Who are the Dees chasing for 2017 and at what cost?

junk

DemonAndrew, I am not certain you are right and that includes myself. According to the "kiddie" draft order we sit around the 26 mark. If we had another first round pick at an advancement why hasn't been mentioned? We will have to wait and see what happens.  

Nothing to do with D.a, I think we would be taking a chance on Hibberd, I think Caleb Marchbank may be a better option.Too many ex-Essendon players may spoil the broth. Jack Frost (woods) may be worth a try. On the "kiddie" draft Brennan Cox or Goddard may be worth picking up. I think Salem will become a mid next year. Would have if Marksham didn't get scrubbed out. Hurley may be a good pick up.

Angry at Casey posted this in the Casey thread. Thought it should be brought over here, for those who didn't read that thread.

First of all i'll address what i heard re: Hibberd.

I was there tonight with a good mate and his old man who bumped into this relative of Hibberd at the ground. Now they played some footy together at Crib Point in years gone bye.

This relative said Hibberd would be at Melbourne on a 4 year deal. Essendon had offered him 3 with a trigger for a 4th for what would work out to be 30K a year less. Now the money wasn't the clincher according to the relative, more so Essendon's pitch. Essendon said that they'd be up and challenging within 2 years, to which Hibberd said, and i quote '[censored] that, i'm 26. Melbourne are ready to challenge now'.

• Like 7

With the Hawks win, I reckon there'll be a few players saying to their managers "Make sure you let the Demon's know I'm interested". 

With every win and step up our recruiter's jobs get a notch easier...

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, PaulRB said:

With the Hawks win, I reckon there'll be a few players saying to their managers "Make sure you let the Demon's know I'm interested". 

With every win and step up our recruiters jobs gets a notch easier...

Wonder what Hurley thought.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

With every win and step up our recruiter's jobs get a notch easier...

Been thinking this for years

Tanking was just such a bad option. It kills all spirit

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Angry at Casey posted this in the Casey thread. Thought it should be brought over here, for those who didn't read that thread.

First of all i'll address what i heard re: Hibberd.

I was there tonight with a good mate and his old man who bumped into this relative of Hibberd at the ground. Now they played some footy together at Crib Point in years gone bye.

This relative said Hibberd would be at Melbourne on a 4 year deal. Essendon had offered him 3 with a trigger for a 4th for what would work out to be 30K a year less. Now the money wasn't the clincher according to the relative, more so Essendon's pitch. Essendon said that they'd be up and challenging within 2 years, to which Hibberd said, and i quote '[censored] that, i'm 26. Melbourne are ready to challenge now'.

If that is Hibberd's true state of mind then great. He will bust his guts for us

that is what we need. 

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

If that is Hibberd's true state of mind then great. He will bust his guts for us

that is what we need. 

But first round pick? Must be a joke right?

apart from winning the actual game yesterday (and everything around the hawks, what that means, etc) the key thing that i was so excited about is that the win would've impressed other players around the league.. the more games like that, the sooner we become a 'destination club'....if we aren't already.

who wouldn't love running out on a sunny mcg most weeks?! getting to join the other young fellas for a few years of learning before pushing for a flag in a couple years. 

everything is set up for success.

could not be more excited. imagine if that had been the last game of the year!! we would've been going nuts over the off-season! haha, so stoked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

could not be more excited. imagine if that had been the last game of the year!! we would've been going nuts over the off-season! haha, so stoked.

If that was the last game i was ever to see, i would go a proud and happy man.

Edited by Demon Disciple
on yesterday's performance 'proud' would be a fait accompli
  • Like 6

On 04/08/2016 at 7:20 PM, BigMacjnr said:

I heard that Hurley is after pretty significant coin...just don't think he is worth approx $750k+ a season. He is a good player but not sure he is worth that.

If we are going to give up a first rounder, I would prefer to trade with GWS who reportedly need to shed a minimum of 5 players and $600k from their books. For a first rounder you could pick up a couple of players like Ahern and Hoskin-Elliot. Talking potential but their ceiling is higher than Hurley/Hibberd in my opinion.

