Changes vs Essendon

jumbo returns

those picking Frost over Pedo because of Frost's pressure, im not sure.

Pedo had 4 tackles to Frost's 0 on saturday.  Pedo also had more posessions, score involvements

I also liked Pedos toughness around the ball, that bump was a beauty and he knows how to use his bulk.  I know Frost is quicker but I'd take the footballer over the athlete in the fwd line any day of the week.

Im backing Pedo in to kick a couple this week. and if we are keen to drop a KP player I would drop Frosty

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

those picking Frost over Pedo because of Frost's pressure, im not sure.

Pedo had 4 tackles to Frost's 0 on saturday.  Pedo also had more posessions, score involvements

I also liked Pedos toughness around the ball, that bump was a beauty and he knows how to use his bulk.  I know Frost is quicker but I'd take the footballer over the athlete in the fwd line any day of the week.

Im backing Pedo in to kick a couple this week. and if we are keen to drop a KP player I would drop Frosty

The forward line also all of a sudden clicked once Pedo was moved out the way too....

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

The forward line also all of a sudden clicked once Pedo was moved out the way too....

The forward line clicked when everyone was moved out of the way. Pedo wasn't the only one clogging it up for three quarters. Kent, Garlett both pushed up, Jones didn't go deep as often, Gawn held back. At least Pedo's versatile. Dawes lacks that flexibility to move up the ground and contribute. Frost struggles to get involved, and his set shot is shocking. He should be made to find form at VFL. Pedo is far more useful than both of them atm.

Edited by praha
errir
  • Like 4

Before crediting the forward line as working better with Pedersen in the backline, there was another tactical change which needs to be considered. Up until 3/4 time Gawn was pushing forward and "getting in the way". He wasn't doing that in the last quarter. It may be that Gawn was running forward under the express instruction to tire Mumford and perhaps that part of the plan worked. Nevertheless, the forward line worked so much better when (a) Pedersen wasn't there, (b) Gawn wasn't there and (c) the ball movement in the final quarter was so much quicker that there were fewer GWS players there, too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Before crediting the forward line as working better with Pedersen in the backline, there was another tactical change which needs to be considered. Up until 3/4 time Gawn was pushing forward and "getting in the way". He wasn't doing that in the last quarter. It may be that Gawn was running forward under the express instruction to tire Mumford and perhaps that part of the plan worked. Nevertheless, the forward line worked so much better when (a) Pedersen wasn't there, (b) Gawn wasn't there and (c) the ball movement in the final quarter was so much quicker that there were fewer GWS players there, too.

Very true. Garlett to the midfield was the move that actually turned the game IMO.

• Like 2

the fwd line clicking in the last Q was due to many factors.  winnning clearances, lowering our eyes and actually hitting targets on the lead rather than bombing it long and changing the personnel to throw them off.

• Like 2

IN: Dunn, Brayshaw

OUT: O.McDonald(inj), Frost

Wouldn't be suprised if Brayshaw is made to play a full game with casey. If not Frost or Pedersen makes way, think Pedersen gets the nod due to his back up ruck ability. Harmes deserves another game after a good preseason. Tyson on notice. 

8 hours ago, Nasher said:

Matt Jones should not be and won't be dropped.

I love James Harmes: he has a crack, he can kick goals and his attitude is infectious, but he is presently the 22nd best player in our side.

I think they won't change much at all for the Essendrugs game.

If Omac goes out injured (TBC),  then Frost or Pedo goes to defence, & another runner can be added to the side.

• Like 1

Just watched the tv coverage for the first time as I was there Saturday. Matt Jones did nothing wrong all game, and was creative when he had it. He stays

Pedo was working hard and leading to come good spots, couple big hits and acceptable when in the ruck. Stays

Harmes did some good things, great pressure, he should stay

Omac out for Dunny

So who you push out for Brayshaw I would not have a clue but he has to come in, and I would really like H to come in aswell. Maybe frost and Kent/harmes but structurally that doesn't work. What a great problem to have for the first time in years!

PS- Watts did things he has never done for Melbourne before. Explosive and evasive through traffic! Vanders is going to be  a superstar, does so much right!

• Like 1

Hard to share the enthusiasm for including Lumumba this week .  Now in his 30th year , his 2015 season was pretty ordinary although I admit his  manic "run-on-at-all-costs" outlook did make the heart flutter a bit .

OMac out and Dunn in is a given I would have thought, injury or not. 

As for the rest, if Brayshaw is ready to go then he comes in and then there is the decision as to who gets dropped. I lean towards one of Frost/Pedersen for Brayshaw. if pressed I would go for Frost to be dropped and Pedersen retained.

Hogan and Watts with Pedersen rotating with Gawn as required for 5 mins per quarter. VDB can be a third/fourth tall in the forwards when required.

In the midfield I would be letting a few know they needs to step up as there are players lining up for a crack at their places in the team.

6 hours ago, stuie said:

Pedersen was crap in the forward line but him being moved out of the forward line was not the sole reason it clicked in the fourth.

We also got Frost higher up, got Kent and Garlett out of there, and Gawn stopped floating in front of Hogan.

I also thought Pedersen did well when he went into the backline. That kind of versatility is something Roos has said this week we are looking for in our list, so that's going to get him credits.

One option may be to move Pedersen to CHB this week instead of bringing Dunn back. I'm not sold on a Hogan-Pedersen-Frost-Watts forward line and one solution may be to move Pedersen back rather than to drop one of him and Frost.

Regardless, Frost has really got to improve as a forward because right now I don't like it.

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Pedersen was crap in the forward line but him being moved out of the forward line was not the sole reason it clicked in the fourth.

We also got Frost higher up, got Kent and Garlett out of there, and Gawn stopped floating in front of Hogan.

I also thought Pedersen did well when he went into the backline. That kind of versatility is something Roos has said this week we are looking for in our list, so that's going to get him credits.

One option may be to move Pedersen to CHB this week instead of bringing Dunn back. I'm not sold on a Hogan-Pedersen-Frost-Watts forward line and one solution may be to move Pedersen back rather than to drop one of him and Frost.

Regardless, Frost has really got to improve as a forward because right now I don't like it.

Why this sudden unlove for Dunn? What's he dunn wrong?

Not sure about peoples obsession with dropping Pedo instead of Frost. I was there at the game and apart from that one tap in the goal square that set up the goal and another spoil in the forward line, I'm not too sure what Frost offered us on the weekend. He looked lost, didn't lead to the right spots and didn't even get close to looking dangerous as a forward. They said at the start he would play that second forward/ruck but on the weekend he didn't go in the ruck at all. Pedo took a few marks, played second fiddle in the ruck and was able to move to the backline when Omac went down. 

If Dunn is still underdone, it could be a good time to put Frost into the backline where he was recruited to play. I guess it puts a lot of pressure on him because apart from TMac he'd be the only other tall defender. If he doesn't have a good game then I guess we could swap him and Pedo. 

• Like 2