Jump to content

Best 22 for Round 1, 2017



Recommended Posts

Would anyone consider placing Pedersen down back? Similar to North's move with Robbie Tarrant.

He can take a mark, he's strong at the contest, and should be able to read the opposing forward line.

Talls so far appear to include T.Mac, O.Mac, and Smith down back, and Hogan, Watts, Gawn (when resting), and Weideman/Spencer up forward.

Pedersen could then be named on the bench to rotate down back (or up forward) if the backs are struggling with Bruce, Membrey, and Roo (who I rate) + McCartin.

Or alternatively he could just be named to replace Smith, or Weideman/Spencer.

Edited by ignition.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It occurred to me last night, that with Wied coming on as a tall forward, and Spencer giving us ruck depth, that perhaps Jack Watts' best role/position is as a wingman, who can go forward or back as required, plays better on the outside and use his speed and foot skills to deliver to effect..? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Round 1 - given our outs...

FB: Smith - T.Mac  - Vince

HB: Hunt - Oscar  - Melk

C: Stretch - Viney - Watts

HF: Trac - Hogan - Lewis

FF: Garlett - Wiedemann - Brayshaw

R: Gawn - N.Jones - Oliver

I: - Spencer - Tyson - Bugg - Salem

E: Harmes - ANB

Lots of versatility as to where players can play and my starting positions for many are placeholders as many could play elsewhere i.e. Vince in BP when he could be on ball, wing or HFF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

It occurred to me last night, that with Wied coming on as a tall forward, and Spencer giving us ruck depth, that perhaps Jack Watts' best role/position is as a wingman, who can go forward or back as required, plays better on the outside and use his speed and foot skills to deliver to effect..? 

an interesting match up on Riewoldt 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Round 1 - given our outs...

FB: Smith - T.Mac  - Vince

HB: Hunt - Oscar  - Melk

C: Stretch - Viney - Watts

HF: Trac - Hogan - Lewis

FF: Garlett - Wiedemann - Brayshaw

R: Gawn - N.Jones - Oliver

I: - Spencer - Tyson - Bugg - Salem

E: Harmes - ANB

Lots of versatility as to where players can play and my starting positions for many are placeholders as many could play elsewhere i.e. Vince in BP when he could be on ball, wing or HFF

agree with almost all that 22 except only one or Weed or Spencer will play and one of Harmes and ANB will come in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

agree with almost all that 22 except only one or Weed or Spencer will play and one of Harmes and ANB will come in

Same. Can't see Weid getting a kick against the Saints back line. Surely the big forwards will have to be Hogan, Watts and Spencer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Though Weideman does not have a developed key-forward's body, he does do a lot off good work off the ball with his blocking and leading patterns; for me, he plays round one. He has the pace and agility to trouble Brown and is such a proficient kick, he only needs a couple of chances to hurt the opposition.  

I'm not sold on Spencer as he is not a natural forward and I don't like the idea of our All-Australian ruckman playing second fiddle to him.  Gawn has never excelled in the forward line and has said in the past that he didn't like having to play there in his early years.  Unless his ability to run out games becomes an issue in 2017, he plays in the ruck with a chop out from Watts.  In the place of a second ruckman, we play another mid.

Jetta has to play for mine, there is little flair in the way he plays, but he does a job and does it bloody well.  He shuts down dangerous small forwards or resting mid and, while not a scintillating kick, doesn't cough it up or have the brain-fades we've come to associate with other defenders.  In short, small forwards check under their beds at night for Neville Jetta; he plays.

I like the look of Smith; he has the pace and athleticism to play on small and mediums and the aggression and height to play tall if needs be.  Would be a good match-up for the dangerous Membrey. 

 

JETTA        O'McDONLAD      SMITH 

HUNT         T'McDONAD         MELKSHAM

LEWIS           VINEY                SALEM

KENT            HOGAN              PETRACCA

WATTS        WEIDEMAN         GARTLETT

GAWN            JONES              OLIVER

 

Int.  VINCE   BRAYSHAW   STRETCH   TYSON     

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Could post this in any number of threads that relate to Watts but it is primarily about selections this week. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-21/watts-happening-no-clue-from-demons-coach

Goodwin makes an interesting comment about whether to go with tall or not so tall forward line this week.  That will determine whether Weideman and Spencer play.

