Frost's Role

Wrecker45

13 hours ago, rpfc said:

...that he drops marks the same as Frost, but that they bounce away toward the opposition more than the ones Frost drops...

hqg-512.gif

Frost seems to come in and spoil as if he is a defender when the opposition are trying to take a mark and in a good position. He did it a number of times in the Nab cup.

Dawes drops marks that he should take when then ball is kicked to him.

We need to remember that Frost has played just 25 odd games of footy.  He was initially a rookie at GWS.  He showed promise as a defender at GWS.

I think Roos is showing poor judgement to expect him to be holding down CHF.  He needs to go back to defence, learn the game & get comfortable.  Then after a couple of seasons when he has learned a bit more about the game maybe he can be tried up forward.

7 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

We need to remember that Frost has played just 25 odd games of footy.  He was initially a rookie at GWS.  He showed promise as a defender at GWS.

I think Roos is showing poor judgement to expect him to be holding down CHF.  He needs to go back to defence, learn the game & get comfortable.  Then after a couple of seasons when he has learned a bit more about the game maybe he can be tried up forward.

Frost is the classic swingman (or at least potentially) in that he can pinch-hit in the ruck, is tall, solid bodied and is fast. He may not be up to it yet but we have an issue if Max goes down during a game. We need to have the flexibility and Frost needs game time.

Maybe Roos thinks we haven't got the luxury of letting him develop for 2 seasons in defence....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

Frost seems to come in and spoil as if he is a defender when the opposition are trying to take a mark and in a good position. He did it a number of times in the Nab cup.

Dawes drops marks that he should take when then ball is kicked to him.

If Frost is coming 'in as a defender' then it is telling you something about how he is moving as a forward.

Dawes drops marks because he has no confidence in his hands, Frost 'gets to contests' the same way a defender does and that is an effing problem in our forward line because we have a generational talent down there who needs his teammates to take their opponents away from the space he is using.

Hogan needs some help but, more than anything, he needs to be trusted to beat his bloke in the space he is given. Frost doesn't seem to know he is in Hogan's space, and Pedersen doesn't seem to care. I don't see the same level of clogged space when Dawes is playing, drawing a player up the ground or to a flank.

• Like 2

Did we not recruit this bloke for games like today ? In theory he seems like a perfect match up for Daniher. I thought when we picked him up as part of that trade that he would be groomed to take these taller key forwards... Very poor decision to try and turn him into a key forward which he is not 

Edited by JV7
  • Like 2

Low stat winner but chases hard and throws his body around.

Far too many intercept marks, many of which frost may have diffused

Missed his defensive pressure, hope he plays next week.

On 29/03/2016 at 11:33 PM, Adzman said:

Frost has that Swiss army knife quality that coaches love. I don't know where to play him, and I'm not confident in his ability to nail a key role in the side just yet.

He is worth rolling with for another 3-4 weeks to see if he finds his niche. If he doesn't Dawes probably locks down that forward role when back from his calf injury.

I don't think Dawes will lock anything in,  or out...   think he's virtually done,  turn him over & stick a trident in to him,  to see.

If we have to play Dawesy from mid year,  to do what,  something?  we may as well play the younger ones like Frost & Oscar,  & one of the kings from that point.?

On 30/03/2016 at 11:10 AM, Cranky Franky said:

Maybe Dawes injury has caused this?  maybe your right, that they intended to have Frost as tall back, but fate stepped in.

Edited by dee-luded

With the size of some of these opposition forwards, we really need Frost to come on and nail down the full back position. That will allow Tommy Mac more flexibility as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I admit I have never been a fan and continually wondered why he was allowed to 'develop' in the ones instead of learning to play forward in the twos.

However I thought he was quite good today and did some good things with the ball as well which was unexpected. At one stage he took a ballsy kick from the back flank to the corridor which set up a goal which showed he clearly has some skill and the confidence is improving.

well done to the kid

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, deeko said:

I admit I have never been a fan and continually wondered why he was allowed to 'develop' in the ones instead of learning to play forward in the twos.

However I thought he was quite good today and did some good things with the ball as well which was unexpected. At one stage he took a ballsy kick from the back flank to the corridor which set up a goal which showed he clearly has some skill and the confidence is improving.

well done to the kid

Longer term there is still the issue that he can't slot a set shot goal. Played his part today kicked the one on the run, a couple of good tackles but I still see him as Key back. Don't think we can carry him in this role long term. 

• Like 1

Frost's role as 2nd/3rd forward and helping out in the ruck is a vital part of a modern team, but I have had him well behind Pedersen in this role. He surprised me a lot today with his attack on the contest and steadiness with the ball. His marking is a worry but he has only played about 30 games or so, the marking can improve. Look at Gawn, TMac and how they can mark a ball now. 

But Frost has to put 5+ games together with improved marking to de emnt nis spot. 

Was a definite improvement, if he can improve the hands in marking contest (and ffs most modern forwards need to learn to take the ball out at arms length) he could be a real assets especially with that pace. Looks like he is growing into the season.

Was frost playing a modification of Garlet's role today; a tale version of the forward pressure pocket/flanker?

Add that he is tall and could swing into the ruck if needed but he want playing as a traditional tall forward 

I thought there was some very good and some not so good from Frost yesterday.

My big knock on him ( as a forward) was he was getting to where the ball "ain't" but yesterday he was very involved.

One swallow doesn't make a summer but it was a really positive game in my opinion and has earned a continuation of him as a forward.

(note - I also thought Pedo did very well yesterday as well)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Redleg said:

Whatever, it was his best game for us and he did a few nice things. If he can hold a few more and improve his goal kicking, he would be quite an asset.

His goal on the run was outstanding. Was right behind the bench and saw him run on . It was a joy to watch..

• Like 1

He was better yesterday but he is still getting used to the intensity of AFL footy. He dwells on the footy, has terrible peripheral vision, and makes simple tasks look rather difficult.

With that said - he is quick, aggressive, and willing to work - so there is stuff to work with.

He just needs to be happy working on it at Casey.

While he played well he dropped some simple marks that key forwards usually swallow up. Obviously will need to work on his awarness too but credit is due as i have been pretty critical of him.

His challange now is to back u a similar performance. Hopefully this gives him the confidence to build on yesterday.

• Like 1