If the 2017 draft is as good as the hype then I would be pretty hesitant to part with it. Really tough one, but the club is in a great place where they don't have to make any rash moves to fix the list. 

I also agree with these ideas.

If either a Hurley deal,  or  others like Hoskin Elliot & Tomlinson, I don't think we can go to far wrong.  Or stay in the 2017 draft.

I think we are in a good position now, to make deals, or keep the picks to use.  But we do need some more maturity into our still young list age average. but only quality.

On 05/08/2016 at 9:06 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

Depending on whether they wanted to walk from Essendrug or whether it was all about ca$h

it is a lot to give up. Hibberd doesn't sound like he really wants to leave the den...

the season isn't finished yet, let alone end of season trips.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/paul-chapman-says-michael-hurley-will-leave-essendon/news-story/36eb3364dedac6e4a14081552bd943c5

There it is. Someone close has said he's leaving. The question now is where? Are we actually in the mix for him?

8 minutes ago, jako13 said:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/paul-chapman-says-michael-hurley-will-leave-essendon/news-story/36eb3364dedac6e4a14081552bd943c5

There it is. Someone close has said he's leaving. The question now is where? Are we actually in the mix for him?

Please oh lord let it be the MFC.

And thank you oh lord for arguably Essendrugs best player walking out on them.  

• Like 5

Landing Hurley would be monumental. 

And whilst others have suggested Saturday's win would help at least raise eyebrows for opposition players thinking looking for greener pastures, it could also all be undone if we turn to water next week and the week after.

But yes, landing Hibberd and Hurley would propel us into the 8 next year. (One would think).

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jako13 said:

If there's truth to this, I can't see them challenging for the flag in the next 3 years. Brilliant.

14 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Landing Hurley would be monumental. 

And whilst others have suggested Saturday's win would help at least raise eyebrows for opposition players thinking looking for greener pastures, it could also all be undone if we turn to water next week and the week after.

But yes, landing Hibberd and Hurley would propel us into the 8 next year. (One would think).

If we could land Hibberd, Hurley and another top mid from an opposition club, we'll give the top 4 a shake next year.

• Like 2

If Hurley wants out and the club is confident on Jesse and Tom it's time to break out the war chest i reckon! Hurley would be a huge signing for the club and we're a strong chance if he wants out given the clubs direction and Essendon connections.

the trade would be a tricky one, especially if Hibberd wants to come on board as well

Not that he was ever a target for us, and rightly so, but Lewis Taylor has re-signed with the Lions.

I would be interested to know if the Lions upped their offer or Taylor quickly realised that no-one was really interested in a bloke whose only strength is his pace?

If we can get Hurley, and it is a big if, then I think we are just one decent backup ruckman (not that anyone will even come close to cleaning Gawn's shoelaces), and another zippy wingman, from a pretty complete list.

If we look at the list that we are assembling, and taking into account that I think we will be ready to seriously challenge around 2019, the only key player in the side who is unlikely to be there is Vince. Jones is probably going to be past his prime (but will still be important to the side). Those two will be more than covered with the likes of Oliver, Brayshaw, Salem etc.. 

I do however think that to seriously challenge we need another really  good defender. Maybe that's Oscar or maybe that's Frost, but neither are a lock. McDonald will need help, and it is clearly not coming from either Dunn or Garland. Hurley, with his potential to backup ruck as well, is actually a perfect get for us. 

With Wieds looking good, and Hogan probably sticking around, and Gawn being the greatest thing since sliced bread, our talls are strong. Just need another really quality tall defender to complete the look. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Not that he was ever a target for us, and rightly so, but Lewis Taylor has re-signed with the Lions.

I would be interested to know if the Lions upped their offer or Taylor quickly realised that no-one was really interested in a bloke whose only strength is his pace?

His new deal is worth 1.2Mill :wacko:

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

His new deal is worth 1.2Mill :wacko:

6 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Embarrassing. Never going to build a premiership list with rubbish deals like that.

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Jesus...

That club is a rabble.

$400,000/year.  Not that big a deal in the scheme of things, I'd have thought.

• Like 1