Changes v Brisbane

jumbo returns

1 hour ago, Stinger said:

Roos was very much like that - in that if you weren't best 22 you weren't on his radar. 

Given the army of coaches in a modern AFL club that doesn't surprise me that the head coach focuses on the top players only. It sounds a sensible use of their time.

In the corporate world a team with 40 odd people wouldn't get regular significant interaction with the head honcho.

Edited by Lampers
  • Like 1

This game is an opportunity to find out if the club has learned from past mistakes, we can't take Brisbane lightly. 

Having said that, if there's doubt on Jack's foot I'd give him the week off. I'd hate to think that we're doing damage to a future champion of our club. He's incredible, he's tough, we know all this. But he is (as far as we are aware) still human. 

Casey also had a win on the weekend so there are players that can come in for him. 

4 minutes ago, Pates said:

Having said that, if there's doubt on Jack's foot I'd give him the week off.

And apart from anything else, save him for finals. Everyone's acting like just making it is enough.

• Like 1

Just finished watching the replay.

Wagner did some very good things with ball in hand. He deserves another crack, especially considering Salem is suspended this week.

Unless the coaches think that some players are need of a rest (such as Hannan against the Giants), I'd be happy with no changes.

• Like 2

I hope Brisbane come out attacking and have a crack. I'm confident we can get over the top of them easily. 

The bottom teams we have struggled against has been dour defensive games. 

1 hour ago, Dappa Dan said:

And apart from anything else, save him for finals. Everyone's acting like just making it is enough.

For me, our short term goal is to make the finals. What comes next is secondary. Therefor if he feels he's ok but the selection committee want to play our best available team then he plays. But if he's 50/50 according to the medico's then hold him for the Pies next week.

Everything about this week is saying we should smash the crap out of the Lions, but take them lightly and we could have another North Melbourne situation.

6 minutes ago, Pates said:

For me, our short term goal is to make the finals. What comes next is secondary. Therefor if he feels he's ok but the selection committee want to play our best available team then he plays. But if he's 50/50 according to the medico's then hold him for the Pies next week.

Everything about this week is saying we should smash the crap out of the Lions, but take them lightly and we could have another North Melbourne situation.

Yeah... Fair enough.

For me, I want to win a final. If we got in, came 7th and Tigers came 6th... what a day that would be.

I think that we may rest Viney for this game.

If so, them we will add four to the squad tomorrow and I think they will be Frost, Maynard, Stretch and Kennedy.

B: Michael Hibberd, Oscar McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB:Bernie Vince, Cameron Pedersen, Jayden Hunt
C: Billy Stretch, Clayton Oliver, Jordan Lewis
HF: Christian Petracca, Tom McDonald, Jake Melksham
F: Jeff Garlett, Mitch Hannan, Alex Neal-Bullen
FOLL: Max Gawn, Dom Tyson, Nathan Jones
I/C:Angus Brayshaw, Mitch Hannan, Josh Wagner, Sam Weideman
Corey Maynard, Billy Stretch, Jack Watts

IN: Angus Brayshaw, Mitch Hannan, Josh Wagner, Sam Weideman, Corey Maynard, Ben Kennedy, Sam Frost

• Shocked 1

I'd probably swap weid and watts and that's about it. 

We should be to strong all over the ground over four quarters but they are far from a bad team

I'd give Viney the week off, he's clearly playing sore and I'd like to think we should win this game without him.. Kennedy surely deserves a crack but going by Plapps Casey report it may be Stretch who comes in.

In: Stretch/Kennedy

Out: Viney 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I think you will find Weidemans primary role was to offer a contested pack situation and firstly bring the ball to ground. Watch the first quarter again with that in mind and you will see he gets to 6 seperate long ball contests and the ball comes to ground every time. Obviously it would be better if he marked them but not if that creates further risk that the opposition do rather than it coming to ground.

Finals usually see more long balls forward that create this. I cant recall Watts ever getting to 5 contest marking situations in a quarter let alone marking or splitting them. Watts may come back in and Weid may be dropped but the role Weid did on the weekend particularly early was a role that Watts is not adept at.

Well I was at Hobart on what was a disastrous day. I clearly recall Watts launching through a pack  in the middle of the ground and should have been given the mark  but of course wasn't given. The play I think resulted in a goal to us. A goal in the goal square to Hogan was created by Watts contesting and tapping it down through the three North defenders surrounding him almost on to Jesse boot.

He maybe didn't/doesn't get to five in a quarter but I don't reckon that makes him less effective. 

And "intensity"FFS I guess he showed no intensity running from backline to take that goal against Collingwood, oh and getting back to take the mark in the back line not long after.

Spare me Jack plays a different style of game than Viney. We need them both.

