Boo Hoo

3183 Dee

9 hours ago, Munga said:

2005? Really?

that's yesterday

That's a pathetic reply, doesn't matter how long you have supported the Dees, being a 'younger' supporter though means you actually don't have the annoying habit of constantly looking back over the shoulder and rewriting history

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

No that was Bury St Edmunds

Short memory there Adam......merger not ring any bells

You mean our takeover of Hawthorn that nearly succeeded?

• Like 1

Thanks guys, for the replies. 

I can only commend Melbourne supporters as the most loyal bunch of all: 35k + after what we've been dished up is a great figure, and when that Members and Olympic wing starts firing, it sounds like 60 or 70k.

I hope that the boys respond accordingly this weekend. Remember the Doggies, Richmond and Geelong all had their horrible games last year against the strong underdog (us), who wanted it more than they did. I hope it's a reality check that we still have a long way to go, but the journey back has at least begun.

re Plymouth Argyle: they were that bad when I was growing up that, until I was about 7, I thought they were called Plymouth Argyle Nil.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

No that was Bury St Edmunds

Short memory there Adam......merger not ring any bells

Sorry I'm confused. What's your point? They always had a lot of support in the 90s, they just weren't signed up. The 80s made that football club and they've kept the momentum up ever since. Now they've got a ridiculous amount of members.

Great topic heading .....concur with it all ....I too did not grow up with the sport but have followed the dees since 1972 .....seen it all including the one win in a season where Flower got us over the line....my passion for my team has not diminished but it has for the Afl in general.....the drug debacle...unfair fixturing (Sunday's game undermanned Hawks against WC with a lot to prove surely shows they will only make top 4 with their home ground fixturing & incredibly easy draw) I could go on.....however ....it is just a game of football when all is said & done ....not many things give us incredible highs (aka last sat) & demoralizing lows (this sat) I've watched them for so long ...I could tell that 10mins into the first qrt .....above the shoulders ...not here ....they will be good but we are going to ride a roller coaster this year & quite frankly don't care how many years people have supported this team...how many $'s you've tipped in ....go & speak to an old Fitzroy or Sydney supporter & see how much sympathy you get....spit the dummy on the day ...vent & rage ....the sun still comes up....we live in a beautiful country & we get to saddle up & go through it all again ....wouldn't give it up for the world ....Go Dees

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

Sorry I'm confused. What's your point? They always had a lot of support in the 90s, they just weren't signed up. The 80s made that football club and they've kept the momentum up ever since. Now they've got a ridiculous amount of members.

Not to mention that they voted not to merge, and we did (although that may be due to some dodgy counting).  I'm not sure of his point either.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Boo Hoo my ass mate. Any team that drops games like that so easily when it should have pantsed a team of nancy boys and washed up retiress only put together 2 months ago and decides to move on as if everything is all fine is going nowhere fast.

If you accept that that performance is ok and think its a sign of us moving forward then I have pitty on your poor Demon soul.

The same applies to Roos and anyone else connected with the club. For as long as pea heart performances continue I will continue to demand better. No other genuine club members would accept BS like we witnessed Sat. Dont see why our hard earned and sacrifices to get to games and support is any diff to other supporters. They dont accept it and they certainly dont go quietly and wouldnt if they had to put up with the rubbish we are dished up with most games

Agree with this because it wasn't like Bombers stayed close and just got a run on late, they were switched on from the get go and it was plainly obvious they were up for the fight.  Any sportsperson understands the need to give 100% to get the job done today.  Sides like Hawthorn, Sydney and Meth Coast understand that before the bounce but our boys had 4 quarters to address it and failed to despite having momentum on a couple of occasions to take the initiative when they got their noses in front and continue to build momentum

In our darkest days we came out against opposition sides playing in a similar way to the Bombers with less talent but more intensity and desire.  Whilst we would be in games up to half/3 quarter time the opposition would regroup and overrun us, we had opportunities to do this on Saturday we got in front in the 3rd and 4th quarters but the players at these points thought the job was done and on each occasion failed to put the Dons to the sword and deflate them.  We gave them back momentum and allowed them to get their tails up and overrun us to win.

