Demon Injuries 2017 season

dazzledavey36

... on top of that I think there is the issue of him regaining the confidence to put his head back over the ball, which I am pretty sure I saw reported a while back as being a bit of a problem.

46 minutes ago, Nasher said:

That's a harsh way of putting it, but it does sound like it's mostly mental barriers in the way. Perfectly understandable ones, in my opinion.

1. I don't think it's harsh.

2. I didn't say it wasn't understandable.

21 minutes ago, ProDee said:

1. I don't think it's harsh.

2. I didn't say it wasn't understandable.

I'm aware that subtlety is not your thing, but "gun shy" reads with negative connotations. It sounds like our view is pretty much the same.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I'm aware that subtlety is not your thing, but "gun shy" reads with negative connotations. It sounds like our view is pretty much the same.

I think he is "apprehensive" about taking the field again.  I don't think the term was harsh, instead accurate.

Next time I'll preface my remarks for the sensitive.

gun-shy
adjective
adjective: gunshy
  1. (especially of a hunting dog) alarmed at the firing of a gun.
    • (of a person) nervous and apprehensive.
      "she's still gun-shy about new relationships"

10 minutes ago, ProDee said:
I think he is "apprehensive" about taking the field again.  I don't think the term was harsh, instead accurate.

Next time I'll preface my remarks for the sensitive.

gun-shy
adjective
adjective: gunshy
  1. (especially of a hunting dog) alarmed at the firing of a gun.
    • (of a person) nervous and apprehensive.
      "she's still gun-shy about new relationships"

There's no need to be a dick about it. I already said in the post you quoted that I agree with your clarified view.

If I ever used the word "gun shy", it would have been how I'd described 2006-2012 era Lynden Dunn for example, or Cam Pedersen's first season with us. That's how I initially interpreted your comments, and you added nothing else to lead me to any alternative interpretation. That's not what you meant - fine. Got it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nasher said:

There's no need to be a dick about it. If I ever used the word "gun shy", it would have been how I'd described 2006-2012 era Lynden Dunn for example, or Cam Pedersen's first season with us. That's how I interpreted your comments, and you added nothing else to lead me to any alternative interpretation. That's not what you meant - fine. Got it.

I'm at a loss to understand how you could have misinterpreted a comment that was obviously (or so I thought) referencing the mental demons a player would be encountering due to multiple concussions.  Everything out of the club (including Misson) insinuates there's a degree of apprehension from the player, i.e. "Gus will take the field again when he's ready and won't be rushed".  It's obvious he's nervous and he even said as much in an interview prior to his most recent concussion when I remember him saying it was affecting how he attacked contests.

I've always been a fan of Brayshaw (still am), and am bemused that you'd reference my comment as a Lynden Dunn style whack, although he (Dunn) has improved that aspect of his game over the journey.

The normal (uninjured) Brayshaw's attack on the contest was as brave and as good as you'd see on a teenager.  Unfortunately, the concussions have affected this aspect of his game - even prior to the most recent couple of concussions.

Edited by ProDee

36 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

I wonder if Nev is working with angus.  From memory he had a shocking run with concussion about 4 years ago.

If I recall correctly, Nev was on the verge of retiring when Paul Roos took him under his wing, and showed some confidence in him.  Well done all concerned.

Hopefully the club can achieve the same sorts of results with Gus, who is a seriously talented young man.

17 hours ago, JTR said:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-06-29/saint-great-helps-brayshaw-in-comeback

General manager of football operations Josh Mahoney said the club wouldn’t rush Brayshaw’s return to the game, but it remained optimistic about his progress. 

“Angus will be in full training early next week. All things going well, he’ll need a couple of weeks of full training and then hopefully he’ll be available to play – all things going well in that time,” he said.

Brayshaw said he was progressing “slowly but surely, but tracking upwards” after being sidelined for the past six weeks. The talented and likeable youngster said it had been a steady recover and was optimistic about returning soon.  

“Hopefully there’s not too much left of it, but I’m going along quite nicely at the moment,” he said.

“The next step for me is to join full training with the team – that will happen sometime next week, and then it’s two to three weeks of training with the group.

“If all of that goes smoothly, then I’ll think about playing, but it’s hard to put specific numbers on everything and give an estimate of how far away I am.”

Thanks, lets hope things start to turn around for young Gus?

7 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Anyone who follows Watts on instagram find it strange that he appears to be posting videos from Queensland or Bali (hard to tell) where he appears to be doing work on his boardshorts label. .has he taken some leave while injured 

I doubt it, he was at MSAC until 6pm last night for the kids clinic. 

On 05/07/2017 at 4:21 PM, Leoncelli_36 said:

Anyone who follows Watts on instagram find it strange that he appears to be posting videos from Queensland or Bali (hard to tell) where he appears to be doing work on his boardshorts label. .has he taken some leave while injured 

Seems you were spot on, the wife just pointed out that instagram has Watts in Byron Bay a day ago.

Yes he was in Byron for 24 hours, supposedly for a shoot for his boardies. I don't mind, but given his injury and the importance of getting right, I think it's unusual. Please don't think I am saying that footy players shouldn't have a life outside of football, I am all for it..but right now, his focus should be rehab. I would have thought sitting cramped up in a plane seat at altitude isn't on the doctors advice. 

Edited by Leoncelli_36

26 minutes ago, demonstone said:

I heard that Jack walked all the way to Byron, and not on land either.

Nope, he flew there and back. And his arms weren't even tired.

4 hours ago, Devil is in the Detail said:

Based on what??

On 05/07/2017 at 11:02 AM, bandicoot said:

My guess is that you are a *%#^

Based on the fact that foot injuries are notoriously slow to heal and he's too valuable and too young to risk at this stage of his career. So you can guess whatever you like.

Edited by Roost It

Dom Tyson and Jack Watts face fitness tests for selection this week with the former more likely to return. I could have sworn that Jack came off at 3/4 time against the Bulldogs as a precaution with a bit of hamstring tightness.

Nathan Jones is still 3-4 weeks away with his groin and Jack Viney has 2 - 3 weeks to go to recover from that plantar fascia injury.

Melbourne injury list: round 17

Angus Brayshaw (concussion) – 2-3 weeks
Lochie Filipovic (hip flexor) – 3-4 weeks
Colin Garland (knee) – season
Nathan Jones (quadriceps) – 3-4 weeks
Pat McKenna (hamstring) – 4-6 weeks
Christian Salem (hamstring) – 2-3 weeks
Tim Smith (navicular bone) – season
Dom Tyson (knee) – test
Aaron vandenBerg (heel) – season
Jack Viney (plantar fascia) – 2-3 weeks
Jack Watts (hamstring) – test

4 minutes ago, Chelly said:

Dom Tyson and Jack Watts face fitness tests for selection this week with the former more likely to return. I could have sworn that Jack came off at 3/4 time against the Bulldogs as a precaution with a bit of hamstring tightness.

Nathan Jones is still 3-4 weeks away with his groin and Jack Viney has 2 - 3 weeks to go to recover from that plantar fascia injury.

Watts won't play this week. Tyson 50/50.

Viney a chance to come back for the north game and jones against GWS 

salem might be back against port

• Like 1