Rate our Trade Period

ucanchoose

Rate our draft period  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Look at the outs from our delistings retirements and trading and what we replace them witk

Out

Cross

Jamar

Howe

Toumpas

Fitzpatrick

Bail

McKenzie

Riley

Rd 1 pick 2017

In

MilkShake

Bugg

Kennedy

Vanderburg

Pick 3

Pick 7

Pick 46

Pick 50

I rate that a B, would have been an A if we could have kept next years pick.

2nd round pick also out

I was feeling a little underwhelmed however this is against hoping for a "big fish". However, I am reassured after seeing the final wash-up. As others have commented, we have a group of blokes who show that they know what they are doing. They have the skills, know how and ability to get the best result.

I have wondered about Mahoney, but this draft has shown that he is an intelligent and competent operator. He is clearly no dummy.

As with other football matters this year, there are no damning media stories about us. Our guys clearly have done their homework, have a unified view and keep their cards close to their chest. What a difference from the past.

Mahoney's comments in today's media reflect a realistic view of our position and what we can hope to achieve. You can see that we are slowly and surely building a list that has the potential to grow into something better.

I have never felt so confident that we have a footy club that is going places. .

• Like 3

I think we turned a negative- not being able to get an established A grader, into a positive- turning average players & picks into 2 top 10 draft picks and some role players.

When you can turn a negative into a positive, you're a winner. I therefore award us an A.

Would be A++ if we trade pick 7 for Prestia today :roos:

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2

Trade Period = A. Not for the fact of the players and picks that we have managed to get but by the attitude in which we have got them.

Can't say i can remember a trade period where we got on the front foot and planted a flag.

Here's my prediction for the next few years.

2015 - I thought 6-8 wins. we got 7. Should have won 9 but you gotta lose some to win some.

2016 - i'm thinking 9-11 wins to set us up for a massive trade period next year to bring in some top end talent to add some polish. May sneak in or just miss out on finals . Ladder 8th - 11th. Crowds back up, membership up, the love is back. Hogan signs for another 5.

2017 - Lock for finals. 1st year of Goodwin's reign. Close final win / loss first week. Ladder 5th - 8th. Massive off field signing to catapault us on and off field.

2018 - Top 4 smokey. Ladder 3rd - 6th. Will win first final. Lose in heartbreaker in second week.. The premiership clock is at 10 PM. Our window opens now. A 2007 Hawthorn type year here. Goodwin extends by three years after 2018.

2019 - The years of buildup and patience now start to show. A top 4 lock. Ladder -1st - 4th. Goodwin's 3rd year playing attacking exciting football. haven't had this feeling since the days of "Run and Carry." Will make prelim. Injuries get us at the end of the season and we just couldn't sustain it.

2020 - It's 12 o'clock on the premiership clock. Our core that came through in 2013/14/15/16 are in their prime. Top 2 finish guranteed with the competition having us as favourites. It's an Essendon 2000 type of year. We just want it more than anyone else. This is Goodwin's team now. membership at 54,000. The siren sounds. The drought is over. A 6 goal win. Let the party of a lifetime start. We won this for Jonsey and the warriors who kept the flame burning through the dark times. We can all die happy now.

2021 - Do you think we would stop at just the one? Top 2 lock again. fly through to the Grand Final where once again our class and experience are just too good in a scrappy game. A 5 goal win. It's back to back . Goodwin doesn't say it, the players don't say it but we are all thinking it? 3-peat?

2022 - ?

Goosebumps reading this

Trade Period = A. Not for the fact of the players and picks that we have managed to get but by the attitude in which we have got them.

Can't say i can remember a trade period where we got on the front foot and planted a flag.

2015 - I thought 6-8 wins. we got 7. Should have won 9 but you gotta lose some to win some.

2016 - i'm thinking 9-11 wins to set us up for a massive trade period next year to bring in some top end talent to add some polish. May sneak in or just miss out on finals . Ladder 8th - 11th. Crowds back up, membership up, the love is back. Hogan signs for another 5.

2017 - Lock for finals. 1st year of Goodwin's reign. Close final win / loss first week. Ladder 5th - 8th. Massive off field signing to catapault us on and off field.

2018 - Top 4 smokey. Ladder 3rd - 6th. Will win first final. Lose in heartbreaker in second week.. The premiership clock is at 10 PM. Our window opens now. A 2007 Hawthorn type year here. Goodwin extends by three years after 2018.

2019 - The years of buildup and patience now start to show. A top 4 lock. Ladder -1st - 4th. Goodwin's 3rd year playing attacking exciting football. haven't had this feeling since the days of "Run and Carry." Will make prelim. Injuries get us at the end of the season and we just couldn't sustain it.

2020 - It's 12 o'clock on the premiership clock. Our core that came through in 2013/14/15/16 are in their prime. Top 2 finish guranteed with the competition having us as favourites. It's an Essendon 2000 type of year. We just want it more than anyone else. This is Goodwin's team now. membership at 54,000. The siren sounds. The drought is over. A 6 goal win. Let the party of a lifetime start. We won this for Jonsey and the warriors who kept the flame burning through the dark times. We can all die happy now.

2021 - Do you think we would stop at just the one? Top 2 lock again. fly through to the Grand Final where once again our class and experience are just too good in a scrappy game. A 5 goal win. It's back to back . Goodwin doesn't say it, the players don't say it but we are all thinking it? 3-peat?