I don't want to hear a word out of the playing group this week the usual we are disappointed in our own performance and are going to try and redeem ourselves this week.They need to dig deep this week and for the next series of games North, Pies, Tigers and St Kilda are all winnable and they need to have the mindset of other clubs and do the following things

• Beat North or at the very least give their best effort and be in the game right up until the final siren
  • Move on from the North game immediately and look to the Pies, should we beat North not start talking about the 2 in a row but just look at going in to beat the Pies
  • Move on to the Tigers to win 
  • As above with the Saints and in all of these games no complacency and no being satisfied with yourself due to one decent performance

It's all about taking each week at a time and we need to start playing in this manner not saying the right things like we are hoping to beat Essendon this week to win 2 in a row for the first time.  I had an idea we were in trouble when I heard this last week from our playing group, it should have been clear that Essendon are a proud club, this is their first home game for the season and we would expect they want to repay the faith of their 50k members who have shown faith in them. We know the Bombers are going to come out firing and we need to be switched on for what they are going to throw at us.

Saturday was totally unacceptable and they should be embarrassed with themselves but part of me knows the majority aren't and like Saturday they are expecting their team mates to dig them out of the hole

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

In our darkest days we came out against opposition sides playing in a similar way to the Bombers with less talent but more intensity and desire.  Whilst we would be in games up to half/3 quarter time the opposition would regroup and overrun us, we had opportunities to do this on Saturday we got in front in the 3rd and 4th quarters but the players at these points thought the job was done and on each occasion failed to put the Dons to the sword and deflate them.  We gave them back momentum and allowed them to get their tails up and overrun us to win.

I agree with this.  It was so obvious during the game.  Each time we hit the front, we got ahead of ourselves and just handed them back momentum.  Twice!!!

I was worried before the game watching the lack of intensity in the warm-up and commented to my son about how flat we looked. We got so much wrong this weekend, mostly before the game even started.

• Like 1

Just now, praha said:

Haha I knew you'd typed that as soon as the notification popped up :P

Compared to the last decade 2005 does look like a golden era. Then almost everything looks like a golden era.

7 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Not to mention that they voted not to merge, and we did (although that may be due to some dodgy counting).  I'm not sure of his point either.

Comprehension skill beyond some     the point was about supporters sticking thru tough times    poster inferred Hawthorn had no below par times in recent history

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

Comprehension skill beyond some     the point was about supporters sticking thru tough times    poster inferred Hawthorn had no below par times in recent history

So recent history is 20 years ago now?  So recently Melbourne were fantastic, then?

That might have been a 'tough' time, but it wasn't recently.

20 hours ago, stuie said:

I'm not sure where you're from originally 3183, but maybe in your 11 years so far you haven't picked up that although Aussies aren't generally overly emotional and are very matter of fact to the point where our humor is based on irony and sarcasm, we take our game very seriously, and the emotions from a loss such as this ride high for at least 24 hours. After that, most calm down, think ahead and reconsider where they think we're really at. It's just the Aussie football way mate, and part of what makes our game so great.

There's posters in this forum who have passionately followed the Dees for 50 years and not seen the biggest success, so I don't know that mentioning your 10 years of struggle will help your cause, although I do get where you're coming from.

Deep down we all now things are gradually changing, but on top of the frustration of how slowly it's happening (while we watch the Doggies fulfill our dreams), there's the continual losses like this just when we start to let ourselves hope again, and not just that, but before you moved here Essendon absolutely bullied us in a rare Grand Final appearance and they have the least gracious supporters possibly in the world.

Everyone cops the wack differently, it doesn't make one a better supporter than another, we all have our ways but anyone who is still an MFC fan after the last 10 years is a true die-hard guts of steel supporter.

What a great reply to a great OP

10 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

So recent history is 20 years ago now?  So recently Melbourne were fantastic, then?

That might have been a 'tough' time, but it wasn't recently.

It is to me chap but then again the ink is dry on my birth certificate      there was a long bow drawn originally

Good thread 3183, Unfortunitly this site is full of grumpy keyboard warriors so you'll probably get a massive back lass for being positive about the win. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Plymouth Argyle!! Used to go out with him in my undergrad days.

I thought it was a mouthwash!!

Either that or an ointment Uncle Bitters sometimes has to use!! He Heh

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ILLDieADemon said:

Good thread 3183, Unfortunitly this site is full of grumpy keyboard warriors so you'll probably get a massive back lass for being positive about the win. 

Picket knows those types of sheilas.

Edited by Bitter but optimistic
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Maple Demon said:

It could be worse. A lot worse. We could be the Chicago Cubs. They haven't won the title in their respective league since 1908. That is 107+ years!

High time they grew up into 'pappa bears',  then Maple...  after all that time hibernating in the wilderness.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjNZfwTd9RIZ53-bl16YG

They're issues remind of choirboys & Melbourne fuscia's. 

its time to change,  & let the voice break.