Jack Watts (again)

Redlagged

His after the game interview gave me the impression its a bit like polo, a bit like Gil !

6 hours ago, Redleg said:

Well it seems he is our leading score involvement player with Nibbler at 5 a game.

So maybe my statement wasn't "rubbish" after all.

Yeah it is. It's plain wrong. Sorry. It's a completely different stat.

12 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Yeah it is. It's plain wrong. Sorry. It's a completely different stat.

Well, IMO Watts is in our best 22 and should be in the side.

At least he can do what 20 of our players yesterday couldn't and that is pass the ball properly.

I thought our poor disposal was shown up once again, this time by the bottom side.

Also they showed us up for pace and work rate.

• Like 2

One of the shittiest reports I've seen. And let's be honest there have been some doozies of late. That umpire was all about me-time and should be relegated to the A-league. 

• Like 1

Plapp's VFL report:

Jack Watts: Jack had 20 possessions, including nine contested possessions, 11 marks, three clearances and kicked one goal. I thought he played a significant role on the weekend, particularly in the middle part of the game, where we needed to change some things up in the middle of the ground. He was able to play as a midfielder and give us some composure, plus some fierce ball movement, which opened up and gave us some scoring opportunities. That was a significant move in the day, which added real value in that part of the game. I was happy with his team-first attitude and engagement of VFL footy. He had a big influence on the game for us.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Plapp's VFL report:

Jack Watts: Jack had 20 possessions, including nine contested possessions, 11 marks, three clearances and kicked one goal. I thought he played a significant role on the weekend, particularly in the middle part of the game, where we needed to change some things up in the middle of the ground. He was able to play as a midfielder and give us some composure, plus some fierce ball movement, which opened up and gave us some scoring opportunities. That was a significant move in the day, which added real value in that part of the game. I was happy with his team-first attitude and engagement of VFL footy. He had a big influence on the game for us.

Welcome back, JW

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Nasher said:

If he's not back in this week then there's more to the story than we are being told. Nobody can seriously say with a straight face that we're better off with Wagner or Stretch in the team than Watts.

Maybe not, but Viney and Salem would be ahead of Watts to come in IMO, and Frost has played excellent AFL games this year. Watts is more so competing with Hannan, Harmes, Petracca and ANB IMO.

I would bring Watts in this week FWIW.

I think Watts has to come in for Wagner to play the roaming wing/HF/HB thing he's been playing. Watts is quicker, leads up better, has better skills, can register a score from 50 metres out and if switched on can lay just as many tackles. If not switched on he'll miss a few tackles but Wagner has been doing that too of late. Wattsy looked good in the VFL in trying conditions and his score involvements will really help against the pies.

I think Salem is better suited to the role Brayshaw, Lewis and Vince are playing off half back as he is not quick enough for the wing.

I think Watts is in this week for Wagner.

Jack Watts is exactly the player we need in the big games when it's coming down to the line. For the first time in his career, we're entering big game territory.

As Roos has said, there's no player in the team he wanted to have the ball more in his hand when the game was in the clinches than Jack Watts. He is calm under pressure, has brilliant vision, and is a terrific disposer of the ball. We need that player in the finals.

That said, I really don't know who he should replace. He doesn't seem a natural swap for Wagner. And Pedo is currently in AA form.

Will be interesting to see the team sheet later today.

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Jack Watts is exactly the player we need in the big games when it's coming down to the line. For the first time in his career, we're entering big game territory.

Depends really...... not so sure he will be able to handle the heat of a final be honest.

Glad to be proven wrong.

32 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

As Roos has said, there's no player in the team he wanted to have the ball in his hand when the game was in the clinches than Jack Watts. He is calm under pressure, has brilliant vision, and is a terrific disposer of the ball. We need that player in the finals.

That said, I really don't know who he should replace. He doesn't seem a natural swap for Wagner. And Pedo is currently in AA form.

Will be interesting to see the team sheet later today.

While I agree, "ball in hand", I disagree "ball in dispute". 

On Goodwin's contested ball mantra Jack's holding on by his fingertips. 

Will be interesting. 

Edited by PaulRB

42 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Depends really...... not so sure he will be able to handle the heat of a final be honest.

Glad to be proven wrong.

This year's Queen's Birthday game was the closest thing I have seen to a nail biting, heavily contested, final in recent years.

And Watts was just superb.

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Jack Watts might be fighting for a spot with Pedo but you play your best players. You wouldn't leave out Dunstall because you had Lockett.

Watts isn't competing with Pedersen, in the forward line he is competing with Hannan and Harmes but he will replace Stretch and play up the ground more.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Watts isn't competing with Pedersen.

Part of me wants to argue with you and part of me wants to agree.

Players have to be dynamic and flexible and should be able to play in multiple positions.

At the moment Pedo is playing a role similar to what I would expect Jack Watts maximum ouput to come from.

23 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Watts isn't competing with Pedersen, in the forward line he is competing with Hannan and Harmes but he will replace Stretch and play up the ground more.

You edited your post after I had already replied to it.