Training - Friday 22 April, 2016

MadAsHell

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

Hopefully this is entirely tongue-in-cheek. I'm not usually reactive but find just the suggestion particularly insulting. A teenager working hard enough to reach the top of his draft class and then spending a year rehabbing a knee injury before missing out on selection is not a reasonable opportunity to take a swipe at an entire generation.

I feel for the next gen.

House prices ridiculous.

Meaningful jobs non existent .

Corporations taking every crumb on the table.

Football is about the only time we can truly say they get a good run and myriad opportunies to further themselves .

• Like 2

Not sure I follow these posts. I was there this morning for the second half of the session and saw no dissention or angst. I think they are good to go, especially Jeffy Gartlett. Christian will have to take his turn, although I do question the wisdom of naming him when you don't intend playing him, particularly when all the feedback is he is itching to go. Much better IMHO to hold him back for another week and unleash him when he is ready. 

I'm sure he is, in his own mind, comparing his treatment to Brayshaw and Oliver - they were fast tracked much quicker than him, but I would suggest are well below his quality. 

We need to be patient in these things, and trust the club, but it is exciting to have such potential!

6 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Well if we all thought selection was going to be interesting this week. What about next week?  CP5 will be banging the door down and probably won't be ignored. Clarry will have had his week off. One is a half forward/midfielder the other is a midfielder. So you wouldn't think someone like a Hunt or Wagner would make way as they're not playing in the same position. So who is going to make way. I would have to say that thus far Brayshaw has been very underwhelming. Unless he lifts his performance considerably this week he could be one. Maybe Harmesy will get a break. It's going to be a very interesting selection meeting.

Gees.....How about we get through this week first?.........Before we start dropping players for the St Kilda games.........You don't know what injuries and form that will come out of Sundays game......Talk about getting ahead of ourselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

I love the wild imagination of some on here. One photo of Garland's arm around him and it's "he can sook off in to the VFL...", "he's probably ripping apart a yelliw pages" (?!) and even "his whole generation are sooks"!

More likely: he was told yesterday that he wouldn't play, Jeffy is fit, and ANB is the resting emergency, and all his attention and focus goes to the Casey game tomorrow night, just as it has every week so far. I know that probably isn't as exciting though.

I am not sure where I read it, but apparently Petracca has been inundating Roos with text messages that he is ready to go !

And I didn't read too much into the picture of Garland and Petracca - I sorta read that in 18 years time we are going to have a father son selection that is a powerhouse and explosive, can on the odd occasion take a good intercept mark and is prone to the odd brainfade in the back half of the ground ( too far ?)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

Hopefully this is entirely tongue-in-cheek. I'm not usually reactive but find just the suggestion particularly insulting. A teenager working hard enough to reach the top of his draft class and then spending a year rehabbing a knee injury before missing out on selection is not a reasonable opportunity to take a swipe at an entire generation.

agreed  - but is there a more fun pastime than taking a swipe at an entire generation ( you young whippersnapper)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Of course, if we lose against Richmond I'm sure Demonlanders will find no shortage of players to demote, along with Paul Roos, Dave Misson and even Saty.

especially Saty

17 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Well if we all thought selection was going to be interesting this week. What about next week?  CP5 will be banging the door down and probably won't be ignored. Clarry will have had his week off. One is a half forward/midfielder the other is a midfielder. So you wouldn't think someone like a Hunt or Wagner would make way as they're not playing in the same position. So who is going to make way. I would have to say that thus far Brayshaw has been very underwhelming. Unless he lifts his performance considerably this week he could be one. Maybe Harmesy will get a break. It's going to be a very interesting selection meeting.

Nothing better than having an in-form 22 plus a host of other talent banging the door down in the reserves. I haven't seen it for years.

The beauty of having players like Brayshaw, Vince, Oliver, Petracca etc is that they're all multi-positional players. If Hunt or Wagner were to make way, Vince would slot to a half-back with Clayton to play a mid/forward role. Brayshaw can play back, middle and forward. We have so many options. That's the really exciting thing. 

At the moment, it's clear we're trialing different back-line outfits. Having Wagner and Hunt playing back there and a senior leader who's a backman playing reserves is proof of that. I think we look settled everywhere but the back-line at the minute. It's holding up, but clearly the coaching group are trying to get a really cohesive back-six who possess a diversity of attributes suited to the modern game. 

We're in a really really positive place and to have guys like Petracca, Weid and Trengove all being made to be one-hundred percent fit and firing before they get a game is hugely significant for their development and confidence and our club at large.

It's early days yet, but the Essendon loss may have just been what we needed. (As much as I hate those sayings).

There's a time where a young team turn a corner and take-over as the new breed and I reckon we're seeing more and more glimpses.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Nothing better than having an in-form 22 plus a host of other talent banging the door down in the reserves. I haven't seen it for years.

The beauty of having players like Brayshaw, Vince, Oliver, Petracca etc is that they're all multi-positional players. If Hunt or Wagner were to make way, Vince would slot to a half-back with Clayton to play a mid/forward role. Brayshaw can play back, middle and forward. We have so many options. That's the really exciting thing. 

