6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

On another note, I can't wait until we can add Hogan, Brayshaw and Petracca to this side. In fact I'm salivating over it, especially considering the form of Viney, Oliver and Gawn in the middle. Can't wait.

Don't underestimate the value of Trengoves come back which now seems imminent. Fully fit he is a gun.

• Like 7

Agree that those names once fit and in the side will make an obvious difference. Even though Petracca has never played a game at AFL level, his skill set and the fact he has now been in a full-time AFL environment for well over a year and has been able to rebuild his body for the rigours of AFL will be a big boost for the side.

Hogan, Brayshaw, Petracca and Trengove fit and firing. They'll make a great deal of difference.

Here's hoping we see them all in the side together as early as possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Don't underestimate the value of Trengoves come back which now seems imminent. Fully fit he is a gun.

I don't expect Trengove to be pushing for senior selection till mid year. He's only just started doing full training, so if you factor in all the footy he's missed, his preseason starts now.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

On another note, I can't wait until we can add Hogan, Brayshaw and Petracca to this side. In fact I'm salivating over it, especially considering the form of Viney, Oliver and Gawn in the middle. Can't wait.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Trengove comes back and makes an impact. As it is I'm not factoring him in and if he does come back it's a bonus. That's not to say I don't think he'll make it, just that I'm not factoring him in. I'm hoping he doesn't become another Mark Coughlan who looked like a future captain at Richmond before injury destroyed his career,

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If this was a game for 4 points I would agree, bank the 4 points and move on.

In the context of it being a practice game I think it's fair to look at more than just the final scores to have a look at how we played and how we played against the opposition in front of us.

Those of us saying it wasn't a good performance aren't the ones overreacting here - I don't think any of us are really getting too hung up on it. On the contrary it's those who refuse to acknowledge the poor performance who seem incapable of taking on board any critical analysis. Again, I was far more impressed with the game the week before against Port than this week against the Dogs. That is regardless of the outcome, simply looking at the style of play, the effort, attack and execution. As an example look at Dean Kent's game against Port compared to his game against the Dogs. That's just one example of many.

At the end of the day it won't mean anything in a couple of weeks but right now there was enough to be disappointed in the weekends game. Not angry or frustrated, just disappointed.

I know there are a lot of Dean Kent fans on here but he really does need to lift his game this year. He needs to get involved in the play more and when he gets a shot at goal needs to nail it. For such a good kick of the ball he is a very poor kick at goal.

If we want to be a top team we need more from our small/medium forwards like Kent. At the moment he is not in the class of players at the top teams doing a similar job.

I think his aggression is great but it's not enough.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rjay said:

I know there are a lot of Dean Kent fans on here but he really does need to lift his game this year. He needs to get involved in the play more and when he gets a shot at goal needs to nail it. For such a good kick of the ball he is a very poor kick at goal.

If we want to be a top team we need more from our small/medium forwards like Kent. At the moment he is not in the class of players at the top teams doing a similar job.

I wonder how the players at the top teams in similar roles were going at 32 games. We haven't seen anywhere near the best of Kent yet.

43 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

I wonder how the players at the top teams in similar roles were going at 32 games. We haven't seen anywhere near the best of Kent yet.

Who would you compare him to that plays with a top team and plays a similar role and took time to develop? There are heaps of small/medium forwards making a impact, and most of them made an immediate impact.

I'll cut Kent some slack because injuries haven't allowed him to string games together, but I think he's overrated by many. As rjay said, he needs more than just aggression to warrant a game. For starters he needs to impact the scoreboard, because he misses a hell of a lot of sitters.

Edited by mo64
Grammar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Who would you compare him to that plays with a top team and plays a similar role and took time to develop? There are heaps of small/medium forwards making a impact, and most of them made an immediate impact.

I'll cut Kent some slack because injuries haven't allowed him to string games together, but I think he's overrated by many. As rjay said, he needs more than just aggression to warrant a game. For starters he needs to impact the scoreboard, because he misses a hell of a lot of sitters.

It was a rhetorical question.

I think Kent has had a pretty immediate and that is why he is valued on here so much. He will only get better injuries permitting.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-08/young-dog-luke-goetz-cops-fine-for-dangerous-push

Goetz to fight his fine for pushing Garland over the fence on the weekend. The footage looks prett cut and dry. Don't know what his defence will be. 

To me it looked like Garland jumped over the fence and could easily have stopped himself from going over if he wanted to. I was surprised that Goetz was sanctioned and fully expected him to appeal. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-08/young-dog-luke-goetz-cops-fine-for-dangerous-push

Goetz to fight his fine for pushing Garland over the fence on the weekend. The footage looks prett cut and dry. Don't know what his defence will be. 

