Who are the Dees chasing for 2017 and at what cost?

junk

Jeez I hope we don't give up anymore than a 3rd rounder for Hibberd if we go after him, he's 27 in January, only has 2-3 years at his best, which isn't that great, left. He's no Bernie Vince.

Edited by TheoX
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, stuie said:

Caleb Marchbank apparently wants back home to Vic.

Would suit our needs and we have a good trade relationship with GWS.

Personally, I'd be interested in Marchbank (key back), Tomlinson (swingman) and Hoskin-Elliot (outside mid) as far as our needs go.

Like Marchbank

Edited by samcantstandya
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheoX said:

Jeez I hope we don't give up anymore than a 3rd rounder for Hibberd if we go after him, he's 27 in January, only has 2-3 years at his best, which isn't that great, left. He's no Bernie Vince.

True but I hope we do get him. Not many half backs average as many touches as he does. We need experience and some proven players... we will likely cut Grimes, Dawes and maybe even Dunn. So while none are losses ability wise, they have played a lot of footy and been in the system a long time.

Melksham and Hibberd (if he comes) will be important players for us.

Edited by Petraccattack

With the likelyhood that Dunn and Grimes will be leaving us at years end and the serious possibility Trengove, Garland, Dawes and Pederson might join them

we are going to be seriously light on in three main areas going into the draft Rucks, Key backs and experienced forwards

and with the possibility of T'mac and Hogan potentially leaving within the next two years, we need this to be a very active off season to try and at least get some stop gaps in to cover the losses/potential losses, 

15 hours ago, Abe said:

With the likelyhood that Dunn and Grimes will be leaving us at years end and the serious possibility Trengove, Garland, Dawes and Pederson might join them

we are going to be seriously light on in three main areas going into the draft Rucks, Key backs and experienced forwards

and with the possibility of T'mac and Hogan potentially leaving within the next two years, we need this to be a very active off season to try and at least get some stop gaps in to cover the losses/potential losses, 

I also wouldn't be surprised if Lumumba retires. I have no inside knowledge and I'm not a proponent for or opposing the idea, but I would have thought older players getting lingering concussions might consider whether continuing to play was in their best longterm interests. 

• Like 1

If we lose Dunn, Garland, Grimes, Dawes, Lumumba, Pederson and Trengove this year we lose about 850 games experience all at once.  Our whole list has only played about 2,500 total! 

We may get experienced players in to offset some of that loss but we can't lose that much experience.  Guys like that still have a role to play to mentor our young guys at Casey from time to time.  I have a vivid memory of the pics of Lumumba and Garland consoling Brayshaw and Petracca at different times.  Not to mention helping the young guys at Casey win games so they get 'that winning feeling' and the confidence gained from it. 

We are desperately short of experience in the seniors - lets not compound it by throwing out all the experience we have at Casey.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If we lose Dunn, Garland, Grimes, Dawes, Lumumba, Pederson and Trengove this year we lose about 850 games experience all at once.  Our whole list has only played about 2,500 total! 

We may get experienced players in to offset some of that loss but we can't lose that much experience.  Guys like that still have a role to play to mentor our young guys at Casey from time to time.  I have a vivid memory of the pics of Lumumba and Garland consoling Brayshaw and Petracca at different times.  Not to mention helping the young guys at Casey win games so they get 'that winning feeling' and the confidence gained from it. 

We are desperately short of experience in the seniors - lets not compound it by throwing out all the experience we have at Casey.

I think this narrative comes from the fear of a repeat of 2008-2011, where we flushed out experience very quickly and were left with no experience that was partly the reason for that rebuild's demise.

I think the situation currently is completely different. Guys like Dunn and Garland aren't winners. Trengove and Dawes are clubman and should be retained imo, Pederson might unfortunately be moved on. All of the experience on our team bar Vince, H, Dawes don't have deep finals experience, and as it stands most are list cloggers. We gain no benefit from having them on our list. The "experience" issue was present when we were getting rid of Neitz, Yze, White, McDonald, Bruce all within a 2 year period. That was significant. But our current "experienced" crop wouldn't be missed.

Besides, we are far better placed with "leadership" as it stands. Viney, Tyson, Hogan, McDonald, Gawn, Watts are all already leaders of the club and contribute more on game day than guys with 150-200+ games. 

Dunn, Grimes, Garland and Trengove are all I fear on their last AFL contracts. And I think it's time to move them on.

Edited by praha
  • Like 1

well garland is staying as he'll have two years left on his deal, and i can't see another club taking him.

we need to add class to our side as our skills are really sloppy. if we can get a hibberd in for a second rounder, that's ideal. there's no way he's worth a future first round pick next year - it's meant to be a strong group coming through next year.

i'd really like weller from freo and koladjnij from gc17, in addition to prestia and hibberd.

how we'd get them all in i have no idea.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

well garland is staying as he'll have two years left on his deal, and i can't see another club taking him.

we need to add class to our side as our skills are really sloppy. if we can get a hibberd in for a second rounder, that's ideal. there's no way he's worth a future first round pick next year - it's meant to be a strong group coming through next year.

i'd really like weller from freo and koladjnij from gc17, in addition to prestia and hibberd.

And I'd really like to win the lottery.

We won't get rid of Garland or Dunn unless a team wants to trade for them (Unlikely). Probably keep one of Dawes/Pedo, won't get rid of both in the same year. Grimes, Terlich and White have their papers stamped.

I only see us as major players in the trade period if TMac and/or Jesse go. We keep those two and we just won't have the currency for anything big (Hibberd for a 2nd rounder will happen though).

6 minutes ago, schmuttt said:

We won't get rid of Garland or Dunn unless a team wants to trade for them (Unlikely). Probably keep one of Dawes/Pedo, won't get rid of both in the same year. Grimes, Terlich and White have their papers stamped.

I only see us as major players in the trade period if TMac and/or Jesse go. We keep those two and we just won't have the currency for anything big (Hibberd for a 2nd rounder will happen though).

We can still trade a future first rounder. Will be interesting to see Goodwin's philosophy one draft picks as opposed to Roos'.

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Agree and it's hard to know how many of those guys will go...

Depends on who is interested in coming to us I suppose and who the club thinks is a realistic target.

We're at the stage now where we need some really consistent and experienced guys to fill holes and if we do it in a smart way like GWS have done, we'll be a chance for the 8 next year.

I'm hoping this off-season will be the game-changer for us.

On 25 July 2016 at 5:25 PM, Petraccattack said:

True but I hope we do get him. Not many half backs average as many touches as he does. We need experience and some proven players... we will likely cut Grimes, Dawes and maybe even Dunn. So while none are losses ability wise, they have played a lot of footy and been in the system a long time.

Melksham and Hibberd (if he comes) will be important players for us.

Dunn is contracted ! He maybe traded but will not be cut !

On 25 July 2016 at 6:10 PM, Abe said:

Garland is contracted for 2 more years ! How many contacted players do you guys want to cut !

11 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if Lumumba retires. I have no inside knowledge and I'm not a proponent for or opposing the idea, but I would have thought older players getting lingering concussions might consider whether continuing to play was in their best longterm interests. 

H is contracted, why not offer up some other contracted players to cut, Viney, Brayshaw, N. Jones !!!!

On 7/26/2016 at 9:37 PM, Viscount Cardwell said:

Garland is contracted for 2 more years ! How many contacted players do you guys want to cut !

Doesn't have to be cut, but i am pretty certain if another club expressed interest the Dees would look at a trade, he's not looked like getting a game for most of the season and our young key backs look pretty good.

9 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

I'd really like Dangerfield and Martin, obviously we should be targeting them, give me a break !!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Abe said:

Doesn't have to be cut, but i am pretty certain if another club expressed interest the Dees would look at a trade, he's not looked like getting a game for most of the season and our young key backs look pretty good.

If you don't want garland, how many clubs will be lining up for him, obviously hawthorn and Geelong will give a first round or early second round pick for someone you believe is useless, or will you be happy with a late fourth rounder ?

6 minutes ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

If you don't want garland, how many clubs will be lining up for him, obviously hawthorn and Geelong will give a first round or early second round pick for someone you believe is useless, or will you be happy with a late fourth rounder ?

What is Nathan Buckley prepared to give? 

Edited by johndemons

Bachar Houli hasn't re-signed. Interested? Garland + Dawes for Houli and Vickory? I'd take it in a heart beat, even throw in a late draft pick sweetener. Though maybe they're still interested in Trengove as he's now passed the foot examination and would be interested in him for Houli ? Anyway, they'll need salary cap space if they're to fit in the big fish they're trying to land.

Dawes + Garland for Vickery

Trengove for Houli

Edited by johndemons
  • Like 1