• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - ROUND 1, 2015

Demonland

Toump will be just fine, but for the time being he isn't best 22. He'll cement a spot by next year, especially if Crossy retires.

Yeah, it's frustrating, especially when you see the other players from the same draft who exploded into AFL and are dominating, but it doesn't happen to everyone.

Agreed - you'd think the Watts experience would give some supporters some perspective. He's still a kid and he has clear talent.

• Like 1

I must say I thiught of it as "a pivotal moment" in the game. Pressure from Viney all day wore him down.

JKH was just soooooo composed. A hugely impressing young man.

Some near me were bagging some of Viney's disposal. Well, his disposal of Ablett was superb. A master call by Roos in having him run with Ablett most of the game. He will learn a lot and be a better player for it. Gutsy call by the coach.

We beat a team that would have played finals last year but for Ablett's injury. Have you considered perhaps that we made them look not so good?

As far as I am aware Harry O is Brazilian not African.

Never thought I would ever be cheering for him but I went hoarse after his goal in Q4

you do realise there is a lot of african blood in brazil? the two aren't mutually exclusive

Really think the toump will be a good player. But it is going to take time,it's above the shoulders - looks like a combination of nerves and self applied pressure. Being far from a league level coach really don't know how the fix occurs - could be he needs time in the big league to just get acquainted with the extreme levels of internal and external pressure or is it sustained time at the lower level to maximise the internal workings and be confident and composed about himself and what he offers. However it comes and I believe it will, he needs to get a 28 year old head on his 20 year old body and get over the doubts.

After today, I reckon it needs to be at Casey for a while, just because it now needs to be about best 22 and wins and develop the traditional way... in the 2's until you're ready

Toumpas just doesn't look damaging when he's in play. He lacks presence, his kicking doesn't look like penetrating, tackling is meh, footy smarts okay...

I want him to be a player but at this stage I just can't see any future.

Hope I'm wrong..

• Like 1

How good was the play through the centre of the ground, none of this using the boundary with short kicks.

Up the middle and we looked like we we're a fit team with leg speed. The boys looked in good shape Howe and Viney looked fit. It's great to see Howe and Watts finally having a big impact on a game, it has taken a while but they might finally be there.

Very strange. 12 marks and 26 touches was brilliant. Mopped up everything that came in and provided some decent rebound as well. 3 votes from me, I think he definitely had a better game than Howe, who was named in the best.

he got bog on abc radio

ye good on him. No grudges here.

My understanding is that the MFC chose not to re-recruit him in view of the risks. Understandable after two unproductive years. If true, his attendance today is all the moe admirable. He always professed a great love for the MFC - maybe it was true after all.

Some quirks from today:

1. Our greatest winning margin since Round 4, 2013.

2. Our highest score since Round 4, 2013.

3. Including Prestia, we had the top 5 possession winners on the ground.

I could go on, but I loved the way we played. The quick way we moved the ball - what team were we watching? It helps having the cattle to pull that off. Full marks to the recruiting team for not only adding quality players but adding guys who can use the ball and take the game on.

I've watched the Lumumba goal several times. Spine-tingling.

Now that Sydney's below us on the ladder, it will also be the first time we end a round (any round) in the top 8 since Round 14, 2011.

I don't know what to say.

We Bloody well won.

I guess what else is there to say.

Hard to believe after so many years OD

You little ripper!

I just looked at the AFL ladder and thought they had it the wrong way up :blink:

• Like 3

Hard to believe after so many years OD

You little ripper!

I just looked at the AFL ladder and thought they had it the wrong way up :blink:

It is taking a while to sink in.

My wife said to me you are unusually quiet after this win.

I still am having trouble with the concept, it seems so foreign.

This is probably going to sound strange but my day grew immeasurably better when the druggies got done.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 12

Vince for Toumpas is an easy one for me. Not sure who replaces him as the sub though? Brayshaw looked right at home in the starting 18.

We scored over 100 points without Dawes even playing. Hogan was still highly effective even as the number one key forward.

You have to wonder about what we'll do with Dawes next week... who goes out for him, if anyone?

I would be tempted to say Frost out for Dawes

Nope

I reckon just bring Vince in for Toumpas. Leave the team as it is.

Yep

Don't tinker too much with a winning formula. Some minor fine tuning of the obvious is ok (Vince for Toump)

Some observations from level two MCC:

Before this game I felt we were a chance only if we were first to the ball, hardest at the contest and tackled with ferocity and intent for most of the day. Which we did. Without doubt.

