CASEY SCORPIONS v WERRIBEE

KC from Casey

2 hours ago, DemonDave said:

Super win today given we were missing most of our usual tall forward targets from this year in Weed, Hulett and Kielty,and I didnt hear Tim Smiths name called, did he play today?

An unfortunate week to rest Hulett I think, for once it was good conditions for big forwards, no howling gale and we dominated scoring. It could have been a big confidence building day for Huey

• Like 2

So those who saw the game

- is JKH ready, and if so for whom;

- is Salem ready, if so for whom?

Thanks

7 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Another perspective. IsHogan 100℅ ?

Maybe Play someone who is ?

Salem said the reason he is playing half forward is to manage his running patterns and build match fitness. He was asked about getting back into the AFL side this year and ignored the question. 

JkH is an interesting one as he has been more damaging than the rest. Maybe an emergency next week and if an injury comes up but I'd still say ANB and Trenners will be first picked. If JKH wasn't injured this year I wonder if Garlett would have made his way back so easily. 

CASEY'S BIG DAY OUT by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions have for most of this season inflicted plenty of pain on their opposition and this week's clash against Werribee proved to be no exception as they snuffed out the Tigers' slim finals hopes at Casey Fields. 

The visitors had some early joy in the opening five minutes of the game as they kicked the first two goals but the Scorps came back with goals to Chris Dawes and Alex Neal-Bullen. Werribee regained the initiative with a goal and then Casey took over in general play if not on the scoreboard. They peppered the goals until the drew level and finally a Jack Grimes goal gave them the lead which they held for the remainder of the day. 

By the first break, the Scorpions were in control. They had more than double the number of shots at goal but led by 13 points. The trend continued into the second quarter as they dominated the contest and their half time lead of 37 points would have been far greater had they been more accurate in front of goal. 

With Jake Spencer returning to dominate in the ruck and the midfield on fire and winning all the stoppages, the procession continued until it turned into a 105 point percentage boosting rout at the end of the day. 

Casey had 16 Demon-listed players who all for the most part shone on a big day out for the club, particularly on ballers Matt Jones, Jack Grimes and Neal-Bullen who were virtually unstoppable. They had great support from the likes of Jack Trengove, Ben Kennedy and Jay Kennedy-Harris who started like a house on fire and then had another three goal purple patch in the third quarter. Mitch White also put in another strong performance and showed his versatility with two goals. 

Dawes was sharp in front of the big sticks and finished with three goals while Christian Salem also showed touches of class as he returns from illness, kicking a couple of nice goals.

Casey was without two of their stars in Tim Smith and Declan Keilty so in stepped first gamer Tom Baker with two second half goals. Ed Morris was also in prolific form getting plenty of the football.

The percentage boosting win sees Casey retaining top place ahead of Collingwood VFL on percentage and needing to win one of their remaining two games, both road trips against top eight sides Geelong and Box Hill, to gain a home game in the first week of finals.

Next week's trip to the Cattery promises to be a preview of what could be an interesting final round match for the Scorpions' AFL counterparts. 

Casey Scorpions 5.8.38 9.16.70 16.20.116 21.25.151

Werribee Tigers 4.1.25 5.4.34 6.4.40 7.4.46

Goals 

Casey Scorpions Baker Dawes Kennedy-Harris  3 Neal-Bullen Salem White 2 Ferreira Grimes Kennedy Munro Spencer Trengove

Werribee Tigers Durdin McKay Mountford 2 Jacobs 

Best 

Casey Scorpions Trengove Michie Grimes M Jones Kennedy-Harris Neal-Bullen

Werribee Tigers Hanson Gribble McFarlane Tippett Nielson Hibberd

Statistics

Chris Dawes 3 goals 8 disposals 6  kicks 2 handballs 3 marks 5 tackles 3 hit outs 74 dream team points
Lynden Dunn 10 disposals kicks 5 handballs 2 marks 1 tackle 32 dream team points
Colin Garland 13 disposals 7 kicks 6 handballs 4 marks 3 tackles 55 dream team points
Jack Grimes 1 goal 2 behinds 42 disposals 26 kicks 16 handballs 10 marks 3 tackles 161 dream team points
Matt Jones 1 behind 41 disposals 20 kicks 21 handballs 3 marks 112 dream team points
Ben Kennedy 1 goal 1 behind 24 disposals 12  kicks 12 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 94 dream team points
Jay Kennedy-Harris 3 goals 2 behinds 26 disposals 20 kicks 6 handballs 6 marks 4 tackles 127 dream team points
Viv Michie 2 behinds 36 disposals 23  kicks 13  handballs 6 marks 3 tackles 128 dream team points
Alex Neal-Bullen 2 goals 2 behinds 35 disposals 15 kicks 20 handballs 6 marks 3 tackles 133 dream team points
Christian Salem 2 goals 1 behind 21 disposals 13 kicks 8 handballs 6 marks 3 tackles 98 dream team points
Joel Smith 19 disposals 8 kicks 11 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 63 dream team points
Jake Spencer 1 goal 18 disposals 2 kicks 16 handballs 3 marks 37 hit outs 90 dream team points
Dean Terlich 3 behinds 22 disposals 11 kicks 11 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 75 dream team points
Jack Trengove 1 goal 1 behind 29 disposals 16 kicks 13 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 5 hit outs 109 dream team points
Josh Wagner 16 disposals 7 kicks 9 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 59 dream team points
Mitch White 2 goals 1 behind 29 disposals 20  kicks 9 handballs 12 marks 2 tackles 132 dream team points

The Development League team set the scene for Casey's big day out winning their game by 113 points against an injury-depleted Werribee which offered little resistance.

