Oscar McInerney

RalphiusMaximus

I haven't seen many Casey games this year but the kid looked pretty good today.  He has good pace and pretty decent skills.  Good hands below the knees too. 

He's 22 and 203cm. 

To me he looks like he needs to build a bit more muscle, but he has some tools there.  Definite Rookie potential. 

http://www.scorpions.com.au/the-club/players/980-25-oscar-mcinerney.html

• Like 1

He was good.  At first he was all at sea in the ruck but as the game wore on he got into a groove and got first hand on.  Took some nice marks and he's a decent kick which is not often the case with 200+.  Also showed that nice below the knees action.  I'm pretty keen on that showing, late ND pick.

• Like 1

Disagree on all counts.

At 22, he is built like a string bean and has very little aggression which is always a concern if you're a big guy and frankly he didn't really impress me at all yesterday. (That's not to say he won't improve).

I can't see how the club would be after a guy like him with we have two under-developed ruckmen on the list already.

We are after someone who has a fully developed body, who would offer more versatility than Spencer and who would potentially be able to play in tandem with Max.

We definitely do not not need another young, underdeveloped, project player Ruckman.

He got a mention in The Age write up about Casey win. Can't find the link, sorry. They mentioned his development over the year and indicated he might be on the radar of a few clubs.

As we've seen with Max and previously with Stef Martin, ruckmen don't usually hit their peak until around 25.

Edited by Moonshadow

On 19 September 2016 at 11:39 AM, Moonshadow said:

He got a mention in The Age write up about Casey win. Can't find the link, sorry. They mentioned his development over the year and indicated he might be on the radar of a few clubs.

As we've seen with Max and previously with Stef Martin, ruckmen don't usually hit their peak until around 25.

Max always looked good, just didn't get the opportunity early on...injury was a problem and also the FD we had at the time tried to make him into a forward and were playing Spencer ahead of him in the ruck.

I remember seeing him in a Casey game when Scully was playing. Tommy Mac and Howe were playing & yet to debut in the AFL. 

Max had the ruck role and won the day against Ben Hudson.

The point is Max was streets ahead of where Mcinnerney is now.

• Like 3

I thought McInerney looked hopeless.

22!!! I thought he must have been 19.      

IHe did take one good mark and goal, but otherwise looked slow and unco.

I'm a Spencer fan as a back-up to Max, but he disappointed me against that short fat Willy ruckman on Sunday.

I'm sure I'll see more from Spencil this Sunday.

2 hours ago, rjay said:

Max always looked good, just didn't get the opportunity early on...injury was a problem and also the FD we had at the time tried to make him into a forward and were playing Spencer ahead of him in the ruck.

I remember seeing him in a Casey game when Scully was playing. Tommy Mac and Howe were playing & yet to debut in the AFL. 

Max had the ruck role and won the day against Ben Hudson.

The point is Max was streets ahead of where Mcinnerney is now.

Sure. But my point is that big men take time.

I don't know if McInerney will succeed, he's coming from a long way back, but he has shown good improvement this year. The club would know him inside out given he's at Casey, so they would know of his potential.

28 minutes ago, Abe said:

Ruckman, capable of going forward and taking big contested marks are like gold, he'll get picked up for sure imo

Agreed, and if we were to trade Spencer out then I think we'll be right in the mix.

9 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Sure. But my point is that big men take time.

I don't know if McInerney will succeed he's coming from a long way back, but he has shown good improvement this year. The club would know him inside out given he's at Casey, so they would know of his potential.

Don't spoil it  Moonie, I agree he looks ok, but most want Spencer out of the club so have decided we need a ruckman forward, seen too many that look like a million dollars in the VFL and then just can't make the transiition. Think Plapp will have most input if we decide we want to make a play for him, but assume with his showing in last couple of weeks we won't be only ones interested, if in fact we are

8 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Don't spoil it  Moonie, I agree he looks ok, but most want Spencer out of the club so have decided we need a ruckman forward, seen too many that look like a million dollars in the VFL and then just can't make the transiition. Think Plapp will have most input if we decide we want to make a play for him, but assume with his showing in last couple of weeks we won't be only ones interested, if in fact we are

Not sure this is the case Saty, i think most appreciate that Gawn needs some help, and we need that help to be able to play forward while the AA ruckman is doing his thing, i think most are suggesting we look at Josh Jenkins type player rather than moving on Spencer.

For what it's worth i think Jake is a more than handy backup ruckman and i'd be definitely hanging onto him unless he decides to chase better opportunities elsewhere, but i do think we need another backup ruckman capable at AFL level, wouldn't mind looking at someone like Minson for a year while the younger guys develop a little more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

No, we want player upgrades.

Which means the sooner Spencer moves on, the better. It'll be a sign of talent and depth improvement, just has been the case since the departure of McKenzie, Bail, Nicholson etc etc.

Most obviously he is still on the list because we literally have nobody else.

And no, neither King is anywhere near ready.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

No, we want player upgrades.

Which means the sooner Spencer moves on, the better. It'll be a sign of talent and depth improvement, just has been the case since the departure of McKenzie, Bail, Nicholson etc etc.

Most obviously he is still on the list because we literally have nobody else.

And no, neither King is anywhere near ready.

Agree, bur Spencer is unfairly maligned on here, never let the team down when given the opportunity

But if we are going down that path, not sure a VFL ruckman is the  'instant' answer, and there is not much out there, in my opinion

Some have mentioned Minson, he is playing VFL for a reason, we will see how he goes against Pencil and McInerny this weekend

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Agree, bur Spencer is unfairly maligned on here, never let the team down when given the opportunity

But if we are going down that path, not sure a VFL ruckman is the  'instant' answer, and there is not much out there, in my opinion

Some have mentioned Minson, he is playing VFL for a reason, we will see how he goes against Pencil and McInerny this weekend

If by unfairly maligned you mean he's judged as nothing more than a VFL standard backup ruckman because that's exactly what he is? 

if he were traded or delisted i doubt many would lose any sleep over it.

5 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Maybe you could conduct a poll on here before coming out with such unqualified garbage. You don't speak for us. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jeck wartz said:

if he were traded or delisted i doubt many would lose any sleep over it.

This Moonie, or is this not garbage as well?

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Maybe you could conduct a poll on here before coming out with such unqualified garbage. You don't speak for us. 

Qualified - most - a large number, why a poll   or should I have put many?

I haven't got the wherewithal to speak for some on here  or have I, it was my opinion chap

Edited by Satyriconhome

7 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

This Moonie, or is this not garbage as well?

Qualified - most - a large number, why a poll   or should I have put many?

I haven't got the wherewithal to speak for some on here  or have I, it was my opinion chap

Both garbage posts. 

When you claim to speak for "most" on Land it's not your opinion chap, it's a lie.

God forbid Maxy going down but if the unthinkable happened and we didn't have Spencer as a back up things might just get a bit ugly. 

As for McInerney the times I've seen him playing for Casey this year he looks like he might be a handy VFL player but not thinking he can step up to AFL. Just my thoughts on what I've seen this year.