How many wins will we end up with in 2016

junk

Mr and Mrs Meggs are going to Darwin.  I sincerely hope you are right OD, it will be much more enjoyable trip if we beat Freo.

Fingers Crossed

3 minutes ago, old dee said:

The number is TEN.

they are Freo, Saints, GCS and Carlton.

On 12/06/2016 at 2:15 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

I think Bolton is underestimated. 

Carlton's list was a total mess but they are winning. 

People keep telling me our list is better. On paper only as of today. 

I don't give a flying fcuk about next year. I have next year to worry about that. 

I want to see The MFC TASTE finals in 2016

2017 could be totally different

(remember preseason '95)

I don't give a flying fcuk about making finals. 

I want to see the MFC TASTE premiership glory in the next 5-10 years. Multiple times preferably.

• Like 3

Some people on here need to get a grip. Seriously.

The back six has 4 players who have played around 10 games or less. O Mc, Wagner, Hunt, Frost.

Oh Dear we're not playing finals this year. Oh Oh Oh it's like this every year. Blah Blah Blah!  Give me a frickin break. We are now where we should have been in Bailey's third year. It's not Roos's fault all those years were stuffed up. He's going to leave the place with a list that is going to be competitive. It's not his fault most of that list will be two years old when he leaves. Of the 15 players left on the list when he arrived at least 6 can't get a game. Dunn, Terlich, M Jones, Grimes, Garland, Pedersen.  So he's built a list in three years with a start of 9 players. And they are not all in the best 9.  

Jones has gone to another level of leadership this season. His contested work is incredible. There's no one I'd rather have with the ball kicking a Captain's goal at a clutch moment. I agree there seems to be an issue lately with some of his disposals being shockers but don't ignore everything else because of it.

Believe me, I'm as frustrated as anyone. That loss to the Bombers sticks in my craw now as much as it did on the day. But to ignore the improvement and the fact it's the youngest team playing at the moment week to week is ridiculous.

I think we'll end up with around 9-10 wins. We're just too young to do much better this year. Finals this year were always going to be very unlikely. Next year is when we should be seriously talking finals.

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 12

23 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Some people on here need to get a grip. Seriously.

The back six has 4 players who have played around 10 games or less. O Mc, Wagner, Hunt, Frost.

Oh Dear we're not playing finals this year. Oh Oh Oh it's like this every year. Blah Blah Blah!  Give me a frickin break. We are now where we should have been in Bailey's third year. It's not Roos's fault all those years were stuffed up. He's going to leave the place with a list that is going to be competitive. It's not his fault most of that list will be two years old when he leaves. Of the 15 players left on the list when he arrived at least 6 can't get a game. Dunn, Terlich, M Jones, Grimes, Garland, Pedersen.  So he's built a list in three years with a start of 9 players. And they are not all in the best 9.  

Jones has gone to another level of leadership this season. His contested work is incredible. There's no one I'd rather have with the ball kicking a Captain's goal at a clutch moment. I agree there seems to be an issue lately with some of his disposals being shockers but don't ignore everything else because of it.

Believe me, I'm as frustrated as anyone. That loss to the Bombers sticks in my craw now as much as it did on the day. But to ignore the improvement and the fact it's the youngest team playing at the moment week to week is ridiculous.

I think we'll end up with around 9-10 wins. We're just too young to do much better this year. Finals this year were always going to be very unlikely. Next year is when we should be seriously talking finals.

Spot on It's Time

10 wins for me.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You think we can win the flag this year?

No but we can taste finals if the players really want it. 

Much easier to keep the good players at the club and attract guns from others if the players show hunger now. 

We should have beaten the Hawks. But they were not prepared to hurt enough to do it. They have to take that leap...

Edited by Sir Why You Little

We are probably not going to win much more especially if the tracks are wet. We are highly unlkely to get a big scalp after watching the Swans match. Have we improved considering our soft draw, I would at this stage say no however Collingwood and Richmond have gone backwards and that makes us look good.

• Like 2

On 11 June 2016 at 9:34 AM, ENYAW said:

We should beat Freo,Carlton,St.kilda and the Gold Coast. Adelaide at home a possibility. Collingwood a possibility,Hawthorn no way. Swans slight chance along with Cats.W'Coast no and Port slight chance. We could end up with a min of 10 wins,unless we can take out a top side Hawks,Swans then I would say we havn't improved a great deal. For a team to become a better team they should play the top sides more often than play weaker ones. 

Saints? The annihilated us last time. Can't see much changing next time around

On 12 June 2016 at 7:25 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

No its the senior players including our captain not playing smart football

BEING THE LEADERS OUR KIDS NEED

We have been through this all before. 

The cycle is yet to be broken and Roos is gone in 3 months....

This cycle can only be broken by bringing in quality leaders/experience (who are amazing by foot, preferably lefties!) next year SW.

If Simon, the club/FD are still promoting their 'games into the kids' policy for 2017 I would be extremely worried about any significant improvement on this year.

