Leadership

We need to start playing as a team. That instruction should come from the coach(es). During that final quarter last week, we played as a team. I don't recall us stringing together five minutes of team play today. So we can bemoan our lack of leadership or we band together and ensure everyone plays a role.

I believe Nathan Jones is a good leader. He sets the example, but he's not a superstar, I love him, but he's not. So he can't always impact games in the same way as a Luke Hodge - he needs support. Play together as a team and you counter some of this.

Hopefully the younger blokes who are apart of a seemingly very good development program (ie. McCartney) are learning good habits now, enabling them to be good leaders down the track. Ultimately though, we might have to wait a little bit for this.

Edited by AdamFarr

6 hours ago, AdamFarr said:

We need to start playing as a team. That instruction should come from the coach(es). During that final quarter last week, we played as a team. I don't recall us stringing together five minutes of team play today. So we can bemoan our lack of leadership or we band together and ensure everyone plays a role.

I believe Nathan Jones is a good leader. He sets the example, but he's not a superstar, I love him, but he's not. So he can't always impact games in the same way as a Luke Hodge - he needs support. Play together as a team and you counter some of this.

Hopefully the younger blokes who are apart of a seemingly very good development program (ie. McCartney) are learning good habits now, enabling them to be good leaders down the track. Ultimately though, we might have to wait a little bit for this.

It's a tough one. But i didn't see any leadership out there yesterday. I can't comment on the coaching as much

but the side was not mentally prepared. There were 2 instances where we hit the front and then rolled over. 

Fundamental leadership is not there. Jones has to be in the gun, he is out there in the midfield to not only play his role but inspire and demand his team mates to go the distance. 

What we need is a Player who will drag this timid club over the line (The way Ablett Jnr has done) to teach this group what is needed. I don't think Jones has ever done this. I love Jonesy but he is not the Captain to lead this job. 

Yesterday proved we have not progressed since Neeld, yes the club has better people but still we have not progressed. 

How do you inspire a team that is on the same salary as Hawthorn?

our leadership is lacking and has been lacking for years. Jones might be slightly above average as a leader but then it drops off significantly. 

Leadrrship comes with age and experience of which we lack both.

hawtjorn have 12 leaders in their team each and every weekend. We won't be in that position for another 5 years.

1 minute ago, bandicoot said:

our leadership is lacking and has been lacking for years. Jones might be slightly above average as a leader but then it drops off significantly. 

Leadrrship comes with age and experience of which we lack both.

hawtjorn have 12 leaders in their team each and every weekend. We won't be in that position for another 5 years.

True leadership comes from within. Experience makes it stronger

We have not won 2 games in a row for 5 years. That is how bad the reality is. 

• Like 2

Jones is the best we have, he does as good as a good as we can ask of him.

But, he does not inspire, he does not grab the club and drag them over the line, he never has and never will.

Viney will hopefully one day become that player, but not as yet. 

8 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Jones is the best we have, he does as good as a good as we can ask of him.

But, he does not inspire, he does not grab the club and drag them over the line, he never has and never will.

Viney will hopefully one day become that player, but not as yet. 

I agree Gor but we need someone to do it now otherwise it may never happen

if FA comes in after 6 years then players will just leave. 

We need serious Leadership from Glen Bartlett down...

6 hours ago, 45HG said:

I didn't like Paul Roos' press conference - I thought it missed the mark.

Agreed. It really annoyed me. Roos seems like he has lost touch with the situation at hand.

As for leadership, we traded for experienced players lacking leadership. Lumumba, Dawes, Vince and Garlett are the boom recruits from other clubs. All have significant AFL experience yet to not exhibit leadership qualities required to move this young list forward. Not a knock on their footy ability, Vince and Jeffy are 2 of our best. They just don't have the leadership qualities we are begging for.

9 minutes ago, Adzman said:

Agreed. It really annoyed me. Roos seems like he has lost touch with the situation at hand.

As for leadership, we traded for experienced players lacking leadership. Lumumba, Dawes, Vince and Garlett are the boom recruits from other clubs. All have significant AFL experience yet to not exhibit leadership qualities required to move this young list forward. Not a knock on their footy ability, Vince and Jeffy are 2 of our best. They just don't have the leadership qualities we are begging for.

With a salary cap across the AFL it is going to be more difficult to recruit leaders. I thought Bernie had it

but it's not there....

