Round 1 Team

CHF

3 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

But I'd prefer to be patient, respectful and caring in that process, especially with a young man who's given his heart and soul to this club in trying times. Shitty times that were not of his making.

Lovely mission statement, but how are you in control of Grimes and his fortunes at the MFC ?

Sorry PD, I really can't answer that without subjecting you to more"psychobabble"... and I'd hate to put you though that. :) 

Maybe its a loyalty thing and I'm just having a reaction to blind pie throwers having an ignorant crack at our maligned former captain. 

Its probably a question for you, what do you get out of peddling poorly informed, harsh judgements about a former captain, as facts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffen said:

This might be unpopular but i am not sure Brayshaw should come straight back in, he's best 22 in my opinion but like all young players i'd like to see him build some form through Casey for a week or two, the team that's just played has won three in a row, so keeping unforced changes to a minimum would be my plan i think

If he's plays in the practice game for Casey this weekend I can guarantee you he will be in the top few on the ground.

Will that be good enough?

We don't have enough class yet to leave a player of Brayshaw's calibre out...

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Sorry PD, I really can't answer that without subjecting you to more"psychobabble"... and I'd hate to put you though that. :) 

Maybe its a loyalty thing and I'm just having a reaction to blind pie throwers having an ignorant crack at our maligned former captain. 

Its probably a question for you, what do you get out of peddling poorly informed, harsh judgements about a former captain, as facts?

There's no character assassination going on.  You obviously value his output more than me and some others. 

I doubt Grimes will be best 22 in 2016 given a reasonable run with injuries.  Grimes poor decisions, turnovers and skill level hurts his cause.  Put simply for you, he doesn't damage the opposition with ball in hand.

You're going to be scratching your head when he's running around for Casey.

• Like 1

Over the NAB challenge a few questions were asked, one was just how many top ten draft picks we had playing.

The other was just how many players were going to come out of contract this year.

One thing lead to another, so I complied a list (just for my own interest.) Then thought perhaps it might be a handy reference for some on here interested. This is not my 1st round team, though it could be argued on paper, not a bad lineup to start with.

columns = Where they went originally in the draft (DP) then age ,height, weight ,games, Home state originally, and when contract expires.

The interchange is most of the players likely to play soon, in no order. Just treat as intended ,a 'rough' guide?.

(As I hope I have them all correct)

Team1.jpg

Team2.jpg

Edited by DeeVoted
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, DeeVoted said:

Over the NAB challenge a few questions were asked, one was just how many top ten draft picks we had playing.

The other was just how many players were going to come out of contract this year.

One thing lead to another, so I complied a list (just for my own interest.) Then thought perhaps it might be a handy reference for some on here interested. This is not my 1st round team, though it could be argued on paper, not a bad lineup to start with.

columns = Where they went originally in the draft (DP) then age ,height, weight ,games, Home state originally, and when contract expires.

The interchange is most of the players likely to play soon, in no order. Just treat as intended ,a 'rough' guide?. (As I hope I got them all correct)

http://s25.postimg.org/svt0y0n0f/Team1.jpg

http://s25.postimg.org/in0js6yyn/Team2.jpg

I'm interested & can't seem to view all the columns, can only see up to contract expiry year, not draft info. 

1 hour ago, DeeVoted said:

The interchange is most of the players likely to play soon, in no order. Just treat as intended ,a 'rough' guide?.

(As I hope I got them all correct)

Team1.jpg

Team2.jpg

Bernie may well be Benjamin Button, but he aint a 21 year old. Parties like one, absolutely!

• Like 2

My line up, based on seeing them at training and everything else on Foxtel. The coverage at Craigieburn was not up to the usual AFL quality.

B: Garland Dunn Jetta

HB: Bugg T Mac Salem

C: Viney Vince Tyson

HF: Watts Pedo Kent

F: Garlett Hogan Frost

Foll: Gawn Jones Brayshaw

Bench; Oliver, Harmes, AVB, Kennedy

Harmes, he looks like Robbo, enigmatic and can pick up a ball and kick it (not a KPI at draft camp)

Stretch, ANB, both solid, need some size, Petracca will go through Casey, Grimes not too far away.

Wagner & M King, they were giving game time to see how they reacted. Good inspiration for training.

I like O Mac, he will be there in a couple of years. And we are much better when we have McDonald brothers in the side.

Trengove, he's coming and move over when he does! I can't wait for it, he is the heart of this team!

On 13 March 2016 at 9:34 AM, grazman said:

Harmes unlucky, but someone has to miss out. Personally I think if Lumumba plays well at Casey next week he'll be picked, but there's no doubt he's going to have to play much better this year to hold a spot in the 22. 

Jetta    Dunn   Garland

Lumumba  McDonald  Salem

Vince  Tyson  Brayshaw

VDB  Pederson  Watts

Kent Hogan Garlett

Gawn, Jones, Viney

Int: Frost, Oliver, Bugg, Kennedy

Emerg: Harmes, M Jones, 

Nice that our younger players can get some continuity by developing together at Casey.  Looks a Handy sort of side too (though I think guys like Smith & King will play mainly Casey seconds). - Also not sure on the injury status of White & Newton.

