Casey Scorpions intra-club practice match - Friday 25th March, 2016

Whispering_Jack

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How did Lumumba go?

Lubumumba looked good. Expect him to get an early recall.

Although obviously a match simulation rather than the touted "intraclub practice match ", Petracca and Trengove both looked sharp and cherry ripe. Hoping to see both named for Casey's first game and AFL not long after.

• Like 4

I do think Essendon would be a good round to bring Track back, clearly he's fit and firing and Essendon with most of a VFL/TAC cup side aren't going to be the same as a full step  up in intensity and so on

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How did Lumumba go?

Harry was good - hard to tackle shrugs shoulders well evasive skills and follow on running - he also was very vocal between drills in the 5 on 8 drill advising where to be and was the dominant player i that dril in the northern 50m arc that I watched before the intra club

• Like 3

? Weiderman for round four ?

Would be a nice touch, or maybe that's a bit soon! But from the reports he performed quite well today.

18 minutes ago, jayceebee31 said:

Agree- if ever he gets some worthy speed back as his poise and previous skills were quite goodv

hi jcb31, nice to see you about again.

Trenners in his Nab champs games,  worked from the back edge of square frequently as an on-baller.  His leadership & smarts were fantastic,  so IMO he is suited to play that Qtr-back role cutting off Oppo' thrusts & rebounding like a 'Hodge' off half back.

Stretch - a natural outside runner, receives handballs running in to space and turns quickly to move the ball on. Clean by hand and foot. Not afraid of the contest.

Weideman - leads hard and straight at the ball. Dropped a chest mark but followed up then hit the handball. Took a strong mark back with the flight and nailed the goal from 50. Took a couple more on the lead (both towards and away from goal), both up high and sliding out for a chest mark. Nailed some goals, led to space. It was a good performance. But came against a Casey defender and with nice supply. So it's early days. 

Trengove - ran hard and smartly in to space. Used his body well to mark in the goal square. Linked up and kicked well in to space. He's no slower than most of the Casey guys and has a much faster brain. Again, early days, being smarter than VFL 2nds players isn't definitive that he's up to AFL, but it was promising.

Petracca - rushes kicks at times and handballs to move the ball on with maybe a little too much faith in his team mates. That's the negatives. I don't want to spoil the fun on the positives. Soon everyone will get to see him smiling and will smile with him. Lots of development to come in his game and probably in his body. Again, shrugging off Saty was probably his hardest opponent all day, but it was good to watch.

• Like 32

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

I do think Essendon would be a good round to bring Track back, clearly he's fit and firing and Essendon with most of a VFL/TAC cup side aren't going to be the same as a full step  up in intensity and so on

I hope its a home game,  although I see the next ones are Rnds 5  &  6.

8 minutes ago, Dee Dee said:

Would be a nice touch, or maybe that's a bit soon! But from the reports he performed quite well today.

Rnd 12 ?  he has to learn to Love the Red n Blue before contending with those vertical stripes.

it'll mean more by then.   or later.  just Glad he's on our List...

# edit what chance a Rnd 5 return for Trenners ?

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/season/fixture-and-results

Edited by dee-luded

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Stretch - a natural outside runner, receives handballs running in to space and turns quickly to move the ball on. Clean by hand and foot. Not afraid of the contest.

Weideman - leads hard and straight at the ball. Dropped a chest mark but followed up then hit the handball. Took a strong mark back with the flight and nailed the goal from 50. Took a couple more on the lead (both towards and away from goal), both up high and sliding out for a chest mark. Nailed some goals, led to space. It was a good performance. But came against a Casey defender and with nice supply. So it's early days. 

Trengove - ran hard and smartly in to space. Used his body well to mark in the goal square. Linked up and kicked well in to space. He's no slower than most of the Casey guys and has a much faster brain. Again, early days, being smarter than VFL 2nds players isn't definitive that he's up to AFL, but it was promising.

Petracca - rushes kicks at times and handballs to move the ball on with maybe a little too much faith in his team mates. That's the negatives. I don't want to spoil the fun on the positives. Soon everyone will get to see him smiling and will smile with him. Lots of development to come in his game and probably in his body. Again, shrugging off Saty was probably his hardest opponent all day, but it was good to watch.

very hard tag from Saty

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dee Dee said:

Don't get confused between a practice match and match sim. Match sim is all about ball movement and not contested possession. Due to his physique, I very much doubt that he's in the club's plans this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Love your reports DS. They're always balanced and not just fluff pieces.

