Paul Roos : "At least the players are trying"

It's not a matter of trying, it's kinda sort of that there's 3 player types at Melbourne:

1) Desperate to win player who's mindset never changes (Viney etc)

2) The majority, who play safe footy, which is not possible given the skill set we currently enjoy. At the first sign of trouble in a game, they look backwards, they lose confidence and direction, either forget the game plan or have no faith in it, second guess, then fumble etc etc. Eg,half the team.

3)The players caught in between. They started with desperation and through sheer loss repetition, are caught in transition between between Group 1) and 2). Most first and second year players

i agree... we need to stop safe footy. get aggressive and run run run

• Like 1

I'd rather he was honest and commented on the disgraceful umpiring (he has the money should he get fined for it)

I'd probably rather he comment on the disgraceful decision-making and skill execution, than blame that all on the umpires. We were second to the ball, tackled clumsily and fail to execute basic AFL-level skills.

This comment by Roos has been taken out of context

In isolation it sounds bad but in full, he stated, in response to a question on the sides poor disposal, “at least the players are trying to implement our faster game plan" but this leads to mistakes and turnovers

Pretty fair comment imo

• Like 8

Roos is doing a brilliant job of destroying their natural instinct and flair

Just finishing off what Neeld started.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Roosy didn't want to return to coaching because he was afraid of being found out on game day.

Been saying this all along but got howled down.

The emperor inherited a team from Rodney Eade, used a game plan devised by his assistant Ross Lyon , won a flag kicking a pitiful score by 1 point.

And as soon as his beloved swans started to slide he bolted for the couch with Mike to see out his days pretending he was a coaching genius.

Edited by Fork 'em

This comment by Roos has been taken out of context

In isolation it sounds bad but in full, he stated, in response to a question on the sides poor disposal, “at least the players are trying to implement our faster game plan" but this leads to mistakes and turnovers

Pretty fair comment imo

Thanks for the context. Munga wouldn't know the meaning of the word.

• Like 1

Been saying this all along but got howled down.

The emperor inherited a team from Rodney Eade, used a game plan devised by his assistant Ross Lyon , won a flag kicking a pitiful score by 1 point.

And as soon as his beloved swans started to slide he bolted for the couch with Mike to see out his days pretending he was a coaching genius.

[censored].

The Swans played for their coach. He built on a strong culture established by Barrassi and turned a solid team into a Premiership-winning one.

That Swans team had half the talent of the current one, and no where near as many match-winners as the Eagles.

But they played a disciplined style of team football, and often won games they should have lost.

I am not suggesting Roos isn't to shoulder some of the blame here, but he brought a flag to a club that hadn't won one in 70 years.

I think respect where it's due.

• Like 9

Honestly, I agree that a lot of the players are trying. The problem is that the coach isn't. He had to be convinced to take on the job and it's pretty clear his heart isn't really in it. He's giving us nothing on match day. He continues to allow the spare man in defence and refuses to change his "bomb it long to the square" gameplan despite the fact that this plays directly into the hands of an opponent who knows how to set up that spare defender. It's as if he's deliberately trying to sabotage our forwards.

Trying my foot. I think it is time to try Goodwin. After winning last week that was the most 'unprofessional' effort that I have witnessed live this year. There were quite a number of players who simply weren't trying today. They looked disinterested and they were not playing for the coach, the club or their team mates. A new game plan and a few more sprays are required with some of these flogs. Our biggest problem was our midfield who were not communicating with Gawn well about where his taps were going and not until the final quarter did they start to put their head over the ball, when of course the game was lost. Once again our 3rd quarter was abysmal. A 'please explain is now required from either the coach, the players or the board for that sub AFL performance.

Who's to say Goodwin isn't already basically the main man? I know they've said they'll give him more responsibility for the rest of the season, but who's to say that Roos isn't simply covering for Goodwin while he learns? Maybe too conspiratory, but I wouldn't imagine the game plan Roos has outlined would be vastly different from Goodwin's otherwise he wouldn't have chosen him as his successor. Would he?

[censored].

The Swans played for their coach. He built on a strong culture established by Barrassi and turned a solid team into a Premiership-winning one.

That Swans team had half the talent of the current one, and no where near as many match-winners as the Eagles.

But they played a disciplined style of team football, and often won games they should have lost.

I am not suggesting Roos isn't to shoulder some of the blame here, but he brought a flag to a club that hadn't won one in 70 years.

[censored].

He was in the right place at the right time.

Just as the talent someone else assembled matured.

And when the time came to rebuild his ageing list he shot through.

We dragged him off the couch by his wallet.

Edited by Fork 'em

Paul Roos game plan is now out dated.

Just look at the Swans they are going no where and they have players like Hannebery and Franklin.

I still don't understand why we rushed in to secure Goodwin. I'm not saying he won't be great, but who is to say another flag this year for Clarkson and the lure of bringing MFC back into the light, coupled with bags of cash, wouldn't be tempting?

We gave up too easily on Dew and haven't pursued a Hawthorn man hard enough IMHO.

I hope like hell I'm wrong. But 5 more years of this shizen?! No thanks!

• Like 3

A unique problem our club has compared to St Kilda, Doggies etc is that we have had to bring in a large number of senior players from other clubs, combined with blooding young players. At St Kilda and Doggies were playing deep in finals not too long ago including their senior players. We lack cohesion because our senior players have either learnt habits playing in the worst team of the decade or were not part of the future at the 3 clubs we picked up mature players

• Like 1

[censored].

Nobody is suggesting that Roos is a bad coach. I still rate him as the best in the business with the off-field stuff and his personal work with the players, but its his game day coaching that has me concerned. We're not versatile in the slightest, and don't win games unless the other team plays into our hands.

Paul Roos game plan is now out dated.

Just look at the Swans they are going no where and they have players like Hannebery and Franklin.

You mean Ross Lyons game plan.

• Like 1

Nobody is suggesting that Roos is a bad coach. I still rate him as the best in the business with the off-field stuff and his personal work with the players, but its his game day coaching that has me concerned. We're not versatile in the slightest, and don't win games unless the other team plays into our hands.

So who takes responsibility for the deplorable skills and decision making that just doesn't seem to be improving?

Surely they are coached during the week and not just on match day.