Terlich  ???  Wagner

White O Mac Hunt

Grimes ANB Stretch

Petracca Weideman Mitchie

King Hulett JKH

King, Trengove, Matt Jones

Int Newton, Smith

INJ/Unavailable: Spencer, Dawes, Melksham

It may be mentioned in this thread somewhere but oliver and frost played 69 and 68% game time respectively. On a bigger ground for round 1 I don't think you can carry that. I think there is a fair chance on a bigger deck Oliver misses regardless of form based on ability to run out the game. Although I though Frost was much more involved including hands in three of our goal chains  I would not be surprised to see us go in with just hogan and pederson as talls particularly in the form Watts is also showing. 

Now that we've seen some actual footy, seen some things that have worked and some that haven't....

HB: Vince TMac Salem

C: vandenBerg Tyson Brayshaw

HF: Harmes Frost Kent

F: Watts Hogan Garlett

FOL: Gawn Jones Viney

INT: Oliver Bugg Kennedy Pedersen

EMG: M.Jones

Nearly pulled the trigger on Garland out for Lumumba, but I don't think H will be quite ready by round 1.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stuie said:

Now that we've seen some actual footy, seen some things that have worked and some that haven't....

Nearly pulled the trigger on Garland out for Lumumba, but I don't think H will be quite ready by round 1.

Thanks Stuie,

Variation on a theme, are you going to be at training tomorrow morning?

Grimes has no weapons and unreliable skills and has probably already been overtaken by the fresh batch of dynamic players coming into the club.  His loyalty and nice personality have nothing to do with anything.  Deal with it. Garland's point of difference is he has a permanent position and offers some coverage down back,  he is prone to the odd brain fade and plays with the flare of a stale sandwich but whilst we don't have a suitable replacement,  he stays. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jesse Christ said:

Grimes has no weapons and unreliable skills and has probably already been overtaken by the fresh batch of dynamic players coming into the club.  His loyalty and nice personality have nothing to do with anything.  Deal with it. Garland's point of difference is he has a permanent position and offers some coverage down back,  he is prone to the odd brain fade and plays with the flare of a stale sandwich but whilst we don't have a suitable replacement,  he stays. 

Would rather Garland than Dunn and given the best and fairest results last year and the election of the leadership group that's how the coaches see it too.

7 hours ago, stuie said:

Pretty happy to run with your team for the first two weeks Stuie and, like you, I agree that M. Jones was unlikely to miss out based on his NAB Challenge performances. The big question will come a few weeks into the season when Trenners and Petracca become ripe for selection. It has become harder than in the recent past to change the team (unless injuries prevail). Maybe Dawes, HL et al will develop an empathy with Terlich in their unscheduled careers for Casey?

11 hours ago, Captain Todd said:

Thanks Stuie,

Variation on a theme, are you going to be at training tomorrow morning?

Nah wasn't able to make it down. Haven't been down since pre-Christmas which is bugging me cos I'd like to see more of my ginger brother running around.

4 hours ago, CBDees said:

Pretty happy to run with your team for the first two weeks Stuie and, like you, I agree that M. Jones was unlikely to miss out based on his NAB Challenge performances. The big question will come a few weeks into the season when Trenners and Petracca become ripe for selection. It has become harder than in the recent past to change the team (unless injuries prevail). Maybe Dawes, HL et al will develop an empathy with Terlich in their unscheduled careers for Casey?

I reckon H is pretty much a lock for round 2 if he doesn't play round 1. Reports say the club are really keen to get him back. Will be tricky if we win round 1 though.

We're probably not used to it, but I guess once Trenners, Trac, Lumumba & Dawes are right to go we may be able to start managing players through the season like a good team does, and if Newton, ANB & JKH can get over their niggles and find some form then we have even more options.

10 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Training update just in:

"Brayshaw in full training.  Not even a bandage on his knee."

Damn it. Brayshaw in full training, a flawless NAB Challenge, Jeremy Cameron ruled out for the Giants as well as Trengove and Petracca both nearing a return. 

Can't something go wrong for this club for once?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Demon Jack said:

Damn it. Brayshaw in full training, a flawless NAB Challenge, Jeremy Cameron ruled out for the Giants as well as Trengove and Petracca both nearing a return. 

Can't something go wrong for this club for once?

Jesse Hogan and Tom Mcdonald both looking like staying on as well, way to much positivity, what ever happened to the old Melbourne?

1 hour ago, ProDee said:

Training update just in:

"Brayshaw in full training.  Not even a bandage on his knee."

He did the full session.  Looked 100% fit.  Petracca and Trengove also in full training.  AVB didn't train with the group but didn't look in any discomfort.

Mitch White did the full session - did he play last week at Casey?

Jack Viney was the notable no show.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Baghdad Bob said:

He did the full session.  Looked 100% fit.  Petracca and Trengove also in full training.  AVB didn't train with the group but didn't look in any discomfort.

Mitch White did the full session - did he play last week at Casey?

Jack Viney was the notable no show.

I was told Trengove "looked as sharp as anyone else".  Do you have a view, Bob ?

Tom McDonald said in his interview on the club website that match simulation would be ramped up on Friday and Monday, so I assume this was a lighter session.