Casey Scorpions v Geelong

KC from Casey

Hunt took overlap handball and ran into open goal for his second.

Playing forward? Defensive forward might be a good place to play him to use his pace and stay up in the senior VFL side. Can't seem to get a good run of it at half back in the D League.

And it's all over - great win. Casey could jump into the eight on percentage and now has a huge game next week against Port Melbourne.

2015 Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions 5.3.33 8.3.51 11.6.72 14.9.93

Geelong Cats0.2.2 4.5.29 5.7.37 6.9.45

Goals

Casey Scorpions Hunt Papley 3 Newton 2 Byrnes Jamar McKenzie Moncrieff Morris Paredes

Geelong Cats Blease Hollmer Jansen Kolodjashnij Maas Read

Best

Casey Scorpions Jamar Michie Harmes Papley Fitzpatrick Hutchins

Geelong Cats Bartel Jansen Ruggles Kolodjashnij Horlin-Smith Rees

Disposals Harmes Michie 26 McKenzie 25 Hutchins 21

• Like 1

Margin 31 points after the Cats goal through Sam Blease.

How did he play?

Would be interested to know what position Jayden Hunt played.

I think the preamble said it was a bit make or break game - how did he go other than the goals?

Been off line - phone went flat.

Hunt was playing forward of centre. He came into his own in the third and more so last qtr. two really good marks outside top of goal square for 2 set shots. Second one the final siren went just before the ball drop and he shanked it but the marks were very impressive contested ones for a young guy who hasn't beefed up much yet.

Been off line - phone went flat.

Hunt was playing forward of centre. He came into his own in the third and more so last qtr. two really good marks outside top of goal square for 2 set shots. Second one the final siren went just before the ball drop and he shanked it but the marks were very impressive contested ones for a young guy who hasn't beefed up much yet.

Hunt and Harmes showing something is probably the best outcome from this match

• Like 7

Hunt and Harmes showing something is probably the best outcome from this match

Yes it is. I totally forgot Hunt existed, great to hear he did well against a very strong side.

• Like 1

Just got home from Casey. It was colder than a witches t*t. Fortunately the bacon rolls were warming. Great finish to a game impacted by the wind. Casey back line was great. Just wish Turlich would take the first option. Loved Harmes' game and Jamar's. Bleeding cold though and will need two bottles of red to warm up.

Another day 200 meters from home at one of the coldest places on earth and here's my breakdown.

McKenzie: Thought he was pretty decent today. Again, a few typical McKenzie disposals that hurt us, but he competed really well and was hard at it. Kicked a nice goal in the 2nd term and was involved in a few chains of posessions that resulted in goals for us.

Newton: Suprised he wasn't named in the best, as I thought this was the best game I've seen him play. Didn't get huge numbers, but he used it well and kicked two really class goals. Looked a notch above, but he needs to show the form of todat at AFL level next time he gets his chance. Played midfield/half forward.

Michie: Opposite to Newton in a way. Not saying he didn't play well, but I was suprised he was named in the best as he didn't seem to stand out today as much as I've seen him do so on other days. I normally see him as a link player, creating run and carry through the midfield, but he seemed to have more of an inside role this week, which is probably why he didn't stand out to me. But for the people that matter, he obviously played his role.

O. McDonald: Best game I've seen from the kid so far. Took some nice marks, spoilt especially well and used it equally as well coming out of the back half. Kept his feet in the one on one contests also which is important. He seemed to have a height/weight advantage on his opponent, but you can only beat the player your put up against. A very encouraging display today.

Hunt: First time I've really had an opportunity to watch him play closely and for most of the first half he seemed invisible. Then the stroke before half time he took a mark running back with the flight of the ball and converted and important kick after the siren and his confidence seemed to sky rocket from there. Showed some of his pace and tackling ability after half time and got on a chain of handballs t kick his second and followed it up with a nice contested grab for his 3rd shortly after, Could have kicked 4 but for missing a soda on the final siren. But given his injuries, he showed today he's worth a 1 year extension at seasons end in my book,

Jamar: Very good game in the ruck. Slaughtered Simpson not only in the hit outs but also around the ground. Have no doubt that another team will pick him up at seasons end for ruck depth. Sydney, GWS & Collingwood would all be in the mix for mine.

White: Musn't have played as I never sighted him.

Harmes: This kid will go close to winning Casey's B&F in my opinion. Contested ball winner who spreads and is very strong in the air also. Did his best Jeremy Howe impression in the final term, but just couldn't hold on. Best on ground for mine and I hope he's promoted off the rookie list at years end. Because if he isn't, I have no doubt another team will grab him and we could end up with egg on our face as a result.

Terlich: At times he was very good, at other times he was worse then hopeless. That is the problem that is Sean Terlich. He showed really nice run and kicking into spce at times and his defensive running was pretty good. On multiple occasions though he kicked it either out on the full or directly to Geelong. It's hard to push your case for promotion to the seniors with those sorts of performances.