I knew like most others do that we couldn't try and match it with them skill wise and there were still patches of play in which they moved the ball with such ease from one end of the ground to the other. They also hit more targets inside their forward 50. We wasted many opportunities with poor inside 50 entries due to decisions and footskills.

But we know that is all a work in progress. And by work in progress, I mean we still need to add plenty more quality to this side over the next couple of years.

The most pleasing thing was that most on the list today contributed to some degree. Nobody had a howler. Toumpas I felt for for not being able to get into the game and making a few bad decisions early on.

Very happy with the consistency of most players. Others need to improve, or we need to continue to get skilled players around them.

For the most part, our team is a hell of a lot more balanced. Both in having players who are smart and can use it and who also compete hard.

• Like 6

Viney was obviously very good, but I feel like Garland isn't getting enough kudos for his efforts on Ablett. I was at the game and the two of them split the job pretty much 50/50 as far as I could see, and Col made for a very effective (if not quite as violent) shadow in his own right.

• Like 12

Nope

Yep

Don't tinker too much with a winning formula. Some minor fine tuning of the obvious is ok (Vince for Toump)

We should look at which areas of the ground where we think GWS are better than the Gold Coast, Do we bring in Dawes for a tall or for a small, possibly Toumpas, JKH go out for Dawes and Vince

It is taking a while to sink in.

My wife said to me you are unusually quiet after this win.

I still am having trouble with the concept, it seems so foreign.

This is probably going to sound strange but my day grew immeasurably better when the druggies got done.

I had exactly the same day OD.

Spirit was dampened watching Essendrug well on top early....then the miracle result. What a relief on both counts and for very different reasons!

I had actually given up ranting anymore about our woes after end of last season. I had accepted that it is what it is and that Roos is the best man for the job. And that if he couldn't turn this club around nobody would. 1 win isn't gonna convince me we've suddenly turned the corner and everything is rosey but it sure as hell feels better than losing the first round!

I am tempted to use the Toyota catch cry here and leap into the air but after so many years of torture i'll keep that in reserve for a while yet.

• Like 2

wow

how good is it to feel that going in to each game that more than just luck and a bad performance from the opposition will make it a close game.

feels good to be hoping for something more this year

• Like 1

I had exactly the same day OD.

Spirit was dampened watching Essendrug well on top early....then the miracle result. What a relief on both counts and for very different reasons!

I had actually given up ranting anymore about our woes after end of last season. I had accepted that it is what it is and that Roos is the best man for the job. And that if he couldn't turn this club around nobody would. 1 win isn't gonna convince me we've suddenly turned the corner and everything is rosey but it sure as hell feels better than losing the first round!

I am tempted to use the Toyota catch cry here and leap into the air but after so many years of torture i'll keep that in reserve for a while yet.

Agree RN there are still a number of VFL players on our list but have a way better list now than in 2012/3.

The mistake was because of lack of confidence, not lack of skills...i wouldn't look too much into it either...

Yes Roos has said publicly that he rates Toumpas as having elite skills but what worries him about him is that he is too hard on himself. Obviously some people constantly remind him of the comparison to Ollie Wines since we drafted him above Ollie. In Roos view, this has put far to much pressure on him and he has been unable to play his natural game.

I rememvber when he was first drafted and played his first NAB Cup game at Ethiad, he did some sublimely skilful things (incidentally the first game we saw the wonderful skill of Jesse Hogan) and I thought wow we have a star here. He has never lived up to it, presumably as PR says because. "He puts too much pressure on himself"

Maybe it is time us supporters backed off a bit on Jimmy. I think we have done a similar job on Jack Watts over the years and maybe it is just now that Jack has developed the maturity to handle it.

Maybe we could do ourselves all a big favour and let these players develop their natural games. I'm sure that is what the new coaching staff are on about when they say they are not going to rush young players to be the saviours of the club. All power to them. At last we might be maturing as an organisation. It is very very rare when you see the maturity of the Angus Brayshaw we saw today.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 10

Once McCartney gets Watts sorted, I've got no doubt Toumpas will become his pet project. So much talent that needs to be unleashed, can't think of a better coach to do it.

Leave Roos to deal with the ones and hand off the developing kids to Brendan.

• Like 1