2022 - ?

I smiled way too much reading this.

Imo the trade period is a b. Disappointed to lose Toumpas before he got a proper crack at it and will miss watching Howe. I expect that melksham and bugg will be best 22. Expecting less from Kennedy than I was from Toumpas - gws/ gc priority access means that the 2013 draft will go down as one of the worst of all time.

I like that the club ponied up and backed ourselves with the swapping of picks, but haven't done enough research in to the drafts (15&16) to comment on whether I think the deal was good or not.

That's like taking some of your pay from next month and spending and acting like it doesn't count even though your next pay cheque will obviously be lighter. VERY SIMPLE. We haven't gained any new picks.

That's an apt analogy, it's with noting though, that if you can gain a higher return by investing next months paycheck now you would do it. Essentially we have taken out a margin loan against next years draft pick.

• Like 4

That's like taking some of your pay from next month and spending and acting like it doesn't count even though your next pay cheque will obviously be lighter.

Except in this case, it's like saying we can give you $1000 this paycheck and $1000 next paycheck ....... or we can give you $2500 now.

• Like 1

The trading of the picks was very good. but I rated it average overall.

we still have a massive gap in our midfield as far as B+ and A talent goes. we also need a quality tall forward and outside class on the wing.

we brought in 3 young midfield types who have underwhelmed so far in their careers but hopefully one of two of them will turn into good players but hardly anything to get excited about.

this is not a rating of the recruitment staff or the club just of what was brought in. not much you can do when all the quality players dont want to come to us!

I guess we roll the draft dice again and hope for good luck

Lots of non MFC players fall below my radar. I am amazed at all those Demonlanders who know so much stuff about players from other clubs. Hats off to you.

Bugg's highlights on the MFC site are exciting. An aggressive and competitive left footer with pace and footy instincts. He looks a natural.

I love the fact that we are getting players with that aggressive streak.

So you like the last trade - but not the other trades that had to happen to do that last trade?

Didn't we just use the 2nd rounder in place of Howe for that trade? The others didn't need to happen for the GC trade, can't be bothered looking at all the details though.

Didn't we just use the 2nd rounder in place of Howe for that trade? The others didn't need to happen for the GC trade, can't be bothered looking at all the details though.

That trade involved ND10 to GWS for ND7.

ND10 was received in the trade with GC that required ND29.

ND29 was received in the trade with Collingwood/Adelaide/Port that required Howe and/or Toumpas.

Take out a 'mediocre trade' from that and it affects the last trade and we wouldn't have ND3 and ND7.

Another very impressive trade period and great to see we were switched on to the GC and GWS desire to offload high picks for points.

I probably feel we got a bit done over for what we got for Howey (effectively a 2nd and third rounder), but the Bugg deal was a huge coup and not just because we got another hardnosed player.

We got pick 3 (everyone had said before that the top four were clear and then it's a bit of lottery) and Bugg is left footer who can also play back.

The big losers from this trade period were:

Kent - unfortunately the club decided that his proneness to injury means we want another left foot small option in Kennedy.

JKH - He's now fourth small forward on the pecking list. Fifth in line if you include Petracca as a small forward. Has endurance so he must try and reinvent himself as a Jetta-style defender or even a wingman.

Newton - We all know he reads play well but he's too slow to play back and provide run. Bugg gives us a lefty-side player who can go into midfield, tag a gun wingman (Smith etc) and still play across half-back if Watts is on song.

Grimes - As much as I love his smarts, I suspect that both Bugg and Melksham will spend time down back. So it's hard to see where he gets a game unless his form in VFL is super hot. Still there was room for Crossy last year, so maybe Grimes can show his discipline is needed back there.

As to draft, we hopefully will go best mid (sounds like it is Parish or Francis) and best tall project (sounds like Weideman or Burton, but I have never seen them so wouldn't even attempt to try and rate them).

• Like 1

12.05pm: DEMONS DONE

Melbourne's crew of Josh Mahoney and Todd Viney have just left, with the departing comment: "Nothing to report - we're done."

But we're still getting Dangerfield right?

I don't care about picks outside of the top 20 and players outside the top 15 are interchangeable and replaceable - if you want to change your fortunes it is all about Top End Talent.

All we have done is take 2016's ND8 or ND10 and turned it into ND3.

We have shuffled some fringe players out and in - and I hope that Bugg and Melksham can add depth to our midfield and HBFs. That's not nothing.

But we haven't got the huge talent we wanted but that doesn't mean you get marked down - you can only deal with what is in front of you and we played this points system much better than any other team and better than I thought we would.

And again, all we have done is turn ND8-10 into the third pick in the draft for nothing.

Oh, wait - that's good.

• Like 3

Im changing to an A

I said B originally as I was worried about trading out the 2016 first rounder.

Truth is that should not matter, all it means is we are bringing our first rounder from next year a year ahead, and we are a good chance to outplay the break even value of that 2016 pick, making the trade a big win

Of course that all matters on who is picked and how they develop so we wont know for years, but for now its an A

And if you factor in the cultural change, bringing in competitors and backing ourselves in to rise up the ladder its an A++++

2022 - ?

Cute.

I wonder how many other clubs supporters have mocked up a similar template.

I miss Whiteboard Wednesdays....

• Like 1