Michael Hibberd and Michael Hurley

P-man

4 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

I do hope we finish of the season with a big 3 weeks, give Hurls a few things to really ponder about our potential for success compared to others in market for him.

Agree wholeheartedly. 

If we finish with a bang, it'll certainly send a far different msg to players considering their options than if we were to just roll over again next week and heaven forbid, lose to Carlton.

This is our mini finals series right here and now.

These last three games.

Send a [censored] message Demons.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 8

It may have little bearing, but it was also mentioned on 3AW on Saturday that Hurley grew up supporting the Saints. They look pretty good now, despite being carried by a lot of their older players. Still, I think a footballer with little foresight would see the Saints as being the better destination in the long run. They'd be wrong.

Im starting to have second thoughts about Hurley, regardless of whether we could get him. Ok...yes,  he's been a superstar of the comp imo. But the way the game is changing with so much run and spread and speed Im not sure that Tmac isnt  more of the new look prototype. Hurley dominated when the game was more like rugby, he's a fantastic mark, big body and strong precense. But he isn't quick. We didn't get to see him this year and how he managed that ...he may well have looked a bit different. 

Part of the reason Watts is blooming ( aside from better coaching, better support and more confidence) is the ball is coming to him at pace and space and that isnt exposing him as much to being physically mauled.  He's gotten SO much better with his body use but I think the modern game suits him also...just as it suddenly suits Tom $. 

Im just thinking out loud. Any one got any thoughts on this? We may have to sell a chunk of the farm to get him and I just dont know if its worth it. 

• Like 5

Hhhmmm I think if we could get both Hibb and Hurl it adds a whole new dimension to the def structure. Hurl ability to body then really frees up T Mac to be that floating/marking/punching backman. Then Hurls foot skills, which are a step above Tmac again allows us to open up teams in a better way again. Hibb the same, good foot skills, then frees up Salem etc to push into the middle/fwd part of the ground.

21 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

Im starting to have second thoughts about Hurley, regardless of whether we could get him. Ok...yes,  he's been a superstar of the comp imo. But the way the game is changing with so much run and spread and speed Im not sure that Tmac isnt  more of the new look prototype. Hurley dominated when the game was more like rugby, he's a fantastic mark, big body and strong precense. But he isn't quick. We didn't get to see him this year and how he managed that ...he may well have looked a bit different. 

Part of the reason Watts is blooming ( aside from better coaching, better support and more confidence) is the ball is coming to him at pace and space and that isnt exposing him as much to being physically mauled.  He's gotten SO much better with his body use but I think the modern game suits him also...just as it suddenly suits Tom $. 

Im just thinking out loud. Any one got any thoughts on this? We may have to sell a chunk of the farm to get him and I just dont know if its worth it. 

The big strong competitors in the air will always be needed. Particularly in Grand Finals, where games tend to be more contested and congested. You could aruge Frawley was a massive reason why Hawthorn won it last year. Tommy's not that sort of player.

My feeling is Hurley will speed up our development as a football team simply because he'll allow us to win more games. But at the same time, I don't believe his recruitment is make or break.

I also wouldn't be offering him anymore than $700k. If you're going to come across, we'll pay you a little bit more than our other defenders, but we'll be taking you under market value, because as a club, we can offer you success during your remaining career. By 2018 we believe we'll be challenging. That gives you a year to learn our system and develop chemistry with your new team mates. Take it or leave it, Michael.

Edited by AdamFphlebeb
  • Like 2

Let's re-sign our existing required players first before we go after a convicted drug cheat with big money and early picks, please.

Edited by TheoX
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

It may have little bearing, but it was also mentioned on 3AW on Saturday that Hurley grew up supporting the Saints. They look pretty good now, despite being carried by a lot of their older players. Still, I think a footballer with little foresight would see the Saints as being the better destination in the long run. They'd be wrong.

Who someone supported as a kid has no bearing on their decision to play there 

33 minutes ago, TheoX said:

Let's re-sign our existing required players first before we go after a convicted drug cheat with big money and early picks, please.

Don't you think they are working hard to try and get this done? 

Hopefully we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Don't you think they are working hard to try and get this done? 

Hopefully we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Of course they are, but I'd rather overpay TMac a bit than have him walk so that we can have a crack at Hurley. They seem to be holding steadfast with TMac's offer.

1 minute ago, TheoX said:

Of course they are, but I'd rather overpay TMac a bit than have him walk so that we can have a crack at Hurley. They seem to be holding steadfast with TMac's offer.

Agree, but they would know exactly what TMac is worth and are prepared to pay for him. Like me I'm sure you are confident with our list guys doing their jobs (wouldn't have said this 2005-2013!).

The club will not let him walk to have a crack at Hurley. No way.

However, if TMac chooses to go, I believe a relatively minor difference in contract amount would not be the reason. We tick all the right boxes for him to stay: good money, future success, culture and development, his brother and his best mates, long term club stability.

I think his manager is pushing for as big a contract as possible and using the delay in signing as leverage.

• Like 2

Isn't he a FA next year anyway? Why would you bother selling the farm to Essendon to get him a year early?

We're already going to have to pay overs to take a contracted Hibberd.

Edited by SaberFang
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Isn't he a FA next year anyway? Why would you bother selling the farm to Essendon to get him a year early?

We're already going to have to pay overs to take a contracted Hibberd.

Because if he wants out now, there's a long queue of clubs prepared to do so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

He's a natural footballer and he can kick, that puts him as our best key defender if we were able to land him.

