Christian Salem

Ted Lasso

Hate putting up a slightly negative topic after such a good win but it's been bothering me for a while, i don't believe Salem is working at half back. 

in his first year playing across half forward we saw an extremely creative and dangerous young playing with great skills and goal sense, now while he has transferred some of those attributes across half back, i just feel he's playing well below what he's capable in an attacking sense and he's not a great defender and opposition teams know it.

I understand the importance of good ball users in defense and how important that is to our ball movement and game plan but i really think it's time to get Christian up the ground a bit more and let Wagner and go take up the mantle, Jesse loves when Jack watts delivers the ball to him, imagine having both Watts and Salem doing that on a regular basis.

thoughts?

• Like 4

I thought his game on the weekend was quite strong and he looked more comfortable.

Personally I'm happy to leave him there rotating on the wings with Vince.

Plus with his hamstring problems last season he may not be quite ready for a full midfield role.

Edited by Is Dom Is Good
  • Like 2

Has been underwhelming so far this year, but hoping he finds his groove and gets a bit more of the ball. If there was one player you'd want to have the ball 25 times a game, it would have to be Christian Salem (or Watts).

Plus, he's hurting my supercoach side.

• Like 4

Just now, Django said:

Has been underwhelming so far this year, but hoping he finds his groove and gets a bit more of the ball. If there was one player you'd want to have the ball 25 times a game, it would have to be Christian Salem (or Watts).

Plus, he's hurting my supercoach side.

Stick with him Django, reckon he will explode over the coming weeks.

I've got him in my Ultimate footy draft league so I feel your pain!

I think his last 2 weeks have been pretty solid, but I still feel like he is capable of more. Last year against GWS in the final round was a good example of what he is capable of, where he just impacted the game so much.

Even as it stands at the moment, if he plays like he has for the last 2 weeks, with the odd big game like that one against GWS, then he is a more than handy player, but I just think he can be better.

• Like 2

Just now, Forest Demon said:

I think his last 2 weeks have been pretty solid, but I still feel like he is capable of more. Last year against GWS in the final round was a good example of what he is capable of, where he just impacted the game so much.

Even as it stands at the moment, if he plays like he has for the last 2 weeks, with the odd big game like that one against GWS, then he is a more than handy player, but I just think he can be better.

Agreed. If his last two weeks are any indication he is slowly building towards some form. His game against North was his best to date where he drifted forward at times and was damaging.

Reliable kicks coming out of the back half are crucial so I'm happy for him to stay where he is for now. He may be a slow burn but the quality is obvious.

He's going ok imo, but he still has a couple of gears left.  Just slowly building confidence in his body and playing a role that probably isn't his natural 'go'.  

I had a horrible split second heart flutter on Sunday when he was trying to run down Varcoe, and he lost his footing and went to ground.  I thought later that his lunge at Varcoe would have been a good test for his hammies, and fortunately they held up well.  

• Like 1

Got turned and burned by Varcoe on the southern stand wing. Otherwise does very well in one on ones, is composed with the ball and has been an important part in getting balance to the side. Sticks key tackles when required.

I'd love him forward but consider at half forward we have:

Kennedy - going really well
Harmes - great tackle and pressure player doing his job
Kent - up and down but the ups the last 6 quarters have been really good
Brayshaw - just getting back to fitness but is a class player
Petracca - building fitness in the VFL and ready to impact when he gets a chance
Vanders and JKH - injured, both shown promise at AFL level

At half back we have:

Vince - gun, but needed to rotate in the midfield
Lumumba - playing pretty well but always a lottery what he'll do with it
Wagner - 2 career games from the rookie list
Hunt - 1 game

• Like 4

Whilst he hasn't had much of the football in terms of stats, his kicking from kick outs has been a stand out for the most part and his defensive work has vastly improved. I think he doesn't get in position enough to receive the hands and when he does he will be getting 20+ disposals

The kid's played 26 games, without being able to string many together because of injury. He isn't yet 21, and is our key kicker outer from the goal square. Give him a chance to build on his role over a season, which I reckon he is doing, and very nicely thank you. What he does as the years go by is anybody's guess, but natural footballers like Salem need to be allowed to mature with games experience in a defined role. Halfback is perfect for him. 

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, Deeoldfart said:

He's going ok imo, but he still has a couple of gears left.  Just slowly building confidence in his body and playing a role that probably isn't his natural 'go'.  

I get the feeling that he's trying to get his defensive game right at the moment.

I'd like to see him get put into space with the ball more often, but this may only happen once the defence can settle for a few games. There's been a couple of changes every game so far.

5 minutes ago, Webber said:

The kid's played 26 games, without being able to string many together because of injury. He isn't yet 21, and is our key kicker outer from the goal square. Give him a chance to build on his role over a season, which I reckon he is doing, and very nicely thank you. What he does as the years go by is anybody's guess, but natural footballers like Salem need to be allowed to mature with games experience in a defined role. Halfback is perfect for him. 

Your welcome.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

I've said multiple times he ain't a defender.  Would be much better on the wing.  If Hunt and Wagner play well it should release him into the middle of the park. 

Doesn't have the fitness to play on the wing. He'd be gassed by half time. I think he should rotate on to the wing at times but mainly he's either a half forward or half back at this stage.

Is he a defender? That depends on what a defender is. I think you can play half back despite being only an acceptable defensive player. 

In a zone and team style defending it might be more important to have better defensive players at half forward than half back!

• Like 2

Pffft I won't hear of it!

Pendlebury is being wasted at half back too, sometimes there are no better options. It's an extremely important position these days. 

He hasn't set the world on fire this season that's true, but the high press would make his position a little harder, you can't just waltz out like the old days (2years ago).

I'm hoping Mitch White comes on to release the Salem further up field. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Webber said:

On another topic, as Matt Jones' most staunch defender on this site, I'd have hoped you would be a bit more vocal over his recent form. Where's the "I told you so"? :)

Kudos to you and to him. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.