Garlett, Watts, Kent, Smith in the mix.  No mention of Jetta so I would guess unlikely. 

Coach not particularly upbeat on Watts '..he is slowly improving...'  The troubling part of the club's preseason Watts commentary is there has been precious little public confidence in him. Not sure Goodwin's big stick of non-selection is the way to motivate him (or any player).   

He could just say Watts is in the mix and leave it at that.  Why add the 'slowly improving'... Can't see the benefit of Goodwin persisting with his public 'slow burn' of Watts. 

Still get the feel that we're being prepared for picking Spencer & leaving out Watts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/03/2017 at 3:24 PM, stevethemanjordan said:

We can't afford that sort of player against a quick and slick St Kilda at Etihad. Oliver, Brayshaw and Viney are all better prepared and in better form.

I think Viney is going in with pretty average form, will have to lift a lot. Brayshaw is no better. Oliver is by far the pick of the midfield at the moment and needs some help.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I don't consider myself a spelling nazi but for the love of god it's Weideman or Weid for short. 

Not Wiedmann or Wied. 

And I don't think the young fella is in the best 22 at the present.

Look, I know your not a Nazi, but I like that you have the urge to spell German names correctly. You'd be surprised at how many Krauts are good and great AFL footballers. Like Shane Warne, the greatest living German cricketer. ( pity he's such a fwiggin BOGAN.)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Akum said:

Still get the feel that we're being prepared for picking Spencer & leaving out Watts.

If we lose and Spencer + Weid add nothing just wait for all the backlash over his non selection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Could post this in any number of threads that relate to Watts but it is primarily about selections this week. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-21/watts-happening-no-clue-from-demons-coach

Goodwin makes an interesting comment about whether to go with tall or not so tall forward line this week.  That will determine whether Weideman and Spencer play.

Garlett, Watts, Kent, Smith in the mix.  No mention of Jetta so I would guess unlikely. 

Coach not particularly upbeat on Watts '..he is slowly improving...'  The troubling part of the club's preseason Watts commentary is there has been precious little public confidence in him. Not sure Goodwin's big stick of non-selection is the way to motivate him (or any player).   

He could just say Watts is in the mix and leave it at that.  Why add the 'slowly improving'... Can't see the benefit of Goodwin persisting with his public 'slow burn' of Watts. 

I think Goodwin likes to be a bit coy with the media as it's also a vehicle for opposition clubs to gain intel. Obviously he's not going to show his cards yet. The beauty of this "in the mix" speculation is that it makes St.Kilda's planning much harder when considering our forward line. The teams are announced on Thurs night and most of the pre match planning is done before that. On the flip side, all of the Melbourne coaching staff know exactly who's going to be lining up in the saints forward line.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was smokin through the rainforest and it was raining and raining and raining...... And in a flash of lightning a man stood before me dry as a bone.... And it was Todd and with a wink and a nod he told me this weeks team... Shoot I said tug on this cheroot man and his eyes rolled and his tongue hung low and wet ... And the team was...

defenders......mac 1& 2, Bernie, melksh hunty, son of smithy, Lewis ... 7

forwards...... Hoges, Jeffy, tracks, hannnnan, weeeeeed..... 5

Middies...... Maximus, gus, jonesy, olly, the vine, buggy, ..... 6

warmers.... Streeetcch, Pencil, Tyson, sailing.....4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to be critical of other poster as we're all intitled to our opinions, but the love for Spencer on this thread is completely unprecedented on Demonland.  There were huge grumbles on here when he was re-signed last year and now he seems to be placed in the majority of Round 1 teams... how the worm turns!

 

Personally, I don't see a spot for him against a quick team on a quick ground, but good luck to him if he's named!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Not to be critical of other poster as we're all intitled to our opinions, but the love for Spencer on this thread is completely unprecedented on Demonland.  There were huge grumbles on here when he was re-signed last year and now he seems to be placed in the majority of Round 1 teams... how the worm turns!

 

Personally, I don't see a spot for him against a quick team on a quick ground, but good luck to him if he's named!