You can't point the finger at Nathan Jones. The lack of leadership comes from Roos. Poor preparation, selection and match day coaching. He learnt nothing about our loss to Essendon last year when Daniher killed us, or in fact, he learnt nothing about our inadequacies against a tall forward in Lobb last week. 

After a preseason when we were being lauded for a more attacking gameplan under Goodwin, we've averaged 11 goals in 2 games against average/poor teams. If this continues, David King could be on the money, and Roos needs to stick to his media job.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mo64 said:

You can't point the finger at Nathan Jones. The lack of leadership comes from Roos. Poor preparation, selection and match day coaching. He learnt nothing about our loss to Essendon last year when Daniher killed us, or in fact, he learnt nothing about our inadequacies against a tall forward in Lobb last week. 

After a preseason when we were being lauded for a more attacking gameplan under Goodwin, we've averaged 11 goals in 2 games against average/poor teams. If this continues, David King could be on the money, and Roos needs to stick to his media job.

Agree. Roos is cruising. Too defensive. Too thick. A million bucks a year... Who gives a stuff? Put the kids through a fancy private school, have the missus come in and give the boys some yoga lessons to calm down any aggressive instincts. Cruisin. 

Million bucks a year for producing that. Jeez that's a lot of money.

and the worst part - he chose his successor. Do we have any reason at all for thinking he'll be any better?

Edited by Jara

14 minutes ago, mo64 said:

The players on the ground are the ones who DO the job

so yes Jones has to take a lot of the blame as do others in our so called "Leadership Group"

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

The players on the ground are the ones who DO the job

so yes Jones has to take a lot of the blame as do others in our so called "Leadership Group"

I've written plenty about what I think of  "Leadership Groups". 

Nathan Jones didn't preapre the players leading into the game. Nathan Jones didn't pick a team that was incapable of stopping a tall forward. And Nathan Jones didn't devise a negative gameplan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

I've written plenty about what I think of  "Leadership Groups". 

Nathan Jones didn't preapre the players leading into the game. Nathan Jones didn't pick a team that was incapable of stopping a tall forward. And Nathan Jones didn't devise a negative gameplan.

No he didn't. But the Coaches weren't on the ground when twice we were 2 goals up and rolled over. 

That is the Domain of the Captain

That is the responsibility a Captain takes on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adzman said:

It is rare that real leaders are either put up for trade or seek a trade. Dangerfield and Ablett are the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No he didn't. But the Coaches weren't on the ground when twice we were 2 goals up and rolled over. 

That is the Domain of the Captain

That is the responsibility a Captain takes on

We may have been in front on the scoreboard, but we were getting beaten all day in general play. That falls on the coach, but we'll agree to disagree.

3 minutes ago, mo64 said:

We may have been in front on the scoreboard, but we were getting beaten all day in general play. That falls on the coach, but we'll agree to disagree.

I am not saying that the Coaches are blameless

But the onfield leadership yesterday was completely absent when it was required

Happens way too often...

Nathan Jones had a chance to win us the game..we were ahead..just..and he took the ball and ran to just inside fifty..sunk the slipper and it missed and hogan gave away a free trying to take a speccie. Hogan, of course gave Chunk a serve and lashed about with his arms. I knew that it wasnt going to be our day. Jones usually steps up and kicks those.

8 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Nathan Jones had a chance to win us the game..we were ahead..just..and he took the ball and ran to just inside fifty..sunk the slipper and it missed and hogan gave away a free trying to take a speccie. Hogan, of course gave Chunk a serve and lashed about with his arms. I knew that it wasnt going to be our day. Jones usually steps up and kicks those.

If the leaders can't do it against Essendrug then they will be slaughtered by every leader of other teams in the comp. 

The Damage done yesterday could be enormous to the whole club....

Beaten all day by a bunch of kids and ring ins  

I wonder if they have actually given the leadership team any professional leadership training, or is it a tap on the shoulder and promotion. Leadership is something that does not automatically come to people because you call them a leader they have to have the right attributed either naturally in them or learned. I think our leadership team needs some more professional training and perhaps bonding sessions to support each other.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 45HG said:

I didn't like Paul Roos' press conference - I thought it missed the mark.

I thought he was too accepting of what happened. I remember him more fired up after his Sydney coaching games. Love the structures and some of the culture he's brought back over the last couple of years, but I think he's biding time now.