Goodwin played with plenty of players with different skill sets and attributes. As coach he needs to make sure they are all included as appropriate when needed. I reckon he is doing ok  despite the grief caused by the Hobart wind . The loss there was certainly not Jacks fault, apart from a short kick to Hogan which did not result in a score when he probably could have kicked with the wind from 55 and scored himself. Only Jack and Goodie know what he is or is not doing but we are unlikely to hear from either of them.

• Like 1

Viney cannot be rested IMO.  if he is injured then he shouldnt play

but if he is 80% right and there is no chance of further damage then he should play.  he sets the tone for us in preparation and attitude and we have much less chance of lacking intensity and blowing this chance 

1 hour ago, dpositive said:

Well I was at Hobart on what was a disastrous day. I clearly recall Watts launching through a pack  in the middle of the ground and should have been given the mark  but of course wasn't given. The play I think resulted in a goal to us. A goal in the goal square to Hogan was created by Watts contesting and tapping it down through the three North defenders surrounding him almost on to Jesse boot.

He maybe didn't/doesn't get to five in a quarter but I don't reckon that makes him less effective. 

And "intensity"FFS I guess he showed no intensity running from backline to take that goal against Collingwood, oh and getting back to take the mark in the back line not long after.

Spare me Jack plays a different style of game than Viney. We need them both.

Goodwin played with plenty of players with different skill sets and attributes. As coach he needs to make sure they are all included as appropriate when needed. I reckon he is doing ok  despite the grief caused by the Hobart wind . The loss there was certainly not Jacks fault, apart from a short kick to Hogan which did not result in a score when he probably could have kicked with the wind from 55 and scored himself. Only Jack and Goodie know what he is or is not doing but we are unlikely to hear from either of them.

The coaches don't agree with you. He clearly isn't doing the things they want him to.

This weeks selection is getting more nerve wracking by the day and could have plenty of implications. I'm leaning to the idea of Frost back in T-Mac up forward but not by a lot. 

If they decide to rest Viney I can deal with that. The guy has just got too much guts and teeth gritting ability, I would hate to think playing through it is causing potential future issues.

I don't blame anyone for floating the idea of Watts straight back in. Even at 70% of what he's capable of he can make a difference but honestly it doesn't feel quite right. Short term sacrifice, long term result (hopefully), the time has come to know where we stand with Jack.

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I know their season's done. But I wouldn't have thought we could pick any Collingwood players in our team.

(Apologies to all. I couldn't help myself.)

Zing...

21 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

The coaches don't agree with you. He clearly isn't doing the things they want him to.

No problem.

hence my comment that I reckon he's "doing ok" which was referenced to Goodwin , not Watts but maybe poorly expressed.

I'm happy to wait and see what the coach does and agree with him coz I have no fn idea and about as much as everyone else. 

My comment on intensity, skill sets etc displayed in Hobart and Collingwood viewed by me still apply,. Just trying to support our team and every player not make totally negative comments about one of our players. 

31 minutes ago, dpositive said:

No problem.

hence my comment that I reckon he's "doing ok" which was referenced to Goodwin , not Watts but maybe poorly expressed.

I'm happy to wait and see what the coach does and agree with him coz I have no fn idea and about as much as everyone else. 

My comment on intensity, skill sets etc displayed in Hobart and Collingwood viewed by me still apply,. Just trying to support our team and every player not make totally negative comments about one of our players. 

With you there, ready to back their selection judgement 100% on this one. Would hate to be in the hot seat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dpositive said:

No problem.

I think we all agree Watts' best is elite. He just seems to want to pick and choose when he brings it. The coaches have access to all the GPS stats so they know how hard he is working, if he is injured etc. They also know what he has been told to be work on in terms of competitiveness, instensity, role in the game etc.

They would be frustrated that a 150 game player has to be dropped again to get the message through.

Will depend if Wattsy is at training tomorrow or not I guess if he's in the mix. VFL squad normally wouldn't train the day before a game or perhaps only do something very light.

Shaping up to be one of the most interesting match selections this week. Really have no idea, and I reckon most were way off predicting the 4 being dropped last week.

10 hours ago, CHF said:

I think that we may rest Viney for this game.

If so, them we will add four to the squad tomorrow and I think they will be Frost, Maynard, Stretch and Kennedy.

B: Michael Hibberd, Oscar McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB:Bernie Vince, Cameron Pedersen, Jayden Hunt
C: Billy Stretch, Clayton Oliver, Jordan Lewis
HF: Christian Petracca, Tom McDonald, Jake Melksham
F: Jeff Garlett, Mitch Hannan, Alex Neal-Bullen
FOLL: Max Gawn, Dom Tyson, Nathan Jones
I/C:Angus Brayshaw, Mitch Hannan, Josh Wagner, Sam Weideman
Corey Maynard, Billy Stretch, Jack Watts

IN: Angus Brayshaw, Mitch Hannan, Josh Wagner, Sam Weideman, Corey Maynard, Ben Kennedy, Sam Frost

Dropped Harmes already too?