Must say I keep recalling his last game played in anger.... the VFL Grand Final.... was not his best day

All I can think of is that it is some master plan to leverage Gawn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, grey wolf said:

I was smokin through the rainforest and it was raining and raining and raining...... And in a flash of lightning a man stood before me dry as a bone.... And it was Todd and with a wink and a nod he told me this weeks team... Shoot I said tug on this cheroot man and his eyes rolled and his tongue hung low and wet ... And the team was...

defenders......mac 1& 2, Bernie, melksh hunty, son of smithy, Lewis ... 7

forwards...... Hoges, Jeffy, tracks, hannnnan, weeeeeed..... 5

Middies...... Maximus, gus, jonesy, olly, the vine, buggy, ..... 6

warmers.... Streeetcch, Pencil, Tyson, sailing.....4

Smokn the good stuff Wolf!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Not to be critical of other poster as we're all intitled to our opinions, but the love for Spencer on this thread is completely unprecedented on Demonland.  There were huge grumbles on here when he was re-signed last year and now he seems to be placed in the majority of Round 1 teams... how the worm turns!

 

Personally, I don't see a spot for him against a quick team on a quick ground, but good luck to him if he's named!

Contradictory posts on Demonland, frankly I'm shocked   you mean the wind blows

Edited by Satyriconhome
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok.. First post this year (or since I have remembered my password)

FB:  Salem - T.Mac  - Vince

HB: Lewis - Pedo  - Oscar

C: Stretch - Viney - Hunt

HF: Trac  - Watts - Kent/Harmes

FF: Garlett - Hogan - Weid

R: Gawn - N.Jones - Oliver

I: - Brayshaw - Tyson - Bugg - Melk

E: Harmes/Kent  - ANB - Spencer

Without the inside knowledge the coaches have. I would play Pedo at CHB to me (Only viable Blackman with size- Smith not ready). Start Lewis at Half Back so he can general the backline/swap with jones. Play Hunt on the wing and try utilise his speed at Etihad to link up through half back in hope he hits the scoreboard/creates more goals and depending on fitness play either Harmes or Kent as that 3rd 4th forward.

Thoughts? I would be backing Gawn to go head to head with Hickey and be using Pedo as a chop out.

And be instructing who ever gets their hands on Reiwoldt to make him hurt like Viney did to Ablett a few years ago.. CUT THE HEAD OFF AT THE SNAKE! (Too much cricket)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Not to be critical of other poster as we're all intitled to our opinions, but the love for Spencer on this thread is completely unprecedented on Demonland.  There were huge grumbles on here when he was re-signed last year and now he seems to be placed in the majority of Round 1 teams... how the worm turns!

 

Personally, I don't see a spot for him against a quick team on a quick ground, but good luck to him if he's named!

He has improved.. but not in my team! I see him getting a game when we need to stretch a few back lines. Stkilda is not one of those.. We need the speed to beat them on the fast tack of Etihad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dieter said:

Look, I know your not a Nazi, but I like that you have the urge to spell German names correctly. You'd be surprised at how many Krauts are good and great AFL footballers. Like Shane Warne, the greatest living German cricketer. ( pity he's such a fwiggin BOGAN.)

dieter de sonne schientz in de himmel, Vo ist de toilette bitte ?

More importantly have you cashed out at the atm, mowed your bloody lawns,told your polish wife to look at married @ first sight ,kicked your 19 year old daughter and her st Kilda boyfriend off the planet and booked your tickets for Saturday if that's too far to travel from norhcote/box hill or wherever

Did you ever see Karl Dietrik play at Deutschland ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, puntkick said:

dieter de sonne schientz in de himmel, Vo ist de toilette bitte ?

More importantly have you cashed out at the atm, mowed your bloody lawns,told your polish wife to look at married @ first sight ,kicked your 19 year old daughter and her st Kilda boyfriend off the planet and booked your tickets for Saturday if that's too far to travel from norhcote/box hill or wherever

Did you ever see Karl Dietrik play at Deutschland ?

Spent the weekend at Mount Buller in preparation for the season.Now, Der Karl Der Grosse, menschen's kinder, now there was ein fussballer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 48

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 527

    PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30

    VOTES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jake Lever, Jack Viney & Clayton Oliver make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 39

    POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demons were blown out of the water in the first quarter and clawed their way back into the contest but it was a case of too little too late as they lost another close one to Carlton losing by 1 point at the MCG.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 486

    GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 959
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...