Lay off Jack Watts...

hardtack

His work-rate was appalling this week. But you wouldn't know that if you weren't at the game.

I thought that you would come up with this PD/BH/Hannibal/LoneWolf/TweedPig again...

Is it the only thing you have?

You have been quiet with this 'devastating' knock on me and others that live interstate for two weeks while, you know, the footy hasn't been in Melbourne and here you are again.

You don't have to read my posts - they my contain my opinions - so constantly qualifying them for others that don't realise I live in Canberra isn't necessary. I think most would know by now...

But thank you for your interest.

• Like 2

Pedersen was emergency for last nights game. IF Watts was to have a spell in the VFL I'd be suggesting Pedersen and not Grimes to replace.

far too logical....desist
  • Like 1

It's completely accurate.

Ok, then my eyes must be deceiving me. But of course you're must be right.

By the by is RPFC correct in suggesting you are Ben Hur/Hannibal? If so it would explain alot

• Like 1

I was at the game and i watched him closely. Your comment is completely untrue

Agree. I thought he went hard at a few contests. He didn't get hurt and hopefully that builds confidence. He missed a soft mark and a couple of passes, but so did everyone else.

He is a work in progress.

In an improving Dees side, he will be more value as we go along, with him being considered a minor player by the opposition and possibly getting the 4th best defender.

• Like 3

Ok, then my eyes must be deceiving me. But of course you're must be right.

By the by is RPFC correct in suggesting you are Ben Hur/Hannibal? If so it would explain alot

His work rate and efforts were insipid. I agree that wet weather doesn't suit him, it never has, but that is an indictment in itself. Insipid players look doubly soft in the wet.

I can assure you that the only people following football that continually provide excuses for this player are Melbourne supporters. If you don't support Melbourne you see it for what it is.

The problem with Jacky is his effectiveness in many a game is transient. He did half a dozen good things last night...provided some lamentable moments also. Many of his involvements in contests prove ineffectual He has to change rhis if hes to mean anything in the team. Some things he gets going with but ofyen it looks half hearted. So many times ive seen him pull back on his acceleration and leave an opponent to an easier disposal. With his speed and stretch id like to see some outstretched smothers or spoils. Never does it..just watches..fair dinkum..i mean really.

Brayshaw vanDemon Salem could taje him for some "tackling" lessons.

You guys seriously must sit there and watch every little thing he does. I didn't think Newton was that great last night he did OK but I don't see anyone giving it to him. You are fixated on his draft number which this club needs to get over. It's just a number and shouldn't change the way we assess any player.

• Like 6

Its no wonder Jack lost confidence this week. Every day, every newspaper, every tv and radio program has talked 'Jack Watts' and even those that meant well did so by highlighting his weaknesses. The young man has had this crushing pressure on him since day one. Yet he goes out into the cauldron week after week, cameras and lights blazing. That my friends takes courage!

I wish I had the time to compile the stats for other recent #1 picks"

Kreuzer

Gibbs

Murphy

Scully

Whitfield

Patton

Some have played more games, some less. Some have had injuries some not. But crikey Jack is one of the best performers among them. He is what he is. He is one of us. He plays the role asked of him (which may not be what DL's want of him). Embrace him, warts and all.

• Like 10

No doubt that his confidence is shot. His strengths which are clean hands and good foot skills have been poor this year, including the GC game.

Usually if a player is down on confidence, the coach will tell them to concentrate on the defensive aspects of their game, and the rest will come. Unfortunately for Jack, he doesn't have the heart for the contest, and that's being magnified when 1st and 2nd year players in Brayshaw, Hogan, VDB and Salem are showing him up.

The most infuriating thing about his game last night for mine was early in the 3rd quarter when he gave away a free kick close to goal for a high tackle. All night you could see the Melbourne players being focussed on tackling correctly and not over committing to the tackle. Watts just threw an arm out and collected Cotchin high. IMO, that sums up Watts' attitude to defense. He makes token efforts and thinks that that's ok. Robbo was similar in that respect.

Well summarised.

We need to have some maturity and not turn it into a slinging match where anyone critical of Watts' game is thrown in the "Watts basher" basket. His place in the 22 must be up for discussion soon, if it isn't aready.

Carey post match couldn't defend his efforts. The problem with Carey's original defence of Watts dropping the head was that he was treating it as an isolated incident ("every player will have one of those in his career"). This is a pattern with Watts that Carey didn't acknowledge, and it's bitten him the very next week.

I thought he was actually a little better this week than last, but his confidence is shot right now. Contested scraps don't suit him at all and when his skills are off, which they have been since Round 1, it's hard to defend having him out there. Thank god for our solid back six who are consistently able to mop up the mess.

Hopefully it doesn't rain next weekend. Wet weather is only making things worse. I'd like to see him in dry conditions again before calling for him to be dropped.

His work rate and efforts were insipid. I agree that wet weather doesn't suit him, it never has, but that is an indictment in itself. Insipid players look doubly soft in the wet.

I can assure you that the only people following football that continually provide excuses for this player are Melbourne supporters. If you don't support Melbourne you see it for what it is.

You didn't answer my question

Last time i looked Wayne Carey wasn't a dees fan.

Watts is by far our leading score involvement player. By far. In simple terms we are more likely to score and therefore win with him in the side. Roos knows this and this why he ris in the team. If people don't understand this then they don't understand football.

• Like 3

Agree. I thought he went hard at a few contests. He didn't get hurt and hopefully that builds confidence. He missed a soft mark and a couple of passes, but so did everyone else.

He is a work in progress.

In an improving Dees side, he will be more value as we go along, with him being considered a minor player by the opposition and possibly getting the 4th best defender.

work in progress/getting 4th defender.....closes eyes in marking contest, poor defensively.

There are numerous arguments you can mount for and against Watts. I want to see Pedo given another chance.

Watts can join Grimes on the trade table come years end.

Its no wonder Jack lost confidence this week. Every day, every newspaper, every tv and radio program has talked 'Jack Watts' and even those that meant well did so by highlighting his weaknesses. The young man has had this crushing pressure on him since day one. Yet he goes out into the cauldron week after week, cameras and lights blazing. That my friends takes courage!

I wish I had the time to compile the stats for other recent #1 picks"

Kreuzer

Gibbs

Murphy

Scully

Whitfield

Patton

Some have played more games, some less. Some have had injuries some not. But crikey Jack is one of the best performers among them. He is what he is. He is one of us. He plays the role asked of him (which may not be what DL's want of him). Embrace him, warts and all.

His draft pick makes him a target, but it's more than that. It's also that everyone recognises his natural talent, but despairs at his incredibly soft displays.

Gumbleton - pick 2 - out of the game

Day - pick 2 - a big disappointment, who has just been dropped

Boyd - pick 1 - but looks lost at AFL level, notwithstanding last week's improved display

Not sure why you've included Whitfield, who leads the competition in goal assists; and despite others on your list not justifying their pick number, most are well ahead of Watts.

I believe he brings much of it on himself, but the burden would be extreme.

He was great in round 1 and I think that's all anyone asks. That level of effort and consistency.

Contact sport just isn't his go.

• Like 2

Watts is by far our leading score involvement player. By far. In simple terms we are more likely to score and therefore win with him in the side. Roos knows this and this why he ris in the team. If people don't understand this then they don't understand football.

Its easier to mark the ball with your eyes open. If you don't understand this then......

A work in progress ???

Fmd.. just pension him off now...geebus !!!

• Like 2

I recognise what he brings to the team and posted that I didn't want him dropped this week.

As pointed out by another poster, Carey made a mistake, because he was treating last week as though it was an isolated incident. It wasn't. Jonno Brown and others didn't quite share Carey's view and Carey has since shifted his stance after yesterday's debacle.

Watt's timidity is amplified when compared to others in the team. You can be "desperate" without being built like a beast.

Anyway, enough of Watts. He's now a minor cog in an improving young team. He's not worth the print.

• Like 1

Watts kept presenting and could have clunked a few late, as usual he worked his ass off and at 6.5 in the wet did what he could to contribute and will play next week .

Watts kept presenting and could have clunked a few late, as usual he worked his ass off and at 6.5 in the wet did what he could to contribute and will play next week .

When Watts runs flat out to create a contest then he you can say he presents....He doesn't.

He runs half pace, dragging his opponent into contests.

The only thing keeping him in the side is that there are no better options ( at the moment)

Come year end he won't be in the side, and come year end he won't be in team.

• Like 2

Its easier to mark the ball with your eyes open. If you don't understand this then......

I suspect Howe often doesn't look at the ball at the last minute when he is taking a speccy. Should be dropped.

cant remember if it was Denis or Bruce.

Passage of play...coming off near hbf effecting switch through guts..paraphrasing as can't remember exactly but gist..

" looking to get it into the 50...Watts there, but wont go there, looking for...."

Essence being the commentary understood what was likely here...ie players dont look to Watts (much)...?quite telling i thought.

Jack Watts is a very talented footballer. Any team would have him. Thats the bottom line. He has shown his loyalty to this club with no fuss. Because of that he will be a part of our success in the next few years. He is uncannily smart at times, sees the game different to many other players. I look forward to the day he gets his proper dues. Even yesterday in a bad day at the office he still contributed in other ways.

• Like 1

Watts was an utter embarrassment last night. Lazy, weak and lacking urgency. I can't believe anyone could be at the game and suggest otherwise.

It's disrespecting the others players to have him run out beside them.

Calm down matey. Think you're being a bit OTT.

• Like 1

If you listen carefully to the commentary last night the Duck made a comment about Watts dropping his head again... and stated that you can get away with it one or two times in your career, but not every week. The mark he dropped on the HFF (while a wet ball, and understandable) involved a last minute duck of the head. In the GWS game and against Adelaide he crashed the pack, but the issue here is that he's never, ever going to take those marks. He'd be a much better player in a top four side, but in a side that's battling for credibility his deficiencies are being laid bare.

• Like 2