• Like 6

OK...

I was trying to keep a lid on it.....

but......

69nk3q.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

He's good enough to have a Hogan-like impact, i think he'll play mainly as a forward at AFL level but still should be extremely dangerous down there.

I thought he was extremely impressive on the wing today. Once he has gained the fitness his strength and speed would be gold in the mid field. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dino rover said:

Harry was good - hard to tackle shrugs shoulders well evasive skills and follow on running - he also was very vocal between drills in the 5 on 8 drill advising where to be and was the dominant player i that dril in the northern 50m arc that I watched before the intra club

I think many are going to be pleasantly surprised by Harry this year. He was limited last year from injury and I just sense he just really wants to play his socks off now !!  He'l lbe good to watch :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Love your reports DS. They're always balanced and not just fluff pieces.

Cheers. It was a positive session for a lot of reasons but everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. I can get a bit pessimistic but we are coming from a long way back and have a lot of players with great attributes who have to keep working on their strengths and weaknesses. 

From Casey I really like the giant ruckman. Hope we keep tracking him. And Aloysio Ferreira the dark skinned lad has a crack and seems to run the lines well. Nice to see H having a chat to him post game and meeting what I presume were his parents. Not sure if he has the size or skills for AFL but seemed lively. The full forward looks like he'll kick a few goals at VFL level as well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coup Cooper said:

Needs game time.. No need to rush him..

Agreed, when he engaged, the ball was his. Always trying to create and you could see his frustration that others didnt have the ability to see his vision. However, he seemed to struggle between his explosive bursts, a little more game time wouldn't hurt. But, what do I know, I love what I saw and he is going to be the real deal. 

36 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Surely we're not in the position of luxury yet of being cocky with player selection. If he's fit he's fit and if he's not he's not - doesn't matter if we're playing Essendon or Hawthorn.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Redleg said:

JT will need more game time at Casey than CP5.

Agree, but after seeing him today am more convinced his comeback will be successful. That would be a huge boost for the club - like having three number 2 draft picks "debut" for the club in the space of about a month: Oliver, Petracca and JT. When fit, all of them will be A-graders. I'm predicting Petracca will debut against Norf, and JT comeback against the Pies. Weideman, mid season. 

Cant wait to see Petracca and JT feeding Jesse in the square.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I think many are going to be pleasantly surprised by Harry this year. He was limited last year from injury and I just sense he just really wants to play his socks off now !!  He'l lbe good to watch :)

Agreed. It seems like he is a great sounding board and highly respected by the players. Trac was frustrated at the lack of leading options presenting and decided to take the game on. He made his way around the mark and tried to create a one, two allowing him to open up the field. Unfortunately, the skills of others under pressure weren't up to his idea. Trac made his way over to H and seemed to asking Him about his decision making, H then seemed to point out a couple of other options. Trac calmed and reset. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Surely we're not in the position of luxury yet of being cocky with player selection. If he's fit he's fit and if he's not he's not - doesn't matter if we're playing Essendon or Hawthorn.

Clearly he's not far off to have played today and played as well as he did, another full week of training and an Essendon team which really sits somewhere between AFL standard and VFL standard, i reckon it will be seriously tempting to pick him, i don't think they will, but tempting none the less.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Clearly he's not far off to have played today and played as well as he did, another full week of training and an Essendon team which really sits somewhere between AFL standard and VFL standard, i reckon it will be seriously tempting to pick him, i don't think they will, but tempting none the less.

you'd think it will also be influenced by tomorrow's match. If we have a solid 22-man performance and nobody gets hurt there's very little chance they'll 'force' Petracca into it.

• Like 1

Great to see Brayshaw's competitive spirit doesn't slack off in a practice match. Trenners had taken a great mark and was hard on the boundary kicking for goal. Brayshaw's took it upon himself to get over and put him off with the sledge 'only 2 years since the last one trenners. No pressure' gold. Worked. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

you'd think it will also be influenced by tomorrow's match. If we have a solid 22-man performance and nobody gets hurt there's very little chance they'll 'force' Petracca into it.

Agreed, bottom line is i don't think he's far away at all.

Wait, Petracca  played?

Last week Misson said he was 4 weeks away.  [censored] me dead, they could have had another 200 people in the crowd if not for misinformation like that.

Anyway great to hear , JT, Weed and TRACCA all exciting.  Would love a Petracca debut vs Essendrug, might be too early though.

• Like 1