• Like 1

It's still unclear as to whether Hurley and Hibbert can leave Essendrug as FAs under the AFL grievance tribunal system. Ess and AFL will make it hard for this to happen, but if the players want out and have good lawyers, who knows!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

It's still unclear as to whether Hurley and Hibbert can leave Essendrug as FAs under the AFL grievance tribunal system. Ess and AFL will make it hard for this to happen, but if the players want out and have good lawyers, who knows!

of course they can, and if unsuccessful (highly unlikely) at the grievance tribunal they could always go to a real court

essendrug and the afl would certainly prefer that no-one goes to the gt (for obvious reasons of bad publicity) and no doubt try all tactics, but, if it got to the gt the afl would not interfere

so, if hibbert makes the decision to leave, and, nominates mfc as his choice........and dodoro plays hardball and won't back down to reasonable deals (read favourable to us), then it could quite easily end up at the gt, but i think essendrug would backdown at the last minute.

the only way i can see it going to the gt early in the piece (before trade week) is if essendrug seriously [censored] off hibberd (and/or hurley?) at this time

big question is if we start trade week without going to gt (i.e. no dfa) and then essendrug play dirty, just how long would it take to ask for a gt and get it resolved. I doubt it could be done in a day, so the brinksmanship during trade week could get really ramped up

the sensible thing would be for essendrug and mfc to come to an agreement before trade week, but this is probably illegal under afl trade rules

quite an interesting situation really and i hope mfc plays hard and stands their ground

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

of course they can, and if unsuccessful (highly unlikely) at the grievance tribunal they could always go to a real court

essendrug and the afl would certainly prefer that no-one goes to the gt (for obvious reasons of bad publicity) and no doubt try all tactics, but, if it got to the gt the afl would not interfere

so, if hibbert makes the decision to leave, and, nominates mfc as his choice........and dodoro plays hardball and won't back down to reasonable deals (read favourable to us), then it could quite easily end up at the gt, but i think essendrug would backdown at the last minute.

the only way i can see it going to the gt early in the piece (before trade week) is if essendrug seriously [censored] off hibberd (and/or hurley?) at this time

big question is if we start trade week without going to gt (i.e. no dfa) and then essendrug play dirty, just how long would it take to ask for a gt and get it resolved. I doubt it could be done in a day, so the brinksmanship during trade week could get really ramped up

the sensible thing would be for essendrug and mfc to come to an agreement before trade week, but this is probably illegal under afl trade rules

quite an interesting situation really and i hope mfc plays hard and stands their ground

Agree dc.

To cover their rrrses the AFL need to clear up grievance tribunal outcomes before the trade period. That is unless they permit their own rules to be broken and an agreement to be reached before trade week. Otherwise it will end up an AFL created logistical fk up. Messy, whichever way it's looked at.

Nothing new here, just adding to the hype-train. 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/super-footy-podcast-round-20-melbourne-must-get-michael-hurley-brisbanes-woe-bartels-spanner-in-the-works/news-story/1d0be64f0bda59ac90f8100c5c81d285?nk=79f882af6b1255f2ff5dd8e49c85ea48-1470632300

MELBOURNE must get Michael Hurley.

That’s the verdict of Herald Sun football writer Jon Anderson, who told the SuperFooty Podcast that the time was right for the Demons.

“They’re looking at Michael Hurley, don’t worry about that,” Anderson told Anthony Hudson and Mick Warner in the SuperFooty bunker

“Tom McDonald is a really good key defender, but they need another one.”

Huddo said Hurley was no closer to making a decision than he was when he went on holidays with several of the banned Bombers last month.

“Talking to people from the Essendon camp, they were really counting on the time away with all the mates that that was going to be a real positive for him to come back and maybe he would say yes,” Huddo said.

“But my information within the last three or four days is that his mind hasn’t changed in terms of going back to Essendon.”

MICHAEL HURLEY WILL LEAVE ESSENDON SAYS PAUL CHAPMAN

Ando said Hurley would do his due diligence before making a decision.

“Speaking to someone who knows him very well, Michael Hurley will go to the club he thinks is best prepared, best set up to win a premiership,” Ando said.

“He’s a very, very single minded young man who is no dill, and he’ll just go through everything possible to ensure, in his mind, he is going to the right place.”

Edited by johndemons
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, johndemons said:

Nothing new here, just adding to the hype-train. 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/super-footy-podcast-round-20-melbourne-must-get-michael-hurley-brisbanes-woe-bartels-spanner-in-the-works/news-story/1d0be64f0bda59ac90f8100c5c81d285?nk=79f882af6b1255f2ff5dd8e49c85ea48-1470632300

MELBOURNE must get Michael Hurley.

MICHAEL HURLEY WILL LEAVE ESSENDON SAYS PAUL CHAPMAN

Ando said Hurley would do his due diligence before making a decision.

“Speaking to someone who knows him very well, Michael Hurley will go to the club he thinks is best prepared, best set up to win a premiership,” Ando said.

“He’s a very, very single minded young man who is no dill, and he’ll just go through everything possible to ensure, in his mind, he is going to the right place.”

Ok Dees, the ball is in your court.

Win at least 2 of the last 3 games, and it will be like our mascot is jumping up and down waving his arms, outside Hurley's living room window. Get his attention.

Its within our control, if we want it bad enough.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

DFA'S can be picked up until final list lodgement can't they? So wouldn't have to be resolved during trade week