"I'm a fwit !! :rolleyes:"  ...?????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

To me it looked like Garland jumped over the fence and could easily have stopped himself from going over if he wanted to. I was surprised that Goetz was sanctioned and fully expected him to appeal. 

both well and truly over the line...absolutely no NEED to have pushed...    sheer stupidity putting a player as risk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rjay said:

I agree.  Dean Kent has the where-with-all to be a 'game changer', but he needs to start changing games.  Right now, he has a bit of time on his side, but he needs to have a lot more influence over the course of 2016.

15 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Yeah nah, it was definitely reckless. Gave him a decent shove and I doubt Garland could've done more than he did to stop himself going over.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, P-man said:

Yeah nah, it was definitely reckless. Gave him a decent shove and I doubt Garland could've done more than he did to stop himself going over.

I don't know about that. You can see Garland taking a few steps after the shove before grabbing the top of the fence and jumping over. I think Garland had the choice of running into the fence or going over it, and I suspect that if he'd chosen to run into the fence then Goetz wouldn't have been charged. 

Anyway, I don't like unnecessary pushing after the play is dead, so I suppose it's a good thing that he's being sanctioned for it. I just hope the MRP can develop some level of consistency this year, as pushing after the whistle with the same level of force is a regular occurrence and it seems that it's very rarely sanctioned.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

He may have jumped the fence on purpose, with momentum up this to me is the safest option. I'd rather not collide with a steel fence.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mo64 said:

hmm ..most ? really ? Interested who you include in most.. I have had a quick look and I will absolutely give you Breust and Rioli.. interested to hear about the rest making an immediate impact (Ballantyne, Waters, Elliot, Wingard, Dalhaus ( started as a small forward), Green, Lecras, Thomas - all had similar first seasons as Kent or worse. Eddie Betts was better but hardly a world beater). Not making excuses for Kent - but he had a reasonable start in 2013, stagnated in 2014 - looked to be coming on last year before he did his hammy - in season 4 so he needs to impact the game more now.

59 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Anyway, I don't like unnecessary pushing after the play is dead, so I suppose it's a good thing that he's being sanctioned for it. I just hope the MRP can develop some level of consistency this year, as pushing after the whistle with the same level of force is a regular occurrence and it seems that it's very rarely sanctioned.

especially when you sometimes see the exact opposite - two players going over the boundary line in a tackle together and you see some players actually try to stop their opponent going into the fence.  Sundays push on Garland - unnecessary and when they keep focusing on "dangerous" in "dangerous tackles" they need to take this unnecessary and dangerous element out of the game 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rjay said:

Some players go thru the preseason comp just getting a run & looking out to not get injured before the main games.  I seem to remember Todd Viney being a bit like this preseason.

I don't think we can take too much from his lack of killing it, to this point.

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

He may have jumped the fence on purpose, with momentum up this to me is the safest option. I'd rather not collide with a steel fence.

or taken a dive, with pike :wacko:

especially if your name is Brian willo Wilson.

4 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Goetz to fight his fine for pushing Garland over the fence on the weekend. The footage looks pretty cut and dry. Don't know what his defence will be. 

The Chewbacca defense should get the job done.

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Those of us saying it wasn't a good performance aren't the ones overreacting here ...

I agree with many of your points, but is anyone saying it was a good performance?

It's pretty obvious that if WB had had their best side out there we probably would have lost, but then a) they're a better side anyway and b) Hogan out and a rusty Jones and Vince take the cream off who we are as a team in any case. I also feel that it's misleading saying that we had a stronger, almost full-strength side. On paper, sure, but then you can't put players like Wagner and Hunt out there, and then wonder why our "full-strength" side is suddenly leaking goals.

So sure, it was a scrappy game, but I (for one) just don't buy into the "the sky is falling" discourse because we didn't beat an undermanned side by 20 goals etc. etc. etc

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, bing181 said:

I agree with many of your points, but is anyone saying it was a good performance?

It's pretty obvious that if WB had had their best side out there we probably would have lost, but then a) they're a better side anyway and b) Hogan out and a rusty Jones and Vince take the cream off who we are as a team in any case. I also feel that it's misleading saying that we had a stronger, almost full-strength side. On paper, sure, but then you can't put players like Wagner and Hunt out there, and then wonder why our "full-strength" side is suddenly leaking goals.

So sure, it was a scrappy game, but I (for one) just don't buy into the "the sky is falling" discourse because we didn't beat an undermanned side by 20 goals etc. etc. etc

Oh I agree with you on those points - I just disagree with those trying to downplay the Bulldogs outs and think with the opposition out there we really should have done it far easier.

But it's preseason definitely not time for any sky is falling bleating.