Trading Brayshaw?

Demonland

Would be a horrible trade. Opposition teams are thinking he'll come cheap, for a second or third rounder... And there is nothing there for us. Even if he went, and retired the next day, it's still a loss.

Only way we trade him is if he comes back and plays some good footy.

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

A first rounder for Gus. In a heartbeat. I like Gus but you have to keep the list turning over to get quality.

It's not polite parlour talk is it :unsure:

Lists do churn, It's a reality. Someone offering that would need a consideration. What's good for all involved ? I'll leave to the club. I do wonder if we'll ever see the best of Gus. I hope so.

Footy's footy though !!

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

A first rounder for Gus. In a heartbeat. I like Gus but you have to keep the list turning over to get quality.

It's not like he is 26 or 27. Gus is 21 years old?

It depends what type of first rounder you were offered.

If it was a pick inside the top 5 then you would have to look at it. Anything outside of that then I'd be wary of doing the trade.

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Hmmm, pick 18 for Gus in a heartbeat.  Really?

Gus is a pick 3 talent who is in his third year and has suffered concussion issues.  Unless his concussion issues dramatically reduce his value (and lets for the moment assume they don't) he is just as valuable now if not more so than when we drafted him.

Firstly he has demonstrated he can play good AFL football (we know all too well that early picks, even the first 3, can fail).  His first year was very impressive.  Secondly he has now got (3) preseasons under his belt, his body has matured and he's a lot closer to producing quality football than a first round draft pick. We've added significant IP and body development to him - why would we sell him for less than we paid?

Roos and Hawthorn have shown that first rounders - particularly later ones - are very overrated.  If Brayshaw is traded it won't be for a draft pick it will be for a player we want and who is more value to us than Brayshaw.  And Brayshaw's good so we are talking a quality footballer.

If his concussion issues are a significant deterrent to others the selling price won't compensate us and he'll stay.  I like him but if he was part of a trade that got us closer to a flag I'd deal.  It has to be someone of Whitfield or Kelly's ilk, anything less is just nonsense. 

• Like 9

Anyone really taking this article seriously. He's done the exact same for each club so far - pick 1 player who' - injured, not reached potential or there's talk of them leaving, then over inflate their price.

Next say the club needs, JJ, Kelly, Whitfield, Pittard or Z.Jones. Simple. Poor old Buckers is living off the 'I put the Hawks list together' thing these days, but has been in club land (VFL) for the last few years and those teams have been horrible.

• Like 2

If he hasn't played a senior game by end of this year he'd be worth little in a trade. Has more up side atm so my view would be keep.

Cannot see any team offering a first rounder for him unless he has a few blinders this year in the seniors

Should he suffer another concussion the decision might be taken out of his hands.

• Like 1

What was Richmond prepared to give for Trenners ? :unsure:

5 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

What was Richmond prepared to give for Trenners ? :unsure:

Pick 12

"After playing the first two rounds of the 2014 season, Trengove missed the remainder of the season due to problems and a break in his navicular bone.[47] During the trade period, the Herald Sun reported that he was linked to Richmond in exchange for pick twelve in the 2014 national draft.[48] He was reluctant to the trade and expressed his desire to stay at Melbourne, but stated that he would not block the move if it was fulfilled.[49] The trade was set to be finalised, but a medical report was requested by Richmond, where it was discovered that he had reinjured his navicular bone, "

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Thanks D_J.   (Shh i knew) 

Twas just a nudge to some to realise strange things happen.

My view is more devils advocate ;)

Id like to see Gus realise his talent at Melbourne. Am also happy for the FD to do it's stuff.

• Like 2

Why do we get invested emotionally in some players and not others, or is it more about some individual supporters inherently like fairness, equality and people to have a fair go? 

I suspect the same people who want Brayshaw to stay also have a love for JKH (myself included)... Personally I was upset Craig Smoker was delisted...

• Like 1

I wouldn't trade brayshaw, even for a first rounder. The kids a freak and if the club thinks he's a good chance to recover and play again, id really prefer to keep him at the club

• Like 2

What was is Dickens once wrote ...:rolleyes:

IF he makes a good recovery he will be a very valuable player for us:  if not he will have no trade value anyway.  So this is surely just a 'non story' or as POTUS would say, 'fake news'!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

What was is Dickens once wrote ...:rolleyes:

Dickins wrote quite a bit, I hear, though I don't remember hearing anything about footy.

• Like 1

Just now, monoccular said:

Dickins wrote quite a bit, I hear, though I don't remember hearing anything about footy.

Never say never :)

3 minutes ago, monoccular said:

IF he makes a good recovery he will be a very valuable player for us:  if not he will have no trade value anyway.  So this is surely just a 'non story' or as POTUS would say, 'fake news'!

You'd think so. 

I'm actually seeing a lot of parallels to Brayshaw with Salem. Salem had some very promising games early in his career including the clutch goal vs Essendon but then got injuries and external medical issues that were proving difficult for him and the club to manage.

But we got there and now he's proving to be a very valuable player off half back and all the difficulties he endured are paying dividends. There were even calls on here to use him as trade bait. 

Brayshaw is going through a difficult period in his life, we've supported him this far and as someone else said to put him up as trade bait will only put further pressure on the bloke. 

We were patient with Salem, let's be patient with Gus. 

• Like 7

Pates.. that could be exactly how other clubs view him.

Hawks thought a lot of Jaeger !!

Value in the eye of the beholder