Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Michelle Cowan and Daisy Pearce join the MFC

What

3 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Just a question to the majority on here who are applauding the appointment. Are you doing so because it's an affirmative action initiative by the club, or do you believe that the appointment will strengthen our football department?

If the appointment is a display of affirmative action by the club, then they should be applauded. Do I think the appointment will change our fortunes in any way? No.

My views on any new appointment to the football dept is ambivalence. At the end of the day, the senior coach is the be all and end all, and drives the football dept. So whether the appointment was a male or female, it matters little to me from a football perspective.

A mix of both, i think Michelle comes with the credentials to add to the football department, especially once we have a womens team where i would think she will continue to be the head coach.

With Daisy i see it as more a display of affermative action to continue the worthwhile endevour of promoting womens football. Her role sounds very much like a traineeship in all things footy and comes with the increase of profile from and for Daisy and should be a win for all involved. I am not sure Daisy will make us a better football team but it does make us a better football club.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, picket fence said:

This will hopefully be my last post on this matter.

Thats it 

If you don't like it..... you are welcome to your opinion, but can "Get Stuffed" anyway!

Thats my take

Fence

I've taken you at your word and deleted your subsequent posts (in particular given the 'get stuffed' bit above).

This is the second thread on women and football you've derailed with your antediluvian interjections and endless subsequent efforts to justify yourself.

You've had your say, for what it's worth, which is nothing. Find something else to do.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

This place is becoming overly moderated. You do realise the meme I posted was pulling the [censored] out of men don't you mods?? 

You do realise that relevance is a criterion for decisions on whether posts stay or go don't you Ethan? This thread is also already overly cluttered.

Jeez, what happened here?

Can we just agree that picket doesn't have the necessary qualifications to post here and move on?

As for Pearce and Cowan: this will be commonplace in a few years and I am all for it. And if you don't think women have to earn their way in the footy industry - you are kidding yourself.

14 hours ago, picket fence said:

This will hopefully be my last post on this matter.

1 I wasn't aware the Shannon Bynes had a role in Wellbeing/ Welfare and if he does I would, like to know what professional qualifications he has for this role?

2 IMV  if any staffer Male or Female has qualifications commensurate to the role description of ANY job then again I have no qualms.

3 As some might be aware many jobs in industry are given based on the "Old Boys" and Dare I say it "Old Girls' network where appropriate.

4 Many jobs do not even have an advertisement calling for suitably qualified Appicants, there are those that are"Head Hunted" without this requirement.

5 The risk you run with that strategy raises interesting questions. What specifically are you looking for, best person for the position or are there, "Other variables at play" You can draw your own conclusions here!

6 IMV if you are tagging a position with a very specific title such as Player Welbeing /Welfare ( and I have discussed elsewhere the distinctions of each) then what is considered "Benchmark" as a qualification that covers both Theoretical and Practical implications for this role?

7 IMV Persons who have played at the highest level will have an excellent understanding of the pressures of the requirement, and in this case the requirement to play AFL Footy, and they may be able to draw on experience to assist in SOME, but not all aspects concering Welbeing/ Welfare in player management.

8 I would consider a benmchmark qualification in this Job Description , even though I don't know what it is to be at LEAST A Masters Degree in Welbeing.

9 I say this because I know that Playing gives you some insight but to be the Complete Package you are best to have that playing experience and the Theoretical basis for your Process and Clinical application!

10 To me, a Grad Dip in Sports Science gives you some "Gravitas" but for a position titled Player Welbeing, a Masters in Welbeing is a much more credible qualification in this light and I should know, as I have quals in both domains!

11 BOTH women will probably do very good jobs and for the sake of the MFC i hope so. So returning to my previous statement If you are going to create a job and give it a tag ,then expect those who have the qualification to ask the questions which I have done, duly!

12 On other thing, If you think that AFL clubs don't follow an element of "Jobs for the boys" then you are one seriously deluded soul!

Thats it 

If you don't like it..... you are welcome to your opinion, but can "Get Stuffed" anyway!

Thats my take

Fence

I will not extend the benefit of doubt offered by others.

When have you questioned the credentials of a male appointed at the club? (Prior to this)  You have failed to answer that question, perhaps because it reveals your true nature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManDee said:

I will not extend the benefit of doubt offered by others.

When have you questioned the credentials of a male appointed at the club? (Prior to this)  You have failed to answer that question, perhaps because it reveals your true nature.

Fair point but I give him the benefit as this may just be a coincidence that it is the first time he has commented on it. If he fails to do in the future I may well take that benefit away. 

In my opinion, signing Michelle & Daisy is a no brainer.

This is a football club. They are talented & driven football people.

You can't ignore the positive impact they have had.

This club is become a positive career choice at every level. You could not have said that even 18 months ago.

This  type of forward thinking will continue to drive this club to a successful future.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, GM11 said:

In my opinion, signing Michelle & Daisy is a no brainer.

This is a football club. They are talented & driven football people.

You can't ignore the positive impact they have had.

This club is become a positive career choice at every level. You could not have said that even 18 months ago.

