Nominations for the new Richmond Board

pineapple dee

In fighting within the boardroom, inept footy department, terrible recruiting, changing coaches for the sake of it and administration getting too close to the footy dept.  Sound familiar? Change for change sake does not always work and often leads to worse problems, leading to being put into involuntary 'administration'.

Some people never learn from history.  As the old line goes,  be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

But I have to say I am chuckling on the inside about the Toigs predicament.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Choke said:

Also:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-board-challenge-group-pushes-for-spill-at-tigers-20160904-gr8q66.html

" Hiscock says that the challengers would like Damien Hardwick to stay on as coach, but changes must be made going forward. "

So even when they get their [censored] together to oust the board, they're still delusional enough to want to keep Spudwick?

I can only imagine it's for cost reasons. Whoever approved that contract extension needs to get the arse.

Hiscock also said the game plan has to change. Sounds like the only reason Hardwick is staying on is because two years left on his contract would be too costly to payout.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 4

Ironically the plan is to weaken the only part of their operation that is being proactive and successful.

Off field they're kicking lots of goals with membership numbers that we could only dream of.

The admimistration is not lacking, it's a lack of decent players that's going to hold them back for years.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, joeboy said:

Ironically the plan is to weaken the only part of their operation that is being proactive and successful.

Off field they're kicking lots of goals with membership numbers that we could only dream of.

The admimistration is not lacking, it's a lack of decent players that's going to hold them back for years.

Ahhhhhhh but Prestia and Cloke will change this..

40 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Thanks Pineapple for a good thread.

Nothing like wallowing in another's misery.

True Bitter. We've worn the crown of thorns for long enough.
I've thought of a couple of more candidates for the new board,

Ben Cousins and Dusty's dad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Ahhhhhhh but Prestia and Cloke will change this..

That says lots IMO why on Earth would Richmond take on Cloke?

The guy is over the hill and I am not sure what the Dogs see in him for that matter.

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

Disagree, very bad Karma to make comments like this. Be careful what you wish for. Coming from decades of despair, I feel sorry for the true Tiger supporters. I don't know why people should get such pleasure out of the miseries of others. They are a true blue footy club with a rich history and culture and real supporters unlike many of the franchised or new clubs that have been created out of the ether. Go Tiges. 

Sorry mate, didn't get any sympathy from the ones I know during the past 10 years or so. I think we need to get some rivalry going not be friends with our rivals.

Edited by Deevolution
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Hiscock also said the game plan has to change. Sounds like the only reason Hardwick is staying on is because two years left on his contract would be too costly.

Or alternatively... they know it's time to blow it all up and re-build.
Why destroy the career of a young up & coming coach by putting him in a no-win situation (Leppitsch/Primus style) when you have a dud in place to steer the ship?
Get some talent in, turn the list over, then jettison Hardwick.

• Like 4

I reckon we should all stay very quiet at this stage, we're only 1/2 way through our rebuild, hardly time for us to be getting gleeful at others expense... Many teams I'd prefer to implode before the Tigers. Eg. Hawks, Cats, Blues, Dons, GWS, ...

• Like 4

I don't get the point of this spill.  A new board wants to take over but they don't want to change anything.  same coach, same CEO, same general manager of football. 

the only new position proposed is a CEO of football.

the whole things just seems like an ego grab for those pushing this

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hellfish said:

I don't get the point of this spill.  A new board wants to take over but they don't want to change anything.  same coach, same CEO, same general manager of football. 

Until they get in Hellfish and then it will be like incoming pollies.

WOW we did not realise things were so bad.

We will have to forget all the promises as urgent action is needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

Until they get in Hellfish and then it will be like incoming pollies.

WOW we did not realise things were so bad.

We will have to forget all the promises as urgent action is needed.

They have nothing to get in on though 'old dee'...I couldn't see anyone, even Richmond supporters voting this mob in.

The only thing they are spruiking is "we might get Balmy"...