At the moment, it's clear we're trialing different back-line outfits. Having Wagner and Hunt playing back there and a senior leader who's a backman playing reserves is proof of that. I think we look settled everywhere but the back-line at the minute. It's holding up, but clearly the coaching group are trying to get a really cohesive back-six who possess a diversity of attributes suited to the modern game. 

We're in a really really positive place and to have guys like Petracca, Weid and Trengove all being made to be one-hundred percent fit and firing is hugely significant for our club. 

It's early days yet, but the Essendon loss may have just been what we needed. (As much as I hate those sayings).

There's a time where a young team turn a corner and take-over as the new breed and I reckon we're seeing more and more glimpses.

The recession we had to have.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

Not sure I follow these posts. I was there this morning for the second half of the session and saw no dissention or angst. I think they are good to go, especially Jeffy Gartlett. Christian will have to take his turn, although I do question the wisdom of naming him when you don't intend playing him, 

What about the explanation given that if Jeffy doesn't get up the Petracca was a chance to debut.

I suspect Garland was not in the best 3 in the VFL but was the best tall and therefore he was named as emergency in case something happens to a tall.

I suspect that ANB was named as he was the best midfielder in VFL and therefore if a midfielder goes out before Sunday he would get the call up.

I suspect that Petracca was named in the event that Gartlett doesn't play, ( more than suspect - Roos, Mahoney have almost said as much)

Whilst we may not at the emergencies all that closely I am positive the match committee does.

It is not about feelings - it is about what is best for team.

They then go to match day and leave out a couple of the emergencies out of the Casey game the night before in case of last minute problems and I suspect on Saturday night that Petracca will play but ANB won't as they will want to get another week of match conditions into Petracca whereas ANB can afford to miss.

Edited by nutbean

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

Just now, nutbean said:

agreed  - but is there a more fun pastime than taking a swipe at an entire generation ( you young whippersnapper)

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

I love the wild imagination of some on here. One photo of Garland's arm around him and it's "he can sook off in to the VFL...", "he's probably ripping apart a yelliw pages" (?!) and even "his whole generation are sooks"!

More likely: he was told yesterday that he wouldn't play, Jeffy is fit, and ANB is the resting emergency, and all his attention and focus goes to the Casey game tomorrow night, just as it has every week so far. I know that probably isn't as exciting though.

I agree Nutty, there is always time to take a swipe at an entire generation, just depends if the generation in question can take a joke, like AW did.

While it was slightly tongue in cheek, i do believe i did not include the WHOLE generation, the ones i know are spoilt little brats that think the world owes them everything, and NOW.

And it would be nice if a certain Primary Administrator of this board would read post properly before making up quotes, and we are the ones with wild imaginations.

Questions have been asked re Stretch and Joel Smith....does anyone know the reason either of these two arn't playing.Please advise?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, P-man said:

So why are they actually holding back Petracca? 

If it's still about teaching him a lesson I'd be a little annoyed tbh. Enough games. If he's fit, let the boy play.

In your wildest dreams, if the match committee think they have the next boy wonder on their hands, do you think they would not be playing him to teach him a lesson for something that happened almost 3 months ago ?

Just a query fellas.

nut, I would hope not. Not exactly a hangable offence to begin with in my view. A little silly and regrettable at worst.

VFL form and training suggest he's ready to go. If that is the case, and it's not teaching him a lesson, would it not be something of a double standard with Oliver given his opportunity from the off?

38 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

And it would be nice if a certain Primary Administrator of this board would read post properly before making up quotes, and we are the ones with wild imaginations.

Hey, everyone else is allowed to skim-read and misinterpret mosts, why can't I? :D

(Apologies if I did indeed do this.)

Just now, Nasher said:

Hey, everyone else is allowed to skim-read and misinterpret mosts, why can't I? :D

(Apologies if I did indeed do this.)

I think it was in your Hippocratic oath that you took when you signed on to the massive responsibility to have such power at Demonland.

(Apology accepted, but only out of fear for being smited.)

59 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

I agree Nutty, there is always time to take a swipe at an entire generation, just depends if the generation in question can take a joke, like AW did.

While it was slightly tongue in cheek, i do believe i did not include the WHOLE generation, the ones i know are spoilt little brats that think the world owes them everything, and NOW.

I was just tetchy and having a sook because I want Petracca in the team NOW! The Demons bloody owe me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nutbean said:

They then go to match day and leave out a couple of the emergencies out of the Casey game the night before in case of last minute problems and I suspect on Saturday night that Petracca will play but ANB won't as they will want to get another week of match conditions into Petracca whereas ANB can afford to miss.

ANB also missed most of the preseason also, so it'd be a shame if he misses a week of footy completely as well. 
The whole having to carry over at least one emergency denying them match practice is not good, Stretch goes from almost hero in Hobart, to not playing football at all the next week due to being the standby. And now he's not even in the seniors or the selected Casey team mysteriously..

55 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Because skim milk is healthier than full cream milk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P-man said:

VFL form and training suggest he's ready to go.

From the little I've seen of the grainy footage from the Casey games I'm not sure he's ready to go. My feeling seeing that footage was he could still do with another week. I spoke to some people who saw the game last weekend and they thought he needed more work on his disposal. Another week probably isn't a bad thing. 

• Like 2