This  type of forward thinking will continue to drive this club to a successful future.

Spot on. All organisations benefit from having a diverse work force so its a big tick from that perspective, as you say they are obviously both very talented and driven and it will no doubt be a very positve move in terms of us setting up our women's team.  So as you say a no brainer. In the past though no brainers were beyond us (and it appears are now beyond the AFL)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mo64 said:

Just a question to the majority on here who are applauding the appointment. Are you doing so because it's an affirmative action initiative by the club, or do you believe that the appointment will strengthen our football department?

If the appointment is a display of affirmative action by the club, then they should be applauded. Do I think the appointment will change our fortunes in any way? No.

My views on any new appointment to the football dept is ambivalence. At the end of the day, the senior coach is the be all and end all, and drives the football dept. So whether the appointment was a male or female, it matters little to me from a football perspective.

In one word, yes.

Some more thoughts though:

Cowan:
Looks like she can do the job judging by qualifications - tick
Is a woman - bonus

Pierce:
Is a gun footballer - tick
Loves the club - tick (see her B&F speech)
Is a woman - part and parcel of her football ability since she can't play in there is no 'unisex' league - tick

46 minutes ago, Choke said:

In one word, yes.

Some more thoughts though:

Cowan:
Looks like she can do the job judging by qualifications - tick
Is a woman - bonus

Pierce:
Is a gun footballer - tick
Loves the club - tick (see her B&F speech)
Is a woman - part and parcel of her football ability since she can't play in there is no 'unisex' league - tick

Pearce - is an excellent media performer, great for the club....

• Like 2

Absolutley wonderful chaps to hear,if we the boys havn't won a game by round 3 then we can thank god for a good alternative.Well done,pip pip horray for the magnificient Melbourne Football Club.Keep up the good work chaps!. Where can I buy a Daisy t-shirt from? Speaking to a fellow D supporter he was wondering what is the back up if the boys and girls team fail. Perhaps I will take up basket weaving and then donate it to the basket case team. Sure to be one this year.Tally Ho eveyboby and nobody's

1 hour ago, ENYAW said:

Absolutley wonderful chaps to hear,if we the boys havn't won a game by round 3 then we can thank god for a good alternative.Well done,pip pip horray for the magnificient Melbourne Football Club.Keep up the good work chaps!. Where can I buy a Daisy t-shirt from? Speaking to a fellow D supporter he was wondering what is the back up if the boys and girls team fail. Perhaps I will take up basket weaving and then donate it to the basket case team. Sure to be one this year.Tally Ho eveyboby and nobody's

Food for thought .......... as always ENYAW!

I think Cowan is a great appointment. If I were a player, I would prefer a female in welfare (that's just me). Eventually females will coach, and some players will respond better to that, others will respond better to a male coach. They will have both options, I think they should have both options. The only challenge I see is the mixing of genders (from an off field standpoint), that is going to present some complex challenges for the AFL. But, that is Gil's problem, so long as he keeps his brother away, he should be ok to.

1 hour ago, ENYAW said:

Speaking to a fellow D supporter he was wondering what is the back up if the boys and girls team fail. 

We did try China. There up is always the Middle East with all the petro dollars. Can't see the women's team being a hit there though. Anyway distractions are a handy tactic to take the spotlight off  mediocrity.

Edited by america de cali

3 hours ago, ENYAW said:

Try another team or sport ENYAW. You're obviously lost here.

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

We did try China. There up is always the Middle East with all the petro dollars. Can't see the women's team being a hit there though. Anyway distractions are a handy tactic to take the spotlight off  mediocrity.

That was my initial reaction. I'm not questioning the credentials of the appointees as such, but these roles at a football club are minor, and barely newsworthy. Like the China experiment, nobody cares if we're not winning games.

• Like 1

Neil Mitchell interviewed Michele Cowan the other day:  http://www.3aw.com.au/news/melbourne-coach-michelle-cowan-speaks-with-neil-mitchell-on-3aw-mornings-20160204-gmlbsz.html 

The track goes for 8+minutes so here are the main points I heard:

-  Mitchell’s first up question: ‘When can we have a flag?’

-  Her role is to work with 1st and 2nd year players and help identify leaders

-  Very glowing of Peter Jackson:  …the most forward thinking man she has met and a remarkable leader

-  Mitchell asked if her role was player skills or motivation.  Answer: both

-  PJ made the call re a part-time role.  She couldn’t do it full-time due to a young family.  He rang her and said: 'how can we make this happen'. 

I recall that as a very similar question that PJ asked Roos several times until we eventually landed him!

-  Roos empowers his coaches and is very encouraging of her which helps earn player respect.

-  Mitchell question:  …Can you get inside Jack Watts’ head and turn him into the player he should be!!  Her response:  He is very different now from what she has seen in the last few years.

-  Mitchell tongue-in-cheek question  …Can you stop LH from running around in circles and hand balling to the opposition? 

I thought Michele spoke very well and sound a fairly relaxed, quietly confident person.  She will be valuable at the club.  Don’t think she will take any rubbish from the players or anyone else for that matter!;)

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4