Michael Barlow

Dr. Gonzo

• 1 month later...

I still think Barlow is a bargain pick up for whoever gets him. In 2016 he was ranked 48th in the AFL for Supercoach points per game, 54th in the AFL for average possessions per game and 23rd in the AFL for average tackles per game. He is also only 28 years old (turning 29 in December).

While we are already over stacked with inside midfielders, I would be in favour of us trading out Neal-Bullen for a late draft pick/pick upgrade and then picking up Barlow.

7 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

I still think Barlow is a bargain pick up for whoever gets him. In 2016 he was ranked 48th in the AFL for Supercoach points per game, 54th in the AFL for average possessions per game and 23rd in the AFL for average tackles per game. He is also only 28 years old (turning 29 in December).

While we are already over stacked with inside midfielders, I would be in favour of us trading out Neal-Bullen for a late draft pick/pick upgrade and then picking up Barlow.

Looks like Freo might be happy to get rid of him very cheaply and may even de-list him. Now we've got next to no draft picks, I wouldn't be adverse to getting him in, as long as he's not asking for a heap of money and is happy to come in for pick 70 or whatever we've got. 

I think we have our balance of mids about right now.

The only type I would consider would be a speedy outside type.

That and a Forward/Ruck would complete us going into 2017

2 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

No need. Would rather put another year into Nibbler.

Our need is with the ruck, key backs & outside speed. Barlow addresses none of these things.

I agree, it's just sometimes hard to pass up a guy who can get 40 touches if we could get him very cheaply. If we didn't get Lewis then I'd hope we would have been all over him. 

21 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Looks like Freo might be happy to get rid of him very cheaply and may even de-list him. Now we've got next to no draft picks, I wouldn't be adverse to getting him in, as long as he's not asking for a heap of money and is happy to come in for pick 70 or whatever we've got. 

^ This. We need to use 3 picks and we are at the back end of the draft. Grab the best ruck prospect with our first pick in the 50s, upgrade Wagner then take Barlow with our last pick.

I agree that we need the best ruck prospect we can get out hands on. Personally I look at like as if we had the option of choosing between him or one of our depth midfielders, say along the lines of Michie, who would you want on your list. I'd pick Barlow every time especially if he comes cheap.

1 hour ago, Hutch said:

I agree that we need the best ruck prospect we can get out hands on. Personally I look at like as if we had the option of choosing between him or one of our depth midfielders, say along the lines of Michie, who would you want on your list. I'd pick Barlow every time especially if he comes cheap.

If there are only crap ruckman left we certainly do not want to pick the best one available. We still end up with a crap ruckman. We still have Spencer and believe that King will develop into a good back up but he will take time. Until that occurs if a better ruckman than Spencer can be targeted, who is happy to play second fiddle to Gawn then we pick him. That may take a year or two but we don't trade for an incompetent in the interim.

11 hours ago, Tram 74 said:

If there are only crap ruckman left we certainly do not want to pick the best one available. We still end up with a crap ruckman. We still have Spencer and believe that King will develop into a good back up but he will take time. Until that occurs if a better ruckman than Spencer can be targeted, who is happy to play second fiddle to Gawn then we pick him. That may take a year or two but we don't trade for an incompetent in the interim.

That does make sense and it depends what's available at our selections, but it doesn't answer the question about Barlow

Delisted today not sure if we would be keen as a free agent, we are stocked with mids 

I was thinking maybe before Lewis but now i think we have nice mix in the midfield of experience (Jones, Vince, Lewis ) and youth (Viney, Oliver Petracca, Tyson)

• Like 2

I was thinking maybe before Lewis but now i think we have nice mix in the midfield of experience (Jones, Vince, Lewis ) and youth (Viney, Oliver Petracca, Tyson)

Agreed if we didn't have Lewis we would be having a look, as you said it's a good mix now 

I can't believe it's got this far.

He's still got a lot to offer at AFL level and to get him as a delisted free agent would be a huge coup.

If we use picks 47 and 69, then upgrade a rookie- it's basically taking Barlow instead of using pick 81.

The only issue being I think there's currently 3 spots available on the senior list and am unsure if anyone still on the list is out of contract.

Even if it meant delisting a player then rookie listing them- it would still be a massive win.

• Like 2

I can't believe it's got this far.

He's still got a lot to offer at AFL level and to get him as a delisted free agent would be a huge coup.

If we use picks 47 and 69, then upgrade a rookie- it's basically taking Barlow instead of using pick 81.

The only issue being I think there's currently 3 spots available on the senior list and am unsure if anyone still on the list is out of contract.

Even if it meant delisting a player then rookie listing them- it would still be a massive win.

I think there's greater value to be found in further developing our young mids.

Adding Barlow on top of Jones, Lewis, Vince and to a lesser degree Melksham and Hibberd, would be overkill and potentially tip the age profile into 'older' territory.

We have to remember that our youngsters are very talented and we're putting games into them 'together' in order to win flags.

It's a no, from me.

• Like 1