntled anyway and giing to his manager? What the general public don't realise is these discussions happen all the time,  like any employees performance review. Managers are always planning the next step or next contract or what's best for their client and will openly discuss with clubs.

Who had said Goodwin's said you're tradeable to anyone but Watts? 

I don't think what you've said is unreasonable it's just a little over the top.

Edited by Unleash Hell
Phone typing

6 minutes ago, mongrel said:

I used to go to school with Dave Mackay. Would go to the footy with him often. Was a hardcore dees fan. He's been a steady performer for them for a while now being a jack of all trades master of none. Not sure he has much value anymore for a new club.

I remember Chris Connolly speaking at a QLD Demons function back around 2011-12 and he stated they were hoping to eventually get Mackay and Prestia to our club because their families were Melbourne people. I enjoyed the thought back then.

Edited by Demon77

18 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

No doubt i hear what you're saying.

But you or i don't know what's been said to the players, you're only speculating a negative situation.

And how is it any different to a player being disgruntled anyway and giing to his manager? What the general public don't realise is these discussions happen all the time,  like any employees performance review. Managers are always planning the next step or next contract or what's best for their client and will openly discuss with clubs.

Who had said Goodwin's said you're tradeable to anyone but Watts? 

I don't think what you've said is unreasonable it's just a little over the top.

Not sure if you guys watch Ballers.

It is set in Miami against the background of NFL. Great show which contains a lot of "fictional" trade and team stories.

There are even websites run by player managers commenting upon the "reality" of each episode. UH's post above reminds me of some of the episodes.

Great show to watch during the trading season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

The guy missed a year with a bad back and we paid him

He had the year from hell this year and we have supported and paid him.

He apparently loves the club and the players.

He just signed a new contract last year and has two years to go.

Why would he meet Freo when he is contracted and a required player?

I don't believe it.

Players sign contracts and then for some strange reason they want to leave. Gibbs the same at Carlton. 

mcCarthy the same from GWS TO FREO. Regardless of any circumstances.

Just now, nosoupforme said:

Players sign contracts and then for some strange reason they want to leave. Gibbs the same at Carlton. 

mcCarthy the same from GWS TO FREO. Regardless of any circumstances.

Why sign brain  freeze.

Could have a midfield of D Martin, Wines and Sloane as well as Nic Nat, but it's all hindsight and means nothing in the real world.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nosoupforme said:

Why sign brain  freeze.

Not sure why im bothering 

Players sign to secure their immediate future.

Things change. Like any contract settlement can be reached by an agreement from of both parties.

• Like 2

I won't be surprised if Hogan leaves. Why would I be? I am a melbourne member and am used to these sorts of things. I will however be extremely sad. I am excited by the likes of him, trac, Brayshaw, Viney and others forming the nucleus of a side for a long time.

my odds of him leaving, 65%....

(hope I am wrong). 

Not sure which thread this belongs in:  http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbourne-demons-insist-jesse-hogan-is-a-required-player-for-2018-20171002-gysu4c.html

Most of it is old news/guesswork but we now have some time lines:

• Demons' football-department chief Josh Mahoney said on Monday Hogan was "very much a required player", and his relationship with coach Simon Goodwin "couldn't be any stronger"...Fairfax Media understands the Dockers have not ruled out making a play for Hogan, who they believe they may be open to a move.
  • Watts is set to declare his intentions at a TAB lunch on Tuesday.
  • The Demons are understood to have had interest in Harley Balic, the young Docker midfielder who has requested a trade home to Victoria.
  • It's understood forward Dean Kent, with a year to run on his contract, will clarify his future with the club this week.
  • Former Demons co-captain Jack Trengove...is expected to detail his plans on Tuesday. 

So the list picture will be clearer in a few days.

Really hope Jack T gets another gig.

Footnote - not sure why Goodwin/Mahoney keep repeating that Goodwin has a strong relationship with 'X' player...  If that is said too often some may come to doubt it...

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Not sure if you guys watch Ballers.

It is set in Miami against the background of NFL. Great show which contains a lot of "fictional" trade and team stories.

There are even websites run by player managers commenting upon the "reality" of each episode. UH's post above reminds me of some of the episodes.

Great show to watch during the trading season

Haven't seen, might have to check it out...

I'm just playing devils advocate with the very limited knowledge I have

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Good, he needs to after the year he has had.

He comes from WA his gone home to catch up with Family and friends.