POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 5

Demonland

23 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Richmond came to play, their season on the line.  They challenged us multiple times yet, like the Pies last week, we were never headed once we kicked the opening goal. There's room for improvement but it was still a good win. And now we get to see the blowtorch on Hardwick this week

Well what a night it was, fabulous start with the four horseman with the flame, lighting the cauldron, the Last Post hauntingly beautiful, both teams running through the banner together. A tough hard contest by both sides but with Our Boys dominating every stat except tackles (broke even), we kicked away with brilliant play they dragged us back with some help from the umps, however, when ever we were challenged we were able to rally through great team work and individual efforts. I found it exhilarating and to be up in the stands surrounded by all those happy excited faces that I have become so familiar with over the years and to hear them all celebrating every effort and every goal right up until the end and then the joy of singing our 'Song" over and over again until the team finally went down the race. Getting out of the car park was a nightmare but good opportunity to listen to the commentators praising our team for a change. When we finally got home we watched the last quarter then went off to bed with a great inner glow. Go you mighty Demons!!!!

• Like 11

8 hours ago, AdamFarr said:

I really don't want to get into an argument about this, because I know we disagree politically, but... let me say this. Goodes was certainly capable of doggery on the field. I didn't particularly like him as a player, but acknowledged his footballing brilliance. However... the 'person x is divisive' line is usually code for 'this challenges my status as the majority'. The booing of Adam Goodes had something else at play here and I know from having read your previous posts for the last 7 or 8 years that you're aware of this. 

I hope I'm not jumping down the rabbit-hole here... :P 

Another irrelevant post.

The question was asked who had been booed as much and I gave an answer.  

I can't be bothered analysing the reasons why and the question didn't require the reasons why; just who...

Edited by ProDee

9 hours ago, stranga said:

Lumumba has been fantastic. Ferocious intensity, run and dare and attack.  I'm happy to sacrifice the odd error or holding the ball for what he provides. Compare him to a grimes or garland? 

He may seem a bit reckless but a Big part of the attacking game plan is based on risk taking.

My wife reckons he runs like he is holding a ticking bomb and not the ball. That's exactly how he looks sorta crazy!!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, AdamFarr said:

Dom Tyson. 31 disposals, 2 goals, both of them when the heat was on. Was consistent for almost the entire game. 

3 - Viney

2 - Tyson

1 - Gawn

Not a great fan of Tyson over time but really impressed by his game on Sunday, small piece of humble pie please.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BarnDee said:

watched game sun nite , wow  watched again tonight even better now my first grandson was born 2 weeks ago he was claimed as demon at 3 hours old lil jumpsuit etc was 8 .8 lbs  a big bubba and he has seen us not  lose yet , and his name  MAXWELL  woohoo

My niece and her hubby are due to have their first bub next week. Her husband texts me after each game with a name to run past me. So far this season its been Hogan, Dom, Jack and Maxy. I suggested Bernie as well for good measure.

Congrats on your new grandson. May the next generation of Dee supporters keep coming.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AdamFarr said:

I'd hope that Melksham will allow Salem to play on a wing, so then what you're doing is putting pressure on the mids and half forwards to keep their form up. Whilst I've never rated him, if Goodwin and McCartney can turn Melksham around, he is definitely a goal kicker, no matter where he plays. More goal-scoring power once again.

I've gotta be honest and paraphrase that oft re-quoted Mark Neeldism and say I really didn't see our turn in form coming. We haven't beaten really strong teams yet, but I now believe we can. The leap in just four weeks from a psychological perspective is almost staggering. It's a credit to the players and to the FD. Not only should we beat St Kilda, I think we will beat St Kilda. Exciting times.

Momentum is critical in footy. Thats why the pre-season was so important.

Loved Lamumbas run all game and the too far call by umpire was wrong as he took 12 steps after a bounce , in the mallee to see Hunt run at Vickory full pace and front him into the ground was astonishing . Bugg Hunt Harmes Kennedy all have the balls we have been lacking . Viney is in another league and Vandenberg is another . I reckon Oliver and Trac are hard at it also . The future . Tough demons

• Like 6

8 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Here's an interesting little stat for us.  Jack Watts is currently equal ninth in the league goalkicking.  That puts him level with Ben Brown, Jack Darling and Nick Reiwoldt and only one behind Jack Reiwoldt.  Still well behind Tom Lynch, but I think it's worth noting. 