King: Similar to Hunt, very quiet early, but worked his way into the game well to finish with a reasonable performance despite zero goals. Probably should have kicked at least 2, in the end kicked 0.4 with one into the man on the mark. His ruck work was impressive during the periods he competed in there, so he's certainly got tools to work with. He still needs to improve his body work. Very dangerous when he gets a chance to run and jump at it. In a body on body contest though, he's far less threatening.

Fitzpatrick: Great game down back. He just reads it so well down there which is amazing for a guy who's looked totally lost at times in his first 5 years forward. Took plenty of marks, made plenty of spoils, and he ran off his opponent with ease. If we don't keep him at seasons end, he's at least showing enough to make sure we should get something at least reasonable in a trade exchange.

• Like 18

Terlich: At times he was very good, at other times he was worse then hopeless. That is the problem that is Sean Terlich. He showed really nice run and kicking into spce at times and his defensive running was pretty good. On multiple occasions though he kicked it either out on the full or directly to Geelong. It's hard to push your case for promotion to the seniors with those sorts of performances.

"worse than hopeless". OUCH!!!!

Poor Sean Terlich.

• Like 5

"Probably should have kicked at least 2, in the end kicked 0.4 with one into the man on the mark. "

The conditions may have played a part but i understand he is normally considered a very nice kick? Regardless I'd rather he kick none from 5 shots than one from one. He is generating chances so hopefully it comes together.

Another day 200 meters from home at one of the coldest places on earth and here's my breakdown.

McKenzie: Thought he was pretty decent today. Again, a few typical McKenzie disposals that hurt us, but he competed really well and was hard at it. Kicked a nice goal in the 2nd term and was involved in a few chains of posessions that resulted in goals for us.

Newton: Suprised he wasn't named in the best, as I thought this was the best game I've seen him play. Didn't get huge numbers, but he used it well and kicked two really class goals. Looked a notch above, but he needs to show the form of todat at AFL level next time he gets his chance. Played midfield/half forward.

Michie: Opposite to Newton in a way. Not saying he didn't play well, but I was suprised he was named in the best as he didn't seem to stand out today as much as I've seen him do so on other days. I normally see him as a link player, creating run and carry through the midfield, but he seemed to have more of an inside role this week, which is probably why he didn't stand out to me. But for the people that matter, he obviously played his role.

O. McDonald: Best game I've seen from the kid so far. Took some nice marks, spoilt especially well and used it equally as well coming out of the back half. Kept his feet in the one on one contests also which is important. He seemed to have a height/weight advantage on his opponent, but you can only beat the player your put up against. A very encouraging display today.

Hunt: First time I've really had an opportunity to watch him play closely and for most of the first half he seemed invisible. Then the stroke before half time he took a mark running back with the flight of the ball and converted and important kick after the siren and his confidence seemed to sky rocket from there. Showed some of his pace and tackling ability after half time and got on a chain of handballs t kick his second and followed it up with a nice contested grab for his 3rd shortly after, Could have kicked 4 but for missing a soda on the final siren. But given his injuries, he showed today he's worth a 1 year extension at seasons end in my book,

Jamar: Very good game in the ruck. Slaughtered Simpson not only in the hit outs but also around the ground. Have no doubt that another team will pick him up at seasons end for ruck depth. Sydney, GWS & Collingwood would all be in the mix for mine.

White: Musn't have played as I never sighted him.

Harmes: This kid will go close to winning Casey's B&F in my opinion. Contested ball winner who spreads and is very strong in the air also. Did his best Jeremy Howe impression in the final term, but just couldn't hold on. Best on ground for mine and I hope he's promoted off the rookie list at years end. Because if he isn't, I have no doubt another team will grab him and we could end up with egg on our face as a result.

King: Similar to Hunt, very quiet early, but worked his way into the game well to finish with a reasonable performance despite zero goals. Probably should have kicked at least 2, in the end kicked 0.4 with one into the man on the mark. His ruck work was impressive during the periods he competed in there, so he's certainly got tools to work with. He still needs to improve his body work. Very dangerous when he gets a chance to run and jump at it. In a body on body contest though, he's far less threatening.

Fitzpatrick: Great game down back. He just reads it so well down there which is amazing for a guy who's looked totally lost at times in his first 5 years forward. Took plenty of marks, made plenty of spoils, and he ran off his opponent with ease. If we don't keep him at seasons end, he's at least showing enough to make sure we should get something at least reasonable in a trade exchange.

Great summary. You forgot to rate the bacon rolls. And yes it must be one of the coldest places in Victoria. I liked Fitzy moving forward at times, gave a great option.

White: Mustn't have played as I never sighted him.

Did Mitch White play development today?

White didn't play in either Casey team today.

He probably would be a candidate for mystery injury of the week but Heritier beat him to the punch by a couple of days.

• Like 2