Max King was in good form. He booted five goals for the game.

AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 5.4.34 7.7.49 12.11.83 19.15.129

Werribee Tigers 0.1.1 1.1.7 2.3.15 2.4.16

Goals

Casey Scorpions Freeman Max King 5 Fritsch Wilson 2 Anderson Beacom Cox Hannon Stockdale

Werribee Tigers VanDenBerg 2

Best 

Casey Scorpions Anderson Wilson Max King McDonald Fritsch Jaffer-Williams 

Werribee Tigers VanDenBerg Eagle Anderson Conway Kennedy Barrack

3 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Are Werribee Tigers the VFL affiliate of Richmond or North?   The future doesn't bode well for one of them (well both really)

North. Some of their kids went alright in Durdin and Hibbard. But yeah, no depth. 

12 minutes ago, Dee-licious said:

North. Some of their kids went alright in Durdin and Hibbard. But yeah, no depth. 

Their fall off the cliff is going to be a very quick and brutal one.  Oldest and most experienced team, yet they've been playing like a bottom 6 team since Round 10.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee-licious said:

Shocked to hear Hibberd played. I saw him playing VFL on the telly a few weeks ago & it looked like he dislocated his knee. 

18 hours ago, Jaded said:

I want Salem in ASAP for Harmes. 

Great to see JHK back in some good form after a tough year of injuries. I think he has something to give at AFL level.

I agree and I wonder if we give him a run this week in the seniors????  

Edited by iv'a worn smith

1 hour ago, iv'a worn smith said:

I agree and I wonder if we give him a run this week in the seniors????  

Was on fairly limited time yesterday, don't think he played the 2nd qtr and was on and off the ground a bit. Not ready in my view  and really little point at this stage. But if Garlett does not get up????

19 minutes ago, Samael said:

Was on fairly limited time yesterday, don't think he played the 2nd qtr and was on and off the ground a bit. Not ready in my view  and really little point at this stage. But if Garlett does not get up????

I like the idea of JKH getting a run in the ones however it may not happen with two rounds to go. If Garlett does not get up, I would love to see Trenners play this weekend (otherwise ANB or Kennedy).

3 hours ago, CBDees said:

I like the idea of JKH getting a run in the ones however it may not happen with two rounds to go. If Garlett does not get up, I would love to see Trenners play this weekend (otherwise ANB or Kennedy).

As much as I'd like to see Trenners play this week ( if Jeffy doesn't come up) I think we would be better off replacing him with BenKen or ANB. 

3 hours ago, CBDees said:

Given the importance of winning the next two games and a remote  "chance" to play finals I don't think JKH would be risked. He would not play out the game IMO and there are a couple of others that would be a better option. 

The statistics from the game:

Chris Dawes 3 goals 8 disposals 6  kicks 2 handballs 3 marks 5 tackles 3 hit outs 74 dream team points
Lynden Dunn 10 disposals kicks 5 handballs 2 marks 1 tackle 32 dream team points
Colin Garland 13 disposals 7 kicks 6 handballs 4 marks 3 tackles 55 dream team points
Jack Grimes 1 goal 2 behinds 42 disposals 26 kicks 16 handballs 10 marks 3 tackles 161 dream team points
Matt Jones 1 behind 41 disposals 20 kicks 21 handballs 3 marks 112 dream team points
Ben Kennedy 1 goal 1 behind 24 disposals 12  kicks 12 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 94 dream team points
Jay Kennedy-Harris 3 goals 2 behinds 26 disposals 20 kicks 6 handballs 6 marks 4 tackles 127 dream team points
Viv Michie 2 behinds 36 disposals 23  kicks 13  handballs 6 marks 3 tackles 128 dream team points
Alex Neal-Bullen 2 goals 2 behinds 35 disposals 15 kicks 20 handballs 6 marks 3 tackles 133 dream team points
Christian Salem 2 goals 1 behind 21 disposals 13 kicks 8 handballs 6 marks 3 tackles 98 dream team points
Joel Smith 19 disposals 8 kicks 11 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 63 dream team points
Jake Spencer 1 goal 18 disposals 2 kicks 16 handballs 3 marks 37 hit outs 90 dream team points
Dean Terlich 3 behinds 22 disposals 11 kicks 11 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 75 dream team points
Jack Trengove 1 goal 1 behind 29 disposals 16 kicks 13 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 5 hit outs 109 dream team points
Josh Wagner 16 disposals 7 kicks 9 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 59 dream team points
Mitch White 2 goals 1 behind 29 disposals 20  kicks 9 handballs 12 marks 2 tackles 132 dream team points

I hope we manage to hang on to Viv Michie and I have him ahead of players like Trengove, Grimes and Newton. IMO he is better value than a fourth/fifth round pick and is an good depth player. He has been stiff that we have drafted so many inside mids that look like being top line AFL players.

12 hours ago, KC from Casey said:

Paul Amy in the Leader Newspapers:

The Casey Scorpions are looking formidable on the eve of the VFL finals

"IT’S been a season of highs for the Casey Scorpions. And now more.

In thrashing Werribee by 105 points on Saturday, the Scorpions had a season-high 46 scoring shots and a record 80 inside fifties."

Trengrove getting BOG and JKH slotting 3 goals and also amongst the best augurs well for their chances of a) promotion and b) retention on the list.