Apparantly we are the most accurate team in front of goal in the afl . Wattsy is the man . 

• Like 3

On 4/24/2016 at 10:47 PM, Rafiki said:

How can you pay deliberate out of bounds when they are being tackled and they kick it 30+ meters

The same way they pay it against Vince the other week for missing his target by hand while being tackled, cost us a goal that time!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CityDee said:

Loved Lamumbas run all game and the too far call by umpire was wrong as he took 12 steps after a bounce

He did run too far. 12 steps is well over 15 metres for a bloke of his size.

Players run too far every match and are rarely pulled up for it. He was unlucky. But he did run too far.

26 minutes ago, CityDee said:

Apparantly we are the most accurate team in front of goal in the afl . Wattsy is the man . 

Regrettably we would be even more accurate if we took Hogan out of the stat.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

The same way they pay it against Vince the other week for missing his target by hand while being tackled, cost us a goal that time!

This deliberate rule is an absolute farce. Hopefully repealed for 2017

• Like 3

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 1:27 AM, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

No, which is why I suspect it was a goal.

Therein lies another more serious, complex, and sinister take on those umpires in question. Were they instructed to get a more "popular" team over the line, quietly....

1 hour ago, Ted Fidge said:

He did run too far. 12 steps is well over 15 metres for a bloke of his size.

Players run too far every match and are rarely pulled up for it. He was unlucky. But he did run too far.

Not Lumumba's steps - his running style is that he runs up and down and when you watch carefully his steps are quite small. And when you watch the replay it is pretty clear he hasn't covered that much ground.

No way that was too far.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

I paid a bit of attention to this conversation between Riewoldt and the umpire on the replay. I thought Riewoldt said " watch Pederson " I went back to the replay of Riewoldt's goal and Pederson wasn't anywhere near him. I may be wrong, but that's what I reckon I heard.

Riewoldts' access to the umpires is only surpassed by their access to Channel 7, and just as unmitigated.

Every time Lumumba has the ball I have my heart in my mouth, i love his run particularly when he is in the clear because it can be so inspirational, however, I get very frustrated when he tries to do it with opposition players around him forcing a turnover. I would like him to be selective with his run and smarter with his ball use, but I am resigned to the fact that this is unlikely to happen. He is  more the athlete than the thinking footballer.

On 4/24/2016 at 7:54 AM, juzzk1d said:

Suprised noone has mentioned Morris throwing his head backwards when he got tackled around the waist in Richmond's forward fifty.

I absolutely hate seeing this and I went mental at the ground when I saw it happen. Players should get a warning and if it happens again suspended for a week. 

North wouldn't be able to field a team if that was the case. :P

• Like 1

On 4/25/2016 at 10:36 AM, Rusty Nails said:

Lumumba did NOT run too far in that great run around Reiwoldt early in the first. Ump stuffed that badly (would never be called against any other power club!!). Great Job H

Exactly. I counted ten steps after he took that first bounce.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2016 at 11:45 AM, special robert said:

By the way what happened to with the hand pass /kick out after a behind?? Who was it?

I don't mind it. The problem is it was being so inconsistently ruled. It was being paid against us and not them. If you know what you're getting every time, I don't mind the rule. If you're unsure whether it'll be paid and it isn't consistent, that's where it's shambolic. 

3 hours ago, CityDee said:

Jacky has been shooting the lights out for goal, 2 weeks in a row from a sharp angle in the left fwd pocket at the city end. GOOOAAALLL!!!! He is just so confident in his ability to kick goals from almost anywhere and from distance where in the past he looked to offload as the first, second and third options now he has a look but goes back to have the shot most times.

• Like 2

I think we are turning the ball over far more than last year but I am not unduly fazed by that. With great adventure comes more risk.

Last year we were chipping backwards defensively across the ground then stopping and then chipping back the other way and stopping. Very little hard run and spread down the field - this meant low inside 50 counts and low scores.

A more attacking mindset comes with the caveat that you the risk of turnover is greater and we are seeing that. But I am a great supporter of continuing the mindset as we have such competitive beasts playing that whilst we may get burned by some turnovers ( which we are ) we are also winning back our fair share of ball as well.

• Like 7