With such a young/inexperienced list (overall) there is a ceiling on how far the young fellas can take us with the few experienced seniors we have at present. By continuing to do so In 2017 this will also offer an easy 'out' when the losses are flowing with "it's still a comparatively young list, we have a long way to go and there'll always be some ups and downs" mantra.

Only by breaking the 'youth' nexis in the coming drafts and balancing out the list from being too "youth" heavy into a balanced mix of youth (sub 50/60 games), some mature developing players (60-100) and more experience/veterans (100/150 plus) will we start to see some break out wins (including away matches) against the likes of the Hawks, Port, Weagles, Swans etc.

If we don't act on this and get some serious experienced talent in then I would be expecting only a minor improvement on this year. 

If I'm being completely honest I'm penning in only one more pretty certain win against Gold Coast at the G and a 'Maybe' against the Blues at the G after that. That's a possible 2 wins for 8 wins this year (max). But It also wouldn't surprise me to see us only get the one more against GCS for a total of 7.

If we had a more balanced/talented top end in this list I would be much more optimistic. Maybe next year!

5 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

This cycle can only be broken by bringing in quality leaders/experience (who are amazing by foot, preferably lefties!) next year SW.

If Simon, the club/FD are still promoting their 'games into the kids' policy for 2017 I would be extremely worried about any significant improvement on this year.

With such a young/inexperienced list (overall) there is a ceiling on how far the young fellas can take us with the few experienced seniors we have at present. By continuing to do so In 2017 this will also offer an easy 'out' when the losses are flowing with "it's still a comparatively young list, we have a long way to go and there'll always be some ups and downs" mantra.

Only by breaking the 'youth' nexis in the coming drafts and balancing out the list from being too "youth" heavy into a balanced mix of youth (sub 50/60 games), some mature developing players (60-100) and more experience/veterans (100/150 plus) will we start to see some break out wins (including away matches) against the likes of the Hawks, Port, Weagles, Swans etc.

If we don't act on this and get some serious experienced talent in then I would be expecting only a minor improvement on this year. 

If I'm being completely honest I'm penning in only one more pretty certain win against Gold Coast at the G and a 'Maybe' against the Blues at the G after that. That's a possible 2 wins for 8 wins this year (max). But It also wouldn't surprise me to see us only get the one more against GCS for a total of 7.

If we had a more balanced/talented top end in this list I would be much more optimistic. Maybe next year!

Yes balance is the key

What Dean Bailey didn't have

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes balance is the key

What Dean Bailey didn't have

We played exciting footy under Bailey. In hindsight he also did it with some seriously average players. 

You may also like to note that he wasn't given enough time to achieve the balance you speak of.

Imagine what might have been with some decent recruiting. 

We also had immature senior players disrespect his authority. The players with their heads screwed on loved him.

All this, plus the fact he was barely allowed to make many decisions, with a seriously flawed FD and heirachy at the time.

Back on topic, if we keep putting games into the younger recruits at all costs, I think they will tire as the year goes on. I can't see us winning more than 10-11 this year.  I hope they have learnt from playing Brayshaw into the ground last year....

Edited by DeeMfc

2 hours ago, DeeMfc said:

We played exciting footy under Bailey. In hindsight he also did it with some seriously average players. 

You may also like to note that he wasn't given enough time to achieve the balance you speak of.

Imagine what might have been with some decent recruiting. 

We also had immature senior players disrespect his authority. The players with their heads screwed on loved him.

All this, plus the fact he was barely allowed to make many decisions, with a seriously flawed FD and heirachy at the time.

Back on topic, if we keep putting games into the younger recruits at all costs, I think they will tire as the year goes on. I can't see us winning more than 10-11 this year.  I hope they have learnt from playing Brayshaw into the ground last year....

We do need to recruit senior players this year

10 wins for me, I can see us sneaking an unexpected win but regressing again for another unexpected loss. We'll finish 9th-10th.

• Like 2

One or two more wins for 7 or 8 in the season would be an unmitigated disaster for the club, supporters and Paul Roos' legacy.

And it won't happen.

We could win 4 of our next 5.  

Nine is the bare minimum.  I think it will be between 9-11.

• Like 4

Here is a pretty fair assessment of our year so far and expectations for the rest of the year:  http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/melbourne-midseason-report-card-can-the-demons-notch-10-wins-in-2016/news-story/8ce0d3056ac192539018a67fd3feb688 Their conclusion: IT’S vitally important Melbourne continues on its current trajectory in the remaining nine games. In the past two seasons the Demons have fallen in a heap after the bye period, but they can’t afford to do after making such progress this season. Games against Fremantle, St Kilda, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and Carlton should provide enough opportunity to hit 10 wins.

With so many young guys there is a risk of a fade out but the return of Lumumba; Kennedy and Bugg in the side; a rested Brayshaw; Viney, Tyson and co with another year under their belt and judicious resting, I think we can avoid it.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero