THE SAGA CONTINUES - WADA APPEALS

Makes perfect sense. The media, EFC and AFL from day one have tried to seperate Dank and EFC and the players. They have tried to make it two seperate issues. Today they made yet another move to make Dank look like the bad guy (which he probably is). Wait a week or so and there will be more about how hard done by the players are.

It is all to get the public to think how they want the public to think. EFC has been massively successful in their media campaign from day one. This is just another example of it continuing.

Thanks Chris. I told you I was naive!

• Like 2

5149814-3x2-340x227.jpg

ABC chairman James Spigelman to judge Dons case

The chairman of the ABC, James Spigelman, and a Belgium-based barrister will hear the World Anti-Doping Agency's appeal in the Essendon case at the Court of Arbritration for Sport.

Spigelman, a former chief justice in NSW who is midway through his term as chairman of the ABC, was nominated by the 34 current and former Essendon players to sit on the upcoming case at CAS. WADA has nominated Romano Subiotto, a Swiss-born British barrister and QC who practises in Brussels and London and is experienced in anti-doping cases, as its representative.

This leaves the CAS to make its appointment and complete the three-member panel that will hear the case – expected to be heard in either Lausanne, Switzerland, or in Sydney. It is up the panel to decide where the case is heard, subject to the court's approval.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/abc-chairman-james-spigelman-to-judge-dons-case-20150616-ghpjk6.html

Strange choice, considering how anti-ABC the entire Murdoch propaganda machine has become.

Would've thought this decision goes against the players, but who knows. The entire media industry is incestual one way or another.

Interesting to read Dank referring to the healing effects of one of his potions on periodontal "sockets" ( which do not exist)

Doesn't look as if he either had a good grasp of research or understand the rudiments of what was meant to have occurred.

Try pockets Stephen

5149814-3x2-340x227.jpg

ABC chairman James Spigelman to judge Dons case

The chairman of the ABC, James Spigelman, and a Belgium-based barrister will hear the World Anti-Doping Agency's appeal in the Essendon case at the Court of Arbritration for Sport.

Spigelman, a former chief justice in NSW who is midway through his term as chairman of the ABC, was nominated by the 34 current and former Essendon players to sit on the upcoming case at CAS. WADA has nominated Romano Subiotto, a Swiss-born British barrister and QC who practises in Brussels and London and is experienced in anti-doping cases, as its representative.

This leaves the CAS to make its appointment and complete the three-member panel that will hear the case – expected to be heard in either Lausanne, Switzerland, or in Sydney. It is up the panel to decide where the case is heard, subject to the court's approval.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/abc-chairman-james-spigelman-to-judge-dons-case-20150616-ghpjk6.html

OMG Is he an Essendon Supporter/Sympathiser?

Trust nothing about Essendon and the drones who player/supporter that EVIL Club.

As improbable as it sounds it may just be the case. Imagine being the Integrity Officer at the AFL, what a horribly conflicted position that would be. I can just see Gil now."Look the other way Brett while me and Mr little sort this one out"

I think you miss understand the intention of the Integrity Officer's role at the AFL as it appears to be responsible for the removal of anyone who has any integrity from positions of power at the AFL. Otherwise I have no idea why they would have such a position because I am unable to see any indication of integrity in the leadership of the AFL. As all I can see is greed and self interest.

• Like 7

I think you miss understand the intention of the Integrity Officer's role at the AFL as it appears to be responsible for the removal of anyone who has any integrity from positions of power at the AFL. Otherwise I have no idea why they would have such a position because I am unable to see any indication of integrity in the leadership of the AFL. As all I can see is greed and self interest.

I am going to copy and paste this comment into the next 'fan survey' the AFL does.

100% agree.

• Like 3

Strange choice, considering how anti-ABC the entire Murdoch propaganda machine has become.

Would've thought this decision goes against the players, but who knows. The entire media industry is incestual one way or another.

I think the choice of Speigelman is a result of having the least worst appointed by Essendon players. He is an outstanding jurist and man.

http://www.saxton.com.au/james-spigelman/

I'm sure the Essendon players were looking first for an Australian Arbitrator, preferably at least an Essendon supporter, or someone sympathetic to Essendon's plight. Their initial effort to draft an ex High Court judge, and a known Essendon supporter onto the CAS panel, was never going to fly. Their choices from there were very limited if they stuck to the Australian list, as either most of the rest were either involved in some way with the case (and therefore excluded), or were affiliated with Olympics sports which would mean they would have very little sympathy for the Drug taking in sport.

What they have got, is someone of outstanding integrity, and who, given his record, will at least come to the task with an open mind. There is no evidence of his AFL affiliations that I know of, and since he has lived most of his life in Sydney is probably a rugby supporter and a Swan's man if he has any leanings towards the AFL at all. By the fact he is on the CAS list of Arbitrators would indicate some interest in sport, but no evidence of bias that I know of.

Interestingly, my brother is an ex Olympian, and a lawyer himself, as well as being an ex demon supporter and now a Sydney residing Swans fanatic, and close to the Swans board. When I spoke to him at our annual get together at the Swans/Demons game, we discussed the Essendon saga and he initially at least thought the Essendon players should get off, but Hird, the Essendon management, coaching staff and board should all be banned for life from sports administration, and that Worksafe should throw the book at them.

It was only after I showed him the Demonland discussion on the topic he agreed there probably was a case for at least some of the players to go as well. I understand he also knows Speigelman through Sydney legal and business circles, although I have not talked to him about this issue since Speigelman's appointment was announced. If his (my brother's) attitudes are indicative of senior swans supporters' attitudes to the Essendon saga, then I don't like Essendon's chances of escaping, but the players may get at least a sympathetic hearing.

However, I think in the interests of a fair outcome, Speigelman is about as good as we could have hoped for as the Essendon Players appointment, and probably the sole Australian on the panel.

• Like 4

In order to fully understand the role of the AFL Integrity Officer you need to read George Orwell.

I think the choice of Speigelman is a result of having the least worst appointed by Essendon players. He is an outstanding jurist and man.

I fully endorse that. Jim will seriously fulfill his role in reaching a fair and just decision and will be right on top of the evidentiary issues in this case (I'm sure that the other two will as well) and not be influenced by the vested interests of the sporting body or of the club involved.

• Like 4

Interestingly, my brother is an ex Olympian, and a lawyer himself, as well as being an ex demon supporter and now a Sydney residing Swans fanatic, and close to the Swans board. When I spoke to him at our annual get together at the Swans/Demons game, we discussed the Essendon saga and he initially at least thought the Essendon players should get off, but Hird, the Essendon management, coaching staff and board should all be banned for life from sports administration, and that Worksafe should throw the book at them.

Well, if that's the case we will need to find a new coach.

IMHO that has always been a possibility. When this thing explodes after the CAS verdict is delivered, the whole of the Essendon operation from that time will come under examination by ASADA, Worksafe and even the police. It is far from over, and I don't think anyone will really escape completely.

Since 2013, we have wisely stayed away from recruiting Essendon players. We took a chance on Goodwin. I hope it is the right choice, but I fear it may have consequences.

One thing we should recognise though, we cannot expect justice to be done across the board at Essendon from that time, but expect those from then and now affiliated to the MFC to get off. It would be somewhat hypocritical. Let's hope there can be proven to be at least some innocent parties out of the Essendon coaching staff from that time.

you mean a new assistant :rolleyes: we have a coach ^_^

you mean a new assistant :rolleyes: we have a coach ^_^

You know what I mean 'bb' but...

For those in the know, what is the position with coaches in this situation. My understanding is that it would be difficult for WADA to take action against Hird and his crew of which Goodwin was one unless they were found to actually administer anything illegal.

The players are in the gun for obvious reasons and Dank for being directly in control and administering substances.

• Like 1

For those in the know, what is the position with coaches in this situation. My understanding is that it would be difficult for WADA to take action against Hird and his crew of which Goodwin was one unless they were found to actually administer anything illegal.

The players are in the gun for obvious reasons and Dank for being directly in control and administering substances.

They can get coaches as well, if they are responsible for sponsoring and supporting such a program eg armstrong's coaches. They do not have to do the injecting themselves. It is as much as anything "intent". I have been predicting for some time that the CAS case will be folloowed by a number of Essendon coaches/administrators being issued with infraction notices by ASADA. I still think this will still be the case.

Hird, his assistants, the essendon admin, and the Board are in much more danger from the like of Worksafe and the law in general. Directors could come under scutiny from the company regulator if the WADA appeal succeeds for neglect of directors' duties, and hird and coaches under general anti-drug laws.

As i said in my earlier post, there is still a long way to go in this

• Like 1

As pointed out by Dees2014, we took a risk with Goodwin. In fact given that he admitted taking injections, we were taking a big risk. Possibly a very unwise decision given the circumstances. It was said that the club was happy with his admissions on interview but still seemed a surprising decision to give him the job given the circumstances. Goodwin condoned the program and took some of the injections himself, very much "whatever it takes." Brings into doubt his thinking and decision making.

• Like 3

Don't they (i.e. Hird and Co.) have a responsibility for initiating/agreeing to the drug program? At the very least it is lamentable governance for a sports administrator and should be censured for that alone.

Perhaps Goodwin has divulged what his involvement was in the program and what it actually constituted and could have taken advantage of penalty diminution?

• Like 1

Don't they (i.e. Hird and Co.) have a responsibility for initiating/agreeing to the drug program? At the very least it is lamentable governance for a sports administrator and should be censured for that alone.

it will have to be something more serious than just "governance" for asada to charge them

they have already been "punished" for "governance" using asada evidence and specially prepared interim report for this purpose

it would have to be along the lines of approving/condoning/abetting use of banned substances