• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Michael Hibberd and Michael Hurley

P-man

Essendon have released a seriously odd statement on Hurley. On the face of it, it's not saying anything that people don't already know. So why do it? Trying to put a bit more pressure on him to sign? Let's hope all it does is push him further away...

http://m.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-07-06/hurley-update

Edited by Members' Wing
  • Like 1

Just now, Members' Wing said:

Essendon have released a seriously odd statement on Hurley. On the face of it, it's not saying anything that people don't already know. So why do it? Trying to put a bit more pressure on him to sign? Let's hope all it does is push him further away...

Slobbo has written an article stating the Bombers plan to offer Hurley a 5 year deal, worth upwards of 800k.  Apparently his decision won't be based on money, but whether he is happy to play for the Bombers again.  Still think he is 50/50 to leave.

Hurley knows well the type of deal he's going to get at the bombers, and that he's going to get similar if not more money at other clubs, i imagine if he were to come to the Dees it'd be for pretty significant money.

A dream outcome would be to bring in Hurley & Hibbered as DFA's and then allow us to pick up someone like Dion Prestia via trade.

In a perfect world we'd keep TMAC and Hurley would allow him to be the second call defender giving him more of a license to take the intercept marks which is his real strength.

• Like 5

It doesn't strike me as Paul Roos or Peter Jackson-like to go down any DFA route to get players, but the Bombers can hardly complain. They are apparently pursuing a Brisbane player via the PSD so they don't give up any picks.

I thought clubs had an unwritten rule about that kind of stuff... but then, most clubs aren't convicted drug cheats, either.

7 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

It doesn't strike me as Paul Roos or Peter Jackson-like to go down any DFA route to get players, but the Bombers can hardly complain. They are apparently pursuing a Brisbane player via the PSD so they don't give up any picks.

I thought clubs had an unwritten rule about that kind of stuff... but then, most clubs aren't convicted drug cheats, either.

That would be great for us...couldn't see the AFL having a problem with us taking one of theirs as a DFA then.

13 minutes ago, rjay said:

That would be great for us...couldn't see the AFL having a problem with us taking one of theirs as a DFA then.

Well, we're talking about the club kicking up a stink about our approaches to their players... only 9 months after their club's CEO, captain, and best player boarded a private jet and met with an interstate club's development coach with the sole intent to poach him.

They are scumbags and hypocrites.

Edited by SaberFang
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Members' Wing said:

Definitely a strange one. Think they're trying to throw their weight around, but we are definitely in the race for him.

3 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Slobbo has written an article stating the Bombers plan to offer Hurley a 5 year deal, worth upwards of 800k.  Apparently his decision won't be based on money, but whether he is happy to play for the Bombers again.  Still think he is 50/50 to leave.

Not sure if we could afford over 800K.

I think we'll get Hibberd but Hurley will stay, happy to be proven wrong though. The longer Hurley and Hibberd go without committing, the more of a chance we are.

7 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

I'd like to get him as he can play that small defender role with Jetta, Wagner and Melksham.  It may help to release Salem in to a midfield role, while also possibly doing the same for Hunt, who I think would look fantastic on the opposite wing to Stretch.

How do you see the make up of the back six next year with regards to how many talls? Also in your earlier post you mentioned if we were able to land Hurley the club could look at the possibility of trading out Tmac to free up space in the salary cap, just a thought (and it is 4.30 in the morning) if we were to move on at years end Dawes/Grimes (both out of contract) Dunn (1 year remaining?) Garland (2 years remaining) could we then have Hurley/Tmac/Frost as our KPD and Oscar as depth? Hurley and Tmac would be on good coin whilst the other two on the average (whatever that is) Besides Jones/Vince/Hogan I am struggling to see who is taking up all our salary cap? H? Melksham? Considering the bulk of our talent is young I think we could make that work by front loading some players contracts.

Essendon have offered Hurley a 5 year extension worth between 700-800k per season with allowances for the cap increases. He's on holidays and will apparently decide on whether or not to accept when he returns in 5 weeks.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

43 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Essendon have offered Hurley a 5 year extension worth between 700-800k per season with allowances for the cap increases. He's on holidays and will apparently decide on whether or not to accept when he returns in 5 weeks.

5 more weeks for us to work on him then.

I'd happily see our mob pay that for Hurley.

The longer it goes, the more I like our chances of getting both.

By the sounds of it, we're more likely that we will get Hibberd across.  As far as Hurley goes, he's clearly disgruntled with his club, can't blame him.  I would think the tif he was staying, Essendon would've had him locked away by now.  The fact they don't gives me hope, and the longer he goes without signing grows my confidence.

I wonder if, as per ET's above post, Hurley is waiting for this next 5 weeks to see how we (or other clubs) are going to finish off the year.  It's important for us to remember that it's in no benefit to us to not win games, unlike many clubs below us.  We don't have a first rounder this year, so there's no incentive for us to not win, meaning we could finish the year with some momentum, and make us an appealing prospect for someone like Hurley.

• Like 2

For those who think it's a two-horse race between us and Essendon in regards to both Hibberd and Hurley, I'd like to remind you that there are 16 other clubs in our competion, many of which would also be interested in both players.

We have been the laughing stock of the AFL for near 10 years and we will be the only club that loses to the VFL team that is Essendon this year.

To assume that we're a lay down misere to land either of them if they don't want t stay at Essendon like some of you are suggesting is nothing short of comical.

• Like 5

Just now, Bombay Airconditioning said:

How do you see the make up of the back six next year with regards to how many talls? Also in your earlier post you mentioned if we were able to land Hurley the club could look at the possibility of trading out Tmac to free up space in the salary cap, just a thought (and it is 4.30 in the morning) if we were to move on at years end Dawes/Grimes (both out of contract) Dunn (1 year remaining?) Garland (2 years remaining) could we then have Hurley/Tmac/Frost as our KPD and Oscar as depth? Hurley and Tmac would be on good coin whilst the other two on the average (whatever that is) Besides Jones/Vince/Hogan I am struggling to see who is taking up all our salary cap? H? Melksham? Considering the bulk of our talent is young I think we could make that work by front loading some players contracts.

It will be an interesting off season to say the least BA.  Some big decisions need to be made, both on who they want to recruit and who they want to move on, and it will dictate if we are in the hunt to play finals in 2017.

Hibberd is the only player, at the moment, who is a genuine chance of being recruited to the club.  I'm not sold on Hurley at all and, while I'm sure we are around the mark for Prestia, I think other clubs like the Tigers will panic and give him an absolute truck load of cash which puts us out of the market.

If we were to land Hibberd, and we obviously have an almost new recruit in Melksham, that adds some experience and quality to our back half.  What do we do with the talls?  The club might stick with what we have.  Do they try and offload one of Dunn and Garland and try and get in some more experience to support Tom, Oscar and Frost?  Big decisions to be made there.  The next 8 weeks will tell us something about it I'm sure.

To me, there is no chance we get all three of Hibberd, Hurley and Prestia.  There will be too much money being thrown around for us to do that.  We'll get one, two if we are unbelievably lucky.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deefella said:

Who cares, carry on

Disgusting practice.Good to see both unscathed though, ready to start training in September and don the red and blue later in the year.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

we could offer hibbert and hurley a free trip to the bullfights every year. hemingway could chaperone them

I might be old, dead or forgotten but I have standards. Bull fighting has history, culture, skill, artistry and a narrative that would be lost on these guys. Running the bulls is for thrill seekers, drunks and dope heads. Like many things, this event has been spoiled by modern tourism and idiots that have the money to travel but have no appreciation for anything other than booze and living the moment. Their presence and participation is meaningless. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

On Ch 7 just now a pic of four of the banned bombers doing the running of the bulls in Spain, including Hibberd and Hurley.

Probably come back with mad cows disease.

Pass.

Can only be a good sign, they like running with bulls. We have a few down at MFC (Viney, Oliver and Petracca).

• Like 4

Sounds like we're very keen on Hibberd and good judges rate him.  Good players will make us better but I still don't see his role as a recruiting priority.  We've got Melksham, Salem, Wagner, White and Hunt all capable at HB.  "Hibberd will free them to move to the midfield" yeah maybe but we've got N.Jones, Vince, Viney, Tyson, Brayshaw, Petracca, Oliver and Stretch there already - who are they pushing out?  Then there's VDB and Harmes.  I haven't even bothered to include Lumumba, Trengove, Grimes, M.Jones and Bugg but some are very useful depth at a minimum.

Hurley on the other hand ...

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 2