Casey Scorpions intra-club practice match - Friday 25th March, 2016

Whispering_Jack

1 minute ago, jumbo returns said:

We're all long suffering Coup.....Hogan, Brayshaw, Oliver, Kent, Vanders, Bugg, Kennedy and PETRACCA! Please!!!

Plz.. Will be in awe of Oliver tomorrow and be like Petracca who? And he is only playing against Casey who were average at best last year..

(I have had to use the fold and tuck method while watching Petracca today though..)

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Coup Cooper said:

No. That's what the old Melbourne would do..

Has as to earn it through Casey.. 

Teach him a lesson for the dunk episode.

and serve his penance for being 'untidy' pre season.  as mentioned by coaches in they're disappointment.  he will have to earn it the hard way.  & should as well. 

Attended today and thought the Melbourne listed players easily stood out. Petracca and Weid did some nice things. There was a passage of play where Petracca had 3 or 4 touches within 30 secs as the ball was moved from d50 to f50. His intercept marking was also a standout. Trenners did some nice things. Hunt was involved and linked well with Petracca several times. 

Mitch White looked good and JKH  was his usual busy self with some good side steps. 

Thought ANB and Brayshaw were quiet however I must admit I wasn't looking for them specifically 

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, Redlegs Too said:

Thanks again to all of you. Can't wait for tomorrow and especially can't wait to see JT and Petracca in the side.  Isn't it great that an intra club practice match can generate so much interest? All part of the momentum.

maybe,,,   we've found one of our back flankers later in season,,  & maybe Salem will get some runs on-ball ?

Just back in my car after watching the match. Some comments:

- Petracca is going to be a superstar. Much quicker than I expected, an excellent accurate kick, reliable overhead mark, and a mongrel in close. Can't wait to see him open in the square with Max, Jones, and Dom Tyson. We have a beauty there.

- Jack Trengove was as reliable as we remember him in 2011. Took a couple of great marks in the goal square, his kicking is as good as ever, and seems to be moving smoothly at good pace. I know it is early days, but in some ways Trengove at his peak is similar to Petracca, and what a combination that will be.

- Weideman is impressive: great straight fast lead, but too often drops simple overhead marks. Good, long kick for goal

- Hunt is starting to use his considerable pace better than previously and is not getting caught as much. His kicking, particularly on the run has improved considerably. 

- Angus Brayshaw looked short of a run, and on that performance not surprised he was left out of tomorrow. 

- Max KIng was having a great game in the ruck and up forward - reminds me a bit of joe Daniher. Limped off towards the end with what looked like a serious ankle injury

One guy who did impress me was number 25 for red - I assume that was Mitch King but if it was he looks taller than his listed 199cm. Reminds me a lot of the woods newamerican import, and absolutely dominated the rucks contests, particularly after Max King went off.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, dee-luded said:

maybe,,,   we've found one of our back flankers later in season,,  & maybe Salem will get some runs on-ball ?

Agree - if ever he gets some worthy speed back as his poise and previous skills were quite good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayceebee31 said:

Agree - if ever he gets some worthy speed back as his poise and previous skills were quite goodv

2 hours ago, Coup Cooper said:

Petracca's pace is incredible like Dangerfield.. And drills them!! Has taken some nice marks.. He did run about 25 metres without bouncing it though..

Trengove still has a his poise and reads it well.. Seems to be able to push hard throug the middle.. Slightly faster..

Weidermen took a nice mark and kicked a goal, his set shot routine reminds me of NEITZ!

Stretch ANB and Brayshaw getting plenty. Mitch White reading t well..

Max King looks bigger but, a bit soft.

According to Coup Cooper, JT is slightly faster

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I said on Demonland a while ago, that my mail was that if CP5 plays 18-20 games, he wins the rising star, end of story.

He's good enough to have a Hogan-like impact, i think he'll play mainly as a forward at AFL level but still should be extremely dangerous down there.

Although obviously a match simulation rather than the touted "intraclub practice match ", Petracca and Trengove both looked cherry ripe. Hoping to see both named for Casey's first game and AFL not long after.

• Like 3

Just now, CBDees said:

Although obviously a match simulation rather than the touted "intraclub practice match ", Petracca and Trengove both looked cherry ripe. Hoping to see both named for Casey's first game and AFL not long after.

JT will need more game time at Casey than CP5.

• Like 3

Most of it's been covered. But they were doing drills when I got there at 10:30, then did some working the ball out of the backline simulation that was very messy. A lot of work to do there. Trengove and Stretch the most composed, many others stuffing up. Then in to a bit of around the ground stuff before probably 2 halves of 15 a side match simulation maybe for 15 minutes each.

Trengove, Petracca, Stretch and Weideman were the best of the group. More about them later.

Lumumba is a class above as an athlete, and whilst he didn't make many mistakes he wasn't great. 
Brayshaw worked hard and was above average. Nailed Stretch in a tackle, moved the ball on. Don't think he's as far off as others do.
Michie very solid doing what he does well.

From the younger guys:

Mitch King moves well, but the big ++ Casey young ruck might've had him covered. Like that Mitch tries to get involved around the ball.
Max King took a nice mark on the lead, was on the lesser of the teams. Missed the goal then a bit later did his ankle in a marking contest. Stayed down a while then hobbled off
Hulett a nice mark and goal, links up ok as well. 
ANB turned it over too much, going for aggressive kicks, just needs to find his range. Work rate stands out.
Wagner and Mitch White similar players. Good kicks mixed with not so good. Win the ball easily enough. Contest well
JKH is still one of our cleanest by hand and foot, but also still tries to do too much. Simplify his game and he'll be back. Tackled well.
Hunt had moments where his run came in to the game. Needs to kick better.

• Like 9

I read somewhere on Demonland that JT was finished. 

Must have been misinformed.

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How did Lumumba go?

Got a lot of it. Not overly damaging with his disposal. His loopy handballs that gets team mates into trouble are still in his game. 

On the positive he didn't look restricted and ran the game out well