Trade Radio Discussion

What

he might rotate back but he won't play predominantly there.

but these days, to be frank, you expect players to push back and forward no matter where they play.

That isn't what Mahoney says! “Jake Melksham’s been mentioned and he’s been targeted to play off half-back and he probably played that role for the last three or four games for Essendon this year,” he told Dee TV.

Of course, it is essential these days that all teams have 10-12 'on-ballers' but each play still has a main postition.

Anyway, I would take Mahoney's view rather than those on DL.

On a different note SEN are saying that if the McCarthy to Freo deal falls thru they may give their pick 16 for Jack Watts. They also said there is a strong sense at the trade meetings that Dawes and Grimes are actively being discussed as tradeable. As I stated in an earlier post, if the latter goes (be it now or when OOC in 2016) all the more reason for Melksham to come in as a replacement in the backline.

Forgot to mention that I heard Mahoney say in a trade interview this morning that our goal is to improve our list and to improve our draft position. Listen to him on the MFC badge here: https://audioboom.com/channel/afltraderadio

Perhaps we have earmarked our 'Big Fish' within our existing ranks and no longer need to chase one!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

On a different note SEN are saying that if the McCarthy to Freo deal falls thru they may give their pick 16 for Jack Watts.

Geez that would be nice for us

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

Nathan Brown full of comedy gold as usual. Suggesting that Collingwood will trade Ben Kennedy to us for pick 61. Based on their respective careers to date, we'll get pick 80 for Toumpas.

Earlier in the day they mentioned that Howe was a free agent so they obviously are very knowledgeable & across every detail!

• Like 3

Freo would be crazy to do that deal.

Maybe but they are also desperate for some tallish forwards.

I'm guessing that Pav is waiting for the outcome of the trade period to decide whether to retire. He probably wants to but won't leave his club in the lurch.

So if the McCarthy deal falls thru pick 16 will look a fair deal for them.

Struggling to keep track of the speculated out trades...

Howe - GWS Pick 6 upgrade to pick 3 plus Pick 22

Watts - Freo Pick 16

Toupas - Port pick 27 (second round!)

Dawes - ??

Grimes - ??

If all go through

Out: Pick 6, Howe, Watts, Toumpas, Dawes, Grimes.

IN: Pick 3, Pick 16, Pick 22, pick 27, pick ??, pick ??

• Like 1

Freo would be crazy to do that deal.

I would be staggered if Watts is traded, particularly for a first round pick. I think that he is more valuable to us than any other Club and both Roos and Goodwin would have clear plans on how they see him in the eventual structure, going forward.
  • Like 1

Watts - Freo Pick 16

Dawes - ??

Grimes - ??

If all go through

All rumours at this stage...save yourself some energy PaulRB...10 days yet to go!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Watts - Freo Pick 16

Dawes - ??

Grimes - ??

If all go through

If we could get Gresham and Rioli in id be happy

Watts - Freo Pick 16

Dawes - ??

Grimes - ??

If all go through

So we offload five 100+ game players and improve one pick for six kids? I am not sure that that would be Roos thinking!

I would be staggered if Watts is traded, particularly for a first round pick. I think that he is more valuable to us than any other Club and both Roos and Goodwin would have clear plans on how they see him in the eventual structure, going forward.

You must just love the guy. He doesnt command any respect from me. Trade him out and get someone competetive. I dont care how skilled or unskilled Watts is or supposed to be I don't want his lack of effort around the club any more influencing others Had his chance wish him all the luck in the future Time to go!!

• Like 3

So we offload five 100+ game players and improve one pick for six kids? I am not sure that that would be Roos thinking!

Doubt we'd take all those picks to the draft as we've already indicated Milksham and Bugg... with others mooted...

Roos and Goodwin would have had plans for Watts for 2 years now, and nothing has eventuated. What makes you think that next year will be any different? There's no doubt that the club has Watts on the trade table, but there appears to be little interest.

• Like 1

what an absolute bargain for geelong.

It's their first two picks and a promising young player. It seems cheap on paper, but practically speaking it's hard to see how they could have offered up any more. As a neutral supporter I think it's a good result.

Edit: The alternative was to spend time negotiating with picks they didn't have yet, then have to trade to get those picks to give Adelaide. That would have held up the trade and probably held up every other trade. I'm glad both clubs took the sensible and practical approach and got the job done early and fairly.

• Like 8

It's their first two picks and a promising young player. It seems cheap on paper, but practically speaking it's hard to see how they could have offered up any more. As a neutral supporter I think it's a good result.

The alternative would have been horrible - get Danger for free and keep pick 9, 28 and Gore

• Like 5

Edit: The alternative was to spend time negotiating with picks they didn't have yet, then have to trade to get those picks to give Adelaide. That would have held up the trade and probably held up every other trade. I'm glad both clubs took the sensible and practical approach and got the job done early and fairly.

Interesting to see what they give up for Henderson and Zac Smith. Players or next years draft picks would have to be involved.

• Like 1

Restricted Free Agency just worked quite well in the eyes of the Player Assoc.

The club has no chance to keep the player that wants to go but at least they get more value than if Danger was unrestricted.

I would tweak the FA rules but this one went well for the competition.

• Like 2