Now I think Balmy is a pretty intelligent man and I couldn't see him going with a board who want to make him CEO of football reporting directly to them. Surely you only have one boss, he should be reporting to the CEO (Gale at present).

Go for it though Tiges, 2 bosses...and a board who want to tell the coach how to coach. What could go wrong?

Yep, that's going to work.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rjay said:

They have nothing to get in on though 'old dee'...I couldn't see anyone, even Richmond supporters voting this mob in.

The only thing they are spruiking is "we might get Balmy"...

Now I think Balmy is a pretty intelligent man and I couldn't see him going with a board who want to make him CEO of football reporting directly to them. Surely you only have one boss, he should be reporting to the CEO (Gale at present).

Go for it though Tiges, 2 bosses...and a board who want to tell the coach how to coach. What could go wrong?

Yep, that's going to work.

I have a few good friends who are Tiger members and there is a fair amount of " you have had your chance time to give someone else a go" about rjay.

That might be all they need to do.

3 hours ago, hemingway said:

Actually, I think some of our own past Board members would be suitable for RFC. We also have a past CEO that is available. 

Seriously, I have always wondered what Board's do and what they contribute. Do they make any real difference? I suspect not.

Could Paul Roos and his coaching staff and Peter Jackson and his admin team have run the club this year without a Board. In times past, did the Board (other than when sacking coaches) make any real difference? They provide a sounding board and allow the CEO in particular to get approval for any initiatives. Yes, they oversee the running of the club and provide a back stop in the case of a corrupt or incompetent CEO but that's about it.  

It seems you can have a dysfunctional board or one of puppets or "yes" men or women. Naturally you need a wise and energetic President, good Coach and coaching staff, and great players but you do wonder what Boards bring to the mix. I think that some rank and file supporters on the Board would contribute as much as anyone. 

A good board is rarely heard from but provides the strategic direction to the whole club. A board also oversees the entire governance structure of the club, which is invaluable. Not to mention the legal responsibilities they take on board which should put a stop to any underhanded dealings or illegal activities at the club. 

A good CEO can run a club without a board, to a point, but their job is so much easier with a strong united board backing them up, conversely their job is near impossible with a rabble of a board behind them or a board who will not challenge them or hold them to their word (a bunch of yes men on the board). 

Thankfully at the minute I think we have a good board who are united with the senior management at the club and things are now moving forward. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hellfish said:

It's Punt Road. They do it so much better than anyone else. 

Why does everyone rate Gale so highly? How does he escape criticism?
What was a promising build a few years ago, has now all gone sour on under his tenure.
He is the man who should ensuring Hardwick has an efficient football dept structured to match best practice, with competent support staff.

At the very least, he is responsible for the off-field, which includes being in the bottom bracket for value of sponsorship contracts - all despite a large following and high profile.

Just now, Mach5 said:

Why does everyone rate Gale so highly? How does he escape criticism?
What was a promising build a few years ago, has now all gone sour on under his tenure.
He is the man who should ensuring Hardwick has an efficient football dept structured to match best practice, with competent support staff.

At the very least, he is responsible for the off-field, which includes being in the bottom bracket for value of sponsorship contracts - all despite a large following and high profile.

How do you know this Mach5?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

A good board is rarely heard from but provides the strategic direction to the whole club. A board also oversees the entire governance structure of the club, which is invaluable. Not to mention the legal responsibilities they take on board which should put a stop to any underhanded dealings or illegal activities at the club. 

A good CEO can run a club without a board, to a point, but their job is so much easier with a strong united board backing them up, conversely their job is near impossible with a rabble of a board behind them or a board who will not challenge them or hold them to their word (a bunch of yes men on the board). 

Thankfully at the minute I think we have a good board who are united with the senior management at the club and things are now moving forward. 

Chris you never disappoint. A serious and considered response. You rose to my bait but did so splendidly and provided a very excellent summary of